Lakers you originally disliked but grew to love and vice versa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Lakers you originally disliked but grew to love and vice versa

Disliked but grew to love: Dwight, Rondo, LeBron, KCP

Loved but grew to dislike: Pau Gasol, Fisher, Farmar, Vujacic, Turiaf, Byron Scott (as coach), Magic Johnson (as President).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers you originally disliked but grew to love and vice versa

CandyCanes wrote:

Loved but grew to dislike: Pau Gasol, Fisher, Farmar, Vujacic, Turiaf, Byron Scott (as coach), Magic Johnson (as President).

I don't have the antipathy for opposing players that some fans do, so I can't recall an opposing player I disliked but then liked when he joined the Lakers.

How you grew to dislike Gasol puzzles me. I liked Magic as a player, but have never liked Magic as a GM, coach, manager or commentator.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers you originally disliked but grew to love and vice versa

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I don't have the antipathy for opposing players that some fans do, so I can't recall an opposing player I disliked but then liked when he joined the Lakers.

How you grew to dislike Gasol puzzles me. I liked Magic as a player, but have never liked Magic as a GM, coach, manager or commentator.

Pau refused to show up in the 2011 playoffs, where we were swept by the Mavs. He then didn’t show up under Mike Brown, sulked under D’Antoni in 2012-13, and then again in 2013-2014 as the #1 option with Kobe injured. Then he left the franchise that had given him everything for the Bulls and magically returned to form.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Pau refused to show up in the 2011 playoffs, where we were swept by the Mavs. He then didn’t show up under Mike Brown, sulked under D’Antoni in 2012-13, and then again in 2013-2014 as the #1 option with Kobe injured. Then he left the franchise that had given him everything for the Bulls and magically returned to form.

I have to admit I chuckled at the line, "he left the franchise that had given him everything for the Bulls."

We traded for Gasol because it was in our self-interest to acquired him. And we won two rings with him. When we saw it in our self-interest to trade Gasol for Chris Paul, we did that without a second thought.

The trade was vetoed. And then Gasol saw it was in his self-interest to go to another team, you think that makes him the bad guy?

Funny.

Last edited by activeverb on Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Bron , Pau, fox
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I must say this:

Kobe!!

Hated the airballs, hated that we had to lose Eddie Jones (my favorite during the 90s), hated the swagger..

but got to appreciate his desire, his hard work and his hard work.

Heck, he won me over with his hard work.

I recently attended a wedding where the best man, said this about the groom: "He is the Kobe Bryant of ...." . The ... is not relevent but the rest is.

What a player.. what a hard worker. Overcame such adversity with desire.. and hard work!!

Did I say, "Hard Work"?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Bron , Pau, fox

Why didn’t you like Pau and Fox at first? (I’m guessing because the latter was a Celtic.)

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Hated Bron. Now he's 100% Lakers family.

Loved D12 on the Magic. Hated D12 when he left the first time. Loved him when he came back as D39. Felt sorry when he screwed himself out of coming back in 2020. Now I love him again.

Loved Boogie for years. Then he went to the Clippers - he is dead to me.

HATED that I loved Celtics Rondo. Loved when he became a Laker. Glad he's back.

Liked Jon Barry. Hated him when he became a Queen.

LOVED Adrian Dantley as a Laker. Hated him as a Piston.

Loved Don Nelson as a Laker. Hated him as a Celtic and DESPISED him as the Mavs head coach.

LOVED Pat Riley as Lakers Head Coach. Eff Pat Riley ever afterwards.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Ho Grant is the only one I have met and he was a cool guy. So I guess I would like him. I originally didn’t care for Artest until I found out the reason for his antics and then felt sorry for him. I can’t really say that I dislike any player, I don’t know them.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Shaq.
Kobe.
Malone.
Lebron.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

not sure about dislike, too strong but wasn't my favorite like now, Bron for sure
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I have to admit I chuckled at the line, "he left the franchise that had given him everything for the Bulls."

We traded for Gasol because it was in our self-interest to acquired him. And we won two rings with him. When we saw it in our self-interest to trade Gasol for Chris Paul, we did that without a second thought.

The trade was vetoed. And then Gasol saw it was in his self-interest to go to another team, you think that makes him the bad guy?

Funny.

Exactly…in hindsight, the Lakers screwed Pau. Dangled him in trades, not just for Chris Paul, and showed little appreciation to a guy that helped bring two championships to the Lakers.

That’s why the Lakers owe him a jersey in the rafters at Staples….he deserves it.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakers–Clippers_rivalry#Common_players]I hated all the Clippers.[/url]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtics–Lakers_rivalry#Common_individuals]I hated the Celtics.[/url]
I hated the Blazers too.

Shaquille shot to the top of the list after signing with the Celtics, but then he did Shaq things, ruined their chemistry, exposed himself for who he is rather than buy in for a title. Lebron fans might hate him too for doing that ish in Cleveland.

I came to like Karl Malone, 40 years old, punked Duncan and Garnett in the playoffs. Rick Fox.

I never hated Rajon Rondo, for some reason, maybe because he ruined the Celtics team chemistry, my favorite role player on the bubble team, mvp performance in game 6.

The opposite would be Maurice Lucas, Avery Bradley, Lamar Odom, etc., I never liked them while on the Lakers.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:10 am; edited 6 times in total
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

Dislike to Like: Rick Fox, he had the stench of being a Celtic. He seemed to embrace being a Laker. Shaq was also not only a great player but had such a good reputation around the league for taking care of his teammates. I blamed him for not sucking it up better with Kobe and trying to keep the dynasty going.

Like to dislike: Andrew Bynum, was terrible once he signed his new deal. Brian Grant had a great reputation around the league and just sucked the joy out of a basketball while he was here. Jordan Farmar I loved at UCLA, but I felt like he coasted most of his career and didn't become that better player he should have become.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject:

Dwight Howard is the poster boy for 'hated to loved'. I'd probably put Dudley in that category too
#18 next...
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

Dislike to like: KCP, Dwight
Like to dislike: Schro
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

like to dislike: Bynum. On and off the court, this guy was a loser.

dislike to like: LeBron. What can you say, every team he goes to becomes an immediate title contender. This guy is a winner and all time great.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

Don't know them personally , so it's got to be the vibe they emit.

Didn't care for: Trez, Schroder

Disliked him being a Laker because he was always contorting his face in an ugly manner when he got called for a foul, or something he didn't like: Cousins

Liked from the beginning (as a player, not as an executive or coach because he's got a big mouth: Magic
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Bron , Pau, fox

Why didn’t you like Pau and Fox at first? (I’m guessing because the latter was a Celtic.)

Yes Celtic and way toooo pretty, but he became one of my favorites. he was tough as nails.

Pau always seemed like an overhyped soft bigman that never won a single playoff game. However I fell in love after his first playoff game with us against the nuggs.

He was the perfect compliment to kobe.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

Interesting topic.

I’m struggling to “ like” about half the current roster. Lol.

Going to be a long season for me.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

There are lots of examples, but the two that come to mind most prominently are Karl Malone and LeBron.

While I respected his overall game, I saw Malone do lots of nasty stuff when he was with the Jazz, including this:

https://www.slamonline.com/slam-tv/isiah-thomas-still-mad-karl-malones-vicious-cheapshot-1991-video/

Once he became a Laker, I developed major respect for his game and liking of him personally. If he hadn't become injured, we might have won another title with him.

And I disliked LeBron mainly because of the Kobe comparisons, and fervently wished for him to lose in the playoffs, accordingly. I knew he was a great player, but never imagined him becoming a Laker. Now that he has brought us #17, he's a hero in my book.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject:

I really disliked Coward but he won me over again.
Also I really disliked Artest but that three changed everything.
And for players I likes and after disliked there is none. If someone is on my liking list its hard to dislike after. Maybe Josh Hart after some comments but I would take him back if there is chance.
Only person I would never take back is ex girlfriend.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

LeBron dislike to love. Rondo from dislike to like. Dwight and Matt Barnes went from very disliked to mildly disliked.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Welp Candycanes you named the 4 players I hated most then learned to admire. Dwight, LeBron, KCP and Rondo. To a much lesser extent i could add Artest to that list. Westbrook - let's see how this season progresses. Can't hate him if he's playing for the Lakers though.

Liked but learned to dislike - very few. Byron Scott fits that category because he was such a complete dick as Laker coach. Nick Young and his fake hurt feelings is a close second, but I never really admired him in the first place.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Disliked to disliked even more. Kyle Kuzma
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: