DeAndre Jordan is Officially a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cannga11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakers attempting to recreate the championship formula of Howard and McGhee rotation? It should be a close approximation. Even their FT% are simillar, or similarly atrocious. 😅

Kidding aside, for the little money we have after 3 max salaries, I love the move.

I don't expect much offensive output from him (Lakers would be in trouble if that's the expectation). Just hoping he does what McGhee did: guard the paint and rebound.

Last edited by cannga11 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:07 pm; edited 9 times in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Here's Deandre Jordan's highlights with the Nets last year. All 3 minutes of them.

mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Gasol is still the better fit with AD.

I would prefer DJ be the 3rd stringer, in case of injury.

Gasol is done. He can't even jump over a book. He couldn't even hit his 3s and was a liability on the offense.

He is not any more done than DJ, he shot 41% from the 3 last season. He outplayed Drummond in the playoffs, and his defense wasn’t terrible except he doesn’t challenge shots. DJ gives us something similar to Howard, but gasol give us a new element
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Gasol is still the better fit with AD.

I would prefer DJ be the 3rd stringer, in case of injury.

Gasol is done. He can't even jump over a book. He couldn't even hit his 3s and was a liability on the offense.

How about doing some research first.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolma01.html

Marc averaged 41% from 3s with 2.3 per game in the RS.

Playoffs? He was even better! In 5 games he averaged 64% on 7/11 attempts.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Is DJ better than Javale Mcgee?

I think with both you are in trouble if you need to play them more than 10 mpg.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

Outspoken wrote:

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

MJST wrote:
Of Gasol, Dwight and DJ.

DJ is the one that seems to have the least left in the tank. So I don't get this move. Why let Drummond walk if you're just gonna get Dwight and then Deandre Jordan.

KingKobe20 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Peak wise- DJ was much better. Much.

Today? I'd take Javale.

Two centers who made their NBA careers based off of high flying dunks and elite rim protection.

Both of them changed their diets to become extreme vegans.

Deandre still smokes a quarter pound of weed a week as Javale always struggled with asthma so never found out any information on whether he’s into pot.

Deandre still owns his beach mansion out here in So Cali and maintained all his connections and if anyone can give this guy some shock therapy and bring back his elite play it would be Lebron and Russ. I’m with 2019 I’d rather have Javale who seems to have aged much better but with that option gone I’m okay with rolling the dice on DJ

If the combination of Kyrie, Durant and Harden couldn't unlock Deandre's elite play. I doubt Russ, LeBron and AD would. Maybe he just is what he is now.

DJ - 57 G 22 MPG 7.5 PPG 7.5 RPG 1.1 BPG 76.3% FG
Gasol - 52 G 19 MPG 5.0 PPG 4.1 RPG 1.1 BPG 45.4% FG (41.0% 3-pt)
DH - 69 G 17 MPG 7.0 PPG 8.4 RPG 0.9 BPG 58.7% FG

Looks like there's plenty left in DJ's tank to me.

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Welcome DJ!!!! You are gonna feast on lobs from Westbrook and LeBron.

Why didn't he feast on lobs from Kyrie, Harden and KD?

Duh, because they are ball hogs. Ball stops with the three of them.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

DJ was better than McGee… 3 years ago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

I’m not against signing DJ, but it looks like Lakers are trying to recreate the combo of McGee/Howard from 2020. Make sense if we still had 2 shooters KCP and Danny in the wings…

But with RW as our starting PG, it makes more sense to have Gasol who can spread the floor, otherwise there would be no lanes for LeBron/RW to penetrate and AD will end up becoming a jump shooter.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:

This is nonsense of the highest order. Gasol shot 41% from 3 last season. He made 50 of 122 attempts in the regular season. These are actual facts. They are events that happened in the universe. Your opinion on whether or not he can hit 3s is fiction. Why come to a conversation with nonsense when the facts are readily available?

You can make up all sorts of nonsense about Gasol involving events that people do not keep track of. But please use facts where they are easily available.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
What other bigs are still available?

Does he still play defense? If he don’t, I’d rather get Aldridge, he don’t play D either but he can at least make jumpers and spread the floor.

He was never a good defender. He was just a good shot blocker who would wind up out of position a lot because he was hunting blocks. He can’t even block shots even more. This is a terrible pickup if the Lakers are expecting him to do anything but sit on the bench and cheer ala Robert Sacre a few years back.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Does he still play defense? If he don’t, I’d rather get Aldridge, he don’t play D either but he can at least make jumpers and spread the floor.

He was never a good defender. He was just a good shot blocker who would wind up out of position a lot because he was hunting blocks. He can’t even block shots even more. This is a terrible pickup if the Lakers are expecting him to do anything but sit on the bench and cheer ala Robert Sacre a few years back.

You lose credibility on the spot by comparing Jordan to Sacre lol
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

He was never a good defender. He was just a good shot blocker who would wind up out of position a lot because he was hunting blocks.

Kinda sounds like Javale then before he became a little decent under Vogel despite the shaqtinafools
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

That was me saying how far he’s fallen; he’s at Robert Sacre level now. He’s been done for over a year at this point. As others have noted, the Nets who were desperate for a big who could do something for them couldn’t play DJ at all. He’s an athletic big who was completely dependent on his ability to run and jump who has no athleticism and can’t run or jump anymore.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Is it possible they keep them all? I get that AD should play more 5, but nothing wrong with having options. That includes having multiple "stretch 5's" (if Gasol can go) and having two bangers on the inside.

I have no issue seeing more of AD at the 4 and then one of these guys being injury insurance in the playoffs.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

So Our bigs is

Dwight-McGee-Morris-Kuzma

Dwight-DeAndre-Gasol-Melo

Similar roles
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Rob/Kurt aka the FO have done some good things, but they’re also still new and have also made some ??? moves.

The recent report that Lakers were trying to get Damian Jones back just shows that they knew they made a mistake letting him go in favor of Drummond.

Lakers signing DJ is fine, as long as it’s not for the purpose of replacing Gasol, otherwise that’s another ??? move.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, his feet are stuck in mud at all times now. Gasol could at least hit a few 3's and play good defense against Jokic or Embiid but both Gasol & DJ are obviously going to get hunted when teams go smaller and at that point they are both kind of useless as neither provides enough to counter it imo.

I have no doubt he'll get a few dunks or easy ones but that doesn't magically negate everything else he is awful at especially at this stage of his career. This is the first signing I am not happy about at all but it is what it is so i'll just hope he plays rarely and becomes a full time cheerleader in the Playoffs.

Just kind of a weird signing with Dwight on the team already but I guess they feel the need to double down for the long season.

Last edited by hype on Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

That was me saying how far he’s fallen; he’s at Robert Sacre level now. He’s been done for over a year at this point. As others have noted, the Nets who were desperate for a big who could do something for them couldn’t play DJ at all. He’s an athletic big who was completely dependent on his ability to run and jump who has no athleticism and can’t run or jump anymore.

It seems like the notion that DJ has fallen off a cliff seems to be a hot take by fans, he averaged 7/7 this season and almost averaged a double double a year ago, No one is asking him to be a all star for us.
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Looks like he can still jump in these Nets 2020-2021 highlights:

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject:

He at least a good locker room guy right? Right? Clippers loved him. KD and Kyrie wanted him.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

I feel DJ can provide what Mcgee provided for us; Rim protecting, rebounding, easy lob points. That's why I was asking, but I didn't know if there was a gap in skillset. They seem to be the same, except, I feel McGee has a softer touch around the rim and a little more low post moves. Not enough to see a difference though.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
matigol wrote:
What can DJ do that Dwight can't do?

This is what I'm wondering. I thought we needed a 5 that can stretch the floor? DJ cannot do that to say the least. AD of course can...

I like DJ fine but I guess I'm just not understanding what he is supposed to be bringing to the party.

We do have a 5 who can stretch the floor...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19
Jump to: