March 24th: Lakers vs. Milwaukee. Jackson hopes momentum carries over tonight. Mihm out another 4 weeks.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: March 24th: Lakers vs. Milwaukee. Jackson hopes momentum carries over tonight. Mihm out another 4 weeks.

Lakers notes: Jackson hopes momentum carries over tonight
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - If not for their fourth-quarter collapse Sunday in Cleveland, the Lakers might have been looking at a stretch in which they won three consecutive games and led from start to finish in each of them.

They led by 19 points in the first half Monday at Boston and held off the Celtics. Two nights later, the Lakers built a 20-point lead in the first half against Sacramento and never let the Kings closer than five points late.

Now the challenge for the Lakers - who have not put together a three-game winning streak since Jan. 16 - is to carry over the momentum from beating Sacramento into tonight's game against Milwaukee.

After playing their biggest rival Wednesday, with seventh place in the Western Conference standings at stake, the Lakers have to turn their attention to an easy-to-overlook Bucks team they haven't faced since Dec. 6.

"It would be nice to put a streak together, but we haven't shown that in the past," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "We have to really gear up to get into this. This is a (Lakers) team that ends up winning a couple and seems to relax or drop their guard.

"We just tried to buckle them up today and really make sure that they understand that there's an important game tomorrow."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

Mihm Told He's Out at Least Four More Weeks
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 24, 2006

Chris Mihm limped over to the treadmill and gingerly stepped onto it before the belt began to move, ever so slowly, never accelerating past a walk.

The Laker center, sidelined since severely spraining his right foot March 12, has been undergoing therapy and treatment to try to return before the regular season ends April 19.

He was told he was still four to five weeks away from healing, he said Thursday, with the results of a recent MRI exam continuing to linger in his mind. There were no broken bones, but …

"The MRI showed I had pretty much torn everything I could in there without dislocating the ankle," he said.

Mihm was averaging 10.4 points and 6.4 rebounds. He had become possibly the Lakers' third-best player, and certainly one of their most consistent. His goal now is to beat the calendar.

"I've worked too long and too hard to have this end my season," he said.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:

Stuck-on-two Lakers take another shot

By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register

EL SEGUNDO – Winning three games in a row used to be simple for Phil Jackson-coached teams. Now the best the coach can do is hope for three good results.

The Lakers have been unable to string together three consecutive victories since the All-Star break. They have won two in a row four times but come up short in the third game each time.

The Lakers have another shot at winning three consecutive games when they face Milwaukee tonight at Staples Center.

"We talked about it," Jackson said. "I'm optimistic that we can put a little streak together, but we haven't shown that.

"This is a team that when they win a couple, they seem to relax, let down their guard. So we tried to buckle them up today and make sure they know what to do against Milwaukee. I can't guarantee that (we will win another), but we will be aiming for it, though. They need to try to get their minds around this game."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Sunderland Moves On After His Laker Setback
March 24, 2006

Paul Sunderland got the devastating news a year ago Sunday. His agent at the time called, telling him that the Lakers were not going to renew his contract.

A few days later, Sunderland got a letter from Frank Mariani, Laker executive vice president, that strongly implied that Sunderland was out as the Lakers' television play-by-play announcer.

"It was obviously a tremendous disappointment," Sunderland said this week. "But what's done is done. There is no going back.

"It was difficult and painful for myself and my family. But every day is a new day and you've got to move forward."

Sunderland says he still doesn't know exactly why he was let go.

"I've got some ideas, but that's for a conversation another day," he said. "I don't want to linger or focus on the past."

Joel Meyers, Sunderland's replacement, was accused, particularly on talk radio, of politicking to move from radio to television. But Meyers has vehemently denied that, and sources close to the situation back him up.

So the question remains: Why was Sunderland's contract not renewed?
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject:

Preview: Bucks at Lakers
Posted: March 23, 2006
UP NEXT

Teams: Milwaukee Bucks (34-34) vs. Los Angeles Lakers (36-34).

When: 9:30 p.m. Friday.

Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles.

Broadcasts: TV - WCGV (Channel 24). Radio - WTMJ-AM (620).

About the Lakers: They're coming off an 87-80 victory over Sacramento on Wednesday that helped the Lakers in their battle with the Kings for seventh place in the Western Conference. Before that, the Lakers lost to New Jersey by three points and Cleveland by one before defeating Boston in the final game of a three-game eastern trip. By beating the Celtics, the Lakers avoided falling below .500 for the first time since Jan. 3, when they were 15-16.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Bucks-Lakers Preview

GAME: Milwaukee Bucks (34-34) at Los Angeles Lakers (36-34).

TIME: Friday, 10:30 p.m. EST.

Kwame Brown helped the Los Angeles Lakers start their four-game homestand on a positive note.

Brown and the Lakers seek to aid their playoff push with a third straight victory when they take on the Milwaukee Bucks.

Los Angeles moved one game ahead of Sacramento for seventh place in the Western Conference by beating the Kings, 87-80 on Wednesday. The Lakers won despite scoring only 34 second-half points and finishing with their fewest overall points since Feb. 24.

The most surprising aspect of the win, though, was Brown's strong play. The much-maligned former top overall draft pick had one of the best games of his career, with a season-high 21 points and 12 rebounds.

``I've just got to keep being solid,'' Brown said. ``I know I'm going to be in there. I can make a mistake and recover from it - just play good, sound basketball.''

It marked the fourth double-double of the season for Brown, who also scored in double figures for only the 13th time all year. Brown has scored more than 20 points just seven times in his five-year career.

``It makes me very proud of him,'' said Kobe Bryant of Brown's latest effort. ``I look at all these guys here as little brothers, and to see him out there on the floor in practice working hard is great.

``People have called in on radio stations and talk shows and bashed him, but they don't see him in practice, and they don't see these guys in practice, before practice even, working on their game. So when you see him improve, it's not just something that came out of nowhere - it's from hard work.''
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: