Former Laker Cedric Ceballos in ICU with Covid
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

And I have another bone to pick with the C-deniers and the anti-vaxxers. They are really quick to tell you that 98.5% of people who get COVID survive. They consider 1.5% some sort of acceptable loss. But when you give them the ACTUAL NUMBER that 1.5% represents, they call it fake news. They won't believe you. We just crossed over into 40 MILLION people in the United States being struck by COVID since it arrived. 1.5% of 40 MILLION - 600,000 people dead. Just going off THEIR numbers that COVID is survived 98.5% of the time, that's 600,000 people...dead. But they won't receive the actual number.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Barry Seal wrote:
Hey guys, I contracted COVID in March of 2020. In the ICU for 2 months and on a ventilator for a month. I’m vaccinated and currently suffering the effects of long COVID

Wow. Glad you made it through!
lasde
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Man, I hope Ced recovers. The mid-90's Lake Show Lakers were fun to watch, and always matched up well against the MJ Bulls.

I, along with about 20 of my colleagues, contracted some of the very first cases of COVID in the USA before anyone even knew what it was back in January 2020 after a couple colleagues came back from China. It basically knocked me out for 6 weeks. The first 2 weeks, amongst the 103° fever, loss of taste and smell, I could not take a breath without having a horrible, uncontrollable hacking cough. I literally could not sleep for 2 weeks straight. I started to get better in week 3, but week 4 I relapsed and went through the same cycle again until week 6 when I finally started feeling normal again. In my trips to urgent care, I got tested for the flu, strep throat, pneumonia, which were all negative. I was told by the doctors that there was a nasty, unknown virus going around and I likely had it. I've had the flu before in my life. This was different, and put the flu to shame. Luckily I'm a mid-40's, healthy guy. But during those first few weeks, I remember saying to myself I now understand how people can die from the flu. It was awful.

When vaccines became available, everyone in my company got them, except for 1 guy that bought into all the "vaccines are bad" nonsense. My company was considered an "essential business" so we continued to operate as normal with the addition of mask wearing and social distancing. That one anti-vax guy ended up getting the UK variant and now has permanent lung damage and heart damage. No one else at the company contracted the UK variant or has been sick since. One of his lungs is partially paralyzed and he will need to get a pacemaker to correct an irregular heartbeat because of the virus. He now seriously regrets listening to the people of like mind with the Robz's and GameCock-MD's sister and BIL's of the world.

I don't care if someone doesn't want to get the vaccine. That's their own personal choice. I will never be for mandates on them. But if you're against vaccines, just shut the bleep up and stop trying to justify how smart you are by spreading utter nonsense. You are not more knowledgeable than doctors and other people who have spent their entire professional careers studying viruses.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

The unvaccinated infect the unvaccinated. If you're vaccinated then what are you worried about? Are you worried the vaccine isn't effective?

I really don't think you are trying to make the argument that it's okay to be complicit in the deaths of others by spreading a contagious disease, but that's pretty much what you are saying. There is a large population who would like the vaccine but cannot have it. Whether because of their health or their age.

How do you think this statement would play to the parents of the 59 children in Texas who recently died from Covid? Picture yourself saying that to those parents.

Additionally, the vaccines work for now, but the lungs of the unvaccinated are a mother(bleep)ing petri dish to develop the next variants -- the ones that our current vaccines may not protect people against. The more the unvaxxed let this fester, the more likelihood we drop another 600,000 deaths to another variant.

The argument about obesity or second hand smoke, etc... seriously? It's almost not even worth conversing about. Why not make a comparison to Polio, Smallpox or something remotely contagious/relevant?

The thing about deadly contagious viruses is that it's not just a personal choice to have a deadly contagious virus or not. You pick it up from someone, you spread it to someone... someone down the line gets killed from it.

Don't wear a mask to protect yourself. Wear it to protect someone else. Don't get a vaccine to just protect yourself, do it to protect someone else. Want to know what's patriotic? Doing that for our fellow Americans. Most damn patriotic thing I've done in the past few years is get jabbed for family, for community, for country.

Even though we still lose 1,000+ a day, the reason why it's not 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 a day is because of patriots who got the vaccine.

Much love to you, my brother, but get vaxxed. I don't want you to not be posting here because it took you down. I don't want you to be spreading it unknowingly to someone down the line who dies from it. You see the real pain it caused to those in this thread whose loved ones died from it. It's a damn tragedy.

Much love, my brother.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

The unvaccinated infect the unvaccinated. If you're vaccinated then what are you worried about? Are you worried the vaccine isn't effective?

I really don't think you are trying to make the argument that it's okay to be complicit in the deaths of others by spreading a contagious disease, but that's pretty much what you are saying. There is a large population who would like the vaccine but cannot have it. Whether because of their health or their age.

How do you think this statement would play to the parents of the 59 children in Texas who recently died from Covid? Picture yourself saying that to those parents.

Additionally, the vaccines work for now, but the lungs of the unvaccinated are a mother(bleep)ing petri dish to develop the next variants -- the ones that our current vaccines may not protect people against. The more the unvaxxed let this fester, the more likelihood we drop another 600,000 deaths to another variant.

The argument about obesity or second hand smoke, etc... seriously? It's almost not even worth conversing about. Why not make a comparison to Polio, Smallpox or something remotely contagious/relevant?

The thing about deadly contagious viruses is that it's not just a personal choice to have a deadly contagious virus or not. You pick it up from someone, you spread it to someone... someone down the line gets killed from it.

Don't wear a mask to protect yourself. Wear it to protect someone else. Don't get a vaccine to just protect yourself, do it to protect someone else. Want to know what's patriotic? Doing that for our fellow Americans. Most damn patriotic thing I've done in the past few years is get jabbed for family, for community, for country.

Even though we still lose 1,000+ a day, the reason why it's not 2,000, 5,000, 10,000 a day is because of patriots who got the vaccine.

Much love to you, my brother, but get vaxxed. I don't want you to not be posting here because it took you down. I don't want you to be spreading it unknowingly to someone down the line who dies from it. You see the real pain it caused to those in this thread whose loved ones died from it. It's a damn tragedy.

Much love, my brother.

This post deserves recognition. You said this so eloquently. You can’t argue with the logic here. People that do are just stupid, plain stupid. The could have a second grade education or a PhD but still stupid if they don’t agree with the logic here.
I think the problem this time around is folks [inappropriate comment deleted -CL] have made this a political statement here about COVID. There are no politics to discuss….there is a deadly virus and you don’t need to take sides, you need to do what’s right. Sadly, some people have zero common sense.
Great post again.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject:

You can tell that anti-vaxxers like Robz are brainwashed because of their lack of logic and how they cherry-pick facts out of context. I think at the end of the day, for these people, it's not necessarily about COVID. It's about owning the libs, so they dig in and stay within their echo chamber and stick to confirmation bias.

Get well soon Cedric Ceballos. When I started to get into the Lakers and the NBA he was arguably our best player. Anti-vax or not, I do not want anyone to be hospitalized or die from COVID.

Last edited by slavavov on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Too many people screwing around and not acting like adults. Reality is this was never supposed to be a left or right issue, it was about life or death. People who choose death choose to spread anti-vaxx messages, people who choose life tell their friends and family to get vaccinated so they don't have to experience the pain of losing a loved one.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Much love, my brother.

Amen
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

The anti-vaxxers have been proven wrong. The data is overwhelming. It's okay to be wrong. I've been wrong about a lot of things in my life. I'll be wrong about a lot more. It's okay. Take a breath and say you were wrong. No one should hold it against you. However, digging in in the face of facts. Searching high and low, trying to find something to justify your position. That's an egregious error in judgment.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject:

irielight wrote:
The anti-vaxxers have been proven wrong. The data is overwhelming. It's okay to be wrong. I've been wrong about a lot of things in my life. I'll be wrong about a lot more. It's okay. Take a breath and say you were wrong. No one should hold it against you. However, digging in in the face of facts. Searching high and low, trying to find something to justify your position. That's an egregious error in judgment.

I don't even care if they don't admit their wrongs...just stop trying to pull everybody over the cliff with them. These people have shown an extraordinary willingness to sacrifice themselves, their children, their parents, their grandparents...all to own the libs. It's a kamikaze-lite mentality.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
irielight wrote:

I don't even care if they don't admit their wrongs...just stop trying to pull everybody over the cliff with them. These people have shown an extraordinary willingness to sacrifice themselves, their children, their parents, their grandparents...all to own the libs. It's a kamikaze-lite mentality.

I don't need them to admit it to me. They need to admit it to themselves. The narrative about owning the libs may have been a major contributor (for some) to start, but now they're just dug in. People need to understand that they can extricate themselves from this position. That it's okay to be wrong.
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Much love, my brother.

THIS^^. If any response disgareeing with any of this does not directly take on and account for each of these valid and sound points, they are not attempting to even approach honesty or good faith discourse.
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Still no updates from Cedric(at least from his social media), and this looks more serious by day, I really hope he recovers from this.

Regarding the anti vaxxers, I think we can all agree they are mostly far right groups or believers. My frustration is that they call themselves patriots everyday and even stormed the capitol building, but they will not get the vaccines to help this country stop a pandemic?? The vaccines were developed under Trump administration, honor it!!! Trump wants you to get vaccinated too. This is NOT about politics!!!!!!
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Prayers for Cedric and his family.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject:

The GOP poisoned the well with the COVID is a hoax campaign. So many needless deaths last year and almost all deaths this year could have been prevented. I wish some athletes would do an awareness campaign for vaccination now. A lot of people in the black community are not getting vaccinated and they are at highest risk.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Barry Seal wrote:
Hey guys, I contracted COVID in March of 2020. In the ICU for 2 months and on a ventilator for a month. I’m vaccinated and currently suffering the effects of long COVID

Wow. Glad you made it through!

I was in hosp in 1st week of that month n staff were already masked. i was obv glad to avoid the Noid. i was goin nuts bein there sub 48 hrs. 2 mos is a horrid thot. the other Barry Seal got shot 37x. yer still oone up on him, nu Barry. glad u made it thru. godspeed to full recovery.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Don't let your politricks or your tinfoil hat affiliations get you into some mess you can't get out of. For example, if you're against the vaccine because it was done too fast and is experimental, yet you'll stand in line at a feed store to get some stuff made for livestock that helps them poop out worms, you might wanna re-evaluate your life.

Thank you. Perfectly stated.
Stupid people being misinformed by misinformation and are too stupid to read the facts about the vaccine.
The vaccine will save your life - it's not meant as a political statement, its a health statement....
Just like the dumbass red necks that walk into Walmart, defiantly, without a mask, just to look, well, stupid as hell.
The fact is, the virus kills and doesn't discriminate. If you do get the vaccine, you have a better chance of not getting really sick or worse, dying...
It's sad that its a GOP/uneducated people thing now.....

I’m surprised the mods haven’t locked this thread already. What should be a lovely “I hope Cedric gets better” message has become a venue to pronounce why one side is foolish, wrongheaded and ignorant. Apparently, when there is agreement by those who moderate around here, the “no politics” policy is suspended. I’m not surprised .
This website has become an echo chamber, dominated by a few opinions. I stopped coming by years ago, I would bet I’m not the only one.
irielight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Don't let your politricks or your tinfoil hat affiliations get you into some mess you can't get out of. For example, if you're against the vaccine because it was done too fast and is experimental, yet you'll stand in line at a feed store to get some stuff made for livestock that helps them poop out worms, you might wanna re-evaluate your life.

Stupid people being misinformed by misinformation and are too stupid to read the facts about the vaccine.
The vaccine will save your life - it's not meant as a political statement, its a health statement....
Just like the dumbass red necks that walk into Walmart, defiantly, without a mask, just to look, well, stupid as hell.
The fact is, the virus kills and doesn't discriminate. If you do get the vaccine, you have a better chance of not getting really sick or worse, dying...

I’m surprised the mods haven’t locked this thread already. What should be a lovely “I hope Cedric gets better” message has become a venue to pronounce why one side is foolish, wrongheaded and ignorant. Apparently, when there is agreement by those who moderate around here, the “no politics” policy is suspended. I’m not surprised .
This website has become an echo chamber, dominated by a few opinions. I stopped coming by years ago, I would bet I’m not the only one.

Here's the thing. I'm also a little surprised as well because some posters have pushed the envelope and engaged in political discussion. However, if you read mods posts, the reason it's allowed is because the issue should not be political, and I agree wholeheartedly. It's not. Your post bolded two statements. The one that mentioned the GOP is political. The other was not (though you could argue the stupid red necks comment was out of line). People who walk into stores without masks to make a "statement" are selfish jerks who are endangering the lives of others. It should be called out. And if you don't agree with that (not saying that's the case, but you seem to be implying it), you're a part of the problem. We can only move past this when everyone starts taking it like the serious issue that it is. It's time. Too many have lost their lives already.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Yeah, this forum is cringe outside of lakers' talk, I still frequently visit out of habit, but the echo chamber I see (including from mods) makes this site unbearable at times. It's very obnoxious how many people here pretend to be experts. Not really shocked that people have stopped visiting this forum.
BigJosh951
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject:

kevin61 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Funny how so many people stop coming to the site and yet are posting.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

DB said it best
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject:

BigJosh951 wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Funny how so many people stop coming to the site and yet are posting.

Check my history, I stopped posting, with few exceptions, two or three years ago. It’s an old boys club, with a handful of users posting hundreds, if not thousands of times a month. I originally signed up in 2005 and donated money on a couple occasions for server upgrades. The site owner has every right to run things as he wishes. It’s patrons are free to vote with their feet if they’re not happy, that’s what I did.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Yeah, this forum is cringe outside of lakers' talk, I still frequently visit out of habit, but the echo chamber I see (including from mods) makes this site unbearable at times. It's very obnoxious how many people here pretend to be experts. Not really shocked that people have stopped visiting this forum.

I’ve personally been vaccinated three times so I’m hardly an anti-vaxxer. But the ad hominem attacks on those people who disagree about the line between safety and personal liberty is typical of a mindset that is consumed by politics in every area of life and looks upon those who disagree as evil or stupid. This has no business in a basketball forum. The fact that it is allowed tells me that the moderators wish it to be.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
kevin61 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Kevin and xxs.....so true! We are in the mess we are in, in part, because of the clueless sheep that believe everything they hear/read from mainstream media. Try and post an alternative source on here for discussion, and you get (bleep) on. No conversation, you are just bleeping stupid they say. Present them with doctors....LICENSED MDs......who have successfully treated their Covid patients with natural supplements and/or Ivermectin, and they call them "quakes". Why don't you call these doctors and ask them?????? Two examples are Drs. David Brownstein and Vladimir Zelenko.

They say WE are the problem, when in fact THEY are the problem! THEY are the stupid ones, not US......got that, hoopschick?

Well, you President Trump haters (how's your guy, Biden doing by the way?) and pro-experimental "vaccine" folks......you will be sorry one day when your so-called "experts" are arrested.

Anyway, I know I'm talking to the WALL. This site is run by the same idiots who voted for Biden/Harris.....and who STILL think these two corrupt clowns are doing a great job. Harsh words......but you can't stop calling us stupid, so you deserve it.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I remember watching Cedric on the Amazing Race and he was wheezing walking up a hill. I thought to myself, how does an elite athlete fall so far so quickly? I really hope he's okay but it doesn't sound good.

My condolences to GamecockMD. It's good that you are at least trying to be understanding of your other family members position even though they are completely delusional. Most would immediately cut them off or scream at them in a blind rage but although they deserve it, it's probably better to try to solve it over time as it mirrors a problem our entire country faces.

I find it painfully ironic that the same people who can't stomach the idea of losing one police officer to defunding, are the same people who think a disease that killed 659,000 should run its course.

So it's okay to have our freedoms constantly inhibited by police when there are only 20,000 homicides per year... but not when 659,000 die?

Even if our homicide rate went up 30 times it wouldn't cause the pain and suffering that CoVid caused but no... gotta have those police.

I'm not even advocating for defunding... I don't hate the police... I'm just pointing out the absurdity of finding police constantly monitoring everything we do okay and yet letting Covid run its course.

You can't have it both ways and not be full of ish.

Either you are a true libertarian and don't want any government in your face... or you should accept the need for both police and health standards.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: