Lakers Starting Shooting Guard 🏀
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who’s your starting SG for the 2021-2022 Lakers?
Wayne Ellington
24%
 24%  [ 20 ]
Malik Monk
20%
 20%  [ 17 ]
Kent Bazemore
37%
 37%  [ 31 ]
Talen Horton-Tucker
18%
 18%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 83

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
Car54 wrote:
I tend to lean towards Ellington because of the difficulty of the shots he makes and his ability to move without the ball. I know he’s not a good defender but he makes the divulged shots the Nets big 3 would make. He’s not a guy you can leave the big 3 for. As a matter of fact he will drain those shots with defenders on him.

the only other guy on this list I can think of that can hit these difficult shots is Monk

Russ and Ellington as starting backcourt is a liability on defense, at least against other starting lineups.

I disagree. I know Russ hasn’t been committed to playing defense full time but he is a good point of attack defender when he tries. Who do you think Booker And Mitchell would rather defend Russell Ellington or Lebron because there’s no one they can hide on out of those 3. Ellington moves a lot so I doubt any of them want to chase him. Lebron will hunt out a mismatch so they’re not gonna get any rest there. Do they want to defend Russ with the ball in hand? Nah I doubt that.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

Last season the Knicks and Lakers played playoffs intensity basketball ball. Both teams had tired legs when the playoffs came. I rather get easy buckets during the season. Brooklyn got away with bad defense all year because of easy buckets. Instead of being number one on defense let’s be number 8 and have a top 5 offense.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

THT doesn’t make any sense to start with LBJ and Russ. He doesn’t space the floor and he also needs the ball in his hands. LBJ and Russ need spot up shooters to create spacing more than they need another ball handler.

He has the best indicators for shooting potential, and limiting his 3-point shots to just catch and shoot, helps develop percentages.

He doesn't need the ball in his hands. He didn't have that in Iowa St. He didn't have that as a rookie. Could legit just play him like a 3/D player with transition ability. He's also about on par with Bazemore as an off-ball defender, maybe better.

Potential is something else, LBJ and Russ need something now, they don’t need someone that could potentially be.

THT hasn’t shown he could be a good consistent catch and shoot in high volume.

What he’s shown so far is that he’s good with the ball in his hands at slashing and semi-facilitating. The starters need spacing and THT doesn’t give that to them right now.

I'm willing to bet that THT is probably a 36%+ catch and shoot 3pt shooter, and to me, that's more than enough and isn't what he could "potentially be."

What I really hate about everyone defaulting to "the Lakers need spacing" is, it doesn't take into account that LAL is building a transition team first. That's why THT got the money. That's why Westbrook got traded for. Transition/rim pressure first. Shooting second.

Personally, I don't want to rely on an outlier year for Bazemore when he was playing for a new contract and is still an average career 3-point shooter, and actually got a ton of catch-and-shoot 3s, unlike THT.

THT was less than 30% on C&S last year and Bazemore was 43%. Whether you inject outliers, potential, or trajectory into it the smart money is still on Bazemore to do better. I agree that THT adds a wider skill set but that might be redundant with the other starters. He probably would have more of an impact initiating off the bench which minimizes the subpar shooting he has shown thus far.

Some of y’all got high hope for THT this season. I’m willing to put money on it he won’t be starting at SG over the guys we brought in. He’s not a good shooter nor is he my idea of a transit player. He’s an iso ball guy. We paid him for the future not what he’s expected to bring this season IMO
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
THT. Think his 3pt percentage will go up enough and there’s his ability to get to the rim, passing and defense that will make him deadly to play with the starters.
Him and Baze should start at the 2 and 3, respectively. Obviously that switches LBJ and AD to PF and C. It’s our most complete 5 man and the rest of guard heavy roster slots in better.

That's the way I also see it and furthermore I think that's the way The coaching staff see it.
You can also start Ariza at the 3 and Bazemore at the 2.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I also don’t think Bazemore is gonna be an option as a starter here. I guess that’s a hot take here now, but Malik Monk or Wayne Ellington have a better chance at starting than Bazemore IMO.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Starting Shooting Guard 🏀

Jordan-esque wrote:
My Lakers 2K roster needs closure!

If you have 2K21 and can’t decide, just let the CPU auto rebuild your roster, Malik Monk is the starting SG.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
THT. Think his 3pt percentage will go up enough and there’s his ability to get to the rim, passing and defense that will make him deadly to play with the starters.
Him and Baze should start at the 2 and 3, respectively. Obviously that switches LBJ and AD to PF and C. It’s our most complete 5 man and the rest of guard heavy roster slots in better.

That's the way I also see it and furthermore I think that's the way The coaching staff see it.
You can also start Ariza at the 3 and Bazemore at the 2.

I looked at Ariza’s numbers at the 3 last year and they were horrific. Sorta agrees the eye test for me: Dude looks washed. Can see him more as filling in the four, but see those non-LBJ at the 4 going to Carmelo They can shift LBJ to the 3 or have Baze play alongside Melo or Ariza. Guessing LBJ will want some floor time with Melo.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

If Bazemore can return to some of his ATL form he will definitely get the starting nod, but that’s why there is a training camp and pre season for these sort of things to be played out.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
If Bazemore can return to some of his ATL form he will definitely get the starting nod, but that’s why there is a training camp and pre season for these sort of things to be played out.

WB, Baze, THT, Monk, Nunn, Ellington. At least on paper we're not shy on backcourt firepower. I think Baze's defense will be the tilting factor with Vogel, but as you said that's why there is a training camp and preseason.

We'll see who shows up on the court, I'm looking forward to this.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Malik Monk is the best fit. Best 3 point shooter. Best athlete in transition. However, we just paid Talen Horton Tucker all that money to be a starter. It will be fun to see who wins the job in training camp.

Nothing wrong with some healthy competition. Would be nice if FGA's are based purely on the rhythm of the game and whose open instead of who's making the most money & the need to put up stats to justify their salaries. Showtime days are long gone, unfortunately.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Getting paid more doesn’t mean starter. Bradley started over KCP. Gasol started over Trezz. People here wanted Schröder who was the 3rd highest paid to come off the bench instead of starting.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
I tend to lean towards Ellington because of the difficulty of the shots he makes and his ability to move without the ball. I know he’s not a good defender but he makes the divulged shots the Nets big 3 would make. He’s not a guy you can leave the big 3 for. As a matter of fact he will drain those shots with defenders on him.

the only other guy on this list I can think of that can hit these difficult shots is Monk

Agreed.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Malik Monk is the best fit. Best 3 point shooter. Best athlete in transition. However, we just paid Talen Horton Tucker all that money to be a starter. It will be fun to see who wins the job in training camp.

Nothing wrong with some healthy competition. Would be nice if FGA's are based purely on the rhythm of the game and whose open instead of who's making the most money & the need to put up stats to justify their salaries. Showtime days are long gone, unfortunately.

Even though THT makes the most money he's still being paid for his potential more then his overall impact thus far so I don't think his salary means anything starting wise. I strongly believe Vogel will make him work for it and he has absolutely not come close to earning a starting spot without proving it in training camp yet imo. Plus, unless he improved drastically on shooting his best skillsets just become to redundant with Russ and Bron both on the floor with him.

I'd absolutely love to see Monk steal the starting spot but from the time they signed him I see him more as that spark of energy ala Caruso off the bench even though it will be more so from the offensive end but I do see heavy defensive potential in him as well especially under Vogel. They def. need to make sure he gets a good amount of time with Westbrook because he can help burn teams in transition for sure.

I also don't see no way Ariza gets it, he's washed as a starter imo but still has some value in smallish minutes at the 3/4... I hope.

I would say Baze or Ellington are the favorites but like everyone else is saying I def. look forward to the training camp (or season long even probably) battle and it's great we should have some major competition for minutes.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

With his new contract, THT will be under pressure to play better this season.

We choose THT over AC, hopefully he will deliver good games.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Starting Shooting Guard 🏀

Nash Vegas wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
My Lakers 2K roster needs closure!

If you have 2K21 and can’t decide, just let the CPU auto rebuild your roster, Malik Monk is the starting SG.

My Lakers NBA 2k21 MyTeam roster is not bad. If I just keep my starters in.

https://i.imgur.com/ot6zKII.jpg
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject:

THT is an asset as a 6th man depending on how they sub. Having a 2nd playmaker in there at all times is a benefit, starting him throws that off.

Like most I think Vogel plays Baze, especially with him being told he will have a significant role. He may get the quick pull for Ellington or Monk though Baze is cold. Nunn/WB may play some together. I think we'te looking at the same question about center, more important where the minutes go rather than who starts.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

40% say Kent.
I'm proud of you, LG!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
40% say Kent.
I'm proud of you, LG!

From hearing Baze expecting a bigger role and him being the two way player he is, I think he's a safe bet to start.

I'm actually more curious about who our starting C is lol
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
epic_ wrote:
40% say Kent.
I'm proud of you, LG!

From hearing Baze expecting a bigger role and him being the two way player he is, I think he's a safe bet to start.

Marc should start and play the first 6-7 mins of each half, then take him out for Melo and slide AD to center. The bulk of the second and fourth quarters are DwightTime! As long as Melo has a defensive big next to him all times he won't get abused nearly as bad on the defensive end.

Last edited by MookieBetts50 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
epic_ wrote:
40% say Kent.
I'm proud of you, LG!

Good point.
Definitely needs a poll thread: who will be our starting center by the end of the year?

AD
Gasol
Dwight
Cousins
Giles
Love
Nance
Other
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Kobetan wrote:
epic_ wrote:
40% say Kent.
I'm proud of you, LG!

Good point.
Definitely needs a poll thread: who will be our starting center by the end of the year?

AD
Gasol
Dwight
Cousins
Giles
Love
Nance
Other

Gasol starts the year and Dwight comes off the bench. When LBJ sits, Russ is going to feee the big man.

By the end of season our starting 5 will be AD.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Gasol/Dwight
AD/Ariza/Melo
LeBron/THT
Baze/Monk/Ellington
Russ/Nunn
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Gasol/Dwight
AD/Ariza/Melo
LeBron/THT
Baze/Monk/Ellington
Russ/Nunn

Don't think Melo signed on to be 3rd string....reverse him and Ariza and your on the right path.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject:

I think Marc will start also but I still find it hard to believe we are rolling with Marc and Dwight as our main 5s. This might mean AD will really slide to the 5 more often.

Either we are going to target a 5 in the buyout or AD better hit the weight room
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I'm willing to bet that THT is probably a 36%+ catch and shoot 3pt shooter, and to me, that's more than enough and isn't what he could "potentially be."

What I really hate about everyone defaulting to "the Lakers need spacing" is, it doesn't take into account that LAL is building a transition team first. That's why THT got the money. That's why Westbrook got traded for. Transition/rim pressure first. Shooting second.

Personally, I don't want to rely on an outlier year for Bazemore when he was playing for a new contract and is still an average career 3-point shooter, and actually got a ton of catch-and-shoot 3s, unlike THT.

Wouldn't starting THT limit his offensive opportunities and therefore limit and even stunt his development? Why not make him the 6th man and maybe sub him in for LeBron so he can just attack and play his natural game while still getting plenty of time with Westbrook?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: