March 29th: Profit a fan of Brown. Talking With: Brian Shaw.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: March 29th: Profit a fan of Brown. Talking With: Brian Shaw.

Profit a fan of Brown
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - For all the negativity that has surrounded Kwame Brown in his NBA career, Laron Profit has been one of the encouraging voices in his ear, first when they were teammates in Washington, then after they came to the Lakers.

Profit has remained close to the Lakers even after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon in December that led to his release. And Profit has a sense of perspective unmatched when it comes to Brown, who has averaged 16.3 points and nine rebounds the past four games.

"Like I tell people all the time, Kwame's only 24 years old," Profit said. "People don't realize that because they see a 7-foot kid with tremendous physical tools. He's just starting to scratch the surface of what he can do with his game, from a mental standpoint.

"This game is really not about physical tools. It's about mentally, how do you prepare yourself and what type of attitude do you take into every game. And at 24, unfortunately, he's still learning that. There are kids right now in college who are a year or two younger than him.

"I just think people have to understand that. And Kwame has to commit himself to bringing the same attitude to the game every day. And if he does that, the rest will take care of itself."

Last edited by Phil on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject:

Suns Appear to Be in Playoff Forecast
By Pete Thomas, Times Staff Writer
March 29, 2006

The Lakers' hard-fought battle to secure a playoff berth continues, but after nearly an entire season of trials and tribulations, they have found their footing, won four in a row and appear poised to attain that goal.

Trouble is, they appear to be playing right into the deft hands and nimble feet of the Phoenix Suns — a team they have not beaten in six tries since trading Shaquille O'Neal before the 2004-05 season.

The Lakers are seventh in the Western Conference, with a reasonably comfortable 2 1/2 -game lead over the Sacramento Kings, who hold the eighth and final playoff position.

The Suns are second, 7 1/2 games behind the San Antonio Spurs and 7 1/2 games ahead of the Denver Nuggets, so their seeding is not likely to change.

Thus, a first-round series between the Lakers and Suns, though not imminent, appears likely.

"Didn't we win the first time we played them?" said Smush Parker, who shrugged when told the answer was no but went on to say the Lakers are "much more focused" now than they were then. "We've done our homework. We know their personnel. We know their plays, so we can execute our defensive strategy as well as our offensive strategy."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject:

Lakers welcome break

By AL BALDERAS
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO – Victories over Boston, Sacramento, Milwaukee and New Orleans have allowed the Lakers to match their season-high winning streak at four games. But will a three-day break in their schedule take momentum away as they continue to compete for a playoff berth?

Getting back into playing mode probably will be easier for some players than adjusting to a day off.

"I had a day off in Los Angeles, and I was lost," guard Smush Parker said. "I didn't know what to do. I don't know what this feels like anymore. To be home and not to do anything. I stayed home and watched a little TV, checked some shows out that I didn't know came on at certain times of the day."

Despite his momentary confusion, Parker and his teammates were able to make the best of the situation. A few players, Parker included, reported to the team's training facility for medical treatment, while others got a chance for some rest.

"I believe it's something that's needed," said Parker, who has averaged a little more than 10 points per game in the past four games. "It's been a long time since we've had a break like this. We've been going at it the last six months straight, and a couple days off will do us some justice."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Talking With: Brian Shaw

In his four years as a Laker, Brian Shaw never averaged more than 5.3 points or 3.2 assists, yet he had a profound effect on the team during their threepeat run. A steadying influence on the court and a respected presence in the locker room, Phil Jackson leaned on Shaw for crunch time minutes, and was usually rewarded. He used to be a coach on the floor. Now he's a Laker assistant and, more than likely, a future NBA head coach. I had a chance to talk with Shaw Tuesday afternoon at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo.

Brian Kamenetzky: Talk about the process of coaching for you, moving from being a player to being a coach.

Brian Shaw: The first year I stopped playing, Phil told me I needed to kind of distance myself from the guys a little bit, because it was all the guys I played with, so I could come back and have more of a respect factor from the coaching angle and not just be so buddy, buddy with everybody. But it was still kind of tough because you still feel like you can play. The toughest thing is standing up in practice in one spot for two hours and not moving. I've never had any problems with my back, but now my back is constantly tight just from standing around. So I want to get out there and actually get into some drills and get moving so that everything kind of loosens up.

BK: Do you have to fight that urge?

BS: Yeah, I do. And then a lot of times what ends up happening after practice is that some of the young guys will challenge you. So I end up playing three on three or playing some of the shooting games and then that kind of keeps me connected.

BK: What style have you developed as a coach. Have you been around it long enough to do that?

BS: I like the triangle offense, but every game that we play, if there's one or two wrinkles out of (our opponent's) offense or defensive scheme, I keep a book with all the different ideas that I like. Overall, I like pressure defense, I like an aggressive rotating defense, and I like the ball to move on the offense and for everybody to get a touch and feel like they're part of the game. Being a point guard, for me it's vital to have good guard play, and a point guard that's aware that maybe this guy hasn't touched the ball the last three or four times down the court, so you've got to give him a touch to keep him involved in the game.

BK: You mentioned the triangle, and I'm sure that comes from Phil and Tex and guys like that. Who are some of your other inspirations and models in coaching?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: