Potential Rotations and Starting Lineup Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject:

What do you think of melo playing some small ball 5 for us? Kinda like how kief used to. Iirc melo’s been playing some small ball 5 with portland.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

Starting lineup and probably gets the most minutes together:

Westbrook
Bazemore
LeBron
AD
Gasol

Closing unit 1:

Westbrook
Bazemore
Ariza
LeBron
AD

Closing unit 2:

Westbrook
Ellington
Ariza
LeBron
AD
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

Have to think the starters are:

Westbrook
Bazemore
LBJ
Davis
Gasol

Hoping the closing lineup is something along these lines:

Westbrook
Bazemore/Ellington
Ariza (or maybe Melo if he has the hot hand)
LBJ
AD
#18 next...
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

Your lineup looks familiar. Although it doesn't match your signature 😜
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

There seems to be enough talent to play any style of ball.

Best Offense
Gasol/AD
AD/Melo/Ariza
Lebron/Bazemore
Ellington/Monk/THT
WB/Nunn

Best Defense
Howard/AD
AD/Ariza
Lebron/Cacok
Bazemore/Ellington/THT
WB/Nunn

Small ball
AD/Cacok
Lebron/Melo
Bazemore/Ariza
Ellington/Monk/THT
WB/Nunn

And save last spot for a defensive SF if needed
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook
Shooter/defender
Legramps
Davis
Gasol

Not a great fit but it's what we have to work with and no Davis wont start at center.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
What do you think of melo playing some small ball 5 for us? Kinda like how kief used to. Iirc melo’s been playing some small ball 5 with portland.

That would depend on match ups... I can see it happening vs the Warriors with Draymond at the 5... He don't really have to guard that guy.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook
Nunn
Bron
Melo (Dwight to start)
AD
Fourplay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Starters (unless we sign Millsap or trade Schro for another legit starter)
Gasol
AD
LBJ
Baze
Russ

LBJ out:
Dwight
Melo
Ariza
Russ
Nunn/Monk (hotter hand)

Russ out:
AD
LBJ
THT
Ellington
Nunn/Monk

Close:
AD
LBJ
Ariza/Melo (defense versus offense)
Baze/Monk (defense versus offense though I think Monk's defense can be coached up)
Russ

I think this configuration is lethal. Sit LeBron? Now you deal with Melo. Sit Russ and THT takes his place. We could come up with a variety of close out packages too.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that’s a good rotation, but I feel the Lakers need to get that chemistry right between AD, Bron and Westbrook. So AD should start at 5, Bron at 4 with two shooting wings and Westbrook.

I don’t think when you have talent like Bron, Melo, Ariza. And all 35+. They are all 4s. We need AD at the 5 and Westbrook at the 1. AD needs to sacrifice his minutes and role. Less stats, more impact. Unlike Porzingis in Dallas, we will actually use AD in many more ways than just floor spacing.

It’s the right way to go about this IMO. Gasol should start at the 5 only once in a while in some physical match ups that AD should be kept away from in the Rs. But the RS is all about developing good habits and reps for playoffs. We need AD full time at the 5 in the playoffs.

Don’t have half ass it, go all in with Westbrook/Bron backcourt. Floor balance mandates that AD is the 5 + 2 shooting threats (Melo, Monk, Nunn, Baze etc).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject:

AD should definitely play the 5 more this season, if so it gives us much depth at that spot. LBJ at the 4 makes sense with Melo as his primary backup to come in and spread the floor more. In all truthfulness, something tells me this won't be the case, but I hope it pans out. On the roster, the only other 4 aside from Melo is Cacok and who knows if he sticks around, but as of right now, we have AD listed as a PF (4).
Let's see how this all pans out!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Traditional model:

Gasol
Davis
Lebron
Bazemore
Westbrook

Plenty of spacing, and probably works against slower or below average teams. Might be a starting lineup, but gets adjusted once it is not working.

Newer fast paced lineup:

Davis
Lebron
Bazemore or THT
Dunn
Westbrook

Closing lineup, especially when we need to score:

Davis
Melo
Lebron
Dunn
Westbrook

So many questions, how much will Davis and Lebron play at C and PF?

Who is the SG; does Bazemore get it?

Will THT improve his outside shot enough to get significant minutes? If he doesn't improve much, he really can't be on the floor with Westbrook and/or Howard.

If Davis starts at center, does Howard basically force Gasol out of the lineups?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Have to think the starters are:

Westbrook
Bazemore
LBJ
Davis
Gasol

Hoping the closing lineup is something along these lines:

Westbrook
Bazemore/Ellington
Ariza (or maybe Melo if he has the hot hand)
LBJ
AD

I see it the same way.

That 5th, Ariza spot in the closing lineup could/should go to whomever is playing best at the time and the matchup. Maybe Ariza. Maybe play both Bazemore and Ellington. Maybe Melo. Maybe THT.
It's nice to have so many options.

I lean toward Bazemore starting. But maybe we go with Ellington instead. Don't see Monk starting unless his defense takes a huge leap and he kills it in training camp. And I imagine THT will be a huge punch off the bench. Like Levert was in Brooklyn to start last season (before he was traded).
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject:

Come think of it, the Lakers are surprisingly thin on PF spot.
Wide gap after AD, especially if you are looking for tough defence.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject:

Yeah they're missing that rugged PF/C which is why I'm surprised they let Kief go considering he was willing to take the minimum and obviously wanted to stay in LA with his brother. Maybe they thought he was done but in addition to AC I though this was a huge loss in free agency but even more puzzling. Millsap is the only guy left on the board that can fill that role.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:

Davis/LeBron/Melo/Ariza can all play the 4.

What we need is wing depth.

In their earlier years those guys were all wings but as they get slower it would be wise to move them to PF specially with how small the NBA is going.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Shaber wrote:

In their earlier years those guys were all wings but as they get slower it would be wise to move them to PF specially with how small the NBA is going.

Completely agree. Even Center is somewhat covered with AD, Howard, and Gasol.

Covered at SG with Bazemore, THT, Ellington, Monk.

Covered somewhat at PG with Westbrook and Nun with perhaps Monk playing PG defensively with LeBron or THT initiating from the SF spot.

The deficiency at the moment is SF. After LeBron then Bazemore or THT would be the undersized options... maybe we get by with that due to their length but would have liked Oubre there or someone similar at 6’7”-6’8” providing a younger defensive presence. If no additions then I’m hoping Ariza isn’t done as I suspect...recently stated he came to team to be closer to family which is admirable but would have liked to hear also that he came to help team win a title.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Shaber wrote:

Completely agree. Even Center is somewhat covered with AD, Howard, and Gasol.

Covered at SG with Bazemore, THT, Ellington, Monk.

Covered somewhat at PG with Westbrook and Nun with perhaps Monk playing PG defensively with LeBron or THT initiating from the SF spot.

The deficiency at the moment is SF. After LeBron then Bazemore or THT would be the undersized options... maybe we get by with that due to their length but would have liked Oubre there or someone similar at 6’7”-6’8” providing a younger defensive presence. If no additions then I’m hoping Ariza isn’t done as I suspect...recently stated he came to team to be closer to family which is admirable but would have liked to hear also that he came to help team win a title.
Wes Matthews
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject:

AD covering/defending both wings and bigs, similar on offense, kinda like Giannis but instead of Middleton, it’s LeBron and instead of Jrue, it’s Westbrook. Man, I sure hope everything falls into place for our squad. This team could be an all timer offensively, Bron and Westbrook breaking down defenses all game long then there’s AD
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

Here is how I think it will go from me reading the tea leaves, which actually shouldn't be too bad -

Point Guard [Westbrook (24) / Nunn (24)]
Westbrook gets the majority of minutes, with Nunn getting all the back up minutes.

Shooting Guard [THT (20) / Bazemore (12) / Monk (10) / Westbrook (6) / Ellington (0)]
Believe it or not, I think THT starts (getting most of his minutes at SG with some minutes at SF in 3 guard lineups, They want to give him a larger role and they probably think its time. Back up minutes will go to Bazemore with Westbrook playing some at the 2 spot, and Monk soaking up whatever remains. I think Bazemore and THT's minutes will look a lot like each other (Bazemore probably gets his minutes split between SG/SF). Monk didn't come here not to play at all. IMO, Ellington will get the Matthews role of last year - most games he won't play, and, where he does, its probably because of an injury.

Small Forward [Lebron (15) / Ariza (18) / Bazemore (10) / THT (5) Ellington (0)]
Lakers try to keep Lebron's minutes down to 30 IMO. They also try to limit Ariza's minutes; I think he plays limited minutes in the regular season to keep him fresh, and will play more come post season. As I said, Bazemore and THT will soak up the remaining minutes at SF after those two where the Lakers go with 3 guard lineups. Imagine a Nunn/Westbrook/THT/Lebron/AD lineup. That would be fuuuunnnn. Again, Ellington gets minutes in blow outs or where Lakers sustain injuries.

Power Forward [AD (20) / Lebron (15) / Melo (13)]
AD likely plays most minutes at PF again, but I expect him to pick up minutes at the C spot in late 3rd and in closing lineups in the 4th. As with Lebron and Westbrook, Lakers probably try to keep his minutes to around 30 (more some nights, less when there are blow outs) to keep him fresh and limit injury. Lebron gets the remaining minutes here throughout the game, but especially in the last 5 minutes of close games. My guess is that the Lakers use Melo this year much like Kief last year, except with more consistent minutes. Melo should get most of his minutes at PF, but I would bet he gets some at C too.

Center [Gasol (12) / Howard (18) / AD (10) / Melo (8)]
Marc probably starts, but is used the same way McGee was used in 2020 (starts each half for a 6 minute stretch, but doesn't get any minutes outside of that). Howard fills in most of the time, with Melo taking some minutes in spread/small ball lineups. Then you have AD coming in late 3rd and late 4th for our closing lineup.

LBJ - 30 Min (SF/PF)
AD - 30 Min (PF/C)
RW - 30 Min (PG/SG)
THT - 25 Min (SG/SF)
Nunn - 24 Min (PG)
Bazemore - 22 Min (SG/SF)
Melo - 21 Min (PF/C)
Dwight - 18 Min (C)
Ariza - 18 Min (SF)
Gasol - 12 Min (C)
Monk - 10 Min (SG)
Ellington - 0 Min (SG/SF)

Interesting Lineups I look forward to seeing -

Westbrook/Bazemore/Ariza/Lebron/Melo
Nunn/Westbrook/THT/Lebron/AD
Nunn/THT/Ariza/Lebron/Howard
Closing - Westbrook/THT/Ariza/Lebron/AD

Funny how key I think THT and Nunn will be this year, if only to put out some speed and athleticism out there with KCP gone and most of our key players older.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

The best outcome for the Lakers IMO is if Monk was able to lock down the SG starting position by the end of the season....meaning he takes a big step in his career and shows out. Then the Lakers could use the MLE to keep him next season....then early bird rights the following year. Just saying there is more advantage going forward if one of the young players are able to step up and prove to be a longer term piece compared to an older Bazemore or Ellington.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The best outcome for the Lakers IMO is if Monk was able to lock down the SG starting position by the end of the season....meaning he takes a big step in his career and shows out. Then the Lakers could use the MLE to keep him next season....then early bird rights the following year. Just saying there is more advantage going forward if one of the young players are able to step up and prove to be a longer term piece compared to an older Bazemore or Ellington.

I don't know if that version of Malik Monk can be retained with the MLE but I didn't think he come for the minimum either. I'd rather have THT become a better shooter and a fixture in the starting and closing lineups.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I don't know if that version of Malik Monk can be retained with the MLE but I didn't think he come for the minimum either. I'd rather have THT become a better shooter and a fixture in the starting and closing lineups.

You may be correct....but some back room handshakes about a later deal may work. Honestly, at his size and limitations, his ceiling is likely going to be a 6th man microwave scorer....which is not a bad thing to be in the NBA.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Hopefully Rob finds a way to offload Gasol.

I don't see a role for him here, I say give Dwight all his minutes.

No role for a stretch 5? When Russell Westbrook is our PG?

This is a no brainer. We need to have a stretch 5 with Westbrook. AD is that player but we don’t want him to bang and get nick here and there for the regular season. We can’t start Dwight because he can’t stretch the floor. We need any of our big 3 to get into rhythm offensively to start with.

So much wrong with this line of thinking.

Gasol is molasses slow. He's not spreading the floor because he's not a threat to drive. Hard contest and that play is dead.

Dwight spreads the floor with his ability to draw in help defenders who have to respect him as a lob threat. Not only that, Dwight is still a GREAT Offensive rebounder, something Gasol is not.

2020-2021
Gasol - 0.7 orpg in 19.1mpg (3.4 drpg and 4.1 total rpg)
Dwight - 2.8 orpg in 17.3mpg (5.7 drpg and 8.4 total rpg)

That's what we need. 2nd chance points. If Russ misses, we need someone cleaning up the boards and putting it back up for a HIGH percentage shot, not someone 30 feet away waiting for a low percentage shot.

Russ and LeBron are the 2 best DOWNHILL THREATS in the NBA, bar none. We need better screeners and finishers at the rim to help maximize those threats, not more shooters, hoping the defense doesn't get out to contest that shot.

Why??

What happens if Gasol doesn't get the shot off or if he does and he misses it?? You have to depend on LeBron and Russ getting rebounds in traffic. Know what else that leads to??

Injuries.

We need BIGs who play BIG. Stop it with all of this fake "New Era" nonsense. AD is the only Stretch BIG we need on the court in the starting lineup...period.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
CRoost wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Hopefully Rob finds a way to offload Gasol.

I don't see a role for him here, I say give Dwight all his minutes.

No role for a stretch 5? When Russell Westbrook is our PG?

This is a no brainer. We need to have a stretch 5 with Westbrook. AD is that player but we don’t want him to bang and get nick here and there for the regular season. We can’t start Dwight because he can’t stretch the floor. We need any of our big 3 to get into rhythm offensively to start with.

So much wrong with this line of thinking.

Gasol is molasses slow. He's not spreading the floor because he's not a threat to drive. Hard contest and that play is dead.

Dwight spreads the floor with his ability to draw in help defenders who have to respect him as a lob threat. Not only that, Dwight is still a GREAT Offensive rebounder, something Gasol is not.

2020-2021
Gasol - 0.7 orpg in 19.1mpg (3.4 drpg and 4.1 total rpg)
Dwight - 2.8 orpg in 17.3mpg (5.7 drpg and 8.4 total rpg)

That's what we need. 2nd chance points. If Russ misses, we need someone cleaning up the boards and putting it back up for a HIGH percentage shot, not someone 30 feet away waiting for a low percentage shot.

Russ and LeBron are the 2 best DOWNHILL THREATS in the NBA, bar none. We need better screeners and finishers at the rim to help maximize those threats, not more shooters, hoping the defense doesn't get out to contest that shot.

Why??

What happens if Gasol doesn't get the shot off or if he does and he misses it?? You have to depend on LeBron and Russ getting rebounds in traffic. Know what else that leads to??

Injuries.

We need BIGs who play BIG. Stop it with all of this fake "New Era" nonsense. AD is the only Stretch BIG we need on the court in the starting lineup...period.

I was today years old when I learned that Dwight who camps the paint to get those offensive boards spaces the floor and and stretch 5 with high IQ and can hit open players doesn't

Remember when Lebron complained about no spacing game 1 vs the rockets? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lywD6i2VSM0

Watch Dwight provide all that space for Bron lol. See that defender clog the lane and leave Rondo wide open? Same thing is gonna happen with Westbrook.

Of course that won't happen every play, but having Dwight start with Russ is probably one of the worst idea I've seen thrown around here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12
Jump to: