Former Member Of Doggy's Angels Settles $100k Lawsuit Against Doggystyle/TVT Records

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Former Member Of Doggy's Angels Settles $100k Lawsuit Against Doggystyle/TVT Records

A former member of Snoop Dogg's female rap group Doggy's Angels has settled a $100 thousand dollar breach of contract lawsuit against the rapper, claiming unpaid royalties.

Chan Gains, along with Kola Marion and Kim Proby signed an exclusive agreement with Snoop's label Doggystyle Records in 2000. The imprint was distributed by New York- based label TVT Records.

The group hit it big with the single "Baby If You're Ready," but just before Doggy's Angels' debut, Columbia Pictures filed a copyright infringement suit against TVT and Doggystyle, claiming the group was appropriating the studio's Charlie's Angels trademark.

The lawsuit forced the group to rename themselves Tha Angels and interrupted the marketing and promotion of their debut album, Snoop Dogg Presents: Doggy's Angels — Pleezbaleevit.

The group was also forced to pull all artwork originally used to promote the album, due to similarities between the Charlie's Angels artwork and the materials used to market Doggy's Angels.

"It was going to be Snoop Dogg's girl group, but all the girls kind of had their hopes of success in the music industry pretty much dashed at that point," Gaines' attorney Lowe told CourtTV.com. "You get your one shot in the music business ... There are a lot of sad stories."

Gaines said she was homeless for a period of time. "There were times I slept in my car. I would just pray to God I would make it to the next day and I'm still here because I know he has a bigger plan for me," Gaines said. "I wouldn't trade my experience because it allowed me to see the heartless actions of people I was involved with."

The group broke up in 2002, and in 2005 Gaines sued TVT and Snoop's Doggystyle imprint for unpaid royalties. The lawsuit was recently settled but due to a confidentiality agreement, Gaines cannot reveal the settlement amount.

http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5568
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: