Gaming Sytems: Xbox 360 - Ps3 - Wii.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I already got a 360...What I meant by dumbed down was in regards to texture quality, polygons, etc... I wasn't talking about the controller. Oh and almost all 3rd party games on the 360 are $60 so I don't know what you are talking about.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

^^ So just cause it's so on the 360 makes it the norm when history has shown that games have been priced around the same price as first party games? Great argument there.

As for the dumbed down part, it's true the graphics are not up to the power of the 360 and PS3. However, that doesn't mean the games are inferior. If a system was all about power and specs, then no way anyone would lose by going with a PC instead of a console.

Also, in other news, Microsoft announces a software upgrade to make the 360 output games at 1080p. Ouch for Sony:

Quote:
At their pre-TGS press briefing in Tokyo today, Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will support 1080p content through a software upgrade. The "p" stands for parity.

Microsoft's announcement -- which effectively parries Sony's bold claims regarding the merits of 1080p high definition content or, as Sony calls it, True HD -- is their latest move seeking to blunt the impact of the oncoming Sony PS3 hype-train. With the True HD cat de-clawed, Microsoft's mantra of choice will appear even more appealing. It's another bullet point taken out of the next-gen console war equation.

Joystiq spoke briefly with Shane Kim, General Manager of Microsoft Game Studios, about their announcements in Tokyo today. First off, Kim clarified that, while the software patch would upscale all content to resolutions as high as 1080p, Microsoft themselves had no plans to produce gaming content taking advantage of this ability. He was similarly convinced that very few other developers would see the value in producing 1080p games, with the singular exception of Sony's first-party studios, eager to validate the value of the capability.

A bit more in link
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Also, in other news, Microsoft announces a software upgrade to make the 360 output games at 1080p. Ouch for Sony:

[quoteMicrosoft's announcement -- which effectively parries Sony's bold claims regarding the merits of 1080p high definition content or, as Sony calls it, True HD -- is their latest move seeking to blunt the impact of the oncoming Sony PS3 hype-train. With the True HD cat de-clawed, Microsoft's mantra of choice will appear even more appealing. It's another bullet point taken out of the next-gen console war equation.

Joystiq spoke briefly with Shane Kim, General Manager of Microsoft Game Studios, about their announcements in Tokyo today. First off, Kim clarified that, while the software patch would upscale all content to resolutions as high as 1080p, Microsoft themselves had no plans to produce gaming content taking advantage of this ability. He was similarly convinced that very few other developers would see the value in producing 1080p games, with the singular exception of Sony's first-party studios, eager to validate the value of the capability.

A bit more in link[/quote]

Nice find Zhengi.

I know quite a few people who work in the gaming industry and it's a rather shame that the Xbox vs. PS3 vs. Wii always turn into a pissing match. Fact of the matter is the consumers are really being left in the dark with all the technical jargon being thrown around. Xbox nor Sony have any games that take full advantage of the "powerful processors or grafx chips." Xbox will most likely see games pushing the console to it's full potential sooner only because it's been out for almost a year and developers have had time to catch up.

IMO Sony really have alot of things going against them with the upcoming release of the PS3. It seems to me Sony is really being vague about what the PS3 is really capable of and what we should expect. As I stated in my previous post I really wanted to hold out for a PS3 but too many things about it seems shady. For instance:

1. They talk about 100% free online play on an "open platform". What that means is instead of a unified online multiplayer system like Xbox live they will leave it in the hands of the game makers. Thus, the game developers will have to provide their own servers where they can charge a pay-to-play fee..after-all who's going to pay for the servers? In addition, if you've ever played on a free servers you know how crappy it is with non-existent admins and lack of support once the game starts losing popularity.

2. 1080p yup it's "true hd" and yes the PS3 supports it. Is it going to be used on every game for the PS3? Not quite...most developers are still producing in 720p or 1080i. Alot of the games coming out even if played on a 1080p unit will be downscaled to a lower hd mode. I foresee alot of untechnical savy people being quite disappointed to find out that their $600 console needs quite an expensive TV to make use of it's technology.

3.Blu-Ray.. it's dope I want one.. I'm a movie junkie! BUT, it's just a bad idea when the format hasn't been deemed "industry standard" yet. As a matter of fact it could take YEARS for either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to claim the title. For either format to really take over the market now we're talking about more than just people buying a new player.. it's buying a new TV unit. See ^ regarding 1080p.

4.With the high price tag and lower units being made available it's the perfect time for the Nintendo Wii and Xbox to grab consumers who are straddling the line. I'm thinking that by Christmas time we'll see a drop in the 360's price to be even more competitive. The Wii imo will see great success this holiday. Whether the controllers are a gimmick or not it doesn't matter....it's priced to move! And eventhough many are dismissing it as a "kiddy" console.. they got the big boys ready to make all the big titles for them: EA, Midway, UbiSoft, THQ. This isn't elementary kids Nintendo anymore. If Nintendo is smart they won't allow major retailers to overprice and "bundle pack" their units. They do that and I think they'll fly off the shelves.

5. Here's a couple of good articles:
HD-DVD or Blu-Ray Dead Formats Walking

Hi-Tech BS explained by Gabe Newell of Valve Software

Bottomline, the PS3 boasts some pretty impressive technology... unfortunately alot of it isn't really feasible at the moment. They make it sound like it is but it just isn't so. It's called marketing. Get the latest and greatest so you're ahead of the competition. Sony may be a little too far ahead.. even for themselves.

Sony is gambling on the PS3 to become the future standard of gaming and for the home movie experience. I just don't foresee people holding their breath or holding on to a PS3 for 5-10 years. By the time developers and consumers catch-up there's bound to be the next Xbox, next Nintendo, next Hi-Def distribution system, next whatever.

Take it easy all.. remember it's just gaming!
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

^^ From the article that XTN provided:

Quote:
"Statements about 'Oh, the PS3 is going to be twice as fast as an Xbox 360' are totally meaningless . It means nothing. It's surprising that game customers don't realize how it treats them like idiots. The assumption is that you're going to swallow that kind of system, when in fact there's no code that has been run on both of those architectures that is anything close to a realistic proxy for game performance. So to make a statement like that, I'm worried for the customers. And that we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and that we're lying to them all the time. That's a problem because in the long run, it will have an impact on our sales."

That is a rough criticism. Even though it's a year old statement, I have to wonder just how true that is. I'm not much of a coder, so if anyone with coding experiencing can go into more detail, it would be appreciated.

As for it's just gaming, yeah, it is. It's just interesting to get different perspectives on the 3 consoles.

I think I've already mentioned that for me the most important part of gaming is gameplay. Others feel it's the graphics. It'll be an interesting few years as more games come out for each system. I can't wait. In the meantime, I'm going to continue playing on my DS
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
^^ From the article that XTN provided:

Quote:
"Statements about 'Oh, the PS3 is going to be twice as fast as an Xbox 360' are totally meaningless . It means nothing. It's surprising that game customers don't realize how it treats them like idiots. The assumption is that you're going to swallow that kind of system, when in fact there's no code that has been run on both of those architectures that is anything close to a realistic proxy for game performance. So to make a statement like that, I'm worried for the customers. And that we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and that we're lying to them all the time. That's a problem because in the long run, it will have an impact on our sales."

That is a rough criticism. Even though it's a year old statement, I have to wonder just how true that is. I'm not much of a coder, so if anyone with coding experiencing can go into more detail, it would be appreciated.

As for it's just gaming, yeah, it is. It's just interesting to get different perspectives on the 3 consoles.

I think I've already mentioned that for me the most important part of gaming is gameplay. Others feel it's the graphics. It'll be an interesting few years as more games come out for each system. I can't wait. In the meantime, I'm going to continue playing on my DS

I agree Gabe had some pretty harsh comments... and although it's a year old statement it's still a rehash of things that I hear today. I have a couple of friends who develop games for a couple of big companies... Thq and Insomniac to be exact. They both have shared the same sentiment to me about the PS3 and 360 ... regardless of what uber-technologies they may have they're both still very similar and the industry still haven't been able to utilize either console to their full potential. We may be waiting awhile to see the what they can really do. They both also shared the same view that both systems are a pain in the butt to work on, with the 360 being the lesser of the two evils. I kind of understand their "nerd speak" but from what I can gather it has to do with multithreading and what have you. I'll try and see if one of them can post and give us all a more simplified explanation.

I went to E3 this past year and really wanted to check out the Wii but the line was ridiculously long. One of my friends who used to do marketing for Vivendi had an opportunity to try the controllers and said it's the "real deal." Her take on the whole battle is very compelling from a business pov. Sony, MS, and Nintendo have upped the ante with their target market being older (25-35) with children, this demographic arguably has the best amount of disposable income. This is where she thinks Nintendo will make a killing... parents who are looking to buy their kids a gaming system this holiday will like the price of the Wii and also the fact they can relate to having played an original NES growing up. I know as a parent I find the Wii to be very appealling for these aspects. I haven't played Zelda in 20 years but if I can play it w/ my kid that would just rock!

Although Nintendo hasn't put out a console to really battle the big two, this time around they can take comfort in the fact that the DS has made Nintendo an easily recognizable and likable brand with the kids demographic.

You got it down pat.. I too think it will all come down to gameplay. Both the 360 and PS3 are sharing alot of the same game titles this time around. Eventhough the PS3 can have games on Blu-ray and 1080p no matter how good the grafx are it can't turn crappy gameplay into a good game. One of the first games for the PS3 to be in 1080p is Virtua Tennis
it's suppose to be graphically uber-realistic ... but for my sake and many others I think literally swinging w/ a controller is more realistic.

I personally like where Xbox is heading with PC gamers being able to play online with 360 gamers. I still play alot of games on PC, as do alot of my friends, and if Xbox can tie that gap together I'm all for it. I'm still debating about picking up a PS3 but the Wii is definitely more appealling to me as I think that my kid and I will have more fun with the interactive gameplay.. it doesn't hurt that it costs significantly less as well.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm a graphics whore...the Wii only supports 480p and is around 3x stronger than a GC. It's time for next gen. If you like throwing a controller around for a few hours I guess a Wii would be nice. I'm willing to bet that with all the technology in the controller the development cost per game will require 3rd party game developers to charge more than $50 for their games.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject:

so ps3 just announced they are dropping their price by 20%

New Ps3 Pricing

leave it to the sly guys at sony. announce the price unreasonably high, then drop it. make people they think they're getting a $600 system for much cheaper. well played.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject:

sony will win the console wars again...you can count on that.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

New Ps3 Pricing

leave it to the sly guys at sony. announce the price unreasonably high, then drop it. make people they think they're getting a $600 system for much cheaper. well played.

If it's true and it applies to the US and the rest of the world as well, then it's a good move. After the beating the PS3 has been taking lately with all the mistakes Sony has made, they needed to do something in order to bring back consumer confidence to their side.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

New Ps3 Pricing

Except that the price cut so far has been announced for Japan only and it is for the 20GB system (the $500 one in the states) not the 60GB ($600) one.
We'll see if Sony manages to pull their heads out of their asses.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Will the Wii have NBA 2k7?
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject:

he_is_the_one wrote:

That's all I care about.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

he_is_the_one wrote:

Well IGN doesn't even show it in their previews section so I would say no. Besides it will look like trash on the Wii.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
he_is_the_one wrote:

Well IGN doesn't even show it in their previews section so I would say no. Besides it will look like trash on the Wii.

Wow, why so much hatred towards the Wii? It's not like the graphics are going to be that bad either. They're nothing compared to the other systems, but trash? A little excessive there, non?
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
I'm a graphics whore...the Wii only supports 480p and is around 3x stronger than a GC. It's time for next gen. If you like throwing a controller around for a few hours I guess a Wii would be nice. I'm willing to bet that with all the technology in the controller the development cost per game will require 3rd party game developers to charge more than $50 for their games.

If you're a graphics whore why even bother with consoles when a pc can run circles around anything ms or sony can put out? If it's the gaming experience then Wii just like 360 and the ps3 will provide more than adequate content to those who are looking for *gasp* fun playing video games.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
he_is_the_one wrote:

Wow, why so much hatred towards the Wii? It's not like the graphics are going to be that bad either. They're nothing compared to the other systems, but trash? A little excessive there, non?

I've seen the gameplay footage of both the Wii and 360 versions of Madden 07 and I have to say that the Wii stacks up nicely. Certainly it's not as powerful graphically, but I think jumping to conclusions without ever having seen the thing in action is premature. I know the fact that it doesn't do HD will turn some people off, but personally I don't find that terribly significant.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Last week's excitement over Sony dropping the price of the PS3 in Japan may prove to be short lived with news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show that some PS3 games may cost nearly $100. Sources indicate that several PS3 games will retail for around $76 to $84, well above the current generation's $40 to $50; the price increase can be chalked up to increased development costs. Sony seems to have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot, no?

$600.00 system, $100.00 games... Cocaine is a helluva drug...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

XTN wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

If you're a graphics whore why even bother with consoles when a pc can run circles around anything ms or sony can put out? If it's the gaming experience then Wii just like 360 and the ps3 will provide more than adequate content to those who are looking for *gasp* fun playing video games.

Yeah, exactly. I'm a PC guy myself. At least I was when I used to play games. I always laughed at the people that got all crazy over gaming consoles and then shelled out 40-50 bucks per game. Even when I had a PS2 I just waited until the price of a game dropped to 20 bucks. Makes no difference to me if I get a game on the 1st day it's out or a year later.

Of course, if you can't afford a PC then it's a different story. Personally I think games are just so much better on PC. You can customize them more and they look better overall.
KobeBryant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

I acctually read that the Wii's graphics are on par if not slightly better then the 360 -

Quote:
Nintendo Wii will be visually on par with the Xbox 360 and may even exceed it slightly. This “mole” also says that the Wii will not be comparable with Playstation 3, which will be a vastly technically superior machine. The Wii has no HD capabilities but it connects to a computer monitor, the informer says this means something…

http://www.mozlapunk.net/homepage/?p=41
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:
Last week's excitement over Sony dropping the price of the PS3 in Japan may prove to be short lived with news coming out of the Tokyo Game Show that some PS3 games may cost nearly $100. Sources indicate that several PS3 games will retail for around $76 to $84, well above the current generation's $40 to $50; the price increase can be chalked up to increased development costs. Sony seems to have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot, no?

Where did you get this pricing info from?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
TACH wrote:
Quote:

Where did you get this pricing info from?

LINK
Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

^^ Thanks. Wow, that is pretty pricey for games. But then, Sony has to recoup their losses somehow especially if they plan on dropping the price for the PS3.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Just burn the games. They want to rob us? we'll rob them back !!
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Just burn the games. They want to rob us? we'll rob them back !!

Shh.... But then again, we have to wait until there's a good chip in order to do that. There's also the issue of how many games are going to be in the blu-ray format. Might be a little while before it's possible to do this
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

i know i know it was a joke

seriously though $600 for a system + $100 for games is crazy!! I love Sony and all, have a PS2 and my whole house is SONY!! but damn thats just pricy as hell!! I ve been actually considering a 360! At least until the PS3 becomes affordable, but that could take years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: