2024 Laker Draft Thread - Picks 17 and 55
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
Edey's got 27/16 with 10:53 left to go in the 2nd Quarter vs Tennessee

Slow down a little. If he keeps going up his draft will rise and knowing us he will be out of the Pelicans(knowing our luck they will prob end up swaping with us) draft range.

And Edey finished with 40/16

He might be playing himself into top 10 status... a couple more games on the level he's been playing and he's there.

You would think, yet he’s not even mocked as a first round prospect.

He should. In my opinion, he should be one of the best players in this draft class, but teams will have uneducated takes about him like, “he’s a typical slow, lumbering big like Boban Marjanovic“.

And WE need to take advantage of that and draft him. People were saying the same stuff about Jokic. I'm not saying the kid will become Jokic, but he's definitely got a translatable skillset and is one of if not the best player at the college level right now, and since being a 4 year college guy(despite just being 21) is having him drop in drafts, we need to take FULL advantage and get him.

Seen lots of people going "He just has that hook shot..!!" well that 'hookshot' will drop 40.

Fully agree there. Their loss, our gain. Question is: will this front office think that way? Or will they also have that uneducated take on Edey, and go draft yet ANOTHER guard. Or worse, trade it for a non-allstar but big 3rd "star" name like Westbrook?

I freaking want Edey bad. I want a Center BAAAADDDDD. I'm tired of seeing AD having to be the only bigman we have that doesn't suck, and want him to move back to PF before he inevitably suffers a serious injury.

This front office better do its job in that regard.

It’s important imo to consider the make up of the current roster in regards to competing for a ship. Any addition should synergize with the current circumstances and that is a proven veteran center that can provide significant input now that affects winning. I’d prefer the Lakers use the draft pick in a trade for a 12/10 veteran C to go with AD/Rui/LBJ/AR/Dlo + Vando.

Who is this 12/10 Center that any team would trade away for the draft pick?

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/player/_/position/center/table/general/sort/avgRebounds/dir/desc

The only players that fit this description are Nic Claxton (Nets want a crap load for him), Zubac (lol at the idea of Clippers giving him back to us), Clint Capela (makes way too much money to do a trade for), or Jonas Valanciunas (free agent)

The rest are even more unrealistic. Their is no center we can possibly get given our lack of cap space issue, and teams definitely avoiding trading us without screwing us issue.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:

Slow down a little. If he keeps going up his draft will rise and knowing us he will be out of the Pelicans(knowing our luck they will prob end up swaping with us) draft range.

He might be playing himself into top 10 status... a couple more games on the level he's been playing and he's there.

He should. In my opinion, he should be one of the best players in this draft class, but teams will have uneducated takes about him like, “he’s a typical slow, lumbering big like Boban Marjanovic“.

And WE need to take advantage of that and draft him. People were saying the same stuff about Jokic. I'm not saying the kid will become Jokic, but he's definitely got a translatable skillset and is one of if not the best player at the college level right now, and since being a 4 year college guy(despite just being 21) is having him drop in drafts, we need to take FULL advantage and get him.

Seen lots of people going "He just has that hook shot..!!" well that 'hookshot' will drop 40.

Fully agree there. Their loss, our gain. Question is: will this front office think that way? Or will they also have that uneducated take on Edey, and go draft yet ANOTHER guard. Or worse, trade it for a non-allstar but big 3rd "star" name like Westbrook?

I freaking want Edey bad. I want a Center BAAAADDDDD. I'm tired of seeing AD having to be the only bigman we have that doesn't suck, and want him to move back to PF before he inevitably suffers a serious injury.

It’s important imo to consider the make up of the current roster in regards to competing for a ship. Any addition should synergize with the current circumstances and that is a proven veteran center that can provide significant input now that affects winning. I’d prefer the Lakers use the draft pick in a trade for a 12/10 veteran C to go with AD/Rui/LBJ/AR/Dlo + Vando.

I'd take Edey unquestionably if he's available.

Zach Edey working with Phil Handy.
Zach Edey with Anthony Davis next to him on defense.

The league being unable to defend the post and dominant centers starting to make a comeback in the league because they can't be defended and doubling leaves three point shooters wide open.

The league is going to stay in its 3 point way of being, but dominant centers are difference makers, ones that can defend, pass out of the post and are consistent inside. Jokic shoots threes but 34%, Embiid shoots threes but at 33-36% and the majority of their offense comes inside.

In Edey I see a very consistent offensive game inside, knowledge about how to pass out of the post and better mobility than someone of his size is expected to have as well as knowing how to use his size and length on defense. When I saw him able to keep wings/guards in front of him I was sold on that side of his game, if he gets on an NBA regimine, adds muscle and loses some of the baby fat, and gets stronger? He's already 7'4 280 pounds.

The gravity he'd require opens things up for everyone else, and as a multi year college student could probably contribute right away.

Can go over either shoulder, left or right hand, soft touch, consistent finish. It's the basics, but he does them well enough to dominate, and at the NBA level you'd find nair a center that could defend it. Which creates gravity, which is good for the rest of us. Imagine the times when our offense breaks down and we'd have a guy like Edey we could just give the ball to and watch him make a hook shot while the defense can only watch.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:

The league being unable to defend the post and dominant centers starting to make a comeback in the league because they can't be defended and doubling leaves three point shooters wide open.

The league is going to stay in its 3 point way of being, but dominant centers are difference makers, ones that can defend, pass out of the post and are consistent inside. Jokic shoots threes but 34%, Embiid shoots threes but at 33-36% and the majority of their offense comes inside.

In Edey I see a very consistent offensive game inside, knowledge about how to pass out of the post and better mobility than someone of his size is expected to have as well as knowing how to use his size and length on defense. When I saw him able to keep wings/guards in front of him I was sold on that side of his game, if he gets on an NBA regimine, adds muscle and loses some of the baby fat, and gets stronger? He's already 7'4 280 pounds.

The gravity he'd require opens things up for everyone else, and as a multi year college student could probably contribute right away.

Can go over either shoulder, left or right hand, soft touch, consistent finish. It's the basics, but he does them well enough to dominate, and at the NBA level you'd find nair a center that could defend it. Which creates gravity, which is good for the rest of us. Imagine the times when our offense breaks down and we'd have a guy like Edey we could just give the ball to and watch him make a hook shot while the defense can only watch.

are we talking about 1st round or 2nd round? there is no way i am taking him in the first round, and we have a low draft position in the 2nd round, so he might be gone by then.
his biggest issue is foot speed on defense, the most popular play for NBA nowadays is high pnr, and different coaches have different ways of dealing with it, but with our pocket Ham, his solution is switching because we have AD at the 5. same with Hayes/wood. if we fit him into the system, it would have to be a zone defense with backup unit, so definietly not worth a FRP.
he has been playing great in NCAA tourement, but i see a lot of times that opposing center just dribble past him with ease let alone the wing players.
he is an interesting prospect for sure. like i said, he would be a top 3 pick back in the 2000s (see Yao).
Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:
MJST wrote:
Megaton wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:

are we talking about 1st round or 2nd round? there is no way i am taking him in the first round, and we have a low draft position in the 2nd round, so he might be gone by then.
his biggest issue is foot speed on defense, the most popular play for NBA nowadays is high pnr, and different coaches have different ways of dealing with it, but with our pocket Ham, his solution is switching because we have AD at the 5. same with Hayes/wood. if we fit him into the system, it would have to be a zone defense with backup unit, so definietly not worth a FRP.
he has been playing great in NCAA tourement, but i see a lot of times that opposing center just dribble past him with ease let alone the wing players.
he is an interesting prospect for sure. like i said, he would be a top 3 pick back in the 2000s (see Yao).

At this point he is gonna be a top 20 pick at least
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject:

With the 17th pick in the 2024 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Bronny James from the University of Southern California! lol

https://sports.yahoo.com/bronny-james-declares-nba-draft-enters-transfer-portal-after-1-season-at-usc-150509089.html
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject:

With the 55th pick maybe
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
With the 17th pick in the 2024 NBA Draft, the Los Angeles Lakers select...Bronny James from the University of Southern California! lol

https://sports.yahoo.com/bronny-james-declares-nba-draft-enters-transfer-portal-after-1-season-at-usc-150509089.html

It’s not going to happen
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
With the 55th pick maybe

Not even that, would lebron really want his son to be drafted because of his presence? Getting drafted means more pressure. Lakers can look to give him a 2 way deal or summer league invite. Bronny is just not that good of a basketball player and he clearly don’t need money(his NIL deal this season alone is 5-8 mil), he would make much more money going back to school
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

would lebron really want his son to be drafted because of his presence?

I think we all (should) know the answer to that is 100% yes.

He's been dreaming of this likely since the day Bronny was born. It's now an actual possibility and he's not going to want to make it happen?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

would lebron really want his son to be drafted because of his presence?

I think we all (should) know the answer to that is 100% yes.

He's been dreaming of this likely since the day Bronny was born. It's now an actual possibility and he's not going to want to make it happen?

He can easily make it happen if he asks Jeanie to sign him to a 2 way deal. Nobody is going to draft bronny at this point. Lebron wants to play with his son, but I think he realizes that bronny is not close to an NBA level player now (probably further than Liangelo ball), force lakers or any other team to draft him will be negative press. 2 way at the lakers means he can easily play with his son to make the history he wanted
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

His solution is switching? Is it bro? Is it really? ...we run drop most of the time. If anything we don't switch enough given how switchable Jaxson Hayes is (we're switching more now). In addition to AD obviously.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LeBron speaking highly of Edey lately.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

2-way Eddy and Castleton, develop them into Zubacs, min salary Maxwell, let him be the third stringer, Max’s back up, Cam’s role. Give Mays 2-way to Bronny and we good (no need for Mays if we can keep both Dinwiddie and Gabe)
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
MJST wrote:

2-way Eddy and Castleton, develop them into Zubacs, min salary Maxwell, let him be the third stringer, Max’s back up, Cam’s role. Give Mays 2-way to Bronny and we good (no need for Mays if we can keep both Dinwiddie and Gabe)

lol if you think Edey isnt gonna be drafted.

When he shows out in the final four and the championship game, dude is gonna probably be projected as a top 20 pick at least.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Still think grant nelson is someone lakers should target. excited to watch him play tn
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject:

First time watching Edey. This dude is painfully slow. Hate to make snap judgments but it's difficult to see him being effective with the breakneck pace of the NBA.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

His solution is switching? Is it bro? Is it really? ...we run drop most of the time. If anything we don't switch enough given how switchable Jaxson Hayes is (we're switching more now). In addition to AD obviously.

Lakers switch everything, just watch the game, not hard to tell. We give up a ton of wide open 3s to the weak shoooter when we have to double the ball handler.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
First time watching Edey. This dude is painfully slow. Hate to make snap judgments but it's difficult to see him being effective with the breakneck pace of the NBA.

Same way Jokic does. Being unstoppable inside and opening up three point shooters because of it.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
manlisten wrote:

Same way Jokic does. Being unstoppable inside and opening up three point shooters because of it.

Jokic has slow feet. Edey has slow feet, hands, decision making, post moves. Like I said just a snap judgment but I don't think he'll be effective on the NBA level. I'd also expect Purdue to lose the championship game.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Underestimate his post game and hook shot if you want to, nobody can stop it

20/12 in Final Four

Want him on an NBA regimen and working with Phil Handy.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject:

clingan ranked #3, edey #13 by espn's givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/38788364/2024-nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-25-prospects
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
clingan ranked #3, edey #13 by espn's givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/38788364/2024-nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-25-prospects

Clingan is another solid one. But I doubt he falls to us.

The matchup between him and Edey will be a telling one.

Clingan is more a Mitchell Robinson, Jaxson Hayes, Deandre Jordan type of center, he'll be best utilized in the pick and roll and on defense, but isn't drawing much defensive attention. Athletic guy, threat off the pick and roll, solid defensive upside. We've seen those types come into the NBA and it's a coin toss if they find their niche and it always depends on what team drafts them. You can fall anywhere from Deandre Jordan to Mitchell Robinson all the way down to Willie Cauley Stein, but the ceiling you WANT is a Dwight Howard type. But that's very rare. Bigs like Edey however with his kind of upside especially unstoppableness inside the paint in addition to his defensive upside are the kind of things that aren't normal and don't come along often and maybe the rest of the NBA hasn't figured it out yet, but big man dominance is making a comeback and taking more advantage of the three point shooting craze. Imagine if Shaq was surrounded by 4 guys that shot 40%+ from three on high volume. Yeah..

Maybe the NBA hasn't figured it out yet, but dominant big men that draw gravity and can pass out of the post + the three point craze is going to be the next step of "Can you stop this?" offense in the league. Because of bigs like Jokic, Embiid and Towns.

I'm glad they keep underrating Edey though, better chance he falls to us.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject:

The swap will be next year because the Pels will have a worse record.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Edey possible for us?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Edey doing something only Kareem and Walton have done in a Championship game

Edey had 37/10 and 2 blocks and Clingan had 11/5 with 2 block and 4 fouls.

Levels. But like I said... keep underrating Edey.. better chance he'll fall to us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: