SUNS -at- LAKERS -- 4/16 -- Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: SUNS -at- LAKERS -- 4/16 -- Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Playoffs Clinched... The game plan was carried out with consistency. Attack on offense instead of settling for jumpers. Avoid the long rebounds and avoid the Suns transition attack. Get to the line and you slow down the game.

The Lakers finally caught the Suns after getting a day of rest for once. In the three previous losses, we came into the game after playing overtime the night before. The Suns sat Nash and Bell, limiting what we could do to fine-tune ourselves for the playoffs. Smart move, but Phil still took advantage of playing some specific lineups and keeping the Suns from playing their game. If you recall in the last game, it was while Nash was on the bench that the Suns got their separation. So, even though Nash and Bell weren't out there, there was still some substance in the 109-89 win.

Defensively, the key for the Lakers is matching up in transition. In the past games, we played soft and the Suns fired at will on us. You could see the Suns get out of their rhythm when we played tight and find their grove when we didn't. According to the NBA.com box score, the Lakers won the fastbreak battle 12-0. Nash will definitely remedy that next time we meet.

Kobe commented on the team clinching its playoff spot. "It doesn't really seem like we're overly jumping for joy, but it is a great accomplishment for us," he said. "We came from last season when we didn't make it. This season nobody expected us to make it and here we are."

Kobe -- -- Kobe dropped 43 points in 38 minutes. Numbers we've seen before. But what was more unusual about this game was his relentless attacking instead of settling for perimeter jumpers. The refs rewarded him with 23 FTAs, in which he made 20. He shot 11-28 overall (1-5 from three) and had 8 boards and 5 assists. The attacking and getting to the line negated transition opportunities. He got off to a fast start, scoring a quick 7 points in a minute and a half. He hesitated, lost his man and scored a layup. He used his quick reach in the passing lane, stole the ball and dunked. He pulled up in transition and hit a three. He dunked off a bounce pass in transition from Luke. He drew a foul on a long outlet, and made one FT. He crossed over his man badly and scored a layup, flipping it over his head. He posted up, beat the double team and scored a reverse. He missed a long J at the first quarter buzzer, finishing with 14 points in the quarter. After resting to start the second quarter, he missed a three. He attacked the lane, drew a whistle and made both FTs. His man went for a steal, he attacked several defenders in the lane and drew a foul, making both FTs. He drew another foul and made, one FT. He attacked again, drew the whistle, made both FTs. He busted out in transition and finger rolled in a layup. He took the ball at the wing spot, pivotedand swished a turnaround. He attacked, took contact and drew a foul, he made both FTs. Kobe had 27 points on 8-16 shooting, 4 rebounds and 4 assists in the first half. He attacked and kicked to Smush for a three. He stole an outlet pass, took it straight at Grant and scored an And-1. He cut weakside, took the feed and powered in a layup. He drew more FTs and sank them. He attacked the lane, was stripped, got it back and drew FTs, making both. He crashed the boards to grab a miss by LO and put it back in. He drew back-to-back fouls on Barbosa to foul him out with more than 9 minutes left in the game. He drew another foul and FTs, making both. He attacked again, got hammered and made both FTs. Relentless, focussed effort by Kobe from start to finish. Kobe commented on not having Nash or Bell there: "They execute the same way. It's just that when Steve and Raja Bell come back, they have more waves to throw at you and they do it for 48 minutes," he said.

Odom -- -- Lamar was 3 assists shy of his third triple-double. He finished with 14 points on 7-16 shooting, 11 boards and 7 assists in a team-high 40:39. The Suns version of Lamar in Diaw got his triple-double (Diaw has the best +/- on that team). Defensively, there were still a few moments where Lamar could have tightened up on the perimeter. Lamar did a good job feeding the post at times. He made a nice entry feed to Kwame who got low post position and scored easily. He took his man off the dribble and banked off the glass. He faced up in the post and hit a midrange jumper. The offense stalled, so Lamar took the ball into the post and scored a jumphook. He fed George under the hoop for a dunk. Nice help D block to save a layup. He got tapped on a drive. He didn't close out on Marion and gave up a three. He attacked the baseline and finished an And-1 reverse, missing the FT. He found Kwame in the lane with a high entry for an And-1. He took the high return feed from Luke as he cut down the lane and scored a layup. He posted up and scored with some contact. He attacked off the dribble on the next play and scored a layup.

Kwame -- 8) -- Kwame got tapped a couple times around the rim, otherwise he would have had a few more points. He finished with 10 points on 3-10 shooting, 4-6 from the line and 7 boards. The Lakers did a pretty good job of getting the ball, as Kwame was able to put up that many shots in only 26 minutes. He grabbed an offensive board, faced up, spun and hit an And-1 jumphook, he hit the FT. He ran to the low post, caught the pass, bumped his man and banked in a score. He drew a foul in the post against Grant and made both FTs. He got tapped on a couple of strong moves in the post. He had to throw up a quick jumper to beat the shotclock and he airballed. He ran to the front of the rim, got the pass and was hammered, he made one FT. He twisted an ankle stepping on someone's foot and immediately limped to the bench, but he came back later. He sealed Grant, took the entry pass and scored an And-1, missing the FT. Better job in the interior than the last one.

Smush -- -- Smush got a break today with Nash resting. He scored 12 points on 4-9 shooting and dished 3 assists. He did a great job on the boards, pulling down 8 rebounds in his 31 minutes. He missed a three on his first attempt. He attacked in transition, went straight to the rim and scored a finger roll. Soft D under a pick and he gave up a three to Barbosa. He airballed trying to beat the shotclock. He missed a reverse off a great baseline Tri feed. He attacked the baseline, took contact and scored an And-1, making the FT. He drew FTs with a strong cut in transition. Silly quick three attempt and it led to a break the other way, which the Suns couldn't score on. To start the second half, he hit a three off a Kobe kickout. He wanted the refs to call a charging foul and was yapping with them on the way back up the court, when he cut backdoor shortly later he took his anger out on the rim with a reverse throwdown.

Walton -- -- Very good all around game from Luke. He scored 8 points, pulled down 10 boards, dished 6 assists and had 3 steals in 27 minutes. For the first time since Luke has started, the Lakers got off to a good start...going on a 16-1 run to open the game. The difference between Luke and Cook was very noticeable in this game on both ends. Luke pulled up in transition and swished a FT jumper. He posted up and hit a turnaround. Sweet thread-the-needle bounce pass to Kobe who dunked. Somehow he got blocked by Marion on a layup. He hit a long two, with his foot on the three line. He found Kobe cutting weakside for a layup. He nearly had a loose ball foul that cost Staples fans tacos, but the Suns missed one FT. He scored on a reverse late in the game.

George -- -- Better minutes off the bench from George. He hit some timely shots in the fourth and finished with 7 point on 3-5 shooting in 16 minutes. He was a little foul prone on the perimeter and finished with 5 fouls, and Phil eventually sent him to the bench after one foul on a jumper. Devean dunked in the lane off a feed by Lamar. Nice hustle to track down an offensive board in the corner, then he had to call timeout as he was swarmed. Good strip on D to ignite a Kobe breakaway. He faced up and knocked down a 19-footer. He drained a three from the corner.

Cook -- -- He posted up more than you frequently see as we were looking to avoid the long shot attempts today. It doesn't play to his strengths, but it stayed with the game plan. He made both post attempts for his 4 points and he grabbed 4 boards in 15 minutes. He came up with a loose ball, took it up court on the dribble and hit Smush with a bounce pass for FTs. He posted up and hit a turnaround. He timed a weakside shot block well to save a layup off penetration. He posted up and hit a high arching baseline turnaround.

Sasha -- -- Sasha's shot was off early, before getting a few points in the fourth. He finished with 6 points on 2-5 shooting, 2 boards and 2 turnovers in 15 minutes. Nice strip on Barbosa to get a turnover. He missed a three and a mid range J. He missed another long jumper. He drained a three straight away. He attacked across the lane and swished a running, left-handed hook. He drew FTs and made one.

McKie -- -- Phil got McKie 12 minutes of run in this game as we went to some small lineups. He scored 2 points on his only attempt, had 2 boards and 2 assists. He got some extended run in the middle of the second quarter. Nice reach on his man, nearly coming up with a steal. Good rotation to clog the lane, something our guards are often late on. He pulled up on the baseline and sank a short jumper for his hoop.

Turiaf -- -- He got some run when Kwame came up limping. He grabbed a board, nothing else to report in his 3:44 of action.

Jackson -- -- He got some run with McKie in the middle of the second quarter. He got tapped on a long jumper. He drained a three from the side and missed a couple more attempts. He finished with 3 points on 1-5 shooting in 10 minutes of action.

Bynum -- -- In late, not much to report. He got a block quickly, using his length. He had a ball taken away from him on the blindside, but more blame for that can go to the passer.

Phil -- -- Unfortunately, Nash and Bell didn't play, allowing Phil to get another crack at them. However, Phil did manage to work in some different lineups and he got the team to buy into the game plan. The result, good offense led to easier defense. The Suns said they were also able to work on some things, as well...The Lakers jumped out to a quick 16-1 lead in the first three and a half minutes, forcing the Suns to call a timeout. They played up tempo, but they matched up well in transition D during that stretch. Phil tried to keep the team from throttling up the transition game and was vocal about it during a timeout... "When you get off to a lead like that they usually catch up," Phil said. "Today we kept them at bay. It's good to be back in the playoffs."... The Lakers more than doubled up the Suns 48-23 at a point in the second quarter... He had a Kobe, McKie, Jackson, George, Cook lineup (then swapped out Kwame) in the second. He ran with that McKie/Jackson combination for a long stretch... The Lakers softened up in the third and the Suns cut the lead in half. Phil will probably be able to use that stretch as another teaching point... The team only gave up 10 offensive boards and won the points in the paint battle 54-28... Phil has a decision to make in getting his playoff roster down to 13. Most likely, rookies Von Wafer and Green will be left off the eligible roster as evidenced by the lineup today... Phil said Mihm will now likely play in the final game...
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

thanks a lot. good job. and congrat to La.

is the playoff roster 13?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again, DB!

ABC flashed a rather ugly stat, in that the Suns bench have outscored the Laker counterparts by some huge margin. What they didn't explain was that the Lakers always faced the Suns on the second leg of a back to back. When you think about that statistic, you realize why the three previous defeats aren't that daunting. Granted the Laker bench isn't all that impressive, but in a playoff situation, they won't be on the floor all that much (no back to backs).
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Nothing more apropriatte than the Lakers rebirth on Easter.
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

That Sasha left-handed hook in the lane made me do a double take. Where did that come from? Not only did it look pretty going in, but he looked confident making that move. If he could develop a little bit of a floater game that might settle his outside shooting a bit and make him a more effective player for us.

AL.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Could Luke Walton develop into the type of veteran player we have been looking for? Frankly, it has taken me a long time to trust him, but he rebounds pretty well, he can thread the needle with a beautiful pass, and now he can make an outside shot. I'm thinking of him as the same type of player as BShaw. Can't do everything, but what he can do he does pretty well. If he performs this well in the playoffs I will take my hat off to him.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I have a question. Playoff teams can have 13 men on their rosters. Who should be our 13th man between McKie and Jackson?
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
I have a question. Playoff teams can have 13 men on their rosters. Who should be our 13th man between McKie and Jackson?
I doubt Devin Green and Von Wafer get playoff spots.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Love how we jumped out early, never let them back in.
Defense was seemingly air tight, however that could also be a result of an injury-depleted roster for the Suns.

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Wow! That was fast. Great job as always DB
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again, DB. It's nice to be back in the playoffs after a one year hiatus. I'm glad the fans were able to get some tacos.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Playoffs. Sweet.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Good job, DB. I suppose this wasn't the playoff preview everyone was expecting with Nash and Bell out. Smush had better be ready though.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Very nice job. Damn Easter dinner made me miss the game, and I forgot to record it.

DB, do you think Walton will start in the playoffs? Is this the set starting line up, or do you think Jackson will start according to who the Lakers face?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB I love reading your analysis, even though I watch the games, you just have this way of pointing out some things I missed. thanks.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
LaxT wrote:
I doubt Devin Green and Von Wafer get playoff spots.

I assumed those two are out.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
DB, do you think Walton will start in the playoffs? Is this the set starting line up, or do you think Jackson will start according to who the Lakers face?

This is the starting line up.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

There's always room for improvement... I still see a few major things we have to strive to improve on. At times, we lose the rhythm, tempo, and momentum[use your own terms]. I made a comment about Sasha, for example... I thought Sasha was kind of out of sync, with the rest of the team. Sasha didn't seem to "feel" when he was open, and should shoot... As if he heard me, or read my comment, Sasha began to sense that he was open, and he just turned, and executed a couple of nice baskets!!

I still feel that Kobe has to control himself, at times. Others also commented, that Kobe should probably have kept the ball moving[or, words to that effect]. I have to say, however, to balance things out, that Kobe DID take it to the hole more often, in this game. Kobe was aggressive, from the start, and set the tone. This is the playoff Kobe. At times there was still the exposing of the ball, and the turnover.

Walton also seemed to get carried away, a couple of times... I thought he tried to get too "cute", with some of his lob passes, instead of finishing, himself.

Kwame seems to regress, at times, to the Kwame that can't finish under the basket, but he came through, more often than not. I see one of Kwame's biggest weaknesses, as his seeming inability, to move with the ball, and create his own shot. Kwame is best, when he's cleaning up, or open, for a quick dish off, and he just has to elevate and dunk. I wonder if Kwame is really taking any advice, from Kareem...??

Overall, the key factor is that we have gone to another level. The team seems to know how to work together more. I saw another bit of evidence, that McKie could be a much needed factor, with his ability to scan the floor, and find the open man. The problem is that McKie hasn't been able to work with the team enough. I hope others see the possibility, of using McKie, at times, to help bring the team together, on the court.

We could be one of those "Cinderella Teams". I've been hearing alot of rumors, that teams are afraid of us, in the first round.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

So, just what exactly were the Suns supposed to be working on?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm not exactly sure that they worked on anything of substance. They got to throw Grant out there against Kwame and integrate him into things against us. Same with Burke. Nothing they tried to do against Kobe worked. They got outboarded, out fast-breaked, torn apart by Kobe, saw Barbosa foul out with 9 minutes left, and generally taken out of their game. Not a lot of substance for them in that regard.

The real benefit for them will be to take apart this game and see how Phil plans to attack them in the playoffs. We were much more focussed in our game plan. I suspect they may start packing things into the lane a bit more to try to make us stay a bit more honest from the perimeter...hoping we will miss more and ignite their break.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

phoenix's defensive paint strategy is simply collapse all their available players into kobe.

if we made many of the "chippies" by kwame, lamar and kobe, the game wouldn't have been close at the 3rd quarter.

I sincerely think that our best chances to beat the suns lie with the the inside/out/inside game, that ends in kwame, luke, lamar and kobe.

if JJ and DG can hit that mid-range consistently, then we'll be better for it.

besides, the undersized but solid shawn marion and kurt thomas, the suns have little to show in their front line. ditto for dallas (which is only a tad better in nowitzki, dampier & diop). who are the "big men backups: brian grant and tim thomas?

brian grant has limited lateral movement, which is why kwame was free at the block. and after a few tough games, grant's knees will hurt, lessening his effectiveness. so IMO the longer the series goes, the more it favors LA; especially since a few of our young players will get used to the tendencies of certain players. surprises should be lessened.

I've not been impressed with TThomas as a front line player, he prefers to hang on the perimeter. tskitishvili is no more than a journeyman #4 (a poor man's/homeless version of dirk).

the key to beating the suns, keep the game deliberate, run the offense. get the suns to play defense in the paint (vs. our punishing bigs (kwame, turiaf & mihm)).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Interesting and insightful breakdown of today's game.
DancingBarry wrote:
The real benefit for them will be to take apart this game and see how Phil plans to attack them in the playoffs. We were much more focussed in our game plan. I suspect they may start packing things into the lane a bit more to try to make us stay a bit more honest from the erimeter...hoping we will miss more and ignite their break.
I'm sure that both teams weren't showing any of their existing plans (that will surely change before the actual playoffs) but seeing how the players will compete. It is amazing that when Smush decides to "tightened-up" his defense on the PG how the Suns defense slowed down - admittedly they didn't play Nash.

If they start packing the paint, this will slow their offense since they will not be able to "leaked out." In addition, if this will allow the Lakers' "big" (LO, Kwame, etc.) to have an even greater impact on the game.

However, I don't think that the Suns will do the above-listed option because it hasn't been their policy throughout their successful season and it will expose their lack of height in the front court.

If the Lakers severly limit their long shots that eliminated long rebounds - this situation will be to the Lakers' advantage.
coop-a-loop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:

Good analysis DB.

I like how the lakers controlled the tempo today. Although Nash and Bell did not play, the lakers showed that they can at least control Phoenix's up tempo style..something they were not able to do this entire regular season (with or without Nash). There were times this wherein Nash was on the bench and the Suns still blew the lakers off the floor.

I like how the Laker players, especially Kobe attacked the rim everytime. 23 ft attempts is amazing. The key to slowing down phoenix is to grind them out inside, and not settle for quick outside shots..even if those shots are open. Against this Suns team, the most glaring defensive weakness is their interior. With only Marion, Diaw, an old Grant, and an unhealthy Kurt Thomas, every laker should make phoenix pay by trying to score int he paint and getting those guys in foul trouble. many have pointed out that attacking the paint will create fouls, stop the clock, and avoid having us play Phoenix's up tempo bball. It also prevents those long rebounds Phoenix loves to grab to start their transition offense that usually leads to open threes and uncontested layups.

I would like to see how this Phoenix team will fare against the best playoff coach and the best player in the league... in a seven game series with no back to back games. I like our chances. The Suns have an amazing offense, but if you control the tempo, the have a big holes you can exploit.

Go lakers!
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
There's always room for improvement... I still see a few major things we have to strive to improve on. At times, we lose the rhythm, tempo, and momentum[use your own terms]. I made a comment about Sasha, for example... I thought Sasha was kind of out of sync, with the rest of the team. Sasha didn't seem to "feel" when he was open, and should shoot... As if he heard me, or read my comment, Sasha began to sense that he was open, and he just turned, and executed a couple of nice baskets!!

I still feel that Kobe has to control himself, at times. Others also commented, that Kobe should probably have kept the ball moving[or, words to that effect]. I have to say, however, to balance things out, that Kobe DID take it to the hole more often, in this game. Kobe was aggressive, from the start, and set the tone. This is the playoff Kobe. At times there was still the exposing of the ball, and the turnover.

Walton also seemed to get carried away, a couple of times... I thought he tried to get too "cute", with some of his lob passes, instead of finishing, himself.

Kwame seems to regress, at times, to the Kwame that can't finish under the basket, but he came through, more often than not. I see one of Kwame's biggest weaknesses, as his seeming inability, to move with the ball, and create his own shot. Kwame is best, when he's cleaning up, or open, for a quick dish off, and he just has to elevate and dunk. I wonder if Kwame is really taking any advice, from Kareem...??

Overall, the key factor is that we have gone to another level. The team seems to know how to work together more. I saw another bit of evidence, that McKie could be a much needed factor, with his ability to scan the floor, and find the open man. The problem is that McKie hasn't been able to work with the team enough. I hope others see the possibility, of using McKie, at times, to help bring the team together, on the court.

We could be one of those "Cinderella Teams". I've been hearing alot of rumors, that teams are afraid of us, in the first round.

good !!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:

I thought Odom and Bryant played very good defense in this game. They cut off passing lanes and didn't give up penetration one on one. Help defense was also much better.

Great to see the Lakers finally utilize their strengths against the weaknesses against the Suns. No reason that should change even with Nash in the lineup.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: