Defense is improving

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Defense is improving

The Lakers are currently #10 in defensive efficiency. The last three games they are #2. Not bad considering all of the new players and injuries.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

We're getting there.
As long as LeBron is healthy to handle the offensive side of things, we're in a good shape.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
We're getting there.
As long as LeBron is healthy to handle the offensive side of things, we're in a good shape.

Playing elite D gives you a margin of error on offense. The last 8-10 games, we're getting elite D. Went from 19th in the D standings, to top 10 (9) within 3 weeks. A few changes by Vogel, and guys getting Vogel's schemes.

It all starts with Lebron. Since the Kings 3OT game, he has had a little extra juice on both ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject:

We almost lost to a .500 team without one of the top ten players in the league.

If Kleber and Porzingis don't play Keystone Kops with the rebound and THJ didn't make about three dumb plays, that was a loss.

As I've said, I think we make the playoffs but that wasn't yet a sign of being a title contender... it was surviving a game because Reaves went nuclear.

I'm excited about Reaves... that was my only takeaway... trade one of the old dudes and start rebuilding.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

Yeah the mavs just didn’t make shots. I saw a ton of wide open looks miss that normally wouldn’t. This team still isn’t playing championship level defense.

Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

This was the first win against a team over .500 since November 10th. I don't put too much stock in this YET. The competition we've played against the last 4 weeks should make us look better statistically on that end.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

Just stack wins and get better every game.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
This was the first win against a team over .500 since November 10th. I don't put too much stock in this YET. The competition we've played against the last 4 weeks should make us look better statistically on that end.

Their best player was out as well, but the eye test says they are improving on D.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

Their best player was out as well, but the eye test says they are improving on D.

Agreed.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

Mavs were missing Luka. Meanwhile Lakers were missing 5 rotation players.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Was improving.

We just signed Isiah Thomas.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Aren't we paying IT about 1/200th of what we are paying Russ?

Russ has been better recently... but I'm pretty sure IT will contribute whatever 200k he earns if he gets some minutes.

I don't get why people hate this guy so much.

I give Bron credit for this one... nothing to lose. If he looks good you can set him up for next season... if he looks bad, nothing lost.

Maybe he'll get KLove on a buyout.
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Can't judge this defense until we play Warriors, Suns, or Nets.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Tomorrow will be a good test. Minnesota has good offensive talent.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

As long as they can keep counting on teams to miss wide open shots, the defensive efficiency is going to soar
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
As long as they can keep counting on teams to miss wide open shots, the defensive efficiency is going to soar

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Our defense has not gotten any better 😂

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

ScHoolBoy B wrote:
Can't judge this defense until we play Warriors, Suns, or Nets.

That’s AP Calculus. We’re still mastering Trig. No doubt our current defensive proclivity isn’t sufficient to tackle those monsters. But we’re trending in the right direction.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Our defense has not gotten any better 😂

unless you read the stats.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

That’s not the only measure, though. Our defense looks a lot more organized than it did earlier in the season. There were times when it seemed like opponents were running layup drills.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject:

Our defense has nothing to do with schemes or personnel. We are old and give no effort. We give up wide open 3’s because we don’t have the motor to get out and contest regularly. We have zero motor and that’s also how teams just regularly out rebound us and get second chance after second chance.

The only way this team wins this year is if the team is just coasting right now and they think they can turn it on when the games matter. I just don’t think they can. The issues with this team cannot be fixed by a trade or coaching change. We have plenty of talent. We just don’t want it.

We can spend all day looking at stats for or against the improvement of our defense but use your eyes. Good defensive teams don’t give up wide open shots as often as we do. Good defensive teams don’t get out worked on the offensive glass as often as we do. Those things can only be fixed with effort!

These less talented teams are just out working us lol these young players are just getting to the ball faster and giving extra effort. That’s why towns is killing AD…he’s hungry and he wants it. Meanwhile AD acts like he dgaf.

We gotta want it and our team don’t want it

fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Our defense has nothing to do with schemes or personnel. We are old and give no effort. We give up wide open 3’s because we don’t have the motor to get out and contest regularly. We have zero motor and that’s also how teams just regularly out rebound us and get second chance after second chance.

The only way this team wins this year is if the team is just coasting right now and they think they can turn it on when the games matter. I just don’t think they can. The issues with this team cannot be fixed by a trade or coaching change. We have plenty of talent. We just don’t want it.

We can spend all day looking at stats for or against the improvement of our defense but use your eyes. Good defensive teams don’t give up wide open shots as often as we do. Good defensive teams don’t get out worked on the offensive glass as often as we do. Those things can only be fixed with effort!

These less talented teams are just out working us lol these young players are just getting to the ball faster and giving extra effort. That’s why towns is killing AD…he’s hungry and he wants it. Meanwhile AD acts like he dgaf.

Are there any player moves that fixes this? Ideally if the price on Simmons drops before deadline I wish a Russ, THT, 1st and fuller deal were enough. We need the defensive versatility as a big and ability to take pressure off LBJ getting to the rim. I can deal with some missed layups from Russ, but if players aren't inspired by his motor on offense we're missing out. We need defensive ability and intensity from somewhere.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

We're actually up tp 7th in the NBA now, according to Bref. And this is nothing. I don't think we're even close to the defense we can play with a healthy lineup that has a rotation of no Melo (or few minutes for Melo), no DeAndre, only one of Ellington/Monk.

Basically - Dwight, Ariza, Avery, Reaves, THT, Nunn around the big 3. Not a single less than "average" defender there, and some above average. We've been playing defenders like Melo, DAJ, Monk, Ellington etc. a lot more than we should be. To really lock in, we need our best defenders. Then I think we'll be able to really see some great D.

Remains to be seen if this team can ever get a healthy rotation of the above guys I mentioned and the big 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Are there any player moves that fixes this? Ideally if the price on Simmons drops before deadline I wish a Russ, THT, 1st and fuller deal were enough. We need the defensive versatility as a big and ability to take pressure off LBJ getting to the rim. I can deal with some missed layups from Russ, but if players aren't inspired by his motor on offense we're missing out. We need defensive ability and intensity from somewhere.

I think we need more than just Simmons to fix our issues

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: