Can the Lakers reach the Top 6 and avoid the Play-In Tournament?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can the Lakers reach the Top 6 and avoid the Play-In Tournament?
Yes.
33%
 33%  [ 28 ]
No, but finish #7/#8 (top of the bracket).
31%
 31%  [ 26 ]
No, they'll finish at #9 where they sit today.
34%
 34%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 83

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

At least they qualified for the play-in, the team that won the inaugural in-season tournament, if they don't make the post-season then it would trivialize that in-season achievement.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
At least they qualified for the play-in, the team that won the inaugural in-season tournament, if they don't make the post-season then it would trivialize that in-season achievement.

To each his own opinion. The IST achievement does not capture my attention.

Picking some arbitrary early season games to hype for ratings. Perhaps the Lakers best performance of the year against Pacers does not even count in the standings or stats. Hard for me to gather any enthusiasm concerning it.

There were other achievements throughout the season that were much more impressive. Sustained win streaks like Houston or the Celtics home win streak as a couple examples among many. Although I hate to give the Celts credit for anything. lol

I continue to hope the Laker team can be “ that surprise story” that overachieves and makes a run. Just not seeing it. Hope I’m wrong.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

3-9 after that IST cost us the season. also the time Cam reddish and TP were playing 55 minutes per game...
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

The IST is going to be a cancer for years to come. There's always going to be a subset of teams who play for the $$$$ and burn themselves out or risk injury in the process. Imagine going all out for something that has zero significance. The season is a marathon, not a race, and the Lakers treated it like a race and screwed themselves, while teams like Denver or Minny saw it as another game.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

The IST is going to be a cancer for years to come. There's always going to be a subset of teams who play for the $$$$ and burn themselves out or risk injury in the process. Imagine going all out for something that has zero significance. The season is a marathon, not a race, and the Lakers treated it like a race and screwed themselves, while teams like Denver or Minny saw it as another game.

What? 500k and 1 extra game. If playing hard burns them out before Xmas that’s on them. Had they burned themselves out more maybe we are in the 4,5,6 spot. I’m sure Jaxson Hayes and the like loved 500k
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

What? 500k and 1 extra game. If playing hard burns them out before Xmas that’s on them. Had they burned themselves out more maybe we are in the 4,5,6 spot. I’m sure Jaxson Hayes and the like loved 500k

One adjustment they should make is that, the winner of IST should have an option to replace a loss on their regular season standing for playing/winning an extra game.

The reward for the losing team is that the IST loss does not count on their record.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

500k is no longer the 500k of old. Taxes and inflation make that money relatively insignificant for high profile athletes. Sure, it may benefit DoorDash workers like Matt Ryan, but teams are failing to see the bigger picture. Lebron and AD went balls out, only for the team to burn out afterwards.

In theory, IST would work better if the tournament wasn't in Vegas. The team with the better record should play at home. The off court distractions in Vegas are just too much to overcome for certain players *cough* Zion *cough*
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

500k is no longer the 500k of old. Taxes and inflation make that money relatively insignificant for high profile athletes. Sure, it may benefit DoorDash workers like Matt Ryan, but teams are failing to see the bigger picture. Lebron and AD went balls out, only for the team to burn out afterwards.

In theory, IST would work better if the tournament wasn't in Vegas. The team with the better record should play at home. The off court distractions in Vegas are just too much to overcome for certain players *cough* Zion *cough*

Whether 500k is a lot or not it seemed to be a driving force during the time. If bron and ad burned themselves out before Xmas that would be comical and yet another excuse for a team that has zero accountability. It wasn’t like we went through a gauntlet. We have played a ton of no effort, lazy games since. More than enough to make up for the effort we exerted. Back to the money. You can never have too much and I would never tell anyone outside of my walls how to spend it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Nah, the Lakers, especially Ham, treated the season like a marathon. There was always more time to make things up. Lebron shows up to the all-star then sits out the GS game right after break, that was a crazy important game. But don't worry, we have more time. Straight from Ham's mouth too. Who spent several months tinkering with journeymen line-ups, before finally settling on last year's starters. LOL!

BTW, we used to play 8 preseason games. So year, we now have one more IST game, but 2 less preseason games. Sure, they're not the same intensity, but still...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
All this discussions about the possibility of moving up to 8/7 seems like fan fantasy, there is a good chance the Lakers decide to shut down either AD or LeBron in the next 2 games, we have to start living with the reality that the Lakers will have to win 2 games in the play in to make the playoffs

There are so many scenarios that can play out where the Lakers move up. It's not like those teams are playing scrubs. I mean Kings are playing Pelicans right now, they have to beat up each other. Lakers need to win out and take advantage of where the chips fall. If you move up, you have 2 shots to win 1 game. If you rest AD and Bron now, might as well book some flights to Cancun. They are NOT winning 2 of 2 play-in games, especially on the road for both.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject:

not surviving the play-in means Ham will get sacked. Might be better.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Since Kings will lose, we want them to lose again to Suns. We want the Pelicans to beat Warriors but lose to us.

If those 2 scenarios play out, I believe GS and Kings will have to duke it out at the 9 and 10. Even better yet, if Suns win out, beat both the Kings and Wolves, they will move up to 6, and we get Pelicans at the 7 and 8 spot. We visit them, but we stand a better chance against them than Suns.
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject:

my prediction for final games

Pelicans lose to gsw and win vs lakers
Suns lose vs kings but win vs Wolves because wolves win vs hawks , looks like they have the tiebreaker vs okc (Thunder split last 2 games) so starters won’t play the final game or limited mins (Denver most likely beat last 2 sucky teams even if starters don’t play vs Memphis lol)
Kings win last 2 games
Warriors win last 2 games
Lakers W vs mem and L vs pels
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Since Kings will lose, we want them to lose again to Suns. We want the Pelicans to beat Warriors but lose to us.

If those 2 scenarios play out, I believe GS and Kings will have to duke it out at the 9 and 10. Even better yet, if Suns win out, beat both the Kings and Wolves, they will move up to 6, and we get Pelicans at the 7 and 8 spot. We visit them, but we stand a better chance against them than Suns.

I would love to see GS and Sac at 9 and 10 duking it out to face Denver in 1st round. Those 2 might make Denver sweat maybe not Sac (due to Monk being out until WCF).
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:20 am    Post subject:

We're definitely beating Memphis who look done for the season, getting 46 wins minimum. These play in scenarios are insane. Don't recall so many 45+ win teams in the play ins, the last few years. This is a lot like the Gasol/Kobe/Odom/Bynum/Fish era Lakers were there were so many 45+ win teams in the West.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Nah, the Lakers, especially Ham, treated the season like a marathon. There was always more time to make things up. Lebron shows up to the all-star then sits out the GS game right after break, that was a crazy important game. But don't worry, we have more time. Straight from Ham's mouth too. Who spent several months tinkering with journeymen line-ups, before finally settling on last year's starters. LOL!

BTW, we used to play 8 preseason games. So year, we now have one more IST game, but 2 less preseason games. Sure, they're not the same intensity, but still...

Lebron load managing is ok. He's shown his career longevity is insane, and if you get 50 all-star level games from him, that's insane. I still feel he's 100% worth the value he brings in terms of being a FA max investment. AD is borderline, but overall with his health this season, he's also been 100% a good investment.

The real ??? for our team is whether Rui/DLO/Reaves are greater as a net group making 50M vs other role guys or a 3rd star, and if the head coach managed this team well. The way this team has played since Ham allowd the 5 best players to play together shows they should be better than they end up being in terms of seeding. Despite that, I'm still not sold the core of this team is up there with the best in the league. However for sure, even the facts and stats prove, that when the 5 best players play together, this is a top 4-5 team in the West with good team chemistry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:35 am    Post subject:

If Phx, Sac, GS, LA all finish 47-35, then Lakers are in 9/10.

For Lakers to get out of 9/10 game, they need this to happen:

Lakers win both @Mem and @NO.
AND Sac loses either PHX/PORT
AND GS loses either NO/Utah
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Whether 500k is a lot or not it seemed to be a driving force during the time. If bron and ad burned themselves out before Xmas that would be comical and yet another excuse for a team that has zero accountability. It wasn’t like we went through a gauntlet. We have played a ton of no effort, lazy games since. More than enough to make up for the effort we exerted. Back to the money. You can never have too much and I would never tell anyone outside of my walls how to spend it.

The IST was fine, winning it was good. The banner raising killed it, we gonna be roasted if we don’t win the chip this season, 8th seed or 10th seed
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
If Phx, Sac, GS, LA all finish 47-35, then Lakers are in 9/10.

For Lakers to get out of 9/10 game, they need this to happen:

Lakers win both @Mem and @NO.
AND Sac loses either PHX/PORT
AND GS loses either NO/Utah

Can we still get to 7th?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject:

Chuck: the IST was a severance package to the lakers from adam silver.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject:

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

He's a Laker Hater from head to toe.
He didn't think we could win in 2020.
He didn't think we'd make it as far as we did last playoffs.

Although I agree winning the IST means nothing in regards to winning a chip.

Chuck isn't someone to listen to when it comes to projecting our franchise's future success (or failure).
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:

He's a Laker Hater from head to toe.
He didn't think we could win in 2020.
He didn't think we'd make it as far as we did last playoffs.

Although I agree winning the IST means nothing in regards to winning a chip.

Chuck isn't someone to listen to when it comes to projecting our franchise's future success (or failure).

regardless. Chuck on that show is funny IMHO. Who cares if he is a hater. Better than being an overzealous lover of the team. that's our job.

The "I wouldn't want to play the lakers" or "I would try to avoid the Lakers.( insert team)" is equally funny.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

Chuck is turning into the "old man yells at cloud" meme. Bitter, unlikeable and extremely ignorant. He just doesn't know it yet. It's a shame because I used to enjoy his banter 10-12 years ago.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Lakers finish 19-9 in that final stretch and in the top of the playoff bracket.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23
Jump to: