LAKERS -at- SUNS - 4/26 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corona
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

NY_LakerFan wrote:
LOL ... has ESPN taken down that ridiculous 8 question crap from their "experts"? The one where most of them said the Lakers could not possibly change their style of play and Kobe couldn't possibly get everyone involved again.

One of the best things about a Laker victory is the huge serving of crow the ESPN "experts" have to eat.

A little ketchup on the side BSPN?

do you have a link to that 8 questions thing?
corona
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:

nevermind....

Quote:
1. Do you believe Kobe was trying to prove a point (proving he could stick to the "game plan") or trying to win the game?

Chris Broussard: I believe Kobe was trying to win the game. I believe Phil Jackson has been preaching the necessity of getting everyone involved to Kobe, just like he did to Mike, and Kobe did that and did not force anything when it wasn't there. Jackson no doubt pointed out to Kobe that he had scorched the Suns individually all season and it got them nothing but three losses (in games when Nash played).

John Hollinger: He was trying to win the game, as clearly shown by his willingness to shoot it in the final two minutes. He just got a little too passive in trying to run the game plan.

Will Perdue: Both, but what I don't like is how he answered the question about the game plan. It sounds like he disagrees with Phil's plan.

Ric Bucher: Both. The game plan was sound, and they had their best chance to beat the Suns all season. Kobe didn't get the job done at the end, but it wasn't because the game plan didn't work or he didn't try. He simply didn't make shots he normally makes.

Tim Legler: Kobe Bryant was trying to win the game by incorporating his teammates into the offense more than he had during the regular season against the Phoenix Suns, when the Lakers had little success. At this stage of his career, Kobe is beyond trying to "prove a point" and is more concerned with advancing the Lakers deeper into the playoffs.

B.J. Armstrong: He was following the game plan absolutely. If they are able to win the series, it's going to take a contribution from the entire team. There's no other way to accomplish this.

Marc Stein: I believe Kobe bought into the idea that involving folks like Kwame Brown and Luke Walton in Game 1 would help give his untested teammates confidence to play aggressively throughout the series. He's been going 1-on-5 against Phoenix all season and knows as well as anyone that it hasn't worked.

Jim O'Brien: He was trying to do both. Sticking to a game plan is the way you generally win games.

Chris Sheridan: He was trying to follow the game plan, but maybe he was adhering to the plan a little too strictly. With so much emphasis on getting the ball inside, he was not his usual creative self with the ball. A little more freedom would be a good thing in Game 2.

2. Do you agree with the Lakers' game plan to get everyone else involved and reduce Kobe's scoring role?

Broussard: I believe that ultimately the "get everyone involved" philosophy will make the Lakers and anyone else a better team, but this was too much balance. Also, it's an odd time to switch styles. You've been riding Kobe all year, it's hard to change up on the fly. Do that next season in training camp.

Hollinger: No. They didn't play this way all season -- now one game is going to change the team overnight? Fat chance.

Legler: The Lakers will not beat the Phoenix Suns unless they get more balanced scoring than they did in the regular season against the Suns. Lamar Odom and Smush Parker have to be in the midteens or low 20s in scoring to complement what they get from Kobe in terms of scoring.

Perdue: Yes, the team needs to keep it close and then Kobe can win it for you in the latter part of the fourth quarter.

Bucher: The game plan is not to get everyone else involved, it's to get the ball to Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom as close to the rim as possible. The Suns don't have overwhelming size. Forcing them to defend big bodies on the block makes them expend energy. Forcing them to defend bodies underneath the defensive rim also means very short caroms and seven or eight feet more for Shawn Marion and Boris Diaw to run to get on the break. That means fewer transition opportunities, which is the Suns' forte. The Lakers are essentially building their defense from their offense. The strategy is to keep the game close by not letting the Suns run and then having Kobe close them out. The keys: Kwame and Lamar must score in the post against one-on-one coverage, and Kobe must come through at the end.

Armstrong: I agree. In a playoff series, role players have to play their role, and great players have to be great. Kobe's job in a series is to finish the game. Without this understanding, a team would be forced to rely very heavily on blame, excuses and other self-weakening ego mechanisms.

O'Brien: If that was the game plan, Phil Jackson probably realized that in the long run it will pay dividends. The long run being not only this series and only this year but into the future. One player does not win a series. Playoff basketball is about adjusting and tweaking things from game to game. Miami is looking more and more impressive because their role players are stepping up and getting it done with Shaq and Wade. LeBron James seems to understand this fact already. Sacramento almost won last night because they realized their team is not the Ron Artest Show.

Sheridan: Disagree. I like what Kwame Brown did over the final six weeks of the season, but I don't believe he's a confident enough player to have such a major role given to him in his first full playoff series (remember, last year he bailed on the Wiz).

Stein: For one game, yes. The sense I got is that Phil Jackson made a one-game commitment to get everyone else involved, win or lose, in hopes of increasing L.A.'s chances of extending the series and getting Kobe more consistent help than he's been getting against the Suns. But I think it would be a big mistake if, in Game 2, Kobe has another 16-possession stretch without taking a shot, as we saw once in Game 1. The Lakers have no chance to win that way, either.

3. Should a team (a) sometimes change its approach and philosophy during the playoffs or (b) stick with its regular-season approach and philosophy?

O'Brien: They should stick with their regular-season plan. There really is no other choice. I do not see what happened in Game 1 as a change in their approach. Give Jackson the benefit of the doubt.

Bucher: It all depends on what gives you an advantage. Almost every team changes its approach to Phoenix in the postseason because it doesn't have time to prepare an exclusive game plan for the Suns during the regular season. Quick example: Standard transition D is to get back to your paint and then step out to defend the perimeter. Against Phoenix, you have to run to the 3-point arc and find a man right away or it's bombs away. Offensively, being Kobe-centric during the regular season gave the Lakers the best chance to win against the most opponents, but not against the Suns. My guess is Phil Jackson knew this post-up style could work against Phoenix in the regular season, but why give them a sneak peek of what you plan to do when it really matters?

Broussard: You must stick with your approach. Games are too important and the margin for error too slim to go to a different style of play. The uncertainty and hesitation that comes with playing a completely different way can cause enough of a drop-off to cost you the game and series.

Legler: A team has to play the style of basketball that allowed them the greatest success in the regular season. They have to be concerned with doing the things that they do well and trying to take away some aspect of what their opponent wants to do offensively. Too many adjustments can be counterproductive.

Hollinger: They definitely should change the approach based on matchups because it's the same opponent for seven straight games. But it's more about subtle shifts than drastic alterations.

Perdue: You try not to make too many changes in the playoffs. Players can get out of their comfort zone. Most changes are made on defense.

Armstrong: There's only one philosophy: success. If you have to change this approach from regular season to postseason, let that be your cue that what you're doing is not successful in the first place. Change is not an option if you do it right the very first time. Continuous change leads ultimately to disintegration of your most valuable assets: The People.

Sheridan: Depends on the playoff opponent, and in this case I believe Phil Jackson feels the Lakers' best chance to win the series is to use their size advantage. He never did that in Chicago, but then again, he never went up against a team playing a 6-7 center.

Stein: I won't consider this a philosophy change unless Kobe plays the same way again. The Lakers were a 45-win team largely because of Kobe's offensive brilliance.

4. Do you believe that Kobe will break out for a 50-point game at some point in the series?

Broussard: I expect the Lakers to go back to their typical style pronto. Kobe will go for at least 40 in Game 2. If he doesn't get 50 in a game this series, it won't be because he didn't put up enough shots like in Game 1.

Hollinger: I still think it will happen, just because he averaged nearly a point a minute during the season and he's likely to play 47 or 48 minutes a night against Phoenix.

Legler: I think Kobe will have at least one 50-point game in the series because the Lakers are an inferior team and Kobe will get increasingly frustrated and desperate as the series progresses. As that happens, he will continue to force the issue and take matters into his own hands. Combined with the fact that he is the best offensive player in the NBA and the Suns are a poor defensive team, it all adds up to Bryant putting up huge numbers at some point.

Perdue: Yes, he will have to for the Lakers to win.

Bucher: Yes. Because either Kwame and Lamar are going to punish the Suns enough that they'll have to pay more attention to them (and thereby less to Kobe) or going to Kwame and Lamar will not produce wins and they'll simply see if Kobe can go crazy and get one.

O'Brien: No, because it's playoff basketball and opponents are not going to let that happen easily. He will score in the mid-30s a couple times, however.

Armstrong: Absolutely. If success is the goal, then Kobe has to do what is necessary to accomplish that.

Stein: Yes. Kobe is more capable than anyone in this league when it comes to quickly finding another gear or three, and there's a good chance that the struggles of his limited supporting cast will force him to fire away.

Sheridan: What, just one 50-point game? I'll say he's got two of 'em in him, and tonight's the first.

5. Do you agree with Phil Jackson that Kwame Brown should be "the featured guy" and the key to the series?

Legler: I completely disagree with Phil Jackson regarding the importance of Kwame Brown in this series. In fact, if the Lakers are counting on Brown to be the difference maker, they will be sorely disappointed. He has been one of the most inconsistent players on the Lakers roster. The difference maker actually is Lamar Odom, a player capable of being dominant in several areas and providing the type of support Kobe Bryant needs.

Hollinger: No, the play of Kobe Bryant is the key because all the Lakers' plays run through him. What happens with Kwame is secondary at best.

Broussard: Kwame Brown is a key because teams that have success against Phoenix are teams that exploit the Suns' lack of size inside and crash the offensive boards. If Brown can do those two things, the Lakers have a much better chance.

Perdue: Not just Kwame, but also Odom down on the block. Lakers need to take advantage of their height.

Bucher: It's OK to start there, but when you're the seventh seed trying to knock off the second seed, everything and everybody is key. Kwame has to be a beast in the paint; Odom has to finish, not turn the ball over and rebound; Luke Walton, Sasha Vujacic and Smush Parker have to knock down open 3s; and Kobe has to be clutch in the final minutes.

Armstrong: Yes. For the first time in Kwame's NBA career, he's being held responsible and accountable for his performance. And Phil Jackson from experience knows a thing or two about performance under pressure.

Stein: No. If it's all riding on Kwame … that's as big an "if" as you'll ever see. I'd say L.A.'s only chance to really make this a series is finding a consistent mix of inside success again the Suns' small and thin front line inside and Kobe doing regular damage when he freelances.

O'Brien: Balance is a very big key. See answer 2 above.

Sheridan: I know the Lakers are trying to break Brown out of the season-long shell he's slowly been coming out of, and I think some of Phil's talk regarding Brown is ego-boosting material. He needs Kwame to play with some confidence.

6. How would you explain the Suns' offensive problems in the second and third quarters (36 points, no 3-pointers) -- those things happen, or great D by L.A.?

Broussard: Those things happen. The Suns have had droughts like that throughout the season. If it was something the Lakers were doing, Phoenix would not have been able to put 32 on them in the fourth. The Lakers did not suddenly morph into the Spurs. Believe that.
Hollinger: These things happen -- Suns had 71 in first and last quarters.

Legler: The Suns' troubles offensively in the second and third quarters of Game 1 were a result of a dedicated commitment on the part of the Lakers to match up in transition to the Suns' 3-point shooters and a disciplined offensive approach that was geared to dictating tempo.

Perdue: Playoff games consist of runs, but give the Lakers credit for their defense. It also looked like the Suns missed open shots.

Bucher: The Lakers imposed their tempo by being patient on offense and working the ball inside and defensively getting back and stopping the break. They also sent Phoenix to the line rather than allow easy baskets, which also slows the game and deadens the crowd. Consider: In those two quarters, the Lakers had more layups than the Suns did. The Suns are eminently beatable in a strict half-court game.

Armstrong: How do you play great defense versus an offensive team? You play great offense yourself. The Lakers executed brilliantly on the offensive end throughout the entire game. The best defense is a great offense.

Stein: Bad spacing, a lack of playoff experience on the floor and nerves. Some of the younger Suns looked increasingly tight when they couldn't shake the Lakers.

Sheridan: After such a strong first quarter, I think the natural urge to relax a bit took hold of them. I'd expect Mike D'Antoni to address it tonight so we don't see a repeat.

7. Besides Steve Nash, who is the key player for Phoenix in this series?

O'Brien: Shawn Marion is an enormous key. He is a defensive game changer as well as being a superb offensive player. He might play Bryant all the time, but when it's crunch time and they need a stop, he will be the guy to call on.

Hollinger: Raja Bell, because he has to guard Kobe.

Broussard: Shawn Marion. I don't expect Tim Thomas to get close to 15 rebounds in the rest of the games, so Marion will have to be the Suns' board snatcher. Without him grabbing rebounds to at least keep the Suns respectable in that department, Phoenix is in trouble. The only reason they overcame his subpar seven boards in Game 1 is because Thomas had the game of his life on the backboards.

Legler: Shawn Marion is the most important player besides Steve Nash in this series because his defensive rebounding for the worst rebounding team in the NBA allows the Suns to initiate their transition game. The Lakers are determined to hurt the Suns inside and on the offensive boards. Marion offsets that.

Perdue: Raja Bell. Because he usually is the one who plays D in the post against taller players.

Bucher: Boris Diaw. He has to stop either Kwame or Lamar in the post, and he has to light Kwame up from the perimeter whenever he gets the chance. Kwame, like most bigs, isn't comfortable defending on the perimeter, and Diaw operated well from there during the regular season.

Armstrong: Raja Bell. He's the first line of defense trying to contain the greatness of Kobe Bryant.

Stein: Shawn Marion. The Matrix has a tough matchup, offensively and defensively, against the long limbs of Lamar Odom, but Marion is the only other Sun with significant playoff experience. Besides Nash, no one is more capable than Marion of taking pressure off the other Suns.

Sheridan: Shawn Marion, because he's the guy keeping Lamar Odom from being the focal point of the low-post offense and he also might get called upon to slow down Kobe whenever (if?) Mr. Bryant starts to get things going.

8. What is your current forecast for the series?

Legler: I predicted the Suns would win the series in six games, and I'm sticking with it. It takes a special defensive team to beat a team as explosive as the Suns. The Lakers are an average defensive team. That will not get it done. Anyone doubting the outcome of this series does not give the Suns enough credit for being the most difficult team to prepare for in the NBA.

Broussard: Phoenix in six, maybe five. Suns with Nash are now 8-0 against L.A. (not counting the game he sat out).

Bucher: I'm going to say the Suns in seven. At the end of the day, they have too much firepower and I'm not convinced Kwame and Smush can deliver the kind of consistent performances necessary to get the Lakers over the hump. But I say that with great trepidation because Kobe has proved all year long that he, by himself, can defy logic when it comes to what the Lakers have and are.

Armstrong: Lakers in six. Because in the end, courage and the heart shall prevail over reason and logic.

Hollinger: I said Suns in seven, and that's what I'm sticking with. Kobe will make it interesting, but Phoenix has too much firepower.

Stein: I picked the Suns in five before the playoffs began, and I don't change picks after I make them.

O'Brien: Phoenix will win the series. The Lakers do not have enough weapons to win four games, and if Brown is the key, he has not shown the ability to help carry a team in the playoffs.

Perdue: Suns in six. Lakers just don't have enough firepower to beat the Suns.

Sheridan: Sticking with Suns in six, because Kobe still has two 50-point games in him before he stops wearing No. 8 (he's switching to No. 24 next season).
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject:

Great recap DB as usual.

I said it before and I will say it again, if LO could keep the Matrix between 15-20 ppg, we have a serious chance. Game 1: 19 pts. Game 2: 13 pts. Avg - 16, while LO is eating him alive while scoring 21 on 75% shooting. The offense should go through LO. He is making Marion work and we need that.

BTW, our baby Lakers are out of their diapers, now on to some pull ups!
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

like phil said, legler has no credibilty to take his analysists seriously.
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject:

Great recap DB.

Hey, anyone else hear Charles Barkley actually saying something good about Kobe and the Lakers?

I couldn't believe it.

Our guys did a great job and proved what I thought - that they are just as good as this Suns team and now the Suns really know it! Kobe has really stepped up into his leadership role. You could see him encouraging guys, he defended Sasha like crazy when the double T on Nash/Sasha happened, and he played within the game plan. He was is the MVP in my book.

I can't wait 'till Friday.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject:

Sasha was awesome last night. We need that from him.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:

We gotta be in their heads a little bit. Publicly they won't show it. They were up by 14 at home only to eke out a 5 point win due to some questionable home calls. Now they found themselves down by 17 and got back into the game only to lose at home while being held 15 pts under their record-breaking average ppg.

Last edited by Texas_Pete on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the updates DB! glad to see that they kept the same game plan but that kobe was moved into a position where he could dominate more.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject:

I've read many great recaps by you DB, but this one was the best so far. The only one that will be better is when the Lakers win the series and move on to the second round. And then.....

No, I am getting ahead of myself.

It was tough for me watching the game in bed and trying not to make any noise and not wake anyone up. I bit my tongue, but inside I was jumping on the bed and going crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hybridsw20
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject:

that was a great game to watch. im sure the rest of the series will be like this.
Sleepy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject:

I think it's crucial for L.A. to come out storming in game 3....take away any momentum or confidence Phoenix might have. If they can do that, it could shut down the Suns for game 4 also.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:

Also, don't know if it showed on the tv, but Phil called lamar over towards the end of the game, after the play with 4 seconds left on the shot clock when Kwame was going to shoot free throws...he was talking to him kind of strongly, maybe it was at this point he told odom to take over the game, i don't know...but after he was done he gave him a couple of pats on the butt as encouragement. I don't think I've ever seen phil do that to a player...

They definitely made a point about Phil giving Lamar a rare type of pep talk. I don't recall at what point, maybe I will go back and check.

Okay, I went back and checked the KCAL broadcast. What I was remembering came with 3:10 left in the third. Ireland reported that as they walked to the bench for the timeout, Phil got hold of Lamar and told him twice "Take over... Take over."

Phil was definitely trying to get Lamar to impose his will on the game at that point. Very interesting to hear him try to get into Lamar's head like that.
It'll be interesting to watch the game, I haven't seen it on tv yet. No, I think this was later in the 4th quarter. The suns knocked the ball out of bounds with 4 seconds on the shot clock...someone (Lamar?) inbounded the ball to Kwame in the paint. Kwame got fouled and was shooting free throws. Phil got up and called lamar over to the bench(lamar is usually lined up to rebound when we're shooting free throws) and was talking to him very animatedly for about 30 seconds. Just kind of gave him a talking to. It may have been something that happened during the play before the ball got knocked out with 4 sec. on the shot clock, I'll have to go back and watch, but Lamar was just nodding his head ok, and then when he turned to go back to half court, Phil patted him on the butt like three times like 'go get 'em'. It was just really strange to see Phil be that demonstrative with a player. I had never seen that from him before.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks again DB for the excellent recap. The word that many of us have said is key: tempo. We played at our tempo. Also, we hit as many three's as they did. If that keeps happening, we'll be in a very good position to win the series. I have to give Sasha props. He hit three out of four from downtown. I would like to see more of a contribution from DG. We were able to overcome our foul trouble and win a playoff game on the road. That's great for our confidence. These guys have really been playing well over the last twenty games. I tell my wife all the time that you can see the guys gaining confidence with every game and we're reaching our potential. Many prognisticators didn't give us much of a chance, with the exception of a few. I think we pose the Suns problems and we have an excellent chance to advance.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

I knew it wouldn't take long for Kobe to get back to the KB he has been most of his career in the Triangle.

The guard role may not be longterm - but it's clearly the right one for this series.

Phil definitely had some words with Lamar after that pass he threw to Kwame (with 4 secs left on the shotclock). I think the play was designed to get Kobe the ball off those screens. But it does seem Phil and LO have bonded. I think Phil really appreciates Lamar.

Us fans ussually want to focus on the O - the reason the Lakers won this game was defense. They were just spectacular on rotations and staying infront of their man. The defensive execution to draw offensive fouls on Nash was excellent. They switched consistently, and I thought most of the team played very good defense. What realy helped was the fact that everytime Nash would penetrate, the Lakers instead of trying to block his shot would be trying to cut of his passing lanes.

Hence, Nash goes for 60% of the Suns first 30-35 points, and they have no real rhthym as a team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject:

Exactly wolf. Great D last night.

Honestly, if hte Lakers keep with the same effort, I don't see how they can lose. The Suns ARE playing their game right now, the difference is that the Lakers are saying "OK you want to run on O, we'll run right alongside of you on D."

The Suns are playing their game. The Lakers just aren't giving up on plays like most teams do and controlling tempo on the other end.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

Honestly, if hte Lakers keep with the same effort, I don't see how they can lose. The Suns ARE playing their game right now, the difference is that the Lakers are saying "OK you want to run on O, we'll run right alongside of you on D."

The Suns are playing their game. The Lakers just aren't giving up on plays like most teams do and controlling tempo on the other end.

It's pretty simple.

Don't take too many longrange shots that would lead to long rebounds and easier transition game for the Suns. That is the first thing that the Lakers are doing.

Second, they are actually running back now with a purpose - something they never did in the regular season games.

Finally, the FG% was excellent. If you score consistently, then the opposing team has to inbound the ball while you are already set in your halfcourt defense.

Overall though - still too many TO's for my liking. The offense can still get significantly better IMO. Some of the passes that these guys throw are pathetic. Kwame also rarely sees the cutters when he has the ball in the post. He rushes too much. The offense must run through Bryant, Odom and Walton - because they have the best court vision on the team. Oh and Smush needs to stop with the streetball.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

It's pretty simple.

Don't take too many longrange shots that would lead to long rebounds and easier transition game for the Suns. That is the first thing that the Lakers are doing.

Second, they are actually running back now with a purpose - something they never did in the regular season games.

Finally, the FG% was excellent. If you score consistently, then the opposing team has to inbound the ball while you are already set in your halfcourt defense.

Overall though - still too many TO's for my liking. The offense can still get significantly better IMO.

Agree with it all.

I'm just trying to see where PHX can make adjustments and I'm not seeing it. Marion HAS to outrun LO to get his points, because Marion is a garbage man and can't go get his own points. LO is simply OWNING Marion right now.

Switching gears here, but I want to take a moment to give a guy some credit, that I've been VERY down on all year:

Smush Parker was significant last night. I saw him racing out and using that great leaping ability and length to bother shooters. THAT'S what I've been wanting to see ALL year long. Great stuff Smush. That's the way to play. Defense is needed more than O.

Also, I want to congratulate Kobe. Tenguygrst and I had a talk a few weeks ago. I had given up on Kobe. I was worried if he'd EVER "get it". If he'd ever realize that as "the man" he had to have a TEAM to win. And that it's going to take a conscious effort from HIM to make sure those other guys get going. Tenguy said he still believed that Kobe would "get it". I was seriously worried. Sure, it was a knee-jerk reaction, but I was worried, if only for a couple hours.

However, he's doing it. He's "getting it". Not since Michael Jordan in the early 90's, has one guy "getting it" meant so much for the rest of the league. Once Michael reached that point where it all came together for him and he began playing the team game, it was simply over for the rest of the league.

Kobe, once again, following the footsteps of MJ. The league has been put on notice. It's only a matter of time before Kobe gets this team over that hump and wins the title. I mean that. He's simply the best in the game and is getting it. Give him a true starting PG and either a TRUE PF or a swatting combo 3/4 in the mold of Josh Smith, and this team WILL win the title.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

They played excellent help defense, especially Kwame. Seemed like everytime they tried to drive, he was there plugging up the lane. Also, the Lakers were very vocal when getting back on defense, reminding each other to pick guys up coming down the court and what to watch for. Kobe especially was very focused on this.

Regarding the long range shots. It was kind of funny after jimmy hit his first shot then came back down and jacked up that brick that resulted in a phx layup, phil immediately calls timeout and goes up to him and lets him have it. I think he was reminding him that he doesn't play for phx anymore. That's not the way we want to play.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject:

Great defensive effort. This effort wins the series.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject:

koolruningz wrote:
Thanks DB, i still cant get the grin off my face after this one.
Im so proud of our guys they have had to deal with alot of doubters this year but one by one they are silencing them. Kobe especially was impressive with his restraint, i expected him to break the offence when the Suns were pulling close but he trusted his teammates and i think that gives them all a real boost. I can only remember Kobe forcing one shot and he seemed pretty angry at himself.
I'd like to see Kwame attack the boards more, especially on the offensive end. There is no reason he cant bully those tiny centers around and grab some O.R.'s.
I've been critical of Sasha on occasion this season but he grew some playoff stones tonight, i love how he got under Nash's skin to. Does anyone know what Kobe said to Nash in their confrontation? I dont think Nash likes Kobe much, he seemed to have alot of respect for him in the All Star Game but some of the comments he has made recently concerning #8 sound a bit spitefull. Kobe showed him whats what though with that huge throwdown, i havent seen Kobe sky like that for too long.
Great game and the best thing is that they are showing game 3 here on Saturday afternoon, so i'll finaly get to see the Lakers back in the playoffs instead of just listening.
You mean this one?

I wish I could remember Worthy's pre-game talk about Phil's game plan, and how close it came to winning game 1, and how the Lakers should stick to it, and they would win game 2. Ireland was saying the opposite, that Kobe needed to look to sore a lot, as well as that AZ reporter who broke the Nash MVP leak, James said, "that's 'cause you never played the game" with his arms folded and a smug look on his face.
DzLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

It's pretty simple.

Overall though - still too many TO's for my liking. The offense can still get significantly better IMO. Some of the passes that these guys throw are pathetic. Kwame also rarely sees the cutters when he has the ball in the post. He rushes too much. The offense must run through Bryant, Odom and Walton - because they have the best court vision on the team. Oh and Smush needs to stop with the streetball.

I would add to this. On O, continue to feature Odom, Odom and more Odom. It's taking Marion out of the game b/c of the energy he's expending on D.

Eventually I expect them to take Marion off of Lamar or give him help.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Odom -- -- Lamar is imposing his will on the game on both ends. When he's knocking down 3-5 from beyond the arc and then getting to the rim and scoring over players in the paint, he's Trouble with a capital T. He scored 21 points on a superb 9-12 shooting, grabbed 7 boards, dished 5 assists and had 2 steals in 44 minutes. Great effort on both ends and even came up with the hustle play of the night on that dive and pass to Kobe for the dunk. Nice post entry to Kwame under the rim and it led to a dunk. He got a post kickout from Kwame at the FT line, attacked and scored a layup. He posted up the next time down and drew an illegal D call (I think that is there a lot for us if we can start pointing it out to the refs). He hit a pull-up jumper from the elbow. He threw a kickout pass out of bounds. He spun in the lane on Marion and flipped in a layup. He curled off the weakside and scored an easy layup out of the Tri. He posted up and kicked it to Sasha for a three. He drained a wing three. Great rejection off the backboard at the end of the second quarter. He scored 11 points at the half. He saw a little daylight, attacked off the dribble and powered in a layup. He called his own number, but missed on the post up. He swished a three off a kickout from Smush. Sasha attacked and kicked out to Lamar and LO knocked down the three. He attacked to his right off the dribble and scored a layup. He dove to the floor to chase down a loose ball, found Kobe who then threw down a monser dunk over Nash. "If it's a loose ball," Odom said in the Daily News, "I'm going to go get it." He nearly overpassed to Smush, but Smush just beat the shotclock by a hair for a huge layup with under a minute left.

As a frequent critic of Lamar I have to give credit where credit is due.

Lamar has played great basketball over the past two months and, more importantly, has carried that success over into the playoffs where he is delivering impact performances. His hustle to track down that loose ball in the 4th quarter led to the play of the game by Kobe.

The Lakers would be wise to keep him in the post for the remainder of the series as I believe his activity in the paint is taking a toll on Shawn Marion's offense.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

I agree about limiting the number of perimeter shots which could lead to some easy transition points. We got to keep pounding the ball down low because they have no inside presence whatsoever. They won't be able to get in to their running game if they're constantly taking the ball in from under their basket.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Memo to Shawn Marion: "The game plan does, in fact, work."

The Lakers are playing under so much control and with so much intelligence in this series, they look like a group of seasoned veterans with loads of playoff experience. Their intensity and patience have been revelations. Credit that to Phil and his staff.

Kobe to Nash: "I got your MVP trophy right here, dude." That slam was simply awesome. With Kobe back to shooting his norm + Tim Thomas shooting his norm = win. It shows you how close the Lakers were to being up 2-0 in this series.

Lamar has been very solid, very steady. He has, IMO, taken himself out of any trade scenario and become an untouchable. If Shawn Marion is an all-star, then LO should be one soon. I may even have to change the NKPOG to NKLOPOG.

Because of that, the NKLOPOG is Sasha. Aside from hitting some timely 3's, I think his little scuffle with Nash set the tone for this game. He made it physical, Kobe got his back, and the team took off from there. Nash tried to make the game into a personal duel and completely threw off any rhythm for his teammates.

To make the day even better, I scored tickets for Sunday's game!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: