LAKERS -at- ROCKETS – 4-2-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- ROCKETS – 4-2-23 - DIY Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Sorry LG, could cover the game. Post your thoughts, recaps and comments here.

Loved Rui’s game on both ends. Rim protection was amazing. Some nice actions with LeBron, as well.

AD continues to dominate and glad he looked like himself after the ankle twist in the previous game.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject:

First yes!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Ruiz? When'd get him?

Any news on DLO?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Overall solid win. Lakers jumped out early with a 19 point lead (42-23); watched it slowly get down to 6 in the third before re-igniting on both ends and burying the Rockets.

Team technically now controls its own destiny to get an actual playoff spot at 6th seed (or possibly 5th). But, next few games, although team records are not great, are by no means easy:

-Jazz not a bad team, just not good. Can be tough.
-Clippers have been a PITA for the Lakers for years now. Some of those PITA players not around anymore, but even if Lakers win it will be a tight game
-Suns have a scary starting 4 players. It is possible however by the time Lakers play them Suns may have wrapped up 4th seed and will have no reason to play starters.

Will see how it goes.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Revenge tour continues.....

The Lakers are intent on whipping the asses of the teams that recently beat them. It was extra incentive to do it on the other teams courts.

Davis- His dominance continues. He's wearing the king's crown right now. He has a gear very few players have and we dominate when he operates in it. I didn't like the fact that he was in the game when we were up twenty four. It seemed like coach wanted to get him forty. It just seemed like such an unnecessary risk.

James- Rounding into shape. His timing and rhythm are returning. He's also, at least for now, picking and choosing his spots. He realizes that he has serious talent around him now and can really pick the times he chooses to dominate.

Russell- Went out with a sore foot, I believe. His corner threes are a thing of beauty. His pace with the ball is perfect for the team because it's both calming and precise. The main thing about he, Reaves and Vanderbilt is that they fit around our two alphas. That should be the most important priority going forward.

Reaves- His nickname from me for now is "Real". Mainly because most of us didn't know if his game was a fluke or real. Well, it's clear that his game is real, his bball iq is real, his grittiness is real, his jumper is real, his ability to take charges are real.

His efficiency is crazy. I eagerly look forward to the BREAKING NEWS headline of: Austin "Real" Reaves resigns with the Lakers .....

Hachimura- He's a force when he's awake. Maybe the recent benching was a caffiene shot for him. Straight to the blood stream andit had him ready to play. The aggression is what stood out. The numbers of 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 3 blocks reflect an assertive, eager to get at it, Hachimura. That kind of performance elevates us to a totally different level of competitiveness.

Vando, TBjr, Beasley, and Gabriel all played real good complementary ball.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

It looked like a scrimmage. No intensity. I feel bad for Houston, Wemby cant fix that mess.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
It looked like a scrimmage. No intensity. I feel bad for Houston, Wemby cant fix that mess.

They are also owed a ton of picks from Brooklyn from the Harden trade.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:39 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are starting to feel like a gathering storm. But it's all organic, and it has been building little by little. I like how there's no hype around this team, yet gradually the national pundits are starting to believe in its potential, even this season.

Imagine how much better we'd be if we run it back and have a full training camp together, and especially if we somehow replace Beasley with a 3-and-D swingman who can start at the 2 (I still think Reaves is better off as a sixth man but still finishing games at least some of the time).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject:

From Edwin Garcia
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2023/4/2/23667404/lakers-vs-rockets-final-score-recap-stats-lebron-james-anthony-davis-dangelo-russell-nba

After their disappointing last visit to Houston, the Lakers got revenge in their return, trouncing the Houston Rockets, 134-109. The victory was critical for seeding purposes as the regular season is about to enter the final week of play.

A game removed from avoiding serious injury, Anthony Davis was utterly dominant, dropping 40 points against the Rockets’ undersized front court.

LeBron James looked sharp as he continues to work himself back into game shape, ending the night with a triple-double: 18 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds.

The Lakers’ bench mob also had a good game with Rui Hachimura leading the way as he had his best game since joining the team. He finished with 20 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks.

With the victory, the Lakers improve to a season-best two games over .500 and take sole possession of the seventh place due to owning the tiebreaker over New Orleans.

The only blemish on an otherwise good win was an apparent injury to D’Angelo Russell. Russell was ruled out for the entire second half due to left foot soreness. Hopefully his second-half absence was more precautionary than something worrisome heading into the final week of the season.

The Lakers came out blazing with a 14-5 run initiated by Davis attacking the basket at every chance. Russell caught fire as well, hitting two threes in the first. By the end of the quarter, the result already felt like a foregone conclusion.

The second quarter only further confirmed this as despite the Rockets’ best efforts, they were unable to ever make a run or slow down the Lakers' momentum.

Houston did end up making a mini-run, bringing the score back to within single digits. But too many missed shots at the rim, bad fouls and poor transition defense prevented the Rockets from ever truly putting the game in jeopardy for Los Angeles.

With a James’ slam and a last-second runner from Hachimura, the Lakers were up by 18 heading into the final frame.

After a few more highlight plays, the Lakers’ lead ballooned to 24. This allowed James and Davis to rest early in the fourth quarter. An allowance that has been very rare this season, but only further highlights the team’s recent upswing.

Key Takeaways
Hachimura won’t always be as sharp as he was tonight, but having a player who can create his own shot and be automatic from the midrange off the bench is a luxury few teams have. The front office deserves credit for understanding Hachimura’s value, as does the coaching staff for putting him in a role that optimizes what he’s good at.

The Lakers enter the season’s final week with a back-to-back against the Jazz and Clippers. Given the importance of these final games, keeping everyone healthy the rest of the way will be pivotal.

--

Utah Jazz's injury report for today's Nets Game that they won
https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/jazz-nets-injury-report-lauri-markkanen

Jordan Clarkson (hand), Collin Sexton (hamstring), and Rudy Gay (back) are listed as out, while All-Star forward Lauri Markkanen (wrist) is questionable. The Nets enter the contest with a clean bill of health.

Maybe they will guard THT just like Westbrook, pack the paint and force him to make outside shots

Clippers don't have any games between now and the upcoming Lakers game. In this game, will they play Westbrook like how they defended TNT - pack the paint and force Westbrook into wild shots and bad decisions.

--

Lakers Upcoming Games
April 3rd @ Utah (young team with nothing to lose w/THT playing better)
April 5th @ Clippers (Will these Lakers break the consecurive losses to the Clips?)
April 7th @ Home playing the Suns (w/KD, Booker & CP3 - they have an excellent starting lineup. Lakers' advantage will be our throughout our roster)
April 9th @ Home playing the Jazz (will the Jazz be setting their stars that would allow Danny the Trader look at the very young talent he has on this roster?)
Kaoxt
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
The Lakers are starting to feel like a gathering storm. But it's all organic, and it has been building little by little. I like how there's no hype around this team, yet gradually the national pundits are starting to believe in its potential, even this season.

Imagine how much better we'd be if we run it back and have a full training camp together, and especially if we somehow replace Beasley with a 3-and-D swingman who can start at the 2 (I still think Reaves is better off as a sixth man but still finishing games at least some of the time).

There's definitely hype. ESPN is either calling them a potential championship team or telling people they will win the championship if they can stay healthy.

It's been like that for about a month now
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject:

The biggest takeaway for me is the Lakers followed through on their “Get back” talk.

Chicago, Minnesota and Houston all talked their (bleep) and were feeling themselves after wins vs. the Lakers.

Lakers humbled those teams. Good sign.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject:

Good solid win as others have said. Please just be healthy for the playoffs! Whatever the outcome is, it is. Just want this squad healthy. They can do some damage and are clicking at the right time. Nobody wants a series with this team.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Ruiz? When'd get him?

Any news on DLO?

Ham said he was out on precautionary..meaning I think he is going to play next game.

I think that is what is good about having a deep team. You can do stuff like this and still win and allow your stars to stay healthy.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject:

Kaoxt wrote:
slavavov wrote:

There's definitely hype. ESPN is either calling them a potential championship team or telling people they will win the championship if they can stay healthy.

As usual, the media prematurely creating hype for no other reason than creating material. I suppose media in general but sports media loves to make quick takes.

Love where theyve put themselves so far but AD isnt going 35-40 points a night every night, and team has zero reliable big man depth behind him. They also still dont have a winning record vs teams over .500 while playing in one of the weakest years (or parity laden) i can remember for the western conference. I suppose that last bit i said can be spun for the espn narrative😎

Is what it is. Not posting this for point counterpoint as I “get” the take. But just feels like setting them up for failure. Theyre really an underdog at the moment and i prefer it that way🤓
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

<snip>

As usual, the media prematurely creating hype for no other reason than creating material. I suppose media in general but sports media loves to make quick takes.
<snip>

Yup, it's inevitable, any talk of the Lakers translates into more clicks than e.g. talk about Utah or OKC.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Kaoxt wrote:
slavavov wrote:

But the hype is more quiet and organic. It's not exactly the kind of hype that has surrounded the Clippers the last few years, plus no one is saying we're the overwhelming favorites in the West (we're obviously not).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Kaoxt wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Love where theyve put themselves so far but AD isnt going 35-40 points a night every night, and team has zero reliable big man depth behind him. They also still dont have a winning record vs teams over .500 while playing in one of the weakest years (or parity laden) i can remember for the western conference. I suppose that last bit i said can be spun for the espn narrative😎

Is what it is. Not posting this for point counterpoint as I “get” the take. But just feels like setting them up for failure. Theyre really an underdog at the moment and i prefer it that way🤓
Main reason why media is hyping the Lakers ***IS*** because the are “The Lakers.”

In addition, there are no dominant teams in the Western Conference with Steven A saying that the Dubs are a more legitimate title-contending team purely on Steph and Klay

NBA Game Team has the Dubs because Wiggins return will correct their Jekyll and Hyde performance via providing D

Lastly, Rob (kudos to him!!) for restructuring this team from top to bottom that now provides shooting and talent that doesn’t require AD/LBJ to *Always* play heavy minutes - hence limiting the circumstances that would lead to injuries

If the Lakers can get to 6th that would have then play the Kings, door opens up wide to going much deeper into the playoffs

If the Dubs play the Grizzs, Dubs will be in trouble
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Kaoxt wrote:
slavavov wrote:

The Lakers played the Bucks, Celtics, Sixers pretty close this year and that's with the old trash roster. Losing record against >.500 teams doesn't really matter imo.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Kaoxt wrote:
slavavov wrote:

The Lakers played the Bucks, Celtics, Sixers pretty close this year and that's with the old trash roster. Losing record against >.500 teams doesn't really matter imo.
True

However, they have to get to The Finals with matchups being key

Seems like KD/Booker/CP3's Suns would provide the most daunting matchup because of KD

KD guarded by Vando/Rui/Gabriel
Booker - guarded by Vando/DLo/Brown
CP3 - guarded by DLo/DS/Brown
Ayton - guarded by AD/Rui/Gabriel/Bamba(???)
Okogie - guarded by LBJ/Vando/Rui/Gabriel
Craig - guarded by DLo/DS/Brown
Warren - guarded by DLo/DS/Brown
Biyombo - AD/Rui/Bamba

Lakers will have to make KD/Booker play long and hard minutes while being defended by waves and waves of defenders against them.
Force CP3 and others to beat them by their shooting
Have AD keep Ayton out of the paint
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are way behind other teams when it comes to cohesiveness, so... it's unlikely they make it all the way to the finals.

But..

The roster is absolutely good enough to make it happen. I think Bamba needs to make it back for them to have the best shot.. just being able to give AD a rest without worrying about no rim protection against some teams.

They're also learning to play bigger with Rui and LeBron on the floor at the same time.. it's fun stuff.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject:

SGSD32 wrote:
The Lakers are way behind other teams when it comes to cohesiveness, so... it's unlikely they make it all the way to the finals.

But..

The roster is absolutely good enough to make it happen. I think Bamba needs to make it back for them to have the best shot.. just being able to give AD a rest without worrying about no rim protection against some teams.

They're also learning to play bigger with Rui and LeBron on the floor at the same time.. it's fun stuff.

Good points.

There is an element of force when Rui/Lebron share the floor. Need more of that moving forward.

Optimal trios for staggering core 4, imo:
DLO/Reaves/AD
Schroder/Lebron/Rui
Reaves/Beasley/Lebron
DLO/Vanderbilt/Lebron
Schroder/Reaves/AD
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: