Gaming Sytems: Xbox 360 - Ps3 - Wii.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gaming Sytems: Xbox 360 - Ps3 - Wii.

lakers0505 wrote:
I was reading some articles about these systems last night and wasnt sure how good the new "motion sensing " technology would translate too gameing controlers. The wii's controller and system looks very interesting, i was thinking it would be a waste, then found myself thinking i could get it for my litter sister for xmas, then i realized it was going too be a big hit, its aimed at kids much like the snes and ness. The ps3 IMO, is going too crash and burn, i mean a 600 dollar price tag, online Question marks, and they took out rumble from their controllers which i think is going too be a huge mistake. I have an xbox 360, took a risk in most people eyes and got it because i had an xbox and loved it. As of now it looks like a great investiment , microsoft is throwing everything at it, and it has everything u could want.

dont be silly. PS3 isn't crashing or burning. i dont care what the price.
and if you've seen or heard the interview for 2K7 on the xbox 360. and how they talk about all the Ai they have now for the crowd and other things going on in the arena during the game, which is super crazy to imagine. and put that into context with the interviews about the difference between the ps3 and the 360. the ps3 has more room to push AI then the 360. Sure they say its harder to code for the ps3, but once you get it. its amazing. This means, how you interact and everything around you will be more life like.

have you ever noticed how the 2K guy talks about having 2K7 ready to be realeased for the ps3, on the ps3's launch date? and how they added a few more things to it, then they did to the 360. Same thing they said they did i believe for fight night 3. made a few more extras for the ps3.

ps3 will sell lot hot cakes. now granted if there are some horrid problems then of course that will cut profits. But lets be realistic here. a Blu-Ray player for $600.00 aint bad at all. Sure you could say we dont know if Blu-ray is the final end all to next gen home movies. but hey, maybe it is. and i broke down and got the 360 myself,just to hold me until that ps3 launches. well actually until the 2nd shipments hits. cause only fools or smart investors by any of these systems from the first batch. you already know there will be problems.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't see the PS3 crashing and burning at all, but sputtering is almost a guarantee. They recently cut their launch volume by about 75% with only 100,000 units being available in Japan and 400,000 in the U.S. on launch day, plus the European release was pushed back to March 2007. They still estimate that they will ship about 2 million units by the end of the year, which is more realistic than the earlier 4 million estimate. But it just seems like Sony has continued to do everything in their power to undermine the PS3 launch, not to mention the $500-$600 price tag. I still believe that Sony won't get the PS3 to store shelves this year, but that might just be the pessimist in me.

I think the Blu-Ray thing is going to turn out to be a non-issue. This isn't going to turn out like VHS vs. Betamax because of how similar the two formats are. The companies that make combined DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players are going to be the big winners because the average person isn't going to care and will want to be able to just go to the store and pick up the movie in whatever format it's in as long as it plays on his machine at home.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaming Sytems: Xbox 360 - Ps3 - Wii.

postandpivot wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
I was reading some articles about these systems last night and wasnt sure how good the new "motion sensing " technology would translate too gameing controlers. The wii's controller and system looks very interesting, i was thinking it would be a waste, then found myself thinking i could get it for my litter sister for xmas, then i realized it was going too be a big hit, its aimed at kids much like the snes and ness. The ps3 IMO, is going too crash and burn, i mean a 600 dollar price tag, online Question marks, and they took out rumble from their controllers which i think is going too be a huge mistake. I have an xbox 360, took a risk in most people eyes and got it because i had an xbox and loved it. As of now it looks like a great investiment , microsoft is throwing everything at it, and it has everything u could want.

dont be silly. PS3 isn't crashing or burning. i dont care what the price.
and if you've seen or heard the interview for 2K7 on the xbox 360. and how they talk about all the Ai they have now for the crowd and other things going on in the arena during the game, which is super crazy to imagine. and put that into context with the interviews about the difference between the ps3 and the 360. the ps3 has more room to push AI then the 360. Sure they say its harder to code for the ps3, but once you get it. its amazing. This means, how you interact and everything around you will be more life like.

have you ever noticed how the 2K guy talks about having 2K7 ready to be realeased for the ps3, on the ps3's launch date? and how they added a few more things to it, then they did to the 360. Same thing they said they did i believe for fight night 3. made a few more extras for the ps3.

ps3 will sell lot hot cakes. now granted if there are some horrid problems then of course that will cut profits. But lets be realistic here. a Blu-Ray player for $600.00 aint bad at all. Sure you could say we dont know if Blu-ray is the final end all to next gen home movies. but hey, maybe it is. and i broke down and got the 360 myself,just to hold me until that ps3 launches. well actually until the 2nd shipments hits. cause only fools or smart investors by any of these systems from the first batch. you already know there will be problems.

Actually, the PS3 is crashing and burning. A lot of people are turned off by the price tag. They can't justify buying a PS3 when with the same money, a person is able to buy both a 360 and a Wii.

Then came the announcements that Sony scraped its plans for a worldwide release with only 100,000 units going to Japan, 400,000 going to the US, and Europe is not getting any until March 2007. This is due to a problem for Sony trying to mass produce the blue lasers that are used in the blue ray. As a result, not only is this affecting their production of the PS3, but it is also affecting the production of blue-ray players. That means that Sony is off to a bad start not only in the gaming business, but also in the next gen DVD format.

There was also the report from IBM, the company that is making the CPU for the PS3, that they have only been 10-20% successful in producing working chips. The CPU is made of 8 cores, and the absolute minimum that a PS3 needs is 7 cores to remain working. If a PS3 with 7 cores suddenly loses one of its cores, then the PS3 becomes $600 of garbage. And, not to mention that if games do progress naturally, doesn't that mean that eventually, games would require all 8 cores to run at optimum speed? So if a PS3 has only 7 instead of the 8 cores working, wouldn't it affect performance?

So as of right now, the PS3 is crashing and burning. A lot of people are being turned off by Sony's inability to keep their promises. They're still predicting they'll have 6 million PS3s ready by March of 2007. They'll be lucky if they even reach 4 million by that time.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
I don't see the PS3 crashing and burning at all, but sputtering is almost a guarantee. They recently cut their launch volume by about 75% with only 100,000 units being available in Japan and 400,000 in the U.S. on launch day, plus the European release was pushed back to March 2007. They still estimate that they will ship about 2 million units by the end of the year, which is more realistic than the earlier 4 million estimate. But it just seems like Sony has continued to do everything in their power to undermine the PS3 launch, not to mention the $500-$600 price tag. I still believe that Sony won't get the PS3 to store shelves this year, but that might just be the pessimist in me.

I think the Blu-Ray thing is going to turn out to be a non-issue. This isn't going to turn out like VHS vs. Betamax because of how similar the two formats are. The companies that make combined DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players are going to be the big winners because the average person isn't going to care and will want to be able to just go to the store and pick up the movie in whatever format it's in as long as it plays on his machine at home.

Actually, it is VHS vs. Betamax all over again. Here's an article that will explain what I mean:

Quote:
For consumers, a device that could play both HD DVDs and Blu-ray discs would take a lot of risk out of adopting the new video players--but one may not arrive for a while.

Legal agreements, intellectual property issues and technological pride will likely keep the two camps backing incompatible next-generation technologies from coming together in the near future, executives and analysts said.

"Until everyone agrees to check their egos at the door and help the consumer, there is nothing we can do about a universal product," said Peter Weedfald, a senior vice president of marketing at Samsung North America.

HD DVD and Blu-ray are competing video and storage formats for succeeding DVDs. While some movie studios said in mid-2005 that they were open to merging the two formats, by late summer, such talk had fizzled out.

Meanwhile, the technological world is bitterly divided. Sony, Samsung, Philips and Dell are among the Blu-ray backers. Intel, Microsoft and Toshiba are on the HD DVD side. Hewlett-Packard has said it will support both contenders.

Pride and ill-will seem to play a significant part in the debate. As in the old Betamax-VHS debate, both sides believe they have each found the formula that more perfectly suits consumers' desires.

Steve Kovsky, an analyst at Current Analysis, recalled a meeting in Tokyo last year at a major Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer. A reporter asked about a "universal" player. The executive leading the tour blew up and called the notion "stupid."

"Japanese executives in general are very political, so this was very surprising," Kovsky said. "Technically, it is possible...but at this point, it doesn't look like it will happen, which is a shame, because it will hinder adoption."

More in Link
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I hate that PS3 is going to be so ridiculously expensive. At that price, I'd rather buy a new computer.

The thing that holds me is that I am a Final Fantasy fan, and as far as I can tell, the series will continue with Sony Playstation. I hate the idea of buying a console for just one game, especially at that price. I'll just have to learn to live without it.

I'd better stock up on PS1 and PS2 games before they become hard to find.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:

i don't know about you guys but the wii looks pretty sweet to me. at that price i think i may have to get one.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I hate that PS3 is going to be so ridiculously expensive. At that price, I'd rather buy a new computer.

^^it is a new computer. and so is the xbox 360. anytime it comes with a hard dive, sound card, video card, and usb cables, its a computer.

I'm serious, if the ps2 could be a computer with Linux. you know the ps3 will be 10 times more powerful. You think if i Paid $600 cool ones for a system i wouldn't figure out how to put Windows Vista on that puppy?

$600 tells me its a do all machine. I might find away to make it iron for me.

come on fellas, dont be fooled stop pricing the $600 ps3 system against the lowest xbox360 core. because anyone with the premium knows good and well the core is only 70% of the experience. you can't download a demo of that new 2k7 without the harddrive. so whats the real xbox 360 price, also throw in the fact that microsoft is talking about selling you an Add on, to make it HD-DVD capable. and that add on will make the xbox360 how much? darn near the same as the ps3.

for $600 you get it all with no gimmics, no addons, unless maybe they finally produce bigger harddrives for either of these machines. the 20gb is weak if you ask me. come on we're in the 400gigs realm now for desktops. can i at least get a 80gig. and no i dont want to put my own in and use blackmarket software to run backup games. thats not the point. i need MS and Sony to do it right.

and to the other guy that said, more or less lets boycott sony for a little while and pick up the wii because the price is so high.

i would normally agree, if it was priced more then it was worth. this thing aint no emachine. the system is cutting edge, and will therefore cost you cutting edge dollars. perhaps its like a new BMW or above. sure everyone does have one. but a lot of people do. the wii is the honda civic. its affordable,small great gas mileage. so why not. xbox 360 without the hD-dvd add on is an Acura, nice car but it aint no BMW.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:

^^ The problem with your analogy of cars and video game systems is that what powers the video game systems are the games. If the games aren't up to par with the video game system, then what's the point of getting it?

As for the HD-DVD, the the difference between that and the PS3 is that the PS3 forces you to buy it while the HD-DVD is optional. It's not necessary to buy it at all in order to play the games that you want. Now if Sony would have come out with a PS3 without the blue-ray, then the price would be a lot lower and it would be a no brainer to get this system. So with Sony trying to force every person who gets a PS3 to buy it with the blue-ray, they've forced a lot of people not to buy the system. Besides, there is no guarantee that blue-ray will be the dominating next gen DVD format. If it fails in that part of the market, then everyone who buys a PS3 would have an obsolete format.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
^^ The problem with your analogy of cars and video game systems is that what powers the video game systems are the games. If the games aren't up to par with the video game system, then what's the point of getting it?

As for the HD-DVD, the the difference between that and the PS3 is that the PS3 forces you to buy it while the HD-DVD is optional. It's not necessary to buy it at all in order to play the games that you want. Now if Sony would have come out with a PS3 without the blue-ray, then the price would be a lot lower and it would be a no brainer to get this system. So with Sony trying to force every person who gets a PS3 to buy it with the blue-ray, they've forced a lot of people not to buy the system. Besides, there is no guarantee that blue-ray will be the dominating next gen DVD format. If it fails in that part of the market, then everyone who buys a PS3 would have an obsolete format.

word on the street is that sony will have a minimal version. which will be so minimal it almost isn't a ps3. like u suggested. NO Blu-Ray, maybe no harddrive(not sure about that), and a slew of other NO this and No that.

and i hear you. But what you guys are not understanding is this. THis is not like the ps2. where they're promising "a full entertainment system". and are giving you a video game player with a hint of DVD.

see the xbox at least thru in that hardrive where you could save your mp3's. there's entertainment.

but now they're saying that their Console will be able show cutting edge Blu-Ray DVD's on highest of highs def 1080p/HDMI(even the upgraded version of this) etc, etc, etc. Its truly going to be an entertainment machine. Games, Blu-ray hi def movies, music, online(chat, video chat, etc, etc). SO their like, Why hold back on the Blu Ray and all the extras?

just to make it cheap. TO make something that will cost you 600beans. tells me they did their homework, and they realized that FULL GROWN MEN and WOMEN are still playing games. why? because we are the generation who grew up with video games. So to us its like playing chess or Dominoes. or Monopoly. In addition, these same people have kids and wives/husbands. therefore how can you incorporate all these people? Make it an entertainment hub. so the wife cant complain, when she gets to see the Dramatic scene on your 52inch HD TV, your kid wont complaint because he/she will be able to play on that same TV with a game that looks like a half of step from reality. so forth and so on.

xbox 360 nor the ps3 are no longer just game consoles. the Wii is. thats why its cheap. it does one thing and one thing only. play games. when you turn it off. the cable box better come on or else its nothing going to be seen nor heard. you take out that new NBA live 07 from your fully loaded xbox or ps3, you can throw in Titanic, or throw in a HI Def Audio CD/5.1 surround sound Audio DVD.

and as for Blu-ray failing. if Blu-ray fails. That doesn't mean it will fail for game makers. it means movie studios wont use the format for movies. Game creators can still use the incredible amount of space that is on the Blu-ray disc. which can turn a game like final fantasy 100(whatever number they're up to now). run off of one disc with all the extras you could dream of then some.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

^^ I'm not certain where you get your facts from, but you're completely way off base about the Wii. The Wii was made specifically to include everyone in the family, not just those who play games. Here are some comments from Nintendo about what they are trying to achieve:

Quote:
Nintendo believes that by checking if the number of family members who play games increases, they can test if they've succeeded in increasing the game playing population.

This brought the press conference to the Wii, with which Nintendo hopes to achieve its target of increasing family participation in games. Iwata mentioned four goals for the system:

1. The system will not be ignored by anyone in the family
2. The system will not care about age, gender or gaming experience
3. The system will have a relation of some form to every member of the household
4. The system will be powered on every day.

To reach these goals, Iwata first mentioned that the Touch Generations lineup will come to the Wii. This lineup has had particular success on the DS, with multiple million sellers this year alone.

These are their goals.

Quote:
Following discussions of Virtual Console vendors and pricing (see this story, Iwata shared more Wii concepts.

1. Changing the relationship between the family and the game machine
2. Changing the relationship between the television and the game machine
3. Changing the relationship between the television and the internet.

This set of concepts was a transition into a discussion of Wii Channel, which was so named because Nintendo believes the Wii acts as a machine that expands the channels on your television. Iwata took attendees on a tour of the individual channels, details about which can be seen in this story.

As a reason for having all the non-gaming channels, Iwata said, "Our goal is for people who have no interest in games to use this opportunity to take the Wii remote in their hand, and doing so, have a connection to gaming life."

Continuing, Iwata turned his talk to the Wii Message Board, which is immediately accessible from the main channel surfing screen. In addition to providing a place for people to post messages for other family members -- Iwata likened this to a refrigerator -- the board will let you send messages to your PC or mobile e-mail address. You might even receive messages from Nintendo, including new characters or maps. Messages are filed on a calendar, which can also be used as a planner.

Article here

Here are some quotes by third party developers who have actually had hands on experience talking about how the Wii is trying to appeal to everyone and not only gamers:

Quote:
"The Wii control scheme opens up unexplored areas for our talented teams to innovate when creating games. It's invigorating for us. We believe that it will help create a new level of interest in video games and engage more players around the world." - Laurent DeToc, President of Ubisoft North America

"Nintendo's strategy is expanding the market. We are thrilled." - David Pierce, President and CEO, Atari, Inc.

"Nintendo's vision perfectly aligns with our strategy to broaden our portfolio by allowing us to create new genres that have strong global appeal." - Shinichi Suzuki, President, Atlus U.S.A., Inc.

"Video games are becoming more of a mainstream phenomenon than ever before with virtually all members of the family playing different games in the living room. Nintendo's strategy of ease of play and mass marketing pricing is perfectly aligned with Disney." - Graham Hopper, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Buena Vista Games

"With escalating costs for both developing games and for consumers buying new game systems, we applaud Nintendo's drive to spread gaming to the masses - and we fully support that approach." - Brian Farrell, President and CEO, THQ.

Article Here

So once more, the Wii is not trying to just appeal to those grown ups who grew up playing games. They want to expand and include people who have not played games. Wii Sports is an excellent example of this. The main function in that game is to introduce the Wii Remote to the player as they can swing a bat, a tennis racket, or other sports equipment without worrying about gameplay as it is all automatic. The game should appeal to those who have never played games. There is also a picture viewer for people if they want to.

Also, the Wii has a USB port. Not exciting perhaps, but it might become possible to attach a hard drive to it and thus be able to add new features to it. The advantage of Nintendo not packaging a hard drive with the system is that people will be able to find specials and pay as much as what Sony and Microsoft are charging for their current systems. For example, the hard drive in the $600 version is only 40 gigs more than the one in the $500 version. Considering how cheap hard drives are these days (I got a 400 gig hard drive for $89 the other day), that's seriously overcharging for a 60 gig hard drive.

Of course, the bottom line for me is not the technology. That's great and all, but what I clearly enjoy are the games. The Wii is having about 19 games during launch or within the launch window. That's amazing. I'm really looking forward to Legend of Zelda and Trauma Center. I'm pretty sure the XBox and the PS3 will be great in their own right, but the Wii doesn't fall behind either in terms of innovation.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:

If they make a game for all 3 systems you wouldn't mind paying equal price for the inferior Wii version? I'd only get a Wii for the 1st party games. PS 3 is definitely on my Christmas List.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject:

i think of the three systems available (360, wii, ps3) i can tell you i will probably purchase the wii.

ps3 will be the best system. i'm unimpressed with 360. wii offers something different for a reasonable price. once they bundle ps3 it will be 700-800 dollars for the less powerful system. that's insane. i can't afford that and i bet most people can't either.

the wii has a unique style and remote configurations. i rather pay $250 for that than $800 for the ps3.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
If they make a game for all 3 systems you wouldn't mind paying equal price for the inferior Wii version? I'd only get a Wii for the 1st party games. PS 3 is definitely on my Christmas List.

Inferior in what way? If I'm really interested in a game that's out for all 3 systems, then I would weigh the options of each one. Keep in mind that there could be a $10 difference in price between the Wii version and 360/PS3 versions. How will the game play with the controls of the Wii? Will I want to play online and will Xbox Live be the best way to do so? And so on. I don't choose which version of a game to buy based on graphics. And even if I did, I have a 360 already. I'm not spending $600 on a machine that may or may not display fancier graphics. If Sony doesn't distinguish itself in some other way (exclusive titles, online service, richer gameplay beyond graphics, etc.) then I won't bother with a PS3 until it is significantly cheaper.

And yes, there will be two versions of the PS3 just like there are two versions of the Xbox 360 with a $100 difference in price. Much like the 360, the demand will be for the more expensive system. The $600 version will have:
80GB hard drive (vs. 20GB for $500 one)
SD/compact flash card reader
Wireless internet access
HDMI output

One of the few smart things Sony has done with the PS3 is announce that there will be a 4-to-1 ratio of 80GB to 20GB PS3s released.
Zaius
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

The new Madden on Wii is actually going to allow the player to point at the receiever, actually hike the ball using the motion on the controller and control the speed of your pass by the speed that one moves the controller through the air. If you pass slowly, it will be a lob pass, if you pass quickly it will be a bullet pass. The Wii will revolutionize gaming. The NES gave the world the first "pad" controller and now Nintendo is revolutionizing the gaming world again with the first true motion controller.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

The thing is that it's not equal price. Wii games will cost $50. 360 games cost $60. PS3 games should cost the same as the 360 games, but if the game is on a blue-ray disc, then it should cost $70+. The PS3 game prices are estimations. Plus, gameplay is completely different. 360 and PS3 will play almost the same. The Wii will be different.

For example, Madden 07. For 360, the player executes passes and rushes by pressing buttons. In the Wii version, the player makes a throwing gesture with the Wii remote and shakes it during rushing to gain extra yardage. Completely different gameplay. So even if the game is multiplatformed, it'll be unique to the Wii because of the difference in game mechanics.

Here is a detailed interview with one of the producers of Madden 07 and how it differs from the other systems:

Interview here
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

The thing is that it's not equal price. Wii games will cost $50. 360 games cost $60. PS3 games should cost the same as the 360 games, but if the game is on a blue-ray disc, then it should cost $70+. The PS3 game prices are estimations. Plus, gameplay is completely different. 360 and PS3 will play almost the same. The Wii will be different.

For example, Madden 07. For 360, the player executes passes and rushes by pressing buttons. In the Wii version, the player makes a throwing gesture with the Wii remote and shakes it during rushing to gain extra yardage. Completely different gameplay. So even if the game is multiplatformed, it'll be unique to the Wii because of the difference in game mechanics.

Here is a detailed interview with one of the producers of Madden 07 and how it differs from the other systems:

Interview here

$50 for FIRST PARTY GAMES.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

The Wii is drastically underpowered compared to a 360 or PS 3. The Wii doesn't support HDTV's either. A game made for all 3 systems is going to look and play inferior on a Wii compared to 360 or PS 3. The only advantage is has is with the controller. But I'm not gonna spend money on a game that is dumbed down jus so it can run on a Wii. Like I said a Wii is good for someone that luvs Nintendo's first party games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc...)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
The Wii is drastically underpowered compared to a 360 or PS 3. The Wii doesn't support HDTV's either. A game made for all 3 systems is going to look and play inferior on a Wii compared to 360 or PS 3. The only advantage is has is with the controller. But I'm not gonna spend money on a game that is dumbed down jus so it can run on a Wii. Like I said a Wii is good for someone that luvs Nintendo's first party games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc...)

...or someone that doesn't want to get anally raped by paying $700-800 for a gaming system.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Interview here

$50 for FIRST PARTY GAMES.

Right, $50 for first party games. How many 3rd party games have you seen priced higher than first party games on ANY console? You really think companies are going to sell ALL their games for $60 on the Wii?
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

Good for you if you're going to buy either a 360 or a PS3. I'm not trying to convince you to do otherwise. It's your money you're spending. However, if you're going to continue to be clueless by saying that ony a person who loves Nintendo's first party games should get the Wii, you are completely wrong. There are many reasons why to get the Wii for the 3rd party games. As for the controller, it's not dumbed down. It's actually more complicated cause you don't have to just press a series of buttons to execute the moves. You actually have to move the sensor around in different ways. Dumbed down? Hardly. If you think pressing buttons is a science, then you shouldn't try the Wii Remote cause it's actually more complicated than you think.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

The thing that holds me is that I am a Final Fantasy fan, and as far as I can tell, the series will continue with Sony Playstation. I hate the idea of buying a console for just one game, especially at that price. I'll just have to learn to live without it.

I'd better stock up on PS1 and PS2 games before they become hard to find.

Final Fantasy VI was already released on xbox 360 a few months ago, not sure if VII is also going to the 360. Although rumours are that another version of FF will come out for both ps3 and 360. Actually quite a few titles that were solely on PS are slated for dual release on the 360... Resident Evil, GTA, etc.

Last year I passed on picking up the 360 having been loyal to the PS family. But, with recent developments in regards to the PS3, I have given up on aquiring one. I recently bit the bullet and got myself a 360 a couple weeks ago. To say the least, I'm pleased as punch!

I was really hesitant getting an Xbox due to their association with the evil empire but after researching and comparing the two (also saw the PS3 in semi-action at e3) I'm quite happy with the 360. Dual slated titles was the final straw for me as there was no game in particular that "forced" me to stay with PS.

MS may have brainchild and financially backed the 360.. but it's really the companies involved that co-develped the 360 that makes it a hit. Buying these new generation consoles is really like buying a new computer. The 360 is basically an IBM, ATI, Samsung, SiS, MS box. Decent component makers to say the least.

YMMV
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Good for you if you're going to buy either a 360 or a PS3. I'm not trying to convince you to do otherwise. It's your money you're spending. However, if you're going to continue to be clueless by saying that ony a person who loves Nintendo's first party games should get the Wii, you are completely wrong. There are many reasons why to get the Wii for the 3rd party games. As for the controller, it's not dumbed down. It's actually more complicated cause you don't have to just press a series of buttons to execute the moves. You actually have to move the sensor around in different ways. Dumbed down? Hardly. If you think pressing buttons is a science, then you shouldn't try the Wii Remote cause it's actually more complicated than you think.

Okay, so you have a point. but after reading that interview I came away with this. Why not go all the way with the controller in madden? Why do I have to press a different button to throw to someone else. then still make that motion. no reason to make it more complicated. if you want to simulate football. well just let me throw it to whoever I'm aiming at, end of discussion. no buttons at all. If I pull the ball back, my qb pulls it back. The only button you should be pressing is the same button to release the ball. which should be on your index finger. You hold it down after you hike, if you release the button your QB will drop the ball if you're not in a throwing motion. If you're pulling it back and someone smacks you its a fumble like real life. sure they could do this. but for some odd reason they choose to have you push other buttons to switch receivers. not cool. if I gotta push more then one button, then I fooling myself into thinking I'm really playing a virtual football game, but I'm not because its back to the good old buttons. Nice idea. but it needs to be tweeked

in addition. how do you run the ball?

an as someone else stated because the Wii isn't as powerful it can't possibly have the same content/graphics/AI as the xbox and the Ps3.

so basically the Wii's controller is going to be the selling point. you get to be interactive with all of your games(which is basically the eye toy,just used for all games). But your games wont look as good, nor will the actual game play be as good as 360 or p3. Now you wanna beef the wee's processing power/ram up/ video card. and keep the controller. Then we have a winner. you want we to play Blu-Ray or HD disc, then the price of the wii will go up like crazy as well.

like i said before. the only reason I aint trying to burn down sony's headquarters about this price. is because I understand that a Blu-Ray drive is worth a lot of doe by itself. and then you're going to add a harddrive, then a gaming system.

and to the other person that talked about the prices of harddrives. I've already complained about that. WHy are trying to rob us blind on the HD space is beyond me. sure they have their own O/S on the harddrives. so the games can recognize the drive as compatible space. But that doesn't explain giving anyone a 20gb drive. when every low budget computer is shipping with nothing less then 80gigs. more along the lines of 100+. and that complaint is for the 360, the regular ps2, and the ps3. thats where the ski masks are being put on. when talking about the price of the drives.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

Okay, so you have a point. but after reading that interview I came away with this. Why not go all the way with the controller in madden? Why do I have to press a different button to throw to someone else. then still make that motion. no reason to make it more complicated. if you want to simulate football. well just let me throw it to whoever I'm aiming at, end of discussion. no buttons at all. If I pull the ball back, my qb pulls it back. The only button you should be pressing is the same button to release the ball. which should be on your index finger. You hold it down after you hike, if you release the button your QB will drop the ball if you're not in a throwing motion. If you're pulling it back and someone smacks you its a fumble like real life. sure they could do this. but for some odd reason they choose to have you push other buttons to switch receivers. not cool. if I gotta push more then one button, then I fooling myself into thinking I'm really playing a virtual football game, but I'm not because its back to the good old buttons. Nice idea. but it needs to be tweeked

an as someone else stated because the Wii isn't as powerful it can't possibly have the same content/graphics/AI as the xbox and the Ps3.

so basically the Wii's controller is going to be the selling point. you get to be interactive with all of your games(which is basically the eye toy,just used for all games). But your games wont look as good, nor will the actual game play be as good as 360 or p3. Now you wanna beef the wee's processing power/ram up/ video card. and keep the controller. Then we have a winner. you want we to play Blu-Ray or HD disc, then the price of the wii will go up like crazy as well.

like i said before. the only reason I aint trying to burn down sony's headquarters about this price. is because I understand that a Blu-Ray drive is worth a lot of doe by itself. and then you're going to add a harddrive, then a gaming system.

and to the other person that talked about the prices of harddrives. I've already complained about that. WHy are trying to rob us blind on the HD space is beyond me. sure they have their own O/S on the harddrives. so the games can recognize the drive as compatible space. But that doesn't explain giving anyone a 20gb drive. when every low budget computer is shipping with nothing less then 80gigs. more along the lines of 100+. and that complaint is for the 360, the regular ps2, and the ps3. thats where the ski masks are being put on. when talking about the price of the drives.

All I can say is you should try it out first before you knock it. Just cause the specs are lower on the Wii does not automatically mean that the AI and such are going to be less than the 360 or PS3. I give you that the graphics will be better on the other consoles, but everything else you mentioned is speculation.

As for Madden, it's a game that is on every system. Why rework the entire game when there is already a version that EA has been working on for the past year? Plus, Madden is a stepping stone for their development team. There are probably a lot of ideas they are getting due to the innovation of the Wii that they just can't implement right now because the game has to go out for sale. So EA has the option of improving upon what they currently have and implement it all in the next game. However, I could be wrong and they could come out with the same old game. So we'll have to see where the franchise goes from here on out. That's the beauty of the Wii. It gives the developers a chance to explore new ways of doing things rather than the same old formula. Why do you think Madden for the Wii is so different? Even though it's just a throwing motion, that is definitely a lot different than the last 9+ Madden games that have come out for the other consoles.

And about the eye toy, that is completely different from the Wii. The eye toy uses a camera while the Wii uses wireless sensors that make it more 3D. Besides, if the eye toy and Wii controller is so lame, why did Sony go out of it's way to make a eye toy-like camera so that their PS3 controller can detect movement? Can you say Riiiiiiiiiiiiddddggggeeee Racer!?!? So Sony does recognize that the concept of the controller being able to detect movement is a valid one. So I don't understand why you are trying to bash it.

As for gameplay, there is a higher probability that the gameplay will be better on the Wii because of the controller. The only thing I have to backup this claim is by comparing the DS and the PSP. PSP has superior specs than the DS, but the DS has a "gimmick" touch screen panel. You would expect the PSP to be doing so much better than the DS, and yet the DS is owning the PSP around the world. So specs does not equal a better system. It's all about the games as has been shown by the DS.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Zhengi wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

All I can say is you should try it out first before you knock it. Just cause the specs are lower on the Wii does not automatically mean that the AI and such are going to be less than the 360 or PS3. I give you that the graphics will be better on the other consoles, but everything else you mentioned is speculation.

As for Madden, it's a game that is on every system. Why rework the entire game when there is already a version that EA has been working on for the past year? Plus, Madden is a stepping stone for their development team. There are probably a lot of ideas they are getting due to the innovation of the Wii that they just can't implement right now because the game has to go out for sale. So EA has the option of improving upon what they currently have and implement it all in the next game. However, I could be wrong and they could come out with the same old game. So we'll have to see where the franchise goes from here on out. That's the beauty of the Wii. It gives the developers a chance to explore new ways of doing things rather than the same old formula. Why do you think Madden for the Wii is so different? Even though it's just a throwing motion, that is definitely a lot different than the last 9+ Madden games that have come out for the other consoles.

And about the eye toy, that is completely different from the Wii. The eye toy uses a camera while the Wii uses wireless sensors that make it more 3D. Besides, if the eye toy and Wii controller is so lame, why did Sony go out of it's way to make a eye toy-like camera so that their PS3 controller can detect movement? Can you say Riiiiiiiiiiiiddddggggeeee Racer!?!? So Sony does recognize that the concept of the controller being able to detect movement is a valid one. So I don't understand why you are trying to bash it.

As for gameplay, there is a higher probability that the gameplay will be better on the Wii because of the controller. The only thing I have to backup this claim is by comparing the DS and the PSP. PSP has superior specs than the DS, but the DS has a "gimmick" touch screen panel. You would expect the PSP to be doing so much better than the DS, and yet the DS is owning the PSP around the world. So specs does not equal a better system. It's all about the games as has been shown by the DS.

hold down sparky. i never said the wii controller was weak. or even the gaming system. I loved the idea, and I think ps3 jacked them for the motion sensitive controller they're using. which in essence could be used in a similar fashion. even though its based on weights. i could pick up that ps3 controller pull back, then go forward and it show that same motion on screen. and the eye toy and wii stick is very similar just different in what you stated. better 3d movement. same basic concept. the camera sees you, now a beam sees you.

but you cant be serious. when it comes to AI and graphics there's no way the wii can keep up. AI is alot of mathmatical computations. to pull this off you need processing power. the wii does not have the same processing power as the Xbox 360, and the xbox 360 doesn't have the processing power of the ps3. thats been confirmed by game developers. they say its easier to create games for the 360 the it is for the ps3. but once you get the ps3 down. skies the limit. because the amazing things you can do with the AI. because of the ridiculous processing power.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:

^^ Actually, a camera is more limited than the wireless setup that the Wii has. Therefore, there really is no comparison.

As for the AI, do you really think it would be that much different on a multiplatform release? If anything, the extra processing power will be used exclusively to make the graphics look better on the other systems. Graphic mathematical computations > AI mathematical computations. So I don't really believe that the AI will be that much improved. One way to look at this is to compare a game that is on a current gen with one on the next gen. Something like NBA 2K6. I wish I had the game, but unfortunately, I don't and haven't tried it for either one. But my guess is that the AI really isn't much different in either game.

PS3 definitely has better hardware. No disputing that. However, can it sell enough to the mainstream audience to convince enough third party developers to support it? The biggest obstacle right now in front of Sony is the $600. Even though that's cheaper than the cost of a blue-ray DVD player, that format hasn't established itself as the norm for DVDs and it can be a tough sale to convince the average person who isn't a gamer to shell out that type of money for the PS3. That to me is holding me back from purchasing this console and it is perhaps doing the same with other people. The big question is, will the PS3 garner enough support to utilize the hardware to the point that you are referring. That's a big question mark.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: