Details: How Darvin Ham lost the Locker Room (plus info about Rob Pelinka & Jeanie Buss)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Details: How Darvin Ham lost the Locker Room (plus info about Rob Pelinka & Jeanie Buss)

Summary:

Quote:
1. Many inside the Lakers believe that simply firing Darvin Ham would turn the season around. But not the case with Rob Pelinka and Jeanie Buss.

2. Taurean Prince was never promised a starting role before signing with the team; many inside Lakers say it's all Ham's decision and they don't understand the reason behind giving Prince a lot more minutes than any other role players. They're asking, "what else could be going on there?"

3. The Core 6 guys from last year (LeBron James, Anthony Davis, D'Angelo Russell, Austin Reaves, Jarred Vanderbilt, Rui Hachimura) have felt they were not given enough time and opportunity to work together again like last year. "It's not like they don't like Prince, it's just the main Core (wasn't given proper time)."

4. Reaves being benched was the starting point of the Locker Room disconnect: When Reaves was benched they were taken aback by how quickly Ham moved away from them as a combination. Russell and Reaves are close that when Reaves was inserted back into the starting lineup just recently, you see the light come back to them. Unfortunately, they're also playing with Prince and there isn't a great defender between the 3 of them which is why the defense has failed.

5. One constant criticism within the Lakers levied to Ham is that he's very close-minded by the type of role player he wants. He tries to pigeon-hole players into roles even if they're not that type of player. Whatever reason this year, you had players slotted into spots that they don't feel they're equipped to fill, and it's being held against them when they don't fill those roles.

6. Ham's communication with the player all season has not where it needs to be. Open door policy is not really a thing, but Ham should "open his door occasionally when Austin is knocking on it. You can't keep hiding under your desk". Ham hasn't been very available to his players, not even to the Core guys that help the Lakers get to the WCF.

7. Some players feel like they work for a manager (Ham) who's Dad (Pelinka) or Mom (Buss) is the boss and there is no accountability above them, and it's always they're fault when the Lakers fall short - that the blame falls on the players and never on the manager (Ham). It's not a healthy relationship that exists in the locker room. It's like a pipe burst.

8. There are people in the organization that don't understand what is going on between Ham and Reaves, but now they're also noticing the same thing is happening between Ham and Hachimura, and also between Ham and Vanderbilt.

9. Ham right now feels "comfortable", he has this feeling that he's "untouchable" that the amount of trust and confidence Pelinka and Buss gave to him has gone to his head.

10. When communication breaks off, you see it kind of volatile when there are clips on twitter with guys rolling their eyes while Ham tries to coach them. You watch any timeout right now and it's never 5 guys that Ham is talking to. You don't reach it this visibily broken without a foundational change to one of the parties. The amount of trust and confidence that he feels from Pelinka and Buss, whatever those things might be, Ham has legitimately changed as a head coach.

11. Players are now tweeting (Christian Wood, LeBron James) or just talking post game that they have no idea what they're doing.

12. Shams Charnia's reporting with Jovan Buha earlier this month (about the disconnect between Ham and the Locker Room) there was 6 sources! And those were only the 6 sources who were willing to come out and say those things on their report. But there are plenty of more sources beyond that.

13. There's a large contingent of people in the Lakers locker room and in the organization pissed off at Ham, which means that Ham has failed as a communicator.

14. Reaves has been used incorrectly this year, and he's a better player that he actually is, and while Lakers don't want to trade him, they might come off that stance maybe not specifically for Dejountay Murray but for some other team's untouchable.

15. In this portion of the season, it's difficult to separate what trades could the Lakers do if they have a head coach that has lost the locker room.

16. Lakers are risking this season being a lost season and Lakers are risking James walking away, all for keeping what seems to be "an outright bad head coach."

17. A lot of the blame especially with Ham should fall on Rob Pelinka for what he's done with their head coaching hires i.e. hiring Ham who has no head coach experience, same mistake with Luke Walton, or not hiring an experienced head coach to put on Ham's staff like they did bringing in Jason Kidd, Lionel Hollins, or David Fizdale when they hired Frank Vogel who was an experienced head coach and won you a championship, but was sabotaged with a bad roster then fired and embarrassed on his way out, while giving him a fake extension that's why he's not being paid now. If Ham had an experienced head coach on his staff, he would've pulled Ham aside and tell him, "hey, you're going to talk (to your guys) about the different roles you want them to play, right?"

18. On Jeanie Buss, on what process goes into the decisions she makes that has a trickle down effect on the rest of the organization, and she hasn't made a decisions with a good process that is respected (aka she just hires "friends"). There was no interview process for Magic Johnson, there was no interview process to replace Magic, no interview process for Rob Pelinka. She paired Magic and Pelinka who both have no experience with their jobs. If Pelinka gets fired, who's to say she won't just bring in Kurt Rambis and give him a chance.

19. There are people in the organization biding their time in the process hoping that Jesse and Joey Buss gets a shot. They see what Jeanie is doing and they want to see Jeanie detached from any basketball activity whatsoever and just have Jesse and Joey run them because they have utilized good process in running the South Bay Lakers. And it's heading there sooner rather than people realize. We will start hearing more about Jesse and Joey and that noise will get louder and louder.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Yeesh, no bueno
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject:

All things I have said. It starts at the top with Jeanie. Continues to run the team like a mom and pop shop, and absolutely does not want to pay an employee like Ham to sit at home. Would rather throw away another season of Lebron and AD because she is too cheap to can Ham.

This is why all these trade scenarios are useless. Doesn’t matter who we bring in as long as this buffoon is running the team.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Jeannie only hires friends, shocking. like many of us stated over and over, the core of all the problems resides with Jeannie Buss. an overly sensitive daddy's girl only hire friends because they will not voice any negative comments toward her in public.

if Jeannie gets pushed out and Jessie and Joey take over the team, she will be on full revenge tour just like she did with Jim Buss a decade ago, going onto every media outlet to sabotage the franchise's every move.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
All things I have said. It starts at the top with Jeanie. Continues to run the team like a mom and pop shop, and absolutely does not want to pay an employee like Ham to sit at home. Would rather throw away another season of Lebron and AD because she is too cheap to can Ham.

This is why all these trade scenarios are useless. Doesn’t matter who we bring in as long as this buffoon is running the team.

completely agreed. just imagine would could've been if Jeannie act like a real big market NBA owner for once, and opened that checkbook for Ty Lue couple years ago, things would be drastically different now.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

How much credibility does Irwin have as an 'insider' ? A lot of his tweets and 'reporting' kind of just seems like echoing fans sentiments and relabeled as "sources inside the Lakers" which proves to be good engagement bait on social media and views for his podcast because it's just giving confirmation to fans opinions.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie is an idiot and is totally disconnected to doing the right thing for the Los Angeles Lakers brand and team.
You can't convince me that she has a clue about the day to day like her father did. She has no clue.

Linda and Kurt Rambis are also idiots - What do they know about the current NBA. We have no FO staff that are progressive in thinking and operate the organization like it should be run. This is a multibillionaire dollar franchise and it is run like a high school program.

Ham is a perfect example of that. Low cost, low return, no experience head coach for a Lebron/Davis and company team.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
How much credibility does Irwin have as an 'insider' ? A lot of his tweets and 'reporting' kind of just seems like echoing fans sentiments and relabeled as "sources inside the Lakers" which proves to be good engagement bait on social media and views for his podcast because it's just giving confirmation to fans opinions.

Historically? None. He seems to have made a connection this year however. He broke the locker room stuff and also the specifics of the DM/Dlo trade before Jovan/Shams.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject:

lol. Just a message board poster with a platform. I always love the “insider” claim. Our players are soft. None have ever been held accountable. And when adversity hits they point the finger.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Jeanie is an idiot and is totally disconnected to doing the right thing for the Los Angeles Lakers brand and team.
You can't convince me that she has a clue about the day to day like her father did. She has no clue.

Linda and Kurt Rambis are also idiots - What do they know about the current NBA. We have no FO staff that are progressive in thinking and operate the organization like it should be run. This is a multibillionaire dollar franchise and it is run like a high school program.

Ham is a perfect example of that. Low cost, low return, no experience head coach for a Lebron/Davis and company team.

Dr. Buss was a trend setter, unfortunately his daughter is someone who always reminiscent the good old time, she never trying to learn how the modern day NBA works. to Jeannie Buss, as long as she pays LeBron and AD, the other personnel don't matter, because Lakers has always been a star driven league. but she forgot the main star is 39 year old, and his co-star is a mental midget.

as for the Rambis couple, they're not stupid at all. on the contrary, they're smart enough to know as long as they say the things Jeannie wants to hear, they'll be in the core of Lakers management team, even though both of them are more suitable as your neighborhood real estate agents.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I remember Hams presser. I think I called him a low IQ, full of hot air charlatan then. I thought I had made a mistake after last years run to the WCF and it looks like it was done despite Ham and not because of him. This year it’s been clear that he’s a fraud. A dumb fraud never the less.

Jeanie exudes stupid. All interviews with her scream dumb bimbo. She says zero intelligent things. Refers to her father “dad” like she’s some sort of school girl and looks to blame toxic masculinity and mesogism for any criticism against her. Fact is she’s dumb, plain old dumb.

Rob, I can’t read to be honest. The stories he was spewing early on were cheesy, hiding behind “consensus” early on was the mark of a coward and not a leader. The RW trade was an unmitigated disaster. Even if he was pushed into it, that is also more proof of his cowardly behavior. I thought he pivoted very nicely last year and the original pivot from KL was also really nice. Not sure how much was him or how much was luck to be honest so I’m not sure.

Lakers need to fire Ham. That much is very very clear. This team is underachieving but a mile. Say what you will but our role players are GOOD! Dlo has been an all star before, yes as an injury replacement but never the less he’s above average. AR looked great in World Cup playing alongside a lot of talent! Rui is a good basketball player. Vando is a good hustle player. Even TP is good in an appropriate role. AD/Bron have been healthy. It’s not hard to see it. Ham has the team underperforming like crazy. He’s got to go. Lakers leadership not firing him, also have to go.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I'd give Jesse and Joey a try if they have exp running the South Bay Lakers. But it all comes down to Jeanie, imo. If she doesn't want to relinquish her position, I don't think it's possible to force her out. If I know Jeanie, she can be very stubborn. Maybe Jay could persuade her. Dysfuctional family all over again.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
I remember Hams presser. I think I called him a low IQ, full of hot air charlatan then. I thought I had made a mistake after last years run to the WCF and it looks like it was done despite Ham and not because of him. This year it’s been clear that he’s a fraud. A dumb fraud never the less.

Jeanie exudes stupid. All interviews with her scream dumb bimbo. She says zero intelligent things. Refers to her father “dad” like she’s some sort of school girl and looks to blame toxic masculinity and mesogism for any criticism against her. Fact is she’s dumb, plain old dumb.

Rob, I can’t read to be honest. The stories he was spewing early on were cheesy, hiding behind “consensus” early on was the mark of a coward and not a leader. The RW trade was an unmitigated disaster. Even if he was pushed into it, that is also more proof of his cowardly behavior. I thought he pivoted very nicely last year and the original pivot from KL was also really nice. Not sure how much was him or how much was luck to be honest so I’m not sure.

Lakers need to fire Ham. That much is very very clear. This team is underachieving but a mile. Say what you will but our role players are GOOD! Dlo has been an all star before, yes as an injury replacement but never the less he’s above average. AR looked great in World Cup playing alongside a lot of talent! Rui is a good basketball player. Vando is a good hustle player. Even TP is good in an appropriate role. AD/Bron have been healthy. It’s not hard to see it. Ham has the team underperforming like crazy. He’s got to go. Lakers leadership not firing him, also have to go.

Ive called Darvin a 2 digit IQ meathead but I will admit the tactical adjustments game to game throughout the playoffs last year were Vogel-esque. Really made me question whether I was wrong about Ham. But all the mistakes he is making this year.....like you said maybe it was an assistant coach/coaches or Bron/AD themselves making these adjustments last year. He is getting basic (bleep) wrong this year that honestly I feel more comfortable having someone like MJST or hell half the people on here coach the Lakers than Ham. Thats when you know its bad. For example, I would never want a poster to GM the Dodgers over Andrew Friedman because I know Friedman is excellent at his job. Rob Pelinka, I can tell is a shrewd dude who has made some mistakes but some good decisions and he can learn. Hamster needs to go.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject:

we seen this movie before havent we?

let the season go to trash...Fire the coach in the offseason and save his own ass...Rob Pelinka is a grade 1 snake.

Jeanie is not a serious person like bucks ownership. Fire Griffin when they were clearly top 2 teams in east

now the lakers are just a clown show and a joke
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Rob has shown that he can make moves when he has to.

Something is going to happen with the roster. Whether that’s Murray or someone else.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

Something is going to happen with the roster. Whether that’s Murray or someone else.

Coach is the problem here...not player like Westbrook
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Details: How Darvin Ham lost the Locker Room (plus info about Rob Pelinka & Jeanie Buss)

Jordan-esque wrote:
17. A lot of the blame especially with Ham should fall on Rob Pelinka for what he's done with their head coaching hires i.e. hiring Ham who has no head coach experience, same mistake with Luke Walton

Great post.

But they are dumb for saying the above excerpt.

Luke was hired in April 2016.

Rob was hired in 2017.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

He may be A problem, but THE problem is the roster. The Lakers made investments in Reaves, Rui, Gabe, Prince & Vando. None of them have paid off so far. It's not misuse - they disappeared.

I expected Reaves & Rui, in particular, to make next level jumps. Not All Star level, but consistent NBA-starter-on-a-good-team level. That hasn't been there.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

He may be A problem, but THE problem is the roster. The Lakers made investments in Reaves, Rui, Gabe, Prince & Vando. None of them have paid off so far. It's not misuse - they disappeared.

I expected Reaves & Rui, in particular, to make next level jumps. Not All Star level, but consistent NBA-starter-on-a-good-team level. That hasn't been there.

As a player you needs mins and not get yanked at the 1st mistake you do.

wonder where Rui and Raves would be if they got consistent mins like Prince and Cam to an extent.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I'd give Jesse and Joey a try if they have exp running the South Bay Lakers. But it all comes down to Jeanie, imo. If she doesn't want to relinquish her position, I don't think it's possible to force her out. If I know Jeanie, she can be very stubborn. Maybe Jay could persuade her. Dysfuctional family all over again.

They have vote sessions.

I don't know how the procedure goes with their business, but some firms and businesses can call for an emergency vote if they feel the operating manager isn't benefitting the team.

They can vote out the operating manager and replace them, with who has the most votes.
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Lol

So it's not that the coach has literally not used them in ways to actually highlight their strengths? It's not that they're not used in the ways they were used that were successful last year? I mean maybe you don't watch the games but it's not a player issue.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Rui is averaging 49.8FG% and 39.2 from 3.

He’s playing less than23 minutes a game.

Perhaps he isn’t a starter on a good team. Sure would be nice to find out, especially with the likes of Prince getting ahead of him.

Regression to me would be if Rui wasn’t shooting the ball well. His shooting well, he’s doing his job. He just doesn’t get minutes. We should have gone with Vando/Rui at all times next to AD/Bron. Vando and Rui should be even getting the backup minutes at the 4/5.

I buy in that we miss Dennis due to Gabe being a bust so far. But, our front line is one of the best in the NBA being completely misused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Lol

So it's not that the coach has literally not used them in ways to actually highlight their strengths? It's not that they're not used in the ways they were used that were successful last year? I mean maybe you don't watch the games but it's not a player issue.

reddish has been a bust with better coaches.

hayes is not a good NBA player with better coaches

Wood : Jason Kidd a better coach didnt want him + "every coach he has seems to be very eager to move on from him." Lowe podcast

Prince: hes ok I guess.

Yes we need a better coach. Not just a different coach but our roster is not deep with talent and has some slugs that we need to over-perform.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

Lol

Rui and Vando are 8th and 9th in average minutes played for the Lakers this year. Rob gave them $99 mil in combined extensions. It’s time he stepped in because this is ridiculous.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject:

just a conspiracy theory, maybe Ham is sabotaging the season from order above. maybe the Buss family is sick and tired of LeBron and Klutch, but they don't have the balls to trade him. so let's frustrate him as much as possible to the point he demands a trade, or just signs with another team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: