Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: 2025

So a cap spike is expected in 2025 with a new TV deal. I imagine Lebron will be off the books by then and AD contract is up for renewal if he doesn't opt-out or extend before then. It wouldn't make financial sense for him to do so as his maximum salary is tied to the cap.

Notable free agents in 2025 that will still be in their prime include Giannis, Tatum (PO), Mitchell (PO), Ingram, Murray, Simmons, with Ball and Onunoby a tier below. With the exception of Giannis, their respective maxes will only be 30% of the cap barring a significant change in the CBA which makes it more practical to fit 2 of them alongside AD.

Interestingly, ESPN just came out with an article about the decreasing value of cap space when recruiting mega FAs. You could argue LA is exception with their draw historically and with them having re-established themselves as a FA destination.

It will be interesting to see how the FO plays out the next few off-seasons. Because it is still 4 years down the line, they may have the luxury of milking Lebron while planning ahead for the post-Lebron era.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

I'll take one Tatum and Giannis to pair with a gracefully aging AD, thank you.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

Probably too much overlap there...I'm thinking more along the lines of AD, one of Giannis/Tatum/Ingram/Simmons and one of Murray/Mitchell/Ball/Onunoby. For the sake of fit, Ball/Onunoby might make more sense as a #3 with their lower usage game but I don't know how you turn down Murray or Mitchell if they're willing to come.

Last edited by gng930 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject:

Tatum will fulfill his destiny wearing the purple & gold, just as Kobe secretly planned.

Him, alongside AD, will bring championships #20 and #21 home.

I'm speaking it into existence.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2025

gng930 wrote:
So a cap spike is expected in 2025 with a new TV deal. I imagine Lebron will be off the books by then and AD contract is up for renewal if he doesn't opt-out or extend before then. It wouldn't make financial sense for him to do so as his maximum salary is tied to the cap.

Notable free agents in 2025 that will still be in their prime include Giannis, Tatum (PO), Mitchell (PO), Ingram, Murray, Simmons, with Ball and Onunoby a tier below. With the exception of Giannis, their respective maxes will only be 30% of the cap barring a significant change in the CBA which makes it more practical to fit 2 of them alongside AD.

Interestingly, ESPN just came out with an article about the decreasing value of cap space when recruiting mega FAs. You could argue LA is exception with their draw historically and with them having re-established themselves as a FA destination.

It will be interesting to see how the FO plays out the next few off-seasons. Because it is still 4 years down the line, they may have the luxury of milking Lebron while planning ahead for the post-Lebron era.

It's way too early to predict how things might shake out.

In 2025, AD could also become a free agent and seek a new destination.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Davis will be 32 in the summer of 2025. It's anyone's guess how well a player like Davis will age. Most big men are in decline by that age, though the rate of decline varies. It's also anyone's guess whether Davis will be a magnet for other free agents.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Tatum will fulfill his destiny wearing the purple & gold, just as Kobe secretly planned.

Him, alongside AD, will bring championships #20 and #21 home.

I'm speaking it into existence.

Powerful. I felt that over hereā€¦

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: