17th Pick: JALEN HOOD SCHIFINO is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Welcome FINO!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

epic_ wrote:
I think Lakers fans will love his 6' 10.25" wing span.
I think he's a Dennis replacement.

Absolutely. I was saying months ago that if the Lakers draft a point guard, Schroder is gone 100%.

Which I’m totally okay with. Schroder is way too inconsistent on offense and he’s too short to play real defense like Murray on the Nuggets.
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

Nash Vegas wrote:
Dlo lite?

If DLo was built like him. If break the bank to bring back DLo
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Dlo lite?

If DLo was built like him. If break the bank to bring back DLo

What point are you making here? Not being a smart ass, rather, are you saying we should break the bank for Dlo ... you like this pick ... you don't like this pick?

???
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Great pick! Welcome to the squad
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject:

Rooting for the kid. Do your magic, Handy
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Didn't think he would be there for us. Nice.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers had a need for a defensive power guard. He wasn’t on my list of guys I was excited about but if he improves his C&S jumper he is going to be a very good player.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm so excited!!!
HisAirness24
Star Player
Star Player

His form kinda reminds me of Kyrie's. Just mechanics alone. I think he'll be fine from the outside personally.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

Some pre-drafts reviews of our newest addition:

2023 Draft Profile - Jalen Hood-Schifino
Jonathan Wasserman - Bleacher Report - June 21st: "We’re hearing there has been a significant buildup of buzz on him during workout season, to the point where rival agents don’t anticipate him being on the board outside the lottery."

Gary Parrish - CBS Sports - June 20th: "Hood-Schifino is a super-talented combo guard who has a more-dependable 3-point shot than what he showed in his one season at Indiana."

NBA Draft Room - May 16th: "A big, tough guard who is a gamer and brings it every time out. A talented passer and facilitator with a nice mid range game."

John Fanta - Fox Sports - May 12: "At 19, Hood-Schifino has the upside to suggest he's deserving of a lottery slot in this class, presenting the traits that many NBA teams look for in guard play. What stands out about Hood-Schifino is how willing of a defender he is at his age."

Tyler Byrum and Chase Hughes - NBC Sports - May 8th: "A big guard (6-foot-6, 215 pounds) who can penetrate the paint and facilitate at an elite level in the high post is a hot commodity for draft evaluators. His go-to shot is the midrange pull-up jumper."

Bryan Kalbrosky - For the Win - May 5th: "He desperately needs to improve his jumper considering, per AI-Powered statistics provided by Stats Perform, he was just 8-for-36 (22.2 percent) on 3-pointers from NBA distance. But any freshman who is his size and who looks as comfortable as he does in ball screens is a sure-fire first-round draft pick."
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm hopeful about this pick, but not in love with it. Personally, I would have loved it if for once we selected a player who could actually shoot the damn ball from distance with consistency.

No doubt we'll pick a shooter at 40, but I suspect t that player will prove inconsistent from 3 despite "great looking" percentages (otherwise, said player wouldnt be a second round pick).

Honestly, we should have taken Cam Whitmore. Solid lottery talent who would have been a steal here.

Having said all that from an immediate emotional response, I nevertheless trust the scouting department, so I'll eventually get to a happier place with it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject:

It will be hard to get past him being a Hoosier
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject:

If he's a physical guard, that's kind of just what we need. Physical guard who hopefully learns to hit 3s next to Reaves and an aging but still very good AD is a nice core for a superstar to join the Lakers after LBJ retires/leaves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:27 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Lakers had a need for a defensive power guard. He wasn’t on my list of guys I was excited about but if he improves his C&S jumper he is going to be a very good player.
basically this
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Watching along with @Tim_NBA (aka Tim McCranjis) watch film of Fino.

It's not going great. Lot of deep sighing.

pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ooof

Tim_NBA: THT was a better shooter in college than this guy

Tim_NBA: "I'm curious what the Lakers are seeing."

Brutal.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Some pre-drafts reviews of our newest addition:

2023 Draft Profile - Jalen Hood-Schifino
Jonathan Wasserman - Bleacher Report - June 21st: "We’re hearing there has been a significant buildup of buzz on him during workout season, to the point where rival agents don’t anticipate him being on the board outside the lottery."

Gary Parrish - CBS Sports - June 20th: "Hood-Schifino is a super-talented combo guard who has a more-dependable 3-point shot than what he showed in his one season at Indiana."

NBA Draft Room - May 16th: "A big, tough guard who is a gamer and brings it every time out. A talented passer and facilitator with a nice mid range game."

John Fanta - Fox Sports - May 12: "At 19, Hood-Schifino has the upside to suggest he's deserving of a lottery slot in this class, presenting the traits that many NBA teams look for in guard play. What stands out about Hood-Schifino is how willing of a defender he is at his age."

Tyler Byrum and Chase Hughes - NBC Sports - May 8th: "A big guard (6-foot-6, 215 pounds) who can penetrate the paint and facilitate at an elite level in the high post is a hot commodity for draft evaluators. His go-to shot is the midrange pull-up jumper."

Bryan Kalbrosky - For the Win - May 5th: "He desperately needs to improve his jumper considering, per AI-Powered statistics provided by Stats Perform, he was just 8-for-36 (22.2 percent) on 3-pointers from NBA distance. But any freshman who is his size and who looks as comfortable as he does in ball screens is a sure-fire first-round draft pick."

Thank you so much for this.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ok, obviously a lot of people don’t like the pick. Big strong guard, not very athletic and can’t shoot 3, also he has a 3.7 assist/2.8 TO in college, that might be alarming.
Jury is still out, we will see him in action in a week or so
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Watching along with @Tim_NBA (aka Tim McCranjis) watch film of Fino.

It's not going great. Lot of deep sighing.

pjiddy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ooof

Tim_NBA: THT was a better shooter in college than this guy

Tim_NBA: "I'm curious what the Lakers are seeing."

Brutal.

Outside Wemby and Scoot I haven’t seen any of these guys play. But looking at numbers and evals from draft people and I just don’t get it. We’ll see what he’s got.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I know i said I would trust our FO on this but this feels like a huge whiff.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Ceiling is Jamal Murray 2.0
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
I'm hopeful about this pick, but not in love with it. Personally, I would have loved it if for once we selected a player who could actually shoot the damn ball from distance with consistency.

No doubt we'll pick a shooter at 40, but I suspect t that player will prove inconsistent from 3 despite "great looking" percentages (otherwise, said player wouldnt be a second round pick).

Honestly, we should have taken Cam Whitmore. Solid lottery talent who would have been a steal here.

Having said all that from an immediate emotional response, I nevertheless trust the scouting department, so I'll eventually get to a happier place with it.

Cam Whitemore apparently has a lot of red flags with medicals, and rumors of him lacking effort. He fell hard for a reason.

I don’t want players who are just good shooters. Because everytime, EVERY FREAKING TIME, we get a player who’s a known shooter, CRAPS THE BED on the Lakers. It happens all the time, and I’m sick of it.

Ironically, the best shooters on the this team, are players who can do more than just shoot the ball. Austin Reaves being a prime example of that.

So this works for me. I think the kid is a better shooter than his overall season in college, and he’s got Phil Handy working with him. He’ll be fine.
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject:

At least it was wasn’t a 6’4” or shorter guard. The selection shouldn’t mean anyone else currently on the team is expendable because we don’t know what we got with a draft pick but we know what we got this year from the players on the team.

Hopefully it’s a selection for a trade with another team for a player we need. Was he the best player available?

I like his upside and long term potential but AR is a combo guard and Dlo is a combo guard. I don’t think he can replace either in time to compete for a ship with LBJ/AD. It’s not something we should be counting on as the initial plan anyway.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Yea 78% from the line... shot form seems decent? Plus good midrange shooting as a proof-of-concept. Agree with the people concerned with his layup efficiency tho. 52.5% wat
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:

Remember that he was only a freshman. Max Christie, our pick last year as a freshman, shot 31% from the 3. His first year with us he shot 41%.

Hood-Schifino, otoh, shot 33% from 3 as a freshman. He can improve just like Max as puts in the work. Laker scouts know they're looking a gem as he puts in the work. Watch!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49
Jump to: