World Cup Soccer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your answers on the thumb sucking thing.

Portugal vs. England has become one of the classic new rivalries in recent years. This is going to be a great one -- maybe even more compelling than Argentina vs. Germany, only because of the recent history between the two.

What I hope for (other than an England victory) is that the referees do not decide the match and that the game is clean, fair and full of action.
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
What I hope for (other than an England victory) is that the referees do not decide the match and that the game is clean, fair and full of action.

John Terry, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Frank Lampard, Owen Hargreaves, Sol Campbell, etc.

Scolari for 12th.
Divac12_NoviBeograd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:

Here is some great pics of various fans in Germany.

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Icon.woa/1/wo/cDAr2LhMx4lZclZqL43uow/34.0.7.23.ThumbnailDisplay.3.0.23.1.5.1.0.1.0
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject:

Is Cristian Ronaldo lacing them up today? What is the injury status?
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"We don't know about Ronaldo," Scolari told a press conference at the Portuguese training camp. "We're still awaiting word on his fitness.

"I'll decide if he plays just a couple of hours before the match," said the Brazilian.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2006porengronaldoscolar&prov=afp&type=lgns

=/!! We'll just have to wait i guess...

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Ronaldo better not wuss out...but if he does...somebody get Figo some 'roids.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

And another 2 teams have to leave the tourney. I only got to watch most of the 2nd half of the Argentina-Germany game during my lunch hour and it looked like a classic!

In the 2nd game, Italy looked much better than Ukraine and all 3 goals were really nice. I was surprised that there wasn't as much diving as you'd usually see from Italy, but the score probably had something to do with it.

The next 2 games to decide the final 4 will be great. I think Cristiano Ronaldo will play against England, though I don't think he will be effective and probably won't last the whole game. Brazil, the powerhouse that they are, shouldn't take France lightly either. Even though France are past their prime they are peaking at the right time. An upset is not out of the question.

Anybody care to predict their scores prior to the games?

I'll say England 2-1 over Portugal (I think Lampard finally hits for one) and Brazil 3-1 over France with a late goal to seal the deal.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!! I got England winning 2-1 as well, and Brazil shutting out the Frenchies 2-0.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!! I got England winning 2-1 as well, and Brazil shutting out the Frenchies 2-0.

From your keyboard to Gods computer monitor.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

Missed opportunity by England during Penalty Kicks Cost them. I hate Penalty Kicks.
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

PORTUGAL BABY!!!!!!
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ALPHA ~ LakerSanity ~ 24 ~ Exick ~ ElginBaylor ~ TheBigRuski ~ re4ee ~ JerryMagicKobe ~ mbloves L.A. ~ unggoy ~ encina1~ Jesseca328 ~ phayze one ~ Flo'z
Jesseca328
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRAZILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO =[ =[ =[ =[, UGH!!

TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Brazil just lost me 300 bucks.............
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Wow! Looks like this is the tourney of the referee!

The dream matchup would have been Brazil vs. England. Absolutely horrible call on Rooney for the red card! Just brutal! He's got possession of the ball, is being tackled by 2 players and in the middle of being tackled he steps on Carvalho. No yellow card to Portugal, not even a free kick to England. Nope, it's a straight red for Rooney.

England was controlling the game, even with Beckham out by injury. Even with 10 against 11 for an hour England had chances to score and ice the game. Lennon was pulled down in the penalty area and there was no call. A handball in the penalty area by Portugal was not called either.

In the end, England fought hard to reach penalty kicks, only to lose. What a heartbreaking way to go down!
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:

The dream matchup would have been Brazil vs. England. Absolutely horrible call on Rooney for the red card! Just brutal! He's got possession of the ball, is being tackled by 2 players and in the middle of being tackled he steps on Carvalho. No yellow card to Portugal, not even a free kick to England. Nope, it's a straight red for Rooney.

England was controlling the game, even with Beckham out by injury. Even with 10 against 11 for an hour England had chances to score and ice the game. Lennon was pulled down in the penalty area and there was no call. A handball in the penalty area by Portugal was not called either.

In the end, England fought hard to reach penalty kicks, only to lose. What a heartbreaking way to go down!

*Homer Alert*

First of all, England in no way was controlling the game, only a homer would say that. The game was damn near dead even in time of possession (Portugal 51%, England 49%), but the shots on goal weren't even close! 26-13 Portugal, that is laughable.

Secondly, The red wasn't just for the kick to the groin, it was for him shoving Ronaldo and swearing at people. He commited TWO of the seven offense of which one can be given a red card.

Quote:
Red Card - A player must be shown a Red Card and "sent off" (i.e., made to leave the field) for the 7 offenses listed below. A player shown a "Red Card" & sent off may not be replaced during that game (i.e., his team must play a player "short" for the rest of the game; however, in some leagues a player may be replaced if he is ejected for receiving a second Yellow Card). The 7 offenses for which a player must be shown a Red Card and sent off are:
serious foul play (includes any use of excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball. Examples include a dangerous slide tackle from behind, or an "over the top tackle" in which a player raises his foot so the cleats could hit a player, or a two footed tackle that takes down the opponent. FIFA has broadened this definition by saying that "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play. For current rules visit www.fifa.com, Laws of the Game. The above quote is from Questions and Answers, Additional Instructions for Referees).

violent conduct,

spitting at anyone,

a deliberate hand ball to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity,

fouling an opponent to prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., holding to stop a breakaway),

using offensive or threatening language,

or receiving a second yellow card in one game.

Soccer Rules

No need to be a sore loser.

"Hero'is do mar, nobre povo,
Nac,a~o valente, imortal
Levantai hoje de novo,
O esplendor de Portugal
Entre as brumas da memo'ria,
O' pa'tria sente-se a voz
Dos teus egre'gios avo's
Que ha'-de guiar-te `a vito'ria.

`As armas! `As armas!
Sobre a terra e sobre o mar!
`As armas! `As armas!
Pela Pa'tria lutar!

Contra os canho~es marchar, marchar!"
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Man, Im happy Brazil lost, people skip work/classes on game days and then the city goes crazy after a W. And that team played (bleep) all the time. All bout Italy now, I gotta repreent after all I come from an Italian family.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

*Homer Alert*

First of all, England in no way was controlling the game, only a homer would say that. The game was damn near dead even in time of possession (Portugal 51%, England 49%), but the shots on goal weren't even close! 26-13 Portugal, that is laughable.

Secondly, The red wasn't just for the kick to the groin, it was for him shoving Ronaldo and swearing at people. He commited TWO of the seven offense of which one can be given a red card.

Quote:
Red Card - A player must be shown a Red Card and "sent off" (i.e., made to leave the field) for the 7 offenses listed below. A player shown a "Red Card" & sent off may not be replaced during that game (i.e., his team must play a player "short" for the rest of the game; however, in some leagues a player may be replaced if he is ejected for receiving a second Yellow Card). The 7 offenses for which a player must be shown a Red Card and sent off are:
serious foul play (includes any use of excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball. Examples include a dangerous slide tackle from behind, or an "over the top tackle" in which a player raises his foot so the cleats could hit a player, or a two footed tackle that takes down the opponent. FIFA has broadened this definition by saying that "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play. For current rules visit www.fifa.com, Laws of the Game. The above quote is from Questions and Answers, Additional Instructions for Referees).

violent conduct,

spitting at anyone,

fouling an opponent to prevent an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., holding to stop a breakaway),

Soccer Rules

Nac,a~o valente, imortal
Levantai hoje de novo,
O esplendor de Portugal
Dos teus egre'gios avo's

`As armas! `As armas!
`As armas! `As armas!
Pela Pa'tria lutar!

Insidepresence, I notice you sign off your post in Portuguese, so I'm guessing you're probably a homer on the other side.

I wonder what your thoughts are on allowing Figo to play this game after headbutting a Dutch player?

Why am I a sore loser, because I said it looks like the tourney of the referee? Even FIFA President Blatter has criticized his referees in this tournament, (are you taking notes, Commissioner Stern?) even before today's games.

What did you think of Henry's uncalled offside goal which eliminated Brazil today? Or what about the phantom penalty called with 12 seconds left in the Italy-Australia game? How about referee Graham Poll booking a player 3 times with nobody noticing? All are examples of where referees impacted games.

To use those game stats that you posted is misleading. England played for an hour with one man down so it's only natural that Portugal should statistically be better after the game. Even coach Scolari has said that England pushed Portugal like they were a full squad.

On the Rooney play, he had control of the ball against 2 defenders who were pulling him down. At the very least, it's a free kick for England, not a red card the other way. Rooney's a big boy -- if he wanted to hurt a player with a stomp he would do it! He stepped on the Portugal player in keeping his balance while being brought down. He may have a temper but he's not a dirty player.

Hmm....I guess a push is more offensive than a headbutt.

By the way, I'm loving this World Cup thread!

Here in Toronto, we've got vibrant Italian, Portuguese, and to a lesser extent German and French communities, among others. On Friday it was party central in Little Italy and right now Little Portugal is still partying in the streets 9 hrs later. I'm of Greek heritage and I'll tell you, after Greece won Euro 2004 I headed to the Greektown to party. A lot of obviously dejected Portuguese fans were also there. You would think there would be trouble, right? Wrong! Greek fans congratulated the Portuguese fans on a good game and hosting a great tourney. Portuguese fans were congratulating Greek fans for the win. There were even a couple of games of keep-up in the street with both Greek & Portuguese jersey-wearing players. Totally awesome!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that, like here in Toronto, this post has not become ugly. I don't recall any malicious or derogatory posts even though it would probably be easy to do. It's great that we can "battle it out" here, among friends as Laker fans, even though we are all located around the world.

By the way, how great would a game be between England and Portugal teams that are fully fit!

My guess is that without a doubt, England would win easily!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Jesseca328 wrote:
PORTUGAL BABY!!!!!!
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The goalie was awesome for Portugal in the penalty kicks, I think he touched every one of them, incredible.

Congrats!
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject:

For the first time this world cup I was actually rooting for england. This was by far thier best game and they pushed really hard in the second half. Portugal was doing a lot of defending. Luck wasnt on thier side today I was praying they wouldnt go on to penalties b/c as usual I knew they would choke...
at Rooney for getting that red card. He should have known better. I love how fierce he is but I do hope his atitude wouldnt be his downfall
and for whatever reason there's something I find incredibly irritating about Christian Ronalda(Bash me all you want ) but I've never liked the kid that much. I think it started during Euro 2004.Thank goodness they didnt win
My day want all bad though. I knew France was gonna be able to handle Brazil and they'll handle portugal too(hopefully). I love me some Henry
France and Germany would be my dream final. Those are two of my favourite teams out of all the european powerhouses

RIP Jayden Odom
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:
insidepresence wrote:
Canadian Laker wrote:

*Homer Alert*

Quote:

violent conduct,

spitting at anyone,

Soccer Rules

Nac,a~o valente, imortal
Levantai hoje de novo,
O esplendor de Portugal
Dos teus egre'gios avo's

`As armas! `As armas!
`As armas! `As armas!
Pela Pa'tria lutar!

Insidepresence, I notice you sign off your post in Portuguese, so I'm guessing you're probably a homer on the other side.

I wonder what your thoughts are on allowing Figo to play this game after headbutting a Dutch player?

Why am I a sore loser, because I said it looks like the tourney of the referee? Even FIFA President Blatter has criticized his referees in this tournament, (are you taking notes, Commissioner Stern?) even before today's games.

What did you think of Henry's uncalled offside goal which eliminated Brazil today? Or what about the phantom penalty called with 12 seconds left in the Italy-Australia game? How about referee Graham Poll booking a player 3 times with nobody noticing? All are examples of where referees impacted games.

To use those game stats that you posted is misleading. England played for an hour with one man down so it's only natural that Portugal should statistically be better after the game. Even coach Scolari has said that England pushed Portugal like they were a full squad.
!

Here in Toronto, we've got vibrant Italian, Portuguese, and to a lesser extent German and French communities, among others. On Friday it was party central in Little Italy and right now Little Portugal is still partying in the streets 9 hrs later. I'm of Greek heritage and I'll tell you, after Greece won Euro 2004 I headed to the Greektown to party. A lot of obviously dejected Portuguese fans were also there. You would think there would be trouble, right? Wrong! Greek fans congratulated the Portuguese fans on a good game and hosting a great tourney. Portuguese fans were congratulating Greek fans for the win. There were even a couple of games of keep-up in the street with both Greek & Portuguese jersey-wearing players. Totally awesome!
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that, like here in Toronto, this post has not become ugly. I don't recall any malicious or derogatory posts even though it would probably be easy to do. It's great that we can "battle it out" here, among friends as Laker fans, even though we are all located around the world.

By the way, how great would a game be between England and Portugal teams that are fully fit!

RIP Jayden Odom
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I love world cup time b/c you really get to see whow multicultural this great city is. The flags on different houses, bieng able to watch a game at a bar even you're not the same nationality, the excitment etcec. ... At my cousin's highschool they had a jersy day when the tournament kicked off and everybody could wear the jersey of thier ancestry or the team they liked if thiers wasnt participating and bring flags etc. (they have uniforms) He said it was great. I wonder if this same kind of world cup fever is happening in the states b/c from what I've heard bieng an immigrant isnt exactly the most popular thing

RIP Jayden Odom
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject:

my predictions stay ALIVE!!!

France wins it all!!!

haha
yes!

Viva Italia!
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Canadian Laker wrote:

On the Rooney play, he had control of the ball against 2 defenders who were pulling him down. At the very least, it's a free kick for England, not a red card the other way. Rooney's a big boy -- if he wanted to hurt a player with a stomp he would do it! He stepped on the Portugal player in keeping his balance while being brought down. He may have a temper but he's not a dirty player.

Hmm....I guess a push is more offensive than a headbutt.

By the way, I'm loving this World Cup thread!

Haha, I agree, its good that nothing gets ugly. It is very refreshing. Hey the refs have been bad, I do agree, I was more just kidding with you than anything. Also pointing out that the refs did have the right to make that call, so its not as if it was unjustified. Sure Figo head butted another player, but was it called? Nope, and that is my point. You said it was bad refing, I just corrected you saying that the ref completely had the right to make the call. I don't doubt that what Figo did was dirty, and had it been called, I wouldn't dispute you. I'm sure though if both teams had been fit (or in Deco and Costinhas cases not ill tempered) it would have been a great match...not that it wasn't anyway...cheers
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

bballfan4life wrote:
For the first time this world cup I was actually rooting for england. This was by far thier best game and they pushed really hard in the second half. Portugal was doing a lot of defending. Luck wasnt on thier side today I was praying they wouldnt go on to penalties b/c as usual I knew they would choke...
at Rooney for getting that red card. He should have known better. I love how fierce he is but I do hope his atitude wouldnt be his downfall
and for whatever reason there's something I find incredibly irritating about Christian Ronalda(Bash me all you want ) but I've never liked the kid that much. I think it started during Euro 2004.Thank goodness they didnt win
My day want all bad though. I knew France was gonna be able to handle Brazil and they'll handle portugal too(hopefully). I love me some Henry
France and Germany would be my dream final. Those are two of my favourite teams out of all the european powerhouses

His name is Cristiano...but yes he is very irritating. I think it has something to do with him being softer than paper ...though you can't deny his skills, he is very talented
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
bballfan4life wrote:

His name is Cristiano...but yes he is very irritating. I think it has something to do with him being softer than paper ...though you can't deny his skills, he is very talented

I knew that. I just couldnt spell it right This guy would probably be soccer's equivalent to Dwade. I hate that "baby having a tantrum" face when the refs dont call a foul he wsnts.. :roll: Just keep playing. You cant deny his skills though.The one thing I dont like is how he dribbles and tries to do all this fancy foot work and then ends up loosing the ball. I think that's what annoys me most of all. You'e not Ronaldinhno buddy, dont worry about it

RIP Jayden Odom
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: