LAKERS -at- SUNS -- 4/23 -- Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
Nice job DB. Kobe needs change his approach to getting his teammates involved-- drive and Kick. When he drives the lane and attracts 2 or 3 defenders is when he should get unselfosh and kick the bal outside. passing up wide open shots to let luke or smush take the three accomplishes nothing.

I agree. Just posted that in my reply to SGH. It was a passive Kobe game. He can still set up others and be aggressive. You've got to attack the paint against donut teams... especially those that depend on the break and don't have shotblockers.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Good game plan by Phil in going to the low post game. It is the only way we are going to beat the Suns (that and playing good D). Agree with SGH that too many easy open shots were missed by Cook, Sasha and Kwame (missed some early chipies). Continue with this plan and make shots and we will win game 2.
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:

there were a couuple times early on when they were forcing it into kwame and he was missing. i felt like they shoulda gone to kobe instead.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:

Kobe going 3 for 10 in the 4th, including 4 straight misses during a portion of the game where LA went from being up 1 to down 6...it was key.

Nice post Sean. Normally those shots Kobe took are ones he makes...but he had been sooo passive for the first three quarters, he wasn't in a grove. We were working the interior and suddenly hope to flip the switch and go to Kobe's exterior game. Tough to do when he has been involved in that manner up until that point.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I thought we started pretty well... We were playing as a team, and moving the ball around.

The first problems I began to see, were related to a lack of focus, on those little "chippies" around the basket, or mid-range shots. We also seemed to take a little too many long range shots.

We should have started out, the way we did, in the last game against Phoenix. Kobe was very aggressive, in that prior game. Remember how Kobe attacked the basket, in a very aggressive manner? Kobe didn't set that aggressive tone, at the outset, like in the former game.

As I feared, the new pressure, caused by Nash's presence, took us out of our game. Lamar kind of looked sluggish, and slow to make decisions. Lamar is still one of our heroes, because of the load he takes on. I don't even remember Lamar getting much rest. Everyone had a case of the "jitters".

The positive side of this game is that we showed we can make comebacks, and stay right with Phoenix. We can beat this team, if we can just control our impulses to panic, and leave the gameplan. We also need to get that focus and composure back. I'm hoping the younger guys will get acclimated to the pressure, before the end of the next game. This Phoenix Team is like a freight train, doing 200 mph. We have to derail them, soon.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

Kobe going 3 for 10 in the 4th, including 4 straight misses during a portion of the game where LA went from being up 1 to down 6...it was key.

Nice post Sean. Normally those shots Kobe took are ones he makes...but he had been sooo passive for the first three quarters, he wasn't in a grove. We were working the interior and suddenly hope to flip the switch and go to Kobe's exterior game. Tough to do when he has been involved in that manner up until that point.

Yeah, Kobe had a little too much rust on him getting into the 4th quarter. Just looking at the stat line, what this game really boiled down to was free throws and 3-point shooting. 5-21 from long range and missed 6 free throws. Hit one more three and half those missed free throws and the ballgame falls a different way. The Lakers had a fairly mediocre shooting night while Phoenix pretty much played exactly their game and it was still close. I like our chances on Wednesday.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:

It's easy to blame the offense and what not on Kobe. However one can't ignore that Smush had a ton of open looks to really tie the game or make it a one possession one down thes stretch. Kobe's shot was off - but all his shots were contested ones. Smush's weren't. There is no excuse for the 3 point shooting, Smush had.

But they also gave up 32 points in the 4th. Kobe played pretty subpar for his standards. That's fine. I expect him to have 4 spectacular games out of 7. The thing that the Lakers must do is just be consistent with their application on both sides of the court.

No reason to rush or panic. I thought they were solid for thier first playoff game ever as a unit/team - and by game 5 this team will be much better IMO.

If I'm Phx - I better hope that we win that game 2. If the Lakers can win this next game - I think they have a decent chance at winning this series (And I predicted a 6 game series win for Phx)

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
critical_beatdown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:

We need to stop making excuses for Kobe. He's got cold like that in the 4th quarter this year in games where he was the focus of the offense all game long. He just wasn't making shots he normally makes tonight. Even Barkley was giving Kobe kudos in the post-game because he was taking a good shots and they weren't falling. Barkley (paraphrase): "I never cared how many shots I took as long as they were good ones. Kobe took good shots tonight, and the Lakers had their best chance of beating the Suns with a full squad all season."

And it's not like Kobe was missing them badly either, many were just rimming out. He wasn't really "cold", just "off". Lamar, Smush, Luke, and Kwame also missed shots that rimmed out they normally make.

We don't need to make excuses for Kobe. He has control throughout the game as concerns his shot level. He was off tonight, and knowing Kobe he'll be hard on himself about it (a lot harder than most of you), and he'll come back with a vengeance.

Thank God Kobe doesn't go to bed blaming the offense, or his lack of shots early in the game, or the refs for his disappointing performance. If he thought like that, he wouldn't be 20% of the player he is. Instead, Kobe knows he alone is accountable, and he'll be burning from now until Wednesday to show what his game is really about.

I'm looking forward to it, and a W.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
Sister Golden Hair wrote:
Disagree about Kobe. Anytime the team scores 102 points I don't see how his relative lack of offense was all that important. The difference to me was that the entire team missed easy (exceedingly makeable) wide open shots (Smush, Sashsa, and Cook, especially). You can't ask Kobe to set guys up, have those guys miss badly, then get on him for not taking over. Nash did what Kobe did except that the Suns hit those shots. Again, the other guys have to step up (Cook, especially, needs to realize that he doesn't have to launch a three everytime he gets the ball -- it's frustrating to watch him play as if he were on the Phoenix roster).

Sasha didn't even take any shots after the three pointer that gave them a 1 point lead. Cook took one. Parker is the only one that took a few (not before LA went down 6). The Lakers slid during a 3:40 stretch after the Sasha three...I put in bold what they did offensively from the time Vujacic hit the shot...to them facing a 6 point deficit 3:40 later.

Quote:

Vujacic Jump Shot: Made (3 PTS)
Assist: Odom (2 AST) 10:01
[LAL 80-79]
George Foul: Personal (2 PF) 9:44
9:44 House Substitution replaced by Nash
9:44 Jones Substitution replaced by Thomas
9:29
[PHX 82-80] Thomas Jump Shot: Made (18 PTS)
Assist: Diaw (3 AST)
9:10 Bell Foul: Personal (5 PF)
Parker Substitution replaced by Brown 9:10
9:10 Bell Substitution replaced by Barbosa
Brown Foul: Offensive (3 PF) 9:00
Brown Turnover: Foul (1 TO) 9:00
8:48 Diaw Layup Shot: Missed
8:46 Diaw Tip Shot: Missed
8:46 Diaw Rebound (Off:2 Def:3)
Team Rebound 8:45
(8:45) Timeout: Official
Bryant Jump Shot: Missed 8:35
Team Rebound 8:35
8:35 Thomas Foul: Loose Ball (4 PF)
Bryant Turnaround Jump: Missed 8:25
8:22 Thomas Rebound (Off: Def:10)
Vujacic Foul: Shooting (2 PF) 8:10
8:10
[PHX 83-80] Nash Free Throw 1 of 2 (14 PTS)
Vujacic Substitution replaced by Parker 8:10
[PHX 84-80] Nash Free Throw 2 of 2 (15 PTS)
7:59 Marion Foul: Shooting (4 PF)
Odom Free Throw 1 of 2 (18 PTS) 7:59
[LAL 81-84]
Odom Free Throw 2 of 2 (19 PTS) 7:59
[LAL 82-84]

7:39 Nash Jump Shot: Missed
Bryant Rebound (Off:1 Def:4) 7:37
Bryant Jump Shot: Missed 7:20
Brown Layup Shot: Missed 7:19
Brown Rebound (Off:2 Def:3) 7:19
7:17 Thomas Rebound (Off: Def:11)
George Foul: Personal (3 PF) 7:02
7:02
[PHX 85-82] Barbosa Free Throw 1 of 2 (7 PTS)
George Substitution replaced by Walton 7:02
Brown Substitution replaced by Cook 7:02
[PHX 86-82] Barbosa Free Throw 2 of 2 (8 PTS)
Bryant Jump Shot: Missed 6:47
6:45 Thomas Rebound (Off: Def:12)
6:40 Marion Layup Shot: Missed
Walton Rebound (Off:2 Def:3) 6:39
Cook Jump Shot: Missed 6:24
6:21 Barbosa Rebound (Off: Def:1)
Bryant Foul: Personal (3 PF) 6:21
6:21
[PHX 87-82] Barbosa Free Throw 1 of 2 (9 PTS)
[PHX 88-82] Barbosa Free Throw 2 of 2 (10 PTS)

Kobe missed 4 shots. Cook missed 1. Kwame missed a put back after a Bryant miss. LO hit 2 FT's.

After getting down early, the first time the Lakers got to within 6 was at the 9:57 mark of the 3rd quarter. It took them over 6 more minutes to get as close as 5.

LA battled them for over 5 more minutes to get that 1 point advantage....so, for them to slide back down by 6 was huge. That stretch was crucial. That stretch gave Phoenix control.

More key than those wide open misses from messrs Cook, Parker and Vicacic earlier?
How do you figure?

SGH
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

When he was pulling up, it almost looked like a player that hadn't warmed up...and was just getting out there on the practice floor. It's unreasonable to expect him to turn it on like that when he hadn't been able to establish any sort of rhythm throughout the game. I can understand him taking that first shot to see how it felt...but rather than continue trying to find that first make from outside, I think he should have attacked the basket...drawn some contact (or find teammates)....got to the line....start from there and work his way out.

On another level, I don't think it should have come to that anyway at that point...they should have milked what was working for a few more minutes before turning to Kobe. With 10 minutes left to play, that's way too much time for them to alott to Kobe...especially in light of the fact that they had just found a nice little system that was getting results....no need to abandon it quite yet.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:

One thing that I really didnt like is our lack of weakside help on defense. Their were a couple of times Phoenix just strolled in with a layup, nevermind, make that alot of times. I thought Odom could of been more agressive on the defensive end. He looked a bit lackadasial in the first half. He did come up with a nice block on tim thomas in the 4th though. We need more of that.

Also closing out on their shooters. Were giving up way too much space. I dont anticipate the suns missing so many of those looks as the series goes by. We need to close out more especially on guys like Bell, Barbosa, House, and Nash. Kobe is a big culprit on not closing out on his defender alot of times.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
Disagree about Kobe. Anytime the team scores 102 points I don't see how his relative lack of offense was all that important. The difference to me was that the entire team missed easy (exceedingly makeable) wide open shots (Smush, Sashsa, and Cook, especially). You can't ask Kobe to set guys up, have those guys miss badly, then get on him for not taking over. Nash did what Kobe did except that the Suns hit those shots. Again, the other guys have to step up (Cook, especially, needs to realize that he doesn't have to launch a three everytime he gets the ball -- it's frustrating to watch him play as if he were on the Phoenix roster).

Sasha didn't even take any shots after the three pointer that gave them a 1 point lead. Cook took one. Parker is the only one that took a few (not before LA went down 6). The Lakers slid during a 3:40 stretch after the Sasha three...I put in bold what they did offensively from the time Vujacic hit the shot...to them facing a 6 point deficit 3:40 later.

Quote:

[LAL 80-79]
[LAL 81-84]
[LAL 82-84]

Kobe missed 4 shots. Cook missed 1. Kwame missed a put back after a Bryant miss. LO hit 2 FT's.

After getting down early, the first time the Lakers got to within 6 was at the 9:57 mark of the 3rd quarter. It took them over 6 more minutes to get as close as 5.

LA battled them for over 5 more minutes to get that 1 point advantage....so, for them to slide back down by 6 was huge. That stretch was crucial. That stretch gave Phoenix control.

More key than those wide open misses from messrs Cook, Parker and Vicacic earlier?
How do you figure?

SGH

Whether they were more key or not isn't the point. The point is, they also mattered in terms of the outcome of this game. If you're going to zero in on a few misses by Sasha/Cook/Parker....then doing the same in regards to Kobe is only fair.

Sasha/Cook/Parker = 8/23 35%
Kobe = 7/21 33%

There is a lot of room for improvement in both those sets of numbers.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

great job db!

here's my take.

phoenix played as good as they possibly could and barely snuck away with a win.

we need to give them more reasons to doubt themselves.

also, in the series, don't expect tim thomas to carry the team with 15 rebounds consistently.

game two will be critical. it will be the game of adjustments.

first. the lakers will continue to attack.
second, whether it's devean, luke or lamar/kwame, tim thomas will be boxed out better.

I thought the lakers did a fair job in reacting to steve nash. they'll only get better.

also, no easy dunks.

third, expect also the lakers NOT to let PHX get 32 shots at the FT stripe. the suns are the worst team in getting to the line; chalk this issue up to learning curve issues for the young lakers.

fourth is the key low post matchup, I expect shawn marion (6'7") to have increased difficulty with LO (long 6'9"+). in the first quarter, LO had trouble with shawn's athleticism; having his shot challenged or altered. however, once LO "changed up the speed of his game, fast/slow/fast," marion could not make the adjustment. similar to getting an aggressive pass rushing (football) defense to jump offsides; well LO kept marion off balanced in the 3rd & 4th quarters. similarly, as the game wore on, LO began to sense the chinks in marion, i.e. with his windshield wiper moves in the paint, marion was frequently leaning the wrong way. coupled with being off balanced, LO used his size and the arm length to score on marion.

if the suns start doubling on LO, then it frees up the midrange J for kobe.

also, expect phil to redefine kwame's role, with regards to rebounding.

minor tweaks are needed. this game was winnable. the lakers should be upset that they let this one get away, and at the same time, be encouraged.

at the start of the season, they would have lost this game by 25 points.

IMO the lakers have more upside; the suns played as well as they could.

this series is still VERY young.

game two will be critical; but not as critical as game seven

I expected the lakers to win two games in round one (predicted some time back). however, I have a feeling that they might do better.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:

anyone noticed how well Kobe resisted taking quick 3 pointers? For example we were down like 6 with a minute or so left...in a regular season game, Kobe would of definitley attempted a 3 pointer in that situation. But instead he took his time and went to the hoop.

I really hope the loss today dont discourage him to go with a different gameplan the next game. Kobe played one of his smarter games today. He didnt get caught up with any one on one matchups. When Bell or Barbosa hit a 3 on the other end, he slowly and patiently worked the offense.

If we keep this up, theirs no doubt in my mind, we can take this series to 6 or 7 games.

I thought Phoenix were suprised at our gameplan today. It caught them off guard.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:

sean2023 wrote:
sean2023 wrote:

Quote:

[LAL 80-79]
[LAL 81-84]
[LAL 82-84]

How do you figure?

SGH

Whether they were more key or not isn't the point. The point is, they also mattered in terms of the outcome of this game. If you're going to zero in on a few misses by Sasha/Cook/Parker....then doing the same in regards to Kobe is only fair.

Sasha/Cook/Parker = 8/23 35%
Kobe = 7/21 33%

There is a lot of room for improvement in both those sets of numbers.

Wide open threes -- with no one within ten feet of you. You have to hit those, especially when the game plan is designed for you to have those open shots. If they hit a few of those, it loosens up the floor for Kobe. Yes, he missed some shots he usually makes -- that happens. But the other guys came in knowing they had to hit their freebies and they came up short. Beyond that, my original post indicated that that was only one thing that led to the loss. There were other things, on defense in particular, which were as significant if not more so.

SGH

SGH
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
One thing that I really didnt like is our lack of weakside help on defense. Their were a couple of times Phoenix just strolled in with a layup, nevermind, make that alot of times. I thought Odom could of been more agressive on the defensive end. He looked a bit lackadasial in the first half. He did come up with a nice block on tim thomas in the 4th though. We need more of that.

Also closing out on their shooters. Were giving up way too much space. I dont anticipate the suns missing so many of those looks as the series goes by. We need to close out more especially on guys like Bell, Barbosa, House, and Nash. Kobe is a big culprit on not closing out on his defender alot of times.

Thank You, for that input, KobeButler..... I was coming back here, to add something about the defense. Yes, it looked like Lamar was too slow in rotating...

On another matter, however, I was suggesting that Smush might do better, by sagging off his man, and anticipating passes, jumping into lanes, and stealing the ball... Smush, however, surprised me, at least once... Smush was actually bodying-up someone[forget who it was]. Kwame accepted a charge, but the call went against him, because, well... Let's just say that Kwame will never be one of those slick, streetwise guys...

I'd like to see us putting on a half-court press, on Nash, throughout the game, and just upsetting his game. If we keep Nash out of the paint, the others have to penetrate, or keep shooting low percentage shots.
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Jeremy - Good points. I think there is a lot to be proud of regarding how the Lakers played Game 1.

I do disagree w/ the suggestion that Phoenix played as well as they can. Tim Thomas certainly played as well as he can play...but some of their players can be even more dangerous.

Nash himself was held to 42% shooting...this is a guy that shoots over 50% on the season. So while he may not get to the line 8 times in Game 2, he might go 9/18 instead of 5/12.

Diaw shoots it at 53% for the season...he shot 38% today.

Marion averages 22/12...LA held him to 19/7.

Bell gets 15 on the season...nearly 3 threes a game...today he had 8 points...and shot 1/7.

James Jones gets 9 a game...today he had 4.

House averages 10 a game, today he had 4 too.

Aside from Tim Thomas, no Sun really played above his head...many played below their season averages - So, there is still room for some of these guys to hit LA w/ things they didn't get hit w/ in Game 1 to offset the expected decrease in free throw attempts.

That said, the Suns escaped Game 1 w/ out dealing w/ the sort of firepower they'd usually have to defend against in a typical Kobe Bryant performance.

These teams haven't seen all eachothers faces quite yet. It'll take another couple games. Hopefully by then, LA has a win or two to show for it.

SGH - I agree w/ practically all of your initial post. I'm just saying Kobe deserves some criticism along w/ some of the other guys also for how he played this game. He's a great player though, and I expect him to play better on Wednesday.
703Soulja
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I see people talking about tim thomas needing to be boxed out, yet he got alot of boards just by them coming to him and him being the tallest player for the suns. I mean he had 0 off. boards, all of his boards were defensive, hes supposed to get those...
LABigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:

The two things that bothered me the most about the Lakers execution was that 1, Smush wasn't playing smart by trying to reverse jam two shots, he's gotta play more under control. I know he comes from the NYC playgrounds, but this is the NBA Playoffs.

The 2nd is that when Lamar had it going in the 4th when they were tied and took the lead, all of a sudden the team and Kobe tried to force his action on the court. They went away from what was working so well, whether it was Lamar taking it to the rim, or passing out of the double team, he was killing on offense, and the Lakers abandoned that.

No doubt the refs we're horrendous, and we missed too many layups and free throws, but the Lakers had their chances. I look forward to Phil's adjustments for game 2.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Here's the quotes from the Times that I normally try to add to the game report:

Quote:
Laker Coach Phil Jackson, befuddled, told him during a fourth-quarter timeout to be more aggressive.

Sun Coach Mike D'Antoni, politically correct, said Bryant looked "a little more passive than usual."

"At one point I told him it was time for him to get aggressive," said Jackson, who chose to do so during a timeout with 8:45 to play. "He picked up his game a little bit and started going to the hoop. I thought he was out of rhythm, didn't feel comfortable with his shot, started taking the ball to the basket.

"It was a good enough game. His game was keeping us in the offense. Doing the things he had to do was good enough to keep us there. It wasn't good enough to put us over the top."

"I had to take a lot of bail-out shots tonight," Kobe said. "I wasn't looking to attack or to assert myself really. I think we had a lot of things we can take advantage of and tonight we did that. It kept us in the ballgame. We had them right where we wanted them. Just a couple bounces didn't go our way."

Quote:

The Lakers professed to be lighthearted as well, snickering at clips of "Inside Man" that Jackson kept splicing into game film leading up to Sunday.

Classic.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

jeremysnow wrote:
third, expect also the lakers NOT to let PHX get 32 shots at the FT stripe. the suns are the worst team in getting to the line; chalk this issue up to learning curve issues for the young lakers.

Yeah, that was a bit surprising. Obviously that will be a point of focus. The Lakers have responded in the past when told not to foul...seems like a tough thing to turn around, but they've done it and done it well at times when the coaches requested that this season.

Here's a Phil quote:
"The Phoenix Suns set a record for fewest free throws in the league," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said. "And here they have 35 free throws. This is a team we told our guys not to foul, and we end up sending them to the line 35 times. That was one of the things we didn't expect to happen."
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, Kobe was the missing piece of the puzzle today, who could've predicted that! otherwise the board was set for a laker win.

at the end of the day, though, a loss is a loss, the lakers got to turn their effort into a win in game 2
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

DB - Thanks for the usual insightful analysis:

Jitters:
There is an opinion that the best game to "steal" is the first game of the series. Although this didn't happened with the Lakers, Smush/Sasha/Brown/LO got their "playoff jitters" out of their system and ready to play serious "D."

Free Throws:
What do you think was behind the reasons why the Suns went to the line 35 times?!?!?! Does anybody know how many fouls were committed in the 2nd & 3rd quarter, as oppose to the 1st and 4th - so that we can see how effectively they were playing at certain times of the game?

Suns' "Zoning Up"
Suns were making an effort to zone-up and/or place a secondary defender right in Kobe's line of vision, hence making it hard for him to attack the paint by limiting the creases within the defense. Kobe did the smart thing by attracking the "double" and passing out to the open man. What are other options to attack the above-listed defense for Kobe?

Suns' Foul Situation
Bell (5), Marion (4), Thomas (5) and Diaw (4) demonstrates that the Lakers utilized the right game plan in pounding the paint to get them into foul trouble. If Kwame had made those "chippies" - the Lakers would have had about 10+ points and confidence to continue attacking them in the paint to foul them out of the game.

Possessions
Outside of the 1st quarter, the Lakers strongly influenced the tempo of the game. If anybody knows how many possessions were in the game, I'm sure that it was not 100+ and probably around 90. What can the Lakers do to get the possessions in the 80s?

Suns' High "Pick & Roll/Pop"
Lakers need to be tighter on these situations and contest every shot to make them think. Could the Lakers have tired during the stretch that provided that extra split second to shoot and/or drive the paint? If so, what can PJ do to address this?

Missed Shots
How many games or PT will it take for Kwame to SLOW DOWN while taking those "chippie" shots and why doesn't he POUND THE BALL (i.e. DUNK) in these situation? If Cookie is not making his shots, he is totally and absolutely useless until he develops his game.
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

Great writeup as usual DB.

I am usually an EXTREME optimist ... always see the silver lining. Hell ... I'm the guy who was willing to bet at the all-star break that we'd win 19 games afterward. That being said ...

Kobe's whole demeanor in this game really has me worried. If you had told me we'd get strong games out of Lamar, Kwame, Smush, and Walton ... I would have assumed a Laker victory. However ... while the TEAM was playing great ... Kobe seemed to be an outsider. And it wasn't just his play. It was his body language. He wasn't aggressive in ANY way ... not scoring and not involving his teammates except through inactivity. He was passive ... not a word I'd thought I would EVER use in a sentence describing Kobe. I've had players look that way playing for me and it usually meant they just weren't buying into my gameplan.

I hope I am wrong. Kobe SAID all the right things about sticking to Phil's gameplan but he didn't LOOK to me like he was buying into it. Game two will tell us a lot. If he comes out passive again, I don't like our chances regardless of how well everyone else plays. I have no problem with Kobe only scoring 22 IF he plays lockdown defense AND has 10 assists.

Phil's gameplan worked ALMOST to perfection. An aggressive Kobe working within would make it PERFECT.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject:

NY, yes it was a concern. However, Phil wanted this game to go JUST as it did. Kobe, OF COURSE, wasn't buying into the gameplan. He knew in the end that the gameplan would make the game tougher for this ONE game. But Kobe followed through and will reap the rewards with a GAME 2 victory. The fact that we almost stole this game IN SPITE of Kobe's passivity, is a BIG plus.

The gameplan just softened the Suns defense even more. They don't know if doubling Kobe will be enough, so they'll be more conscientious of "the other guys", opening up the game for Kobe moreso.

As an added bonus, it lets the other guys KNOW "Hey, we can play with the Suns if we play a deliberate game and stick to the plan. We can get any shot we want, we just have to stay aggressive and deliberate as well."
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: