WNBA's 25 greatest players -- Who are the 25th best Lakers?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: WNBA's 25 greatest players -- Who are the 25th best Lakers?

The WNBA came out with their list of the 25 greatest players, including both current players and retired. What I found interesting was their criteria list. Selections had to met at least 4 of the 7 following requirements. Adjusting to the NBA, based off of these 7 areas, who would be the 25 greatest Lakers? Obviously the game is different now than it was in the 1960's, but the broadness of the categories should allow the 60's stars on the list.

This is a numbered list, but not ranked, so it isn't who is higher, but who is on the list. The WNBA required two years minimum in the league, so no rookies or one year players.

1. Win a major individual award - MVP, comeback, 6th man, finals MVP, etc.

2. All NBA first or second team selection

3. All NBA defensive player first or second team selection

4. Allstar selection

5. NBA Championship

6. Be in current top forty career leader in at least one major category: points, assists, rebounds, etc.

7. NBA award for community service (or maybe other relevant NBA community award)
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I modified it, to make the question easier, and Lakers related.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Here is my list, based on their accomplishments as Lakers.

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Magic Johnson
3. Jerry West
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5. Elgin Baylor
6. Shaquille O'Neal
7. George Mikan
8. Wilt Chamberlain
9. Lebron James
10. Jamaal Wilkes
11. James Worthy
12. Pau Gasol
13. Gail Goodrich
14. Vern Mikkelsen
15. Slater Martin
16. Jim Pollard
17. Michael Cooper
18. Byron Scott
19. Rudy LaRusso
20. Norm Nixon
21. Anthony Davis
22. Happy Hairston
23. AC Green
24. Derek Fisher
25. Lamar Odom

I made up the list without worrying about whether they fit your criteria. To make your criteria work, you'd have to include a bunch of guys who made pit stops with the Lakers but accumulated most of their accomplishments with other teams -- Adrian Dantley, Bob McAdoo, Spencer Haywood, Zelmo Beatty, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman, Mitch Richmond. Then it changes from a list of Greatest Lakers to a list of Greatest NBA players who were ever on a Lakers roster.

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I ran into trouble, because there are not 25 Lakers with at least 4 of those 7 items listed above: I added players who played for the Lakers, but won some of their accolades elsewhere or were still all time Laker greats:

Kareem
Lebron
Kobe
Wilt
Shaq
Jerry W.
Elign B.
Magic
Dwight
Worthy
McAdoo
AD
Russ
Pau
Odom
Goodrich
Wilkes
Cooper
Eddie Jones
AC Green
Adrian Dantley
MWP
Nixon
Harriston
Mikan
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I ran into trouble, because there are not 25 Lakers with at least 4 of those 7 items listed above:

Out of curiosity, why did you pick this particular formula to rank players?

It's not what I would have used.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject:

It was the WNBA's formula for their league, which I think ahs been around 16-18 years. At first, i was going to use it for an NBA list, but it there are just too many players in the NBA over too many years to easily pick and choose how many satisfied the required categories. So I made it about the Lakers. I think you can get close to 15 Lakers who meet the criteria, but you have to start using players like Dwight, Westbrook, etc. who made it through their years with other teams.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
It was the WNBA's formula for their league, which I think ahs been around 16-18 years. At first, i was going to use it for an NBA list, but it there are just too many players in the NBA over too many years to easily pick and choose how many satisfied the required categories. So I made it about the Lakers. I think you can get close to 15 Lakers who meet the criteria, but you have to start using players like Dwight, Westbrook, etc. who made it through their years with other teams.

The criteria doesn't work when applied to a single team. It just becomes an exercise in struggling to find Lakers who fit the criteria, rather than the criteria revealing who the best Lakers are.

So your list really isn't the best lakers, it's the best players who were ever on a Lakers roster, even if they were crappy when they were on the roster
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: