TWOLVES -at- LAKERS - 4-11-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I've aged 10 years watching this game
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject:

If you all think that this team isn't still trying to play "flip the switch" since the trade on February 8, you didn't watch last night's game and didn't pay attention.

If this team played to its potential, of the 8 losses the team had to finish the 26 games, at least four of them should have been wins had the Lakers taken the games as seriously as they should have (NY on March 12, Hou on March 15, Dal on March 17 and Chi on March 26)

I would also argue that because the Lakers messed around and didn't bring it against Utah on April 4, that directly led to the Lakers losing the game against the Clippers the next night.

That's at least 4 losses, if not 5, the Lakers suffered that should have been wins. Had the Lakers won those 4 games, no less all 5, they would have entered the playoffs as the 4 seed above Phoenix. Yea, this attitude is why the Lakers ended 7th instead of 4th.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject:

That 4th quarter/OT defense was pretty awesome though.

Wolves didn't know what to do. Completely stunned
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
If you all think that this team isn't still trying to play "flip the switch" since the trade on February 8, you didn't watch last night's game and didn't pay attention.

If this team played to its potential, of the 8 losses the team had to finish the 26 games, at least four of them should have been wins had the Lakers taken the games as seriously as they should have (NY on March 12, Hou on March 15, Dal on March 17 and Chi on March 26)

I would also argue that because the Lakers messed around and didn't bring it against Utah on April 4, that directly led to the Lakers losing the game against the Clippers the next night.

That's at least 4 losses, if not 5, the Lakers suffered that should have been wins. Had the Lakers won those 4 games, no less all 5, they would have entered the playoffs as the 4 seed above Phoenix. Yea, this attitude is why the Lakers ended 7th instead of 4th.

Playing Phoenix first round? No thanks. Warriors got the best deal finishing 6th, we got a pretty decent deal finishing 7th. The Grizzlies are troublesome but we've beaten them twice this year already, Phoenix is undefeated with KD on the floor
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject:

JJ Redick has a far more reasonable take - "The 4th quarter and overtime showed me that they are an elite defensive team, they completely cut off the Timberwolves, they defended the 3 point line so I'm not concerned." He then raised an issue where he was concerned, the final play in regulation where AD and Lebron botched the switch on a simple flare screen. When AD hit the game winner against the Nuggets in the WCF, Plumlee and Barton botched the switch. This is the stuff that causes concern.

A much more reasonable take then Chuck's "I'm concerned going into the playoffs becauise they haven't been consistent all year" even though they're a completely new team since the trade deadline and they have the best record in the league from that point on. A clear difference from someone who knows how to analyze a basketball game, and someone who's primarily comic relief

Reddick then went on to say while the Grizzlies are a top 3 defensive team, Adams is out for the year and they struggle to score in the half court. If the Lakers can limit their turnovers the Lakers have a real chance of winning this series.

Love Reddick's commentary. Really knows what he's talking about.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

So Bron missing 13. Dlo missing 8 or 9. AD missing 2. Travel. B2Bs. Other teams playing well. And these guys playing together for the first time had nothing to do with it.

It was them being lazy. Them not respecting the game.

That's why they had the best record and #1 D.

Got it.

Do you have a degree in team psychology?

#BannersOverBillboards
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

I agree with you on the regular season losses you mentioned, but against the Timberwolves in the play-in game, the Lakers were playing hard all throughout the game. They simply weren't executing until late in the third quarter, most of their non-superstars played like crap and they couldn't hit from downtown.

From now on, they won't have any excuse to be overconfident or nonchalant. The Grizzlies are beatable, but they're a really good team, and we won't have HCA in any playoff round. I doubt we'll see the Lakers not taking things seriously again.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject:

On the rewatch I need to give Bron more credit defensively. The stupid scheme the Lakers were running had Beasley confused multiple times (three in the first half) and it was causing problems. Bron was more or less doing what we wanted him to do. Beasley was mucking things up.

That’s more fixable. In fact, simplifying things in the second half helped Beasley a lot.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:42 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I agree with you on the regular season losses you mentioned, but against the Timberwolves in the play-in game, the Lakers were playing hard all throughout the game. They simply weren't executing until late in the third quarter, most of their non-superstars played like crap and they couldn't hit from downtown.

From now on, they won't have any excuse to be overconfident or nonchalant. The Grizzlies are beatable, but they're a really good team, and we won't have HCA in any playoff round. I doubt we'll see the Lakers not taking things seriously again.
Team played hard but not with the necessary urgency.

Understand that one cannot play with urgency that is especially seen with DL and Vando, team missed an opportunity to put the TWolves behind the 8 Ball

Agree with DB that LBJ played (most of the game) excellent defense (taking a charge, block shots), given that he has to take on a great deal of responsibilities on offense

Finding ways to effectively incorporating Beasley (having him knowing how to play the defensive schemes and on offense, knowing where are his sweet spots are) and Vando (finding ways to make people guard him on offense by constantly moving) so that he can limit Jackson's effectiveness.

The defensive pressure exerted when DS, Vando, AD, Brown/Reeves and LBJ always seemed to up the energy level a few notches and something to behold!!

Hopefully DLo and Beasley (along with Vando, kind of) will get over their jitters (I hope) when being in a playoff game against the team that traded them this season.

Having Beasley confused with defensive schemes is one thing, having LBJ/AD confused on defensive assignments on the final play of the regular season is something that is either concerning/confusing is (at the very least) "interesting."

Team will go far or fail on the backs of AD/LBJ.

Don't want to imagine if the Lakers had lost the game because our superstars were confused on their assignments on the most important defensive stand at the end of the last game
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject:

The thing about "flipping the switch" is... the Lakers are probably really (bleep) exhausted right now. They've played a lot of games recently. Most guys are playing with some nagging injury.

I think the Lakers are legitimately exhausted, so they're playing like it. Them "flipping the switch" on defense in the 4th was a matter of finding an extra gear. It's not sustainable for a full game. This is especially true for LeBron, ALTHOUGH I would rather he coasts on offense than defense. (We need better play from Reaves & especially Russell for that.)

I want to see what this team looks like with some rest. I'll eat crow if they look this flat footed against Memphis (but I won't catch the game).
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject:

So is it Ham? Or Bron-AD? Should have we kept PatBev as fire lighter? Why are we not hungry?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
So is it Ham? Or Bron-AD? Should have we kept PatBev as fire lighter? Why are we not hungry?
Whose team is it - AD or LBJ

When AD/LBJ have a misunderstanding on the last play of regular game that resulted in a totally flawed effort resulting in a foul - hard to get on anybody else to get going

If the team goes as far as AD/LBJ will take them, it is on them

Re: Exhausted
Agree

Ham needs to find a way to keep Vando and DS in the game because their defensive intensity seems to fire up the team overall. With the D triggering the O that makes it easier to consistently bring a high level of urgency, DS/Vando are invaluable and strategic

DLo, hopefully, has gotten rid of the jitters and will return to his high level of play and outside shooting

In a "Winner-Take-All" game, Ham went to the guys that he trust, effective in the game and were producing. Hence Gabriel, Brown and Bamba were on the bench
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

We are hungry. The team was simply too tired, IMHO.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject:

I think, in addition to the change in defensive strategy (switching) in the 4th, the Lakers also upped their energy and focus. If exhaustion was the issue, I would expect more energy early, not late. The opposite occurred, which implies a flipping the switch approach, not an energy issue. However, it could be both too.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think, in addition to the change in defensive strategy (switching) in the 4th, the Lakers also upped their energy and focus. If exhaustion was the issue, I would expect more energy early, not late. The opposite occurred, which implies a flipping the switch approach, not an energy issue. However, it could be both too.
The “Switch” was DS’ defensive pressure that elevated/motivated others to bring the greater urgency that Ham keels on saying what should always be there

Vando brings the same defensive energy but can’t stay in the court because his offensive liabilities limits his MPGs. If Ham can figure out a way to use him more effectively and/or develop counters to what opposing teams have done upon scouting him . . . .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: