LAKERS -at- CELTICS - 3/20 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: LAKERS -at- CELTICS - 3/20 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings

Kobe in the Fourth... Down the stretch (the last 8 minutes of the game), the offense consisted of Kobe, Kobe and more Kobe. Some good, some bad...and a lot of standing around by others. No one else scored during those last 8 minutes. Kobe had 16 of the team's 23 points on 6-10 shooting in the fourth. Luckily, we held the Celtics to 23 points and took the 105-97 win.

That's not exactly the kind of balance you want from your offense. Other guys need to step up and play more aggressive. Too often we end up running the Tri with no purpose and then get him the ball to try to create with the shotclock low. We got away with it tonight.

A little has been made over the Kobe vs. Pierce matchup. Pierce had a good third quarter, but was shut down in the other quarters, including scoring just 2 points in the fourth. “We did a good job defensively locking him down, trying to keep him off the free throw line as much as possible and just keep him in front of us,” Kobe said in the Boston Herald. “Personally, I just enjoyed the matchup. I enjoy playing defense against the top scorers. I enjoy that more than scoring the ball, so it’s always fun.”

Kobe -- -- Kobe scored 43 points on 18-39 shooting (0-5 from three and 7-10 from the line). He had 5 steals and only one attempt that I recall not paying off and leading to a score. He added 4 assists and 5 boards in 40:37 of action. "It was one of those games where I think the number of shots he took was too high," Phil said in the Daily News, "but he thought he was going to get fouled and he took the shots because he felt the pressure on him." Kobe missed his first four shots, before connecting on a long-strided drive over Pierce. He hit a FT jumper popping open in the Tri. He banked in a midrange shot and attacked the lane and hit a high arching jumper, he wanted fouls on both. He fed Kwame on the mismatch for a score. He crossed over Pierce badly but missed the layup. He stole a pass and threw the outlet to Smush for a dunk. He pulled up on the wing and hit a 21 footer. He didn't wait for the last shot of the quarter, attacked off the dribble, hung in the air and hit a tough shot in the lane. He had 12 points on 6-12 shooting. He got hit on a three attempt, airballed and got no call, should have been three FTs. He tried to throwdown a reverse jam, blowing past Wally, but he back-rimmed it. He hit a controlled turnaround jumper from the wing. He powered in a layup past Gomes for a score. He faced up and hit a wing jumper when Cook picked Kobe's man. He cut down the lane and Kwame spotted him for a dunk. He attacked the lane, got the whistle and his first trip to the line, where he made one. He went up high for an offensive board, then popped back up and hit the 8-footer. He attacked, was pushed in the back and called for the travel. He attacked, got clobbered and got to the line for FTs. To start the fourth, he hit a turnaround on the baseline. He came weak to strong off a double screen and hit an open wing jumper (nice Tri sequence where he was wide open). The Laker offense pretty much consisted of getting the ball to Kobe or looking for him to bail them out. He was blocked on a turnaround. He hit a tough turnaround with a defender all over him. He hit another turnaround. He faced up and hit a wing jumper with his heels on the three line. He attacked in transition, scored a layup and he got knocked down with no call. Then he hit a few FTs to close out the game on obvious calls. Still, he was getting hit again in this game with little love from the refs. "It's crazy," he said. "The shots I was hitting in the fourth quarter, they were hitting me in my arm. You've just got to shoot through it."

Odom -- -- Lamar's three shooting contines to be a bright spot. When he steps into his shot, he seems to be making a higher percentage of them. He scored 17 points on 6-10 shooting, half of those makes and attempts were from behind the arc. Not quite the balance you want to see, and certainly you hope to see more attempts than that. He also had 9 boards, 4 assists and a team-high 7 turnovers. He made a weak pass at the top of the key and it resulted in a dunk the other way on one of them. Lamar didn't start off aggressive, he hit a three on his first shot 11 minutes into the game. He swished another three, stepping into it. He gave the ball up to Luke on the break, got it back and scored a layup. He pulled down an offensive board off a missed FT and scored. He posted up, drew an instant double and kicked it to Smush for a three. He crashed the offensive board and tapped in a Kobe miss. He swished another three, stepping into it. He attacked and drew FTs, making both. In the fourth quarter, he had just 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers and 0 points. Still, a solid game. "The biggest change in this ballclub now is the play of Lamar," Kobe said in the Times. "He's really understanding the fluidity and how to execute the offense. He's gotten more comfortable and, as a result, he's more consistent. That gives us a big, big boost."

Smush -- -- Another strong starting first quarter for Smush. He was practically passed the ball by the Celtics for an easy uncontested layup on the other end to start the game. Kobe set him up and Smush finished over the help defender. He then attacked the lane and kicked to Cook for a jumper. He pulled up and buried a wing three. He dunked on an uncontested breakout when Kobe stole a pass and found him. He had 9 points on 4-5 shooting in the first quarter. He hit a tough runner over Pierce. He curled off a pick then whipped it back to Cook for an open jumper. He swished a three off the first shot in the second half when Lamar kicked it out from the post. Nice pull-up on the break to find a trailing Kwame for the And-1. He ballwatched on D and his man went under the hoop, stood there and received a pass for a layup. For the most part, though, he did a decent job on D, playing under the screens tonight. He finished with 14 points on 6-11 shooting, 5 boards and 5 assists with 1 turnover.

Kwame -- -- I really liked Kwame's game tonight. He gave the Lakers some real post scoring tonight versus solely garbage scoring or being set up by others. That helped round out his game. He had 11 points on 5-7 shooting, 9 boards, and a team-high tying 5 assists in 35 minutes. After the horrid job on the offensive glass the team did in the prior game, Kwame pulled down 4 offensive boards in this one. He missed a midrange jumper. He posted up, spun and hit a short jumphook. He scored easily in transition when Kobe spotted a mismatch and fed the post. He backed his man down off the dribble, spun and banked in an And-1 (he missed the FT). Another nice offensive board, this time he spotted Kobe cutting down the lane for a dunk. He finished strongly at the rim with two hands on the break for the And-1. He posted up and missed a turnaround jumper in the lane. Nice short weak-to-strong dive cut, the caught the pass and finished with one hand off the glass (like to see more of that type of manufacturing of points in the system).

Cook -- -- Some foul-prone play from Cook tonight. He got some cheap ones or had to take some other fouls. Consequently, he played just 14:53 and scored 6 points on 3-6 shooting. He did a decent job on the boards, pulling down 4 in that time. He hit a long jumper from the side off a kickout from Smush. He hit another jumper from about the same spot off an inbounds play. He drained an open jumper off a set play on the other side. He picked up a couple more fouls and had to sit midway through the third.

George -- -- Some serviceable minutes by Devean tonight. He hit an 18-footer early in the fourth for his only points. He got blocked on a jumper. He grabbed 3 boards and his general activity led to 3 steals. Hopefully, he can get back into that rhythm he left off at prior to the injury.

Walton -- -- Luke continues to play some steady ball. Besides the hoop by George, Luke was the only non-Kobe player to score in the fourth, where he got 5 of his 9 points (which led the bench). He also had 6 boards, 4 on the offensive end and 4 assists. Quality bench play from him tonight. He hit a wing jumper off the pinch post with Kwame. He missed a point-blank putback. He fumbled the ball on the break for a turnover. He found Lamar in transition with a bounce pass for a layup. He swished a wing jumper. He nailed a corner three with a man rushing at him off a kickout from Sasha. And, he knocked down a couple of FTs. Too bad he was the only other Laker looking active in the fourth tonight.

Vujacic -- -- Sort of your standard Sasha game...not a spark off the bench, but serviceable minutes. He played 12:43, scored 3 points on his only attempt, had a couple assists and a couple of fouls. Good pressure D in the backcourt resulted in a travel violation. He nailed a three from the side over his man. Nice attack down the lane and kickout to Luke for a three.

Jackson -- -- He had a 4:55 stint in the first half where he didn't take a shot or score, but got an assist and three rebounds. One was a great defensive board tapping it to himself away from a Celtic bigman.

Bynum -- -- He got blocked on his first attempt, turning into the defender and trying shot over him with really jumping or making any kind of a move...maybe in high school you could shoot over people like that, not at this level. Good contest of a shot from Wally to get a miss. Disruptive enough on the offensive glass that the Lakers got a possession back. He missed a 10-footer off a weakside flash to get the pass. He didn't score in three attempts in 4:29 of first half playing time.

Turiaf -- -- In for a short 3:15 stint, nothing to report.

Phil -- -- The fourth quarter offense stagnated into getting Kobe the ball while everyone watched. Tonight, we somehow managed to hang on. Does anybody trust this team when it comes to closing and opponent out? "The games itself are excruciating because we've lost so many close games," the Zen Master said in the Daily News. "We're on a path to try and give the coach a heart attack on the bench. Either that or a stroke. They're doing a good job of it. These players are trying to exasperate me. I've told them many times one of these days they're going to look up and I won't be there on the bench anymore."... The Lakers shot 1 free throw in the first half. They finished the game shooting 12-16 from the line... Out of the gate of the second half, they run a simple play I've been harping on all season. They put Smush in the high post, Lamar fed him the ball, then ran the pinch post cut and posted up in the low post, where he got the ball back. He forced an instant double and kicked it to Smush for a three. That's a simple way for Lamar to get into the post out of the offense. Drives me nuts that we rarely see it, and that it has to come off a set call out of a half or timeout... Phil on the free throw issues with the refs: "I think the more attention you draw to it, the worse it becomes, so it's better just to shut up and swallow your pride," he said in the Times... Big game for the Lakers coming up...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject:

I kept track of a stat on Kobe's shooting and points off empty possessions from the SECOND quarter until the end. On Kobe misses or TOs, there were 21 points scored. To me, that seems like FAR too many. That's not strictly fastbreak points, but misses that lead to FTs or three pointers, etc. Any points off Kobe misses or Turnovers.

Seems like a high number. Not sure it can be justified with "he scores 35 a game so that's ok."

I'm going to try and start keeping track of this for a few games. Just to see if this is a one game anomally or something that is a bigger problem. Something I've suspected for a while.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject:

thanks, DB...
it seems to me that phil's vision of the triple post offense is still very dogmatic... every rule works only if it supports some exceptions... sometimes a few pick&rolls would help not only kobe when is doubleteamed but also the other players to have some dynamic role in the offense... a player like brian cook -with his quick shot- would be finally effective in a p&r situation...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject:

8750 wrote:
a player like brian cook -with his quick shot- would be finally effective in a p&r situation...

Yeah, I mentioned that a couple games back. We don't know how to milk a hot hand and we have a lot of trouble right now running this offense with purpose. Cook, with a hot hand, makes the offense pretty simple. Kobe could just call the high screen with Cook and work it, since it is a set option. You will see Kobe do that a bit when he's initiating the offense, but he's not in that same role as before.

I really think the Tri takes a couple of years for the average player to get comfortable running it. The Lakers had that core group in their championship runs and ran the offense quite well in the second and third championships. In that run to the Finals with Malone and GP, we were pretty clueless. That's why we trailed every series because it took us a while to understand each opponent's weaknesses and how to exploit them in the Tri. Right now, we kind of dabble with a few things in the offense, but don't seem to have a group knowledge of how to consistently get what we want.

I see what Phil does out of timeouts in the middle of the game, and it is really some simple things. Things the guys should be running without having a deadball to look at it on paper. That Lamar pinch post sequence to get him the ball in low position to start the half...just basic Tri, yet we do it once to start the half and then the players don't go back to it.

They've certainly progressed. I thought Mihm just before his injury was making some of his best read and reacts all year. Kwame gets a few moments where the light goes on every so often. Lamar, as Kobe mentioned, is certainly much better and able to take advantage of things more...but he needs to keep that motor going all 48. Smush is utilizing the post a little more and ran that one double screen pass to Cook quite well tonight.

Then, of course, there is the other end...where guys stop cutting, where we make bad angle entry passes, we're we are out of position defensively off a miss, etc....a lot of simple things that kill us. Especially, when we do that stupid stuff in the last couple minutes of a close game.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

JJ played very smart minutes. he's just playing a role, i.e. rebounding, running without the ball and keeping the offense moving, when kobe's out of the game.

IMO, he's made a positive impact with the three rebbies and offensive cuts. very sure handed and clean with his outlet passes. he's like kobe, i.e. usually crosses the mid-court line without turning the ball over.

he doesn't need to "hang onto the ball." and when JJ's in the game, it seems that lamar is more willing to take care of the offense (except he was taking outside shots).

I hope JJ continues to expand his role. He could provide needed veteran leadership.

phil did a better job with timeouts tonight. the other night, I was so p'd with the late game management, execution and decisions. I hope it evolves into playoff intelligence, rather than late season foolishness.

good work db!
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject:

Jeremy you still sticking to you're 46-36 prediction?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Kobe could just call the high screen with Cook and work it, since it is a set option. You will see Kobe do that a bit when he's initiating the offense, but he's not in that same role as before.

The Lakers had that core group in their championship runs and ran the offense quite well in the second and third championships. . . . . don't seem to have a group knowledge of how to consistently get what we want.

Mihm just before his injury was making some of his best read and reacts all year.

Lamar, as Kobe mentioned, is certainly much better and able to take advantage of things more...but he needs to keep that motor going all 48. Smush is utilizing the post a little more and ran that one double screen pass to Cook quite well tonight.

when we do that stupid stuff in the last couple minutes of a close game.
DB - great job as always. Missed your commentary on the last game - it was hard to live(?!?!) since I'm addicted to your analysis and breakdown?!?!?!

Question: Since Cook seemingly has picked up the "Mihm-itis" of getting early fouls, do you think that the players are not comfortable (surprising since it is the end of the season) of working the "Pick & Pop" with LO/Smush/Kobe since he hasn't been getting enough PT? Maybe having Turiaff start the game, with Cook coming in the second half might be something that he uses again since it did put a fire in his butt that might motivate him to get more than the 6 points/4PF/4 Boards - defensive/6 shot attempts in 15 minutes of PT?!?!

Question: Your concept of "group knowledge" - along with mental toughness is something that PJ is desperately trying to teach these Lakers (note: Kobe has stated that this edition of Lakers might be "slow learners, but they will learn in time" (hopefully before the playoffs) is behind all of PJ's actions. Do you think that the team (in general) might not be in the physical shape that this team needs to be in to expertly work the Triangle at the end of games - since a fatique factor would definitely affect the decision-making process (especially during this stretch of games where we need to find somebody to replace the many minutes that DG & Mihm would have played that has forced PJ to play 6 players with the majority of the minutes)?

Question: How would you try to keep Kobe/LO's minutes under 40 minutes per game with the current team - considering the injuries?

Question: Would the core players for the playoffs consisting of Mihm, Kwame, Kobe, LO, Smush, DGeorge, Luke and Jim Jackson have enough experience/firepower/basketball IQ/willpower to cause serious damage during the playoffs?

Playoffs: Seemingly, if the Lakers can find some consistency going into the playoffs, do you feel that the above-listed Lakers lineup could cause some damage to the following teams:
** San Antonio (Duncan is not fully recovered and if the utilized their 2/3 zone, they could limit Parker's penetration which would cause serious problems
** Dallas (team plays little defense and the Lakers seem to be getting into their heads. Utilzing the above-listed 2/3 zone to prevent Terry's penetrations with LO guarding Dirk - it would be an interesting series
** Denver (their on again/off again injury problems with Miller having severe problems with guards such as Smush - the Lakers could win this series)

The most challenging task is Phoenix, but teams have shown that if the opposing teams takes Nash out of the game (by having the PG "shadow" him everywhere and in front of him so that he doesn't get a full head of steam immediately that prevents him from pushing the ball) and having a player that can get Diaw in foul trouble by posting him in the paint (i.e. Mihm, LO, Brown) - the Lakers can win some games, don't know about the series
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
I kept track of a stat on Kobe's shooting and points off empty possessions from the SECOND quarter until the end. On Kobe misses or TOs, there were 21 points scored. To me, that seems like FAR too many. That's not strictly fastbreak points, but misses that lead to FTs or three pointers, etc. Any points off Kobe misses or Turnovers.

Seems like a high number. Not sure it can be justified with "he scores 35 a game so that's ok."

I'm going to try and start keeping track of this for a few games. Just to see if this is a one game anomally or something that is a bigger problem. Something I've suspected for a while.

Just do me one favor, factor in the number of assists he gets too because that will help to keep your "analysis" balanced. In the Cavs game he had 11 assists, leading to at least 22 extra points for the team.
jxhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Just do me one favor, factor in the number of assists he gets too because that will help to keep your "analysis" balanced. In the Cavs game he had 11 assists, leading to at least 22 extra points for the team.

EXACTLY.

Uh...exposed!
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:

Good stuff, DB.

Lakers had some really impressive numbers. 27 assists. 11 steals. FG% from starters around Kobe (48 points on 20-34 FG)

Overall a good win. Anytime you can go in and beat a team that has a rowdy crowd like that and a top class player in Pierce - it's a good road win IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

Kobe 20-34? More like 18-39. Like Phil said, that's way too many shots. Luckily, we were able to pull out the win. I don't like that kind of imbalance. I know Kobe is going to take the bulk of the shots, I'm even ok with 25-30 per game. But 39 is a ridiculous number of shots to be jacking up. If he shoots that many, he better have about 60 points, or he's hurting the team. 43 points off 39 shots isn't efficient at all. Again, like the last game, he should have gone to the line on some of those, but he didn't.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB glad the Lakers could finally get the gorilla off their backs.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

Kobe to the rescue! He's really the only player (maybe by default) that when he gets hot, the team makes a concerted effort to get him the ball. Cookie, LO, Smush - even when they're carrying a hot hand, will go thru stretches without getting touches.

NKPOG = Kwame. Nice job being an offensive threat and pulling down 9 boards. The chant continues: Be like Ben. Be like Ben.

We all know how famous the Celts are for getting some hometown cooking, but for the Lakers to only shoot 1 FT in the 1st half is just strange. Fortunately, the refs didn't allow PP to get his usual 20+ FTs against the Lakers.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
Kobe 20-34? More like 18-39. Like Phil said, that's way too many shots. Luckily, we were able to pull out the win. I don't like that kind of imbalance. I know Kobe is going to take the bulk of the shots, I'm even ok with 25-30 per game. But 39 is a ridiculous number of shots to be jacking up. If he shoots that many, he better have about 60 points, or he's hurting the team. 43 points off 39 shots isn't efficient at all. Again, like the last game, he should have gone to the line on some of those, but he didn't.

He should have shot at least 10 more free throws. A lot of those misses should have been erased with foul calls, no question about it.

If the officials did not have an agenda last night, Kobe shoots 10 more free throws and ends the night 19-34 with over 50 points. Very efficient, he was about as efficient as a player could be getting hit and pushed and checked throughout a game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:

I said the guys around Kobe - meaning Odom, Parker, Kwame and Cook - shot 20-34

That's what a great supporting cast does. They take full advantage of the superstar.

Can these guys do it consistently? Time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:

IF kobe's stat line was FG 18-33, FT 10-12, 50pts in 38mins and we had a blown out win, would you be happier? It would've been like that, you know, Had the refs called the game as it is.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, always good to read your insight.
I was reading a Boston article this morning and found it funny how they picked out the moment where Pierce rolled his ankle in the 1st to the turning point in the game. After that apparently they were doomed.
Im really happy with Kwame's play recently, to me his 5 assists means he is finding his way in the offence. Has Odom turned the corner? Im sure many are waiting for him to have a bad game so they can trash him, but i think he is finally developing some consistency and confidence in his role. I to would rather Kobe shoot less than 39 times, especially when the rest of the guys are starting to click. But Kobe won us that game in the 4th and we really needed the W.
Hopefully we can carry this momentum over into the big game tommorow.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DB - great job as always. Missed your commentary on the last game - it was hard to live(?!?!) since I'm addicted to your analysis and breakdown?!?!?!

I had a few paragraphs on LG2 since LG1 was down all day.

Quote:

Question: Since Cook seemingly has picked up the "Mihm-itis" of getting early fouls, do you think that the players are not comfortable (surprising since it is the end of the season) of working the "Pick & Pop" with LO/Smush/Kobe since he hasn't been getting enough PT? Maybe having Turiaff start the game, with Cook coming in the second half might be something that he uses again since it did put a fire in his butt that might motivate him to get more than the 6 points/4PF/4 Boards - defensive/6 shot attempts in 15 minutes of PT?!?!

If it is Mihm-itis, then they should go to him early...like they do with Mihm. Milk it while they can. Pick and pop is easy to run, shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:

Do you think that the team (in general) might not be in the physical shape that this team needs to be in to expertly work the Triangle at the end of games - since a fatique factor would definitely affect the decision-making process (especially during this stretch of games where we need to find somebody to replace the many minutes that DG & Mihm would have played that has forced PJ to play 6 players with the majority of the minutes)?

I don't know. They are young. If older players like Fox, Fish and Horry, etc. can do it, then they can at some point regardless of fatigue.

Quote:

Question: How would you try to keep Kobe/LO's minutes under 40 minutes per game with the current team - considering the injuries?

No easy answer. Get them rest in the first half of games when we get those big leads, I guess. We need wins, so they have to play. Good thing is we've got a home-heavy schedule...you don't have to deal with the fatigue of travel. So, that may help.

Quote:

Question: Would the core players for the playoffs consisting of Mihm, Kwame, Kobe, LO, Smush, DGeorge, Luke and Jim Jackson have enough experience/firepower/basketball IQ/willpower to cause serious damage during the playoffs?

I wouldn't want to face us if we are healthy. I don't know what your definition of serious damage is, though. We'd have to have a lot go right for us to get to the WCF. We could certainly take a team like Dallas out in the first round.

Quote:

Playoffs: Seemingly, if the Lakers can find some consistency going into the playoffs, do you feel that the above-listed Lakers lineup could cause some damage to the following teams:
** San Antonio (Duncan is not fully recovered and if the utilized their 2/3 zone, they could limit Parker's penetration which would cause serious problems
** Dallas (team plays little defense and the Lakers seem to be getting into their heads. Utilzing the above-listed 2/3 zone to prevent Terry's penetrations with LO guarding Dirk - it would be an interesting series
** Denver (their on again/off again injury problems with Miller having severe problems with guards such as Smush - the Lakers could win this series)

The most challenging task is Phoenix, but teams have shown that if the opposing teams takes Nash out of the game (by having the PG "shadow" him everywhere and in front of him so that he doesn't get a full head of steam immediately that prevents him from pushing the ball) and having a player that can get Diaw in foul trouble by posting him in the paint (i.e. Mihm, LO, Brown) - the Lakers can win some games, don't know about the series

Phoenix is the toughest challenge. They pass quick out of the P&R and we don't react fast enough. You definitely have to try to make Nash a scorer and have him work on the other end.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject:

koolruningz wrote:
I was reading a Boston article this morning and found it funny how they picked out the moment where Pierce rolled his ankle in the 1st to the turning point in the game. After that apparently they were doomed.

Yet, strangely, it didn't affect his big third quarter.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

jxhopper wrote:
targetman wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

EXACTLY.

Uh...exposed!

Uh...no!

DB and I have been curious about this very stat ever since a few people were blaming the defense instead of the offense against Seattle. I mean, we scored 113 and they scored 120, OBVIOUSLY it had NOTHING to do with the bad shots that turn into points on the other end.

:roll:

Any team that decides to grab the rebound and push it is going to really hurt us, because we don't have a great transition Defense. When that's obvious, you must work to get the best shot possible. That's what great teams do, like the Spurs and Pistons, they work to get the best shot possible, so that they might make it and get to set there halfcourt D up.

Again, this was something DB and I BOTH wanted to track. He can't do it with the T&R as it puts more work on his shoulders. So, I offered to do it.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
koolruningz wrote:

Yet, strangely, it didn't affect his big third quarter.

Exactly, how bizzare.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

It's nice to get a "W" on the road.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
jxhopper wrote:
targetman wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

EXACTLY.

Uh...exposed!

Uh...no!

DB and I have been curious about this very stat ever since a few people were blaming the defense instead of the offense against Seattle. I mean, we scored 113 and they scored 120, OBVIOUSLY it had NOTHING to do with the bad shots that turn into points on the other end.

Any team that decides to grab the rebound and push it is going to really hurt us, because we don't have a great transition Defense. When that's obvious, you must work to get the best shot possible. That's what great teams do, like the Spurs and Pistons, they work to get the best shot possible, so that they might make it and get to set there halfcourt D up.

Again, this was something DB and I BOTH wanted to track. He can't do it with the T&R as it puts more work on his shoulders. So, I offered to do it.

My issues are usually related to an excess of three-point shooting, which is low percentage/long rebounds which can hurt you when teams push out the break with regularity. And, to some extent, this also applies to difficult shots in general...if we have to take a long turnaround shot with a man all over you, that could result in problems (however, see the note below). Another concern would be any action that leads to a turnover, soft passes, over dribbling into a crowd, the kinds of things go against the fundamentals of the offense. When we aren't passing, it's a problem. Phil will yell at guys to pass or run the offense.

One of the difficult things to track statwise is how/where Kobe is given the ball late in the clock. If he is asked to bail out the offense with a few seconds left, then you can't say he had a bad possession. The team had a bad possession. So, you have to be really careful in that regard, as well. So, if you are going to keep situational stats on this, then you have to be honest as to the situation.

The Seattle game, as I mentioned, definitely had issues of poor offensive execution leading to problems on the defensive end. Kobe said the same thing himself when interviewed by Haley.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
jxhopper wrote:
targetman wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

EXACTLY.

Uh...exposed!

Uh...no!

My issues are usually related to an excess of three-point shooting, which is low percentage/long rebounds which can hurt you when teams push out the break with regularity. And, to some extent, this also applies to difficult shots in general...if we have to take a long turnaround shot with a man all over you, that could result in problems (however, see the note below). Another concern would be any action that leads to a turnover, soft passes, over dribbling into a crowd, the kinds of things go against the fundamentals of the offense. When we aren't passing, it's a problem. Phil will yell at guys to pass or run the offense.

One of the difficult things to track statwise is how/where Kobe is given the ball late in the clock. If he is asked to bail out the offense with a few seconds left, then you can't say he had a bad possession. The team had a bad possession. So, you have to be really careful in that regard, as well. So, if you are going to keep situational stats on this, then you have to be honest as to the situation.

The Seattle game, as I mentioned, definitely had issues of poor offensive execution leading to problems on the defensive end. Kobe said the same thing himself when interviewed by Haley.

That's true, but Kobe is only receiving the ball with 3 seconds on the shot-clock a few times a game. It's not like it happens 10 time a game. Or even 5 times a game. He usually receives the ball with roughly 10 seconds on the clock and the jockers use that as proof that Kobe is forced to just heave it. 10 seconds is PLENTY of time to work a better shot. Kobe's just been lazy about getting the best shot possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: