(Vet min) CHRISTIAN WOOD a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
The new Marcus Banks

Wood goes from zero defense to being a doberman
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
The new Marcus Banks

Been a while since I heard someone use doberman. Those were the days.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Doberman was a term used to describe Deron Williams by the famous LG poster Sky back in the day
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Doberman was a term used to describe Deron Williams by the famous LG poster Sky back in the day

Lol. You are confusing that with Dough Boy.
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

You mean Marcus Banks...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

"Famous LG poster"? It's a disturbing thought that posting on LG could make you famous.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

"Famous LG poster"? It's a disturbing thought that posting on LG could make you famous.

Out here in these streets, we all know the great LG poster Aeneas Hunter

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Out here in these streets, we all know the great LG poster Aeneas Hunter

Yikes. Those must be some really sad streets. I'd get out of that zip code.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject:

Good ish Aeneas Hunter and Defense, I got a good kick out of the hilarious exchange between you guys
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject:

*L.A. Lakers now look set to 'miss out' on Christian Wood

https://www.givemesport.com/la-lakers-trade-rumours-christian-wood-miss-out/

https://www.13newsnow.com/video/sports/locked-on/lo-la/lakers-show/do-lakers-players-not-want-christian-wood-and-whos-the-best-fifth-starter-rui-vando-prince/535-183cda51-0857-42c7-a044-9b1c3f2b4368

*3 floor-spacing centers the Lakers could sign instead of Christian Wood
Markieff Morris, JaMychal Green, Gorgui Dieng

https://lakeshowlife.com/2023/07/25/lakers-free-agency-floor-spacing-center-christian-wood/
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Lol. You are confusing that with Dough Boy.

What is hilarious is that Sky used the term Dough Boy to denigrate D-Will in favor of Raymond Felton of all people, who literally turned into a Dough Boy.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Twenty-something years ago, Sky wrote the Lakers column for the now defunct BSKBALL.COM before quitting and being replaced by emplay. He had great, insightful takes and insider-ish knowledge. Supposedly, there were some insider-only rooms here at Lzg where he lurked for a while (maybe there still are, I'm not an insider). The board was much richer because of his contributions.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Twenty-something years ago, Sky wrote the Lakers column for the now defunct BSKBALL.COM before quitting and being replaced by emplay. He had great, insightful takes and insider-ish knowledge. Supposedly, there were some insider-only rooms here at Lzg where he lurked for a while (maybe there still are, I'm not an insider). The board was much richer because of his contributions.

Oh, I remember him. I remember that he left in a huff over something. I think he came back briefly, then left again. I don't remember much about his posts all these years later. I recall that some people regarded him highly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Sky didn’t like the idea of threads based on topics. He favored a free flowing exchange of ideas in one general thread. He actually started his own site using that format, I’m not sure how long it lasted.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I just aged 20 years reading the above exchange
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Hah! Good old days. Sky and his Jim Jackson rumors and his super angry rants about being a beat writer and getting no juice and his Marcus I forget who being a Doberman. Just like the glove teaching Kobe how to be a Doberman. I use to think that cat was soooo legit. Then he disappeared from the face of the earth. Hope he’s alright. Dude made me feel important in my late early 20s coming on here and then later on sharing that with others who didn’t really do the “online” thing. ROFL
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sky didn’t like the idea of threads based on topics. He favored a free flowing exchange of ideas in one general thread. He actually started his own site using that format, I’m not sure how long it lasted.

Must have been a bad idea, but it might be why you say the same thing in each topic based thread
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Cranjis breakdown of Wood:

https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1684171553301209090

He’s basically a millionaire’s man’s Thomas Bryant on both offense & defense.

If we can get that for the min, Lakers should take it.

This was a good listen as always by Cranijis

Basically a lot of narratives being ran with about Wood. Multiple things can be true as I always say

1. Wood was bad on defense last season while still being one of the best offensive bigs
2. Wood defensive numbers has been average outside of last year since 2020
3. Wood on this team would be in the conversation with DLO/Reaves/Rui for being the 3rd best player on this team, and numbers say he would be the 3rd best offensive player easily based off last season
4. Wood at the VM is such a low risk high reward move.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
3. Wood on this team would be in the conversation with DLO/Reaves/Rui for being the 3rd best player on this team, and numbers say he would be the 3rd best offensive player easily based off last season

If this was true, then Wood would not have played for seven different teams in seven seasons, would not be unsigned, and would not be fishing for an offer greater than the minimum. The problem with Wood isn't about the stats. The metrics say that he is above replacement level and maybe even slightly above average. The problem is that he seems to be fool's gold. In other words, he's more trouble than he's worth.

I wouldn't be against it if we signed him for the minimum, but team culture matters over the course of a season and in the playoffs.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

If this was true, then Wood would not have played for seven different teams in seven seasons, would not be unsigned, and would not be fishing for an offer greater than the minimum. The problem with Wood isn't about the stats. The metrics say that he is above replacement level and maybe even slightly above average. The problem is that he seems to be fool's gold. In other words, he's more trouble than he's worth.

I wouldn't be against it if we signed him for the minimum, but team culture matters over the course of a season and in the playoffs.

I believe that's more of running with the narrative as was discussed in the podcost.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I believe that's more of running with the narrative as was discussed in the podcost.

I didn't listen to the podcast, but that sounds like a deflection. Sometimes, you need to listen to the "narrative." This narrative didn't just materialize out of the ether. The narrative is now sufficiently widespread that no one is offering Wood a substantial contract.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject:

Undrafted players bounce around.

Gary Payton ll has bonced around 6 times in 7 years also. Not attempting to make him out to be this perfect teammate but I think Wood is a case where the narrative has unfairly overshadowed his worth as a player and that podcast fairly addresses that.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
The new Marcus Banks

I HATE the "min/max" attitude here - guys are either elite or absolute trash, with no in-between.

The reality is that most players have "situational" impact. If they're on the right team with the right role and the right system, they flourish. If one of those three factors changes, their impact drops.

Maybe 5% of the league has consistent, elite level play (call it 20-25 guys). Another 20-25 guys will generally play well, regardless of the situation. The other 90% are a crapshoot. That's where coaching and talent evaluation comes in - getting guys in your system who can flourish in the team's environment.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Cranjis breakdown of Wood:

https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1684171553301209090

He’s basically a millionaire’s man’s Thomas Bryant on both offense & defense.

If we can get that for the min, Lakers should take it.

This was a good listen as always by Cranijis

Basically a lot of narratives being ran with about Wood. Multiple things can be true as I always say

1. Wood was bad on defense last season while still being one of the best offensive bigs
2. Wood defensive numbers has been average outside of last year since 2020
4. Wood at the VM is such a low risk high reward move.

What I "inferred" from the podcast is that a current Lakers player "with juice" is blackballing Wood.

AD and Wood were teammates briefly in NOLA . . .

IJS.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject:

I don't know if I buy the AD not wanting Wood theory.

I could see the Dudley/Kidd connection to the Lakers playing a part of that rumor. Regardless for the VM, I'm all in for Wood.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 3 of 41
Jump to: