RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHICH PICK DO YOU DISAGREE
Bill Russell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wilt Chamberlain
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Dennis Rodman
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Michael Jordan
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Ben Wallace
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 8

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

Metta Sandiford-Artest made an appearance on the “Getcha Popcorn Ready” podcast. Among many other topics, Metta even spoke about some great defensive players. When asked to name his list of the 5 greatest defensive players, the 1-time All-Star revealed:

“Bill Russell gotta be No. 1. Then, you probably gotta have Wilt [Chamberlain] with 26 defensive rebounds. [Dennis] Rodman — he’s incredible. Then, probably Michael Jordan…”

Artest was then asked:

“Is Kobe one of the top defensive guys?”

To which the 41-year-old answered:

“I don’t think Kobe is as good of a defender as Michael Jordan. I think I’ve seen Jordan differently because I looked up to Jordan’s defence. Like when I was watching Jordan, I was like, ‘His offence is incredible. I’m not even gonna try to accomplish that.’ But his defence is like… I would watch him play defence. He’s just locking guys up…”

The former forward continued with his answer:

“If I had to pick one more, Ben Wallace is an amazing defender. [Scottie] Pippen is an amazing defender but I’m not sure he’s better than Rodman or Jordan.”

Full Interview
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject:

hard to argue with the list, but I'd have to put Kareem ahead of Ben Wallace.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:

As always, it's hard to compare players across eras. But I'm really at a loss to understand why Ron Freaking Artest's opinion deserves its own thread.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
As always, it's hard to compare players across eras. But I'm really at a loss to understand why Ron Freaking Artest's opinion deserves its own thread.

Haven't we had random threads on the random opinions of random current and former Lakers players on here since forever?

The question we should all be asking is why did he leave Michael Cooper off this list?
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

JUST-MING wrote:
Metta Sandiford-Artest made an appearance on the “Getcha Popcorn Ready” podcast. Among many other topics, Metta even spoke about some great defensive players. When asked to name his list of the 5 greatest defensive players, the 1-time All-Star revealed:

“Bill Russell gotta be No. 1. Then, you probably gotta have Wilt [Chamberlain] with 26 defensive rebounds. [Dennis] Rodman — he’s incredible. Then, probably Michael Jordan…”

Artest was then asked:

“I don’t think Kobe is as good of a defender as Michael Jordan. I think I’ve seen Jordan differently because I looked up to Jordan’s defence. Like when I was watching Jordan, I was like, ‘His offence is incredible. I’m not even gonna try to accomplish that.’ But his defence is like… I would watch him play defence. He’s just locking guys up…”

“If I had to pick one more, Ben Wallace is an amazing defender. [Scottie] Pippen is an amazing defender but I’m not sure he’s better than Rodman or Jordan.”

Full Interview

Piston Rodman was an amazing defender. His Chicago Bulls days somewhat overshadowed his off the charts motor and defensive pressure with the Bad Boys.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Wilt block
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject:

why not? Ron Ron got us #16 almost single handedly. he's a proud Laker!

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Was Michael Jordan really that good of a defender, or is it just that it was good for someone who was an offensive superstar? Was he better than Pippen?

Ben Wallace over Olajuwon, Mutombo, and Dwight?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Kobe was a way better defender than Mike. Mike had trouble with Fast, athleticism, and the post. That's not same for Kobe. Not saying Kobe wasn't getting scored on, I'm saying Kobe handled all types of style of players better, 1 on 1, defensively.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

JUST-MING wrote:

Artest was then asked:

Full Interview

Wilt, Russell, Rodman, Jordan and Wallace are as good a list as any. If I had to drop one guy off that list it would be Wilt. Great defender, but I think there are better defensive centers.

I could also argue for Payton, Garnett, Robinson, Pippen, Kareem, Hakeem and Mutumbo.

Kobe was a very good defender, but I would put Michael Cooper and Sidney Moncrief ahead of him myself.

Also, it sounds like Artest was just talking off the top of his head. Ask him tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if his top 5 had three different guys.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

activeverb wrote:

Wilt, Russell, Rodman, Jordan and Wallace are as good a list as any. If I had to drop one guy off that list it would be Wilt. Great defender, but I think there are better defensive centers.

I could also argue for Payton, Garnett, Robinson, Pippen, Kareem, Hakeem and Mutumbo.

Kobe was a very good defender, but I would put Michael Cooper and Sidney Moncrief ahead of him myself.

Also, it sounds like Artest was just talking off the top of his head. Ask him tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if his top 5 had three different guys.

A few years ago I'd agree with you, but after reading about his pick up game post retirement vs Magic & co, now I have him at the top of my list. Bill Rusell would be more a defense leader and Wilt as the top dog.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

His list is a pretty good one, hard to argue with. There are a few other top 10 guys that could be on the list as well and I’m not sure if the order really matters much.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Artest was then asked:

Full Interview

Is Duncan not on the same level as the guys you listed?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

By basic metrics, advanced metrics, eye test and team success; Duncan is probably the best defender of the modern era. Too hard to gauge Russell.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject:

Wasn't Dream better than Ben Wallace and MJ as a defender?
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject:

Just a question for those who were there...was Wilt considered an all-time defender? No need to quote stats or anything, just wondering if that is well-understood that he's way way up there in defensive greatness. I know of Russell's rep.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

I might have Ron Arrest and GP as a couple of good wing and pg defender.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Hakeem over wallace
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

wow, dissed

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2021/10/07/nba-75th-anniversary-kobe-bryant-does-not-make-list-top-10-players/6023157001/
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Artest was then asked:

Full Interview

You got to draw the arbitrary line somewhere.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RON ARTEST HAS ONLY ONE LAKER IN TOP FIVE DEFENDERS

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Artest was then asked:

Full Interview

You got to draw the arbitrary line somewhere.

KG was a better defender than Duncan?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: