LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS – 4-5-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS – 4-5-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Didn’t watch the game yet. Post your thoughts and recaps here.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

No PG, no problem. 11 straight Ls
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Scheduled loss
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Got hammed
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Eff around and find out.

The team was destined for a loss after not putting away the Jazz the night before. Should have rested the vets in the 4th, instead they let it go into OT and they had to fight for their lives to come out with the W.

Tonight was a big game.... but This team doesn't have the heart, grit or fire to step up to the challenge. They pretty much all shrunk when it mattered. The score and inflated stats at the end of the game mean jack shtt.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Ok losing to the clippers in this one hurt. Come to think of it it’s really starting to get to me now. I know it was a hard one with the OT last night and everything. I get it. I just hate the freaking Clippers and how fired up and seemingly perfect they play when they play us. Powell and Hyland killed us and we had zero answers. Very very annoying. F the Clippers!
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject:

I’m actually not bothered by this. Scheduled loss, especially after last night.
More of the offense should have been run through DLO and Reaves instead of Bron that first half.

Bron was SO BAD that first half that it tanked momentum of the game. Box score doesn’t reflect how not good he was. He should have been sat towards the end of the first half and LA would have really had a fighting chance. Best Lakers tonight were probably DLO, Troy, and AR in an interchangeable order
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject:

As expected at the end of a road trip and a back to back we looked tired, slow and unfocused. Effort was lacking to say the least, except for a couple short spurts here and there. LeBron looked terrible most of the game and was chucking 3’s like crazy. We brought Reeves and AD back too late in the 4th to have a chance. The Clippers size bothers us (a lot). So we have to be at the top of our game to have a chance. We didn’t have it tonight. Hard to watch!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad the Lakers tried to win and take this game seriously, but we were up against it.

As others said, they made things hard on themselves by barely beating Utah last night, and now our last two games are must-win games. We can still finish sixth if we win both and GSW loses another game, but all the close losses this season have come back to haunt us.

That's why we need to have a sense of urgency from day one of the season and not simply try to make the play-in tournament or get a low playoff seed, then "turn it on" when the playoffs start. That's what they thought they could do last season.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Clippers basically attacked AR, I think Lue has always done that. AR is not a bad defender, but he has trouble guarding quick guys. The First half by lebron was worse than we actually load managed him. Not too worried about the loss though
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject:

Too bad for the loss. I was feeling really optimistic a couple times, especially with those great unanswered runs, but I guess the guys were simply too fatigued. Especially LeBron,w who was, in my opinion, one of the main reasons for the early deficits (all the ball-fumbling and turnovers really bit us). On to the next one.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:23 am    Post subject:

Keeping it real, the Clippers are just to deep on the offensive side of the ball. We need to exploit our big edge at the 5 to have a chance. We lost it this game.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Clippers basically attacked AR, I think Lue has always done that. AR is not a bad defender, but he has trouble guarding quick guys. The First half by lebron was worse than we actually load managed him. Not too worried about the loss though

This is the one time I don’t care about losing to them. It was a clear disadvantage. I commend Lebron and AD for playing, but it was obvious this one was most likely a loss.

Team A played on 2nd night of B2B and 4 games in 6 nights.

Team B has had 3 full days off.

Doesn’t matter who team A or B are, that’s a 10% chance of winning for Team A.

Anyway, it’s going to be hilarious when the Clippers tank their game against the Blazers to avoid the 4/5 matchup with Suns.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

This is the one time I don’t care about losing to them. It was a clear disadvantage. I commend Lebron and AD for playing, but it was obvious this one was most likely a loss.

Anyway, it’s going to be hilarious when the Clippers tank their game against the Blazers to avoid the 4/5 matchup with Suns.

I agree but they didn’t have Pg and they were really the only formidable opponent we’ve had outside of wolves.

We can still avoid play in but getting slotted gives us a week off.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject:

This was literally a scheduled loss. 3 games in 4 nights.

But I still expected and wanted a win.

Clips just have our number, nothing else to say. Their athletic wings and 2 7 footers killed us.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

I agree but they didn’t have Pg and they were really the only formidable opponent we’ve had outside of wolves.

Nothing pisses me off more than this (bleep) show 11 game losing streak to the clippers. Just absolutely embarrassing.

I just can’t get mad about this one instance because you have a team that was clearly tired and another with a lot of energy to unleash. It would be like some NCCA tourney team just waiting for 3 days while the other team had to survive and advance for those 3 days.

Now if this was a loss with not a such a big schedule disadvantage, then yeah I would be pretty pissed as a Laker fan and given their track record vs. clippers it could very well be that they would have lost anyway. So maybe the schedulers saved them from true embarrassment.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm not as gracious as others by simply accepting we were due a loss in this game because of "reasons". At minimum, whatever factors are at play when a team hits the court, you are still in control of doing the best you can with what you have. The Lakers didn't fully do that last night.

The Clippers did the best they could with what they had. I can't diminish what their coach and players brought to the game in tactics, effort and execution. They still could've won even if we did a better job doing the same. Here are my issues with what happened:

~~~~~

- If Bamba was activated, why wasn't he on the floor to draw Zubac's coverage when we had the ball, which frees up AD and Lebron to then abuse their smaller defenders?

- In general, it's clear Ham embraces the three-guard lineups so much because of what he hopes we gain from it offensively, but it often kills us defensively which is where we need the most help. In the third he mostly stuck with two guards, two forwards and AD at center, and guess what? We held the Clips to 22 points while still scoring over 30 ourselves.

- Whatever lineup we have out there, Ham has to more quickly recognize the area of weakness our opponents are consistently attacking and make adjustments. Early in the fourth quarter, Bones targeted Dennis over and over by simply shooting over him and he put up a TON of points doing so. Dennis is tiny so no surprise there, but where is Ham with the adjustments? The same is true with how Austin was getting blitzed a lot by Powell earlier on.

- Lastly, if there were an award given out for the emptiest of stat lines after a game, LeBron would've taken home the trophy two games in a row. Yes, his numbers look good on paper, but anyone watching the game knows how much he hurt the team. His game in the first half was ATROCIOUS. Unforced turnovers, unsuccessfully shooting too many long distance shots (including just inside the thre point line), an almost complete lack of interest in playing defense... I literally joked out loud that he must've had some money on the game for the Clippers to win. His second half was a decent turn around, especially in defensive effort and FINALLY attacking the basket, but the worthless threes he made at the end when the game was already decided didn't impress.

~~~~~

All of these problems could've been addressed for a better Laker showing, and hopefully we see that in the last two games and beyond.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject:

Disappointment
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

it was clear they were shellshocked in the first quarter, especially by the 3s of Westbook, and to their credit, they did fight back.
AD looked tired, Lebron looked tired in the first half. AR looks very tired.

the good takeaway for me is that Lebron is getting healthier, he was great in the 2nd half, and this is the Lebron we will need in the playoffs.

i will be happy for the 7th seed, so i hope they can win Friday against PHX.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject:

Scheduled loss. I'd have preferred DNPs for AD & Bron after the OT.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Halflife wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Nothing pisses me off more than this (bleep) show 11 game losing streak to the clippers. Just absolutely embarrassing.

I just can’t get mad about this one instance because you have a team that was clearly tired and another with a lot of energy to unleash. It would be like some NCCA tourney team just waiting for 3 days while the other team had to survive and advance for those 3 days.

Now if this was a loss with not a such a big schedule disadvantage, then yeah I would be pretty pissed as a Laker fan and given their track record vs. clippers it could very well be that they would have lost anyway. So maybe the schedulers saved them from true embarrassment.

I get it, but we were dragged to OT by a tanking team without some good players. A win most likely gets us a week off.

This whole scheduled loss thing is silly. We are either a good team or we are team built on beating bad ones down the stretch. Wins are wins, but the clippers didn't have PG and it was the perfect game for us to flex.

Hopefully, Suns sit everyone when we play them
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject:

I tip my hat to AD, DLO, and LBJ for playing through pain. But now we see the consequences of letting a trash team make a 4th quarter comeback and take us to OT.
cheesehead88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Zero Accountability for Bron

Hit the nail right on the head.
With Bamba at 5 and AD at 4 Lakers would have been the bigger badder bullies. If anything just to keep AD away from foul trouble going into the third

With AD at Center he was destroyed by Zubac crashing the boards from weak side and in low post on switches.

If anything you use Max Christie or Vando short stretches to guard Powell or Bones.

Shut off the water.

DLO and Reaves the most skilled offensive backcourt in the league. But on D very similar to the Dame Lillard CJ McCollum backcourt. They don’t provide any real resistance at POA and their back pressure not as good as Danny Green or Caruso.

They start doing pick and roll or isos with a quick guard. Need to put Vando or Christie in to shut it off

Don’t stick with the 3 guard lineup “hoping” the threes or Austin Reaves midrange / foul baiting starts to work

This team only works if the D is 2020 quality shut down defense

Bamba and Christie would help

Jay Huff or Whiteside would have helped too

joeblow wrote:
Yeah, I'm not as gracious as others by simply accepting we were due a loss in this game because of "reasons". At minimum, whatever factors are at play when a team hits the court, you are still in control of doing the best you can with what you have. The Lakers didn't fully do that last night.

The Clippers did the best they could with what they had. I can't diminish what their coach and players brought to the game in tactics, effort and execution. They still could've won even if we did a better job doing the same. Here are my issues with what happened:

~~~~~

- If Bamba was activated, why wasn't he on the floor to draw Zubac's coverage when we had the ball, which frees up AD and Lebron to then abuse their smaller defenders?

- In general, it's clear Ham embraces the three-guard lineups so much because of what he hopes we gain from it offensively, but it often kills us defensively which is where we need the most help. In the third he mostly stuck with two guards, two forwards and AD at center, and guess what? We held the Clips to 22 points while still scoring over 30 ourselves.

- Whatever lineup we have out there, Ham has to more quickly recognize the area of weakness our opponents are consistently attacking and make adjustments. Early in the fourth quarter, Bones targeted Dennis over and over by simply shooting over him and he put up a TON of points doing so. Dennis is tiny so no surprise there, but where is Ham with the adjustments? The same is true with how Austin was getting blitzed a lot by Powell earlier on.

- Lastly, if there were an award given out for the emptiest of stat lines after a game, LeBron would've taken home the trophy two games in a row. Yes, his numbers look good on paper, but anyone watching the game knows how much he hurt the team. His game in the first half was ATROCIOUS. Unforced turnovers, unsuccessfully shooting too many long distance shots (including just inside the thre point line), an almost complete lack of interest in playing defense... I literally joked out loud that he must've had some money on the game for the Clippers to win. His second half was a decent turn around, especially in defensive effort and FINALLY attacking the basket, but the worthless threes he made at the end when the game was already decided didn't impress.

~~~~~

All of these problems could've been addressed for a better Laker showing, and hopefully we see that in the last two games and beyond.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Zero Accountability for Bron

cheesehead88 wrote:
With Bamba at 5 and AD at 4 Lakers would have been the bigger badder bullies. If anything just to keep AD away from foul trouble going into the third

With AD at Center he was destroyed by Zubac crashing the boards from weak side and in low post on switches.

If anything you use Max Christie or Vando short stretches to guard Powell or Bones.

Shut off the water.

DLO and Reaves the most skilled offensive backcourt in the league. But on D very similar to the Dame Lillard CJ McCollum backcourt. They don’t provide any real resistance at POA and their back pressure not as good as Danny Green or Caruso.

They start doing pick and roll or isos with a quick guard. Need to put Vando or Christie in to shut it off

Don’t stick with the 3 guard lineup “hoping” the threes or Austin Reaves midrange / foul baiting starts to work

joeblow wrote:

~~~~~

~~~~~

Having Bambo's 1st game against the Clips probably would have seen various defensive lapses and the Clips would have forced him to the perimeter.

The slow "Help the Helper" was more the culprit unless you think that Zubac is a better player than AD.

They did have Vando on him for a little while but was just a little slow. Having Christie could have been used to bring a burst of energy.

When LBJ has 6 of the 14TOs, along with his lackluster 1st half, Lakers were in trouble. TLue double/triple-team from different angles and the Lakers now have videos to breakdown while devising counters to these defensive schemes.

Lakers, as a whole, seemed to be a step slow on all their rotations and didn't have the needed energy to place an intense sense of urgency on defense.

Good thing is that all their players were available.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Zero Accountability for Bron

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
cheesehead88 wrote:

Shut off the water.

joeblow wrote:

~~~~~

~~~~~

Having Bambo's 1st game against the Clips probably would have seen various defensive lapses and the Clips would have forced him to the perimeter.

The slow "Help the Helper" was more the culprit unless you think that Zubac is a better player than AD.

They did have Vando on him for a little while but was just a little slow. Having Christie could have been used to bring a burst of energy.

When LBJ has 6 of the 14TOs, along with his lackluster 1st half, Lakers were in trouble. TLue double/triple-team from different angles and the Lakers now have videos to breakdown while devising counters to these defensive schemes.

Lakers, as a whole, seemed to be a step slow on all their rotations and didn't have the needed energy to place an intense sense of urgency on defense.

Good thing is that all their players were available.

Side Note:
However, the Suns’ inability to dispatch of the shorthanded Nuggets led to a heavier-than-ideal workload for their stars. Durant ended up playing 40 minutes, with Booker and Paul not too far behind with their 37.

As a result, head coach Monty Williams hinted that the Suns may err on the side of caution on the second game of their back-to-back set against the Los Angeles Lakers. According to Duane Rankin of AZ Central, Williams failed to give a definitive response to the question of whether their big three suits up tomorrow night. If they do, there’s even a possibility that the Suns pull a Kawhi Leonard and just play them for the first half of action.
https://clutchpoints.com/suns-news-phoenix-plan-for-kevin-durant-chris-paul-vs-lakers-gets-cryptic-update
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: