LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 4-4-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- JAZZ - 4-4-23 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Up 10 With 1:35 Left and Overtime?... This would have been an awful loss.

“I thought we kind of walked the ball up floor,” Ham said of the Lakers’ regulation close. Yep.

As mentioned, the lead was 10 with about 1:35 left. Reaves had just rattled off a series of points, and the Lakers looked like they had finally secured this one.

They gave up a three. Then LeBron was called for an offensive foul on a step-back three. They gave up another layup to cut it to 5. Then AD missed a 17-footer and Olynyk came down and chucked up a deep three that banked in with 41 seconds left to cut it to 2.

On the other end, AD was tapped on a short turnaround that rolled in and out. The Jazz were able to tie it up getting fouled under the hoop on the other end with 11 seconds left. Timeout Lakers.

On the inbounds, the Lakers spread the floor and hit LeBron cutting down the middle and he couldn’t finish a great look at the rim.

“I smoked a layup,” Bron said, and on to overtime we go

The Jazz would score an And-1 on an opening jumpball tip and they went up 3 to cap off a 13-0 run at this point..

In overtime, LeBron would score 9 of the Lakers 11 points, the lone bucket by Reaves on a pull-up to cut it to 1 after another Olynyk three.

The key bucket in OT came out of a Laker timeout as they cleared the side for LeBron, got the ball to him quickly, and he attacked. He spun between defenders and scored a layup with 27 seconds left. They’d hold off a THT drive on the other end, chuck the ball down court and run out the clock to take the win.

The Lakers went 4-0 on the roadtrip, but after an overtime game, they will play a well-rested Clipper team tomorrow.

“We’ll figure it all out,” Ham said.

LeBron -- -- Up and down fourth quarter for him. He had some early turnovers in the fourth that helped the Jazz chip away. He was settling for jumpers and not including AD. Then, they finally started working the ball to AD and running two-man action. Then Bron went into dribbling the air out of the ball like Ham mentioned. The offense stagnated andHe had 16 points on 6-10 shooting at the then you saw the Jazz find their way back into it. Huge miss by Bron on a drive to end the game. He was downhill, fending off a big well and just couldn’t finish with his left. They ignored Reaves a bit too much down the stretch and in OT. Bron called his number for a play and Reaves knocked down the jumper in OT. Glad he remembered someone else was having a huge game. So those two had all our OT points as LeBron got the other 9, including a couple of clutch FTs with under a minute left. Ideally, you get LeBron rest in this game. You take out this team early, hold onto the lead and give your guys a better chance in the next one. “When tomorrow gets here, we will see what happens,” Bron said. At least we kept his minutes to 38, but he mentioned it was the most he’s played in a while, so he was feeling it. The Stats: He scored 37 points on 14-27 shooting (3-10 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 6 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 5 turnovers and 2 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a -7.

Davis -- -- He had 16 points on 6-9 shooting at the half and just 5 points on 1-7 shooting in the second half. I think part of it could have been a little fatigue, but really we were just not executing the offense well for stretches. So not a lot of buckets in that second half, but also we had some lazy possessions at times. After he made his first attempt in the fourth and second half on a floater, they did seem to notice they needed to involve him more. They then went to some of their standard plays. At times, he and Bron would draw a lot of extra attention. Thus, you see some decent assist numbers from AD, but he also had some of those hockey assists, too, where we moved the ball around. In OT, he missed both of his freethrow attempts (really poor job at the line, leaving 5 points there in a OT game). AD did have a big offensive board and hit Bron cutting for a massive dunk attempt that resulted in FTs. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 7-16 shooting (7-12 from the line) to go with 14 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 42 minutes. He was a +4.

Reaves -- -- The man put up 28 across Bron and AD and was a team-high +10. Did it on 13 shots while dishing 6 assists. Good start to this one. He had 9 points in the first quarter, hitting two threes and an And-1 layup. Another productive third quarter had him tied for team high with 19. In the fourth, he had a stretch where he was fouled on a defensive board for FTs. The then scored a layup on the break with Bron with 2:28 left. Then swished a corner three the next time down. Big 7 points during the heart of the battle. They wouldn’t involve him for the next couple several trips down the court and the offense died. Defensively, it wasn’t a perfect game. He got beat a few times for layup. But he also came up with big charges on JTA and and Sexton. Great D, taking the contact right into the chest. In overtime, after he made that big jumper, he then drew an offensive foul on the other end on an illegal screen. Huge stop. Seriously, LG, we got a good one here. I know there’s still a few holding onto thoughts of him being on a hot streak. Yeah, he won’t be dropping 28-35 points nightly, but he has just been consistently efficient and effective both in scoring and setting up teammates every night. He was a +119 in March, added the +10 again in this one. Balled out once again tonight. The Stats: He scored 28 points on 8-13 shooting (4-7 from three, 8-8 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 6 assists, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 42 minutes. He was a +10.

Schröder -- -- Very aggressive shooting night from him as a result of no Russell in this one. He had 10 points on 4-10 shooting at the half and made 3-8 in the second half. He got into the midrange, found some points at the rim (one on one of those change of directions fake outs, another on a drive right down the middle of the paint). The three ball wasn’t dropping until he got his legs into one on a wing three out of a timeout. Defensively, he had to deal with THT, whose got that strength and length. He was involved in both the coaching challenges in this one. One the Lakers saved him a foul on a jumper. The other he was called for a foul on the overturn. He avoided fouling out with 5 fouls, so good job I guess on our part with that early first-half challenge to save him one. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-18 shooting (1-5 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 3 offensive boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 5 fouls in 42 minutes. He was a +4.

Vanderbilt -- -- The Jazz were leaving him wide open from three and he went 2-4 from three. You will take that. But again, it’s not just knocking those down, it’s the lack of gravity that becomes a concern. So the Lakers benched him late in this one to go with Brown as more of a two-way player. Rui, also, has been coming along well with his two-way play. This is what we will likely see a bit of in the playoffs as teams focus on magnifying your weaknesses. Defensively, some good moments deflecting passes or knocking balls loose. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-4 shooting from three to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block and 4 fouls in 18 minutes. He was a +4.

Beasley -- -- He crossed over and hit a bank on the run for his only bucket. Not very effective again. The Jazz are familiar with his game on both ends, so while he did allow for some spacing for the team, he was also attacked a few times as guys got running starts on him. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting (0-2 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 block and 2 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -7.

Brown -- -- His only make in this game was swishing a big three with 6 minutes left in the fourth to go up 7. In overtime, he had an opportunity to take another three in the corner, but worked the give and go to Bron for a dunk. Great read there. Defensively, I just want to point out the zero fouls in 26 minutes. The Lakers are great defensively at avoiding fouls and it’s guys like Brown and Reaves who are taking on tough assignments and avoiding fouls. He closed for the team at the SF. I think we may see that a lot in tight games and the playoffs. Sometimes, they’ll go with the Reaves/DLo/Schroeder trio, but this will likely be one of our important options to get two-way minutes. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal and no fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +2.

Hachimura -- -- I’m loving so much of his game right now. He’s using that strong body of his to get to boards or out muscle guys in the post or on drives. Did that again tonight. The perimeter shooting has more gravity than Vando, so Ham is trusting him more now that he’s got the defense improving. Again, another nice sequence with Bron on a step-up screen where they just read how the defense plays them. This allows him to cut back to the hoop and take a laser from LeBron for a dunk. So combine that with us spotting more post mismatches with regularity and he’s getting more and more effective. If he can keep stringing together good games like he has in the last three, we’ve leveled up the team again. Offensively, I’m just seeing some better recognition and a couple plays specifically for him. He’s filling in the rest with hustle in transition or letting the game come to him. Keep it up. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 7-11 shooting (1-4 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +4.

Gabriel -- -- Not much noteworthy in this one. He had a putback layup for his only points. Did a decent job securing the defensive glass. Bamba has been upgraded health-wise and we will need to get him some minutes to close the season. So we will see what happens here. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 5 boards, 1 block and 2 fouls in 10 minutes. He was a -4.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: He let the team slow the pace down too much down the stretch. He didn’t like the lack of paint touches. He mentioned that right after the game, so I’m sure he reminded his guys to keep the foot on the gas a little more and don’t settle for long jumpers. Nearly a nightmare finish that could have had huge ramifications if the Lakers dropped the game.

Key Substitution: I think it was notable we saw Brown close the game and overtime. Teams really leave Vando wide open and it mucks things up sometimes even if Vando hits his threes. The lack of gravity is still there. Vando is sometimes like McGee was for the Lakers. A couple of decent shifts to start halves and then we figure out different ways to mix him in after that. With Brown and Rui able to play two-way minutes, you will see a lot of that. When other teams have an athletic or superstar guard or wing, we’ll see more Vando and deal with some of the repercussions on the offensive end.

Key Stats: The Jazz short 24-31 from the line. That’s a bit too many FTs than we like to give up.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I'd love for the Lakers to trust Reaves a little bit more down the stretch, he's such an efficient playmaker and I always trust his decision making.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Obviously, the W is welcome, as is the fact team will now at least finish at .500.

Now the downside. Ok, you gotta be kidding me, blowing a 10 point lead like that is just...

well...so this season. Why the heck should I be surprised?
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I think most of us were yelling at the TV to give the ball to Reeves down the stretch. LeBron was killing us with his run the clock out and then chuck up a low percentage 3.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
I think most of us were yelling at the TV to give the ball to Reeves down the stretch. LeBron was killing us with his run the clock out and then chuck up a low percentage 3.

You ain't lying.

I'm not being reactionary when I say that Lebron's bball I.Q. has to be the lowest of any Laker superstar I can think of. He may have more innate abilities than any of them, but when A} he refuses to do the obvious right thing and instead B} does the ultimate wrong thing over and over and over again, what other conclusion can you come to?

I mean, his early season barrage of double-digit three bombs per game is a major reason why we started off 2-10. This guy even forced me to change my sig. Grrrr, we didn't deserve that win at all.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Gave up the last 10 plus the first 3 in OT...

man this would have been a horrible loss,

Did someone forget to tell the Jazz that they suck???

Can anyone stop or at least slow down THT-MJ?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

THT had 7 baskets in 21 attempts. It wasn't a great game from him and he was a major reason why we eked out a win TBH. A really inefficient game. He wanted to iso on us all day long, I mean sure but he's not at that level yet
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Excellent write-up once again. That game was just... stressful.

So glad we came away with a win. Lakers won an ugly one. Tomorrow's going to be interesting.

.500 on the season clinched now. More wins please!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:14 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB!

Not pretty, but not as ugly as a loss would've been.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:21 am    Post subject:

A loss to the Jazz would have been really bad, as it is - it forced LBJ and AD to play heavier minutes than what would be ideal. However, the ball was in the team's studs - LBJ & AD. Maybe they should have DS/AR trigger the offense with LBJ & AD as the shooters that would lessen the wear and tear while allowing them to get to their fav spots to receive the ball

It would have been nice to have LBJ/AD play about 20-25 minutes providing a strong possibility for LBJ and AD play against the Clippers.

Will management hold AD out, to play the Suns and Jazz (if needed)
or
Play AD (with a minute restriction) and not play against the Suns.

Re: Vando
Can they play him like how the Dubs are playing Draymond (understanding that he is the playmaker).
Maybe if Vando can play elite defense that force TOs and forces the pace of the offense, he would be able to play more MPG
How can they involve Vando in more screens and/or play in the dunker position on the court to get more MPG
What other counters can Ham try.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:37 am    Post subject:

This is the problem of playing Lebron Ball. We go from getting 36 assists with our starting PG not even playing, running our sets and the ball moving to stagnant ball watching with LeBron chucking threes.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:13 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Startrout wrote:

You ain't lying.

I'm not being reactionary when I say that Lebron's bball I.Q. has to be the lowest of any Laker superstar I can think of. He may have more innate abilities than any of them, but when A} he refuses to do the obvious right thing and instead B} does the ultimate wrong thing over and over and over again, what other conclusion can you come to?

I mean, his early season barrage of double-digit three bombs per game is a major reason why we started off 2-10. This guy even forced me to change my sig. Grrrr, we didn't deserve that win at all.

lol that's harsh
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:

My wife and I were both yelling give the ball to AR. +10 and a guy who is -7 is taking the last shot? SMH.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
This is the problem of playing Lebron Ball. We go from getting 36 assists with our starting PG not even playing, running our sets and the ball moving to stagnant ball watching with LeBron chucking threes.

There'll be less Lebron ball once DLO comes back ... hopefully
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject:

Walking the ball up to use up clock time at the end of the game is a recipe for failure for this team. Run the offense. It’s not just on Lebron. The guys need to be running, setting screens, cutting to the basket. Plays need to be called, and not just for AD if he’s doubled. If there is a man open, Lebron will make the right play. Instead, with the clock ticking down the team stands around and watches Lebron dribble…waiting to see what he does. This is on Ham to practice end of game scenarios as playoffs approach.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

I didn't see the game as it was not broadcast here in Sac, but judging from all the comments, the Laks really screwed up by not finishing out the game in regulation. Yes, they ultimately won, but it will be an upset if they win tonight and a loss will really jeopardize getting that sixth spot.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

THT had 7 baskets in 21 attempts. It wasn't a great game from him and he was a major reason why we eked out a win TBH. A really inefficient game. He wanted to iso on us all day long, I mean sure but he's not at that level yet

THT is AWFUL. I actually laughed at how bad he was today.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: