Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
so we gonna talk about Westbrook being the screensetter for Lebron or no? Twice last game, 16 times in all last season or something crazy like that. He's already playing differently than he has

He wants to WIN not make statisticians happy
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook just needs to pace his self. Understand when when to turn the pace on, and when not to. His mind be moving too fast. His off shots are a reflection of how fast his mind moves. That's why he misses layups and that's why to me he doesn't have a better percentage in shooting.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:
It would be nice if everyone stopped (bleep) calling him westbrick.

I mean his shot is so terrible, he aired ball a dang mid range. And I don't even think it's mechanics. I think his mind just moves to fast. If he paced his self, I feel it would do him justice.

I think a lot of people are going to embrace and love this guy in a few months once he settles down and understands his teammates. Based on his past seasons he's a notorious slow starter, and in this case it's the first time he's had to come in and adapt to two other superstars.

Everyone loves to go "he starts slow but then he plays great at seasons end!" but always leaves out "and then comes back down to earth in the Playoffs and plays worse than he did at the start of the season".

Westbrook:

Regular season:

23 PPG, 9 AST, 7 TRB, 2 STL, 4 TOV on 44% FG, 53% TS

Playoffs:

25 PPG, 8 AST, 8 TRB, 2 STL, 4 TOV on 41% FG, 51% TS

Slight increase in scoring, coupled with a slight drop in efficiency. But overall he's pretty much the same player in the playoffs than the regular season: A near triple-double, high-turnover, 20+ PPG volume scorer.

do the last 2 playoffs because that is the Westbrook we are getting.

And ignore the difference in teammates from those teams and this team. Because that doesn't help the narrative.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:

I mean his shot is so terrible, he aired ball a dang mid range. And I don't even think it's mechanics. I think his mind just moves to fast. If he paced his self, I feel it would do him justice.

I think a lot of people are going to embrace and love this guy in a few months once he settles down and understands his teammates. Based on his past seasons he's a notorious slow starter, and in this case it's the first time he's had to come in and adapt to two other superstars.

Everyone loves to go "he starts slow but then he plays great at seasons end!" but always leaves out "and then comes back down to earth in the Playoffs and plays worse than he did at the start of the season".

Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

Slight increase in scoring, coupled with a slight drop in efficiency. But overall he's pretty much the same player in the playoffs than the regular season: A near triple-double, high-turnover, 20+ PPG volume scorer.

And ignore the difference in teammates from those teams and this team. Because that doesn't help the narrative.

The difference in teammates? Which all-star do you want to go with then? His performance next to Paul George in the Playoffs? His performance next to Bradley Beal in the Playoffs? Which superstar do you want to go with? His performance next to James Harden in the Playoffs?

It ain't "narrative" it's the last 5 off-seasons of Russell Westbrook. Trying to ignore that so you can assume he's going to be something he isn't is not the way to go.

Know who you are getting and actually acknowledge it, instead of trying to find excuses.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

The difference in teammates? Which all-star do you want to go with then? His performance next to Paul George in the Playoffs? His performance next to Bradley Beal in the Playoffs? Which superstar do you want to go with? His performance next to James Harden in the Playoffs?

It ain't "narrative" it's the last 5 off-seasons of Russell Westbrook. Trying to ignore that so you can assume he's going to be something he isn't is not the way to go.

Know who you are getting and actually acknowledge it, instead of trying to find excuses.

When Rus is on the floor with Bron, Bron brings the ball up. Why? Westbrook is at his best when he runs the offense. He's not a scorer he's a facilitator. Let him facilitate. I've said this before, I think if he could accept coming off the bench and still get the lion's share of minutes he'd become the real Westbrook.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook is actually a more dynamic creator now than LBJ is. LBJ is slowing down.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

He said last 2 playoffs. 1 of which he played hurt (Houston). Neither of which had players who had won championships (like our roster).

And you're bringing up the Paul George and Beal playoffs? He averaged a triple double in both occasions. He doesn't need an excuse for carrying teams that in no way compare to our current roster to the playoffs while racking up stats and accolades along the way.

All this work to ignore

Quote:
Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Westbrook is actually a more dynamic creator now than LBJ is. LBJ is slowing down.

Agree. Bron likes perimeter and step backs. That is an excellent player to have next to Russ.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Does Westbrook even practice shooting?

Just start without moving and hit some mid range shots without jumping.
Then at FT line and hit 70% for 100 shots.
Just get used to the ball going in the basket.

Then jump taking shots making a lot.

But he should practice shooting under control.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Agree. Bron likes perimeter and step backs. That is an excellent player to have next to Russ.

I don't understand why Bron brings the ball up instead of Westbrook. Let Brook bring it up, Bron get to the wings. He can get downhill without bringing the ball up. Rus can go to the rim, somethings he's great at.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I don't understand why Bron brings the ball up instead of Westbrook. Let Brook bring it up, Bron get to the wings. He can get downhill without bringing the ball up. Rus can go to the rim, somethings he's great at.

I know. Its why he was brought here. I do notice bron passes to get it back vs russ.

AD, Bron should be perfect for russ. Neither one of their guys will leave them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I know. Its why he was brought here. I do notice bron passes to get it back vs russ.

AD, Bron should be perfect for russ. Neither one of their guys will leave them.
I know, and that would give Rus an open lane to the rim if they're on the wings. If they clog, he kicks.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject:

I actually loved his playmaking in that first half especially.. This is exactly what I was hoping we'd get from him consistently is to help get the bigs some easy baskets and you seen DJ getting hyped from it and having a little extra pep in his step on the defensive end which was also very nice to see.

Until Bron hits that extra gear heading into the Playoffs I agree Westbrook is clearly the more dynamic playmaker by a long shot since Bron has clearly been pulling back from driving into the lane more and more the last couple seasons outside of transition baskets.

His perimeter shooting will remain a crap shoot from game to game but we all knew that going in. The playmaking has to be consistent and please keep Rondo tf on the bench as far as the normal rotations go when Westbrook is in.

This will only get much better as the year goes as well since you can see the chemistry growing from game to game with everyone figuring out there spots still.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

I think this is why they got Russ. Lebrons drive and kick game is losing its effectiveness, he’s gonna be 37 soon after all. He doesn’t have the speed nor stamina like he used to.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

He said last 2 playoffs. 1 of which he played hurt (Houston).Neither of which had players who had won championships (like our roster).

And you're bringing up the Paul George and Beal playoffs? He averaged a triple double in both occasions. He doesn't need an excuse for carrying teams that in no way compare to our current roster to the playoffs while racking up stats and accolades along the way.

All this work to ignore

Quote:
Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

One, it's only logical to use recent data. Two, if you're gonna exclude all the playoff series where Westbrook didn't play with a champion then you're gonna end up with none. KD hasn't won anything yet when he played with Westbrook and Fisher was just a roleplayer on those OKC teams. Three, Westbrook didn't average a triple double(playoffs) in his 2 years with Paul George.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
levon wrote:
so we gonna talk about Westbrook being the screensetter for Lebron or no? Twice last game, 16 times in all last season or something crazy like that. He's already playing differently than he has

He wants to WIN not make statisticians happy

We ran those 1 setting screens for 3 plays last year with Dennis/Bron as well. It was also quite effective. With Westbrook, should be even more effective as he would often be able to roll a bit after the screen and have all kinds of situations where he is at the FT line and has some mismatches with driving angles.

The key to running that play is AD at the corner pocket. When your 5 man can stretch the floor a bit, then you are able to run this play even more effectively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mannix: “It’s all a process,” Westbrook said. “Everyone wants, as much as we do, we want to win every game, everybody thinks we should win every game, blah, blah, blah. We’ll figure it out.”

“I’m O.K. with adversity. I never panic. Especially at the start of a season. There’s really no need to. A season is too long. It’s good to get off to a good start, to feel good about yourself. Especially me personally, I like to make sure that … as the season goes on I’m constantly getting better and better.”

“We’re all figuring each other out,” said Westbrook. “Guys are figuring out how to run with me and play a little faster. I’m figuring out other things, moving off the ball and doing other things. That’s a process. It’s not going to happen in the first week of the season. We all understand that; at least I do. I’m O.K. with the struggle and figuring it out and making sure that we are putting ourselves in position to do the right things so that ultimately at the end of the year we can be playing our best basketball.”

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/10/26/los-angeles-lakers-russell-westbrook-slow-start

For one of the fastest players in the association, expect a slow start. Good thing we have a soft AF upcoming schedule to get familiar with each other.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

It would be nicer if he wasn't shooting 35%-09%-42%.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject:

why not call him assistbrook?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

He said last 2 playoffs. 1 of which he played hurt (Houston).Neither of which had players who had won championships (like our roster).

All this work to ignore

Quote:
Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

One, it's only logical to use recent data. Two, if you're gonna exclude all the playoff series where Westbrook didn't play with a champion then you're gonna end up with none. KD hasn't won anything yet when he played with Westbrook and Fisher was just a roleplayer on those OKC teams. Three, Westbrook didn't average a triple double(playoffs) in his 2 years with Paul George.

Good call. He just averaged 29/12/8 and 22/12/9. GARBAGE!
He did average a trip double with Beal though.

So the proof it’s logical is by saying “it’s only logical”? Well I guess if getting eliminated with below average playoff rosters is valid. Lillard is garbage. Doncic is garbage. CP3 is garbage. Harden is garbage. Jokic is garbage. Embiid is garbage.

And guys like Curry and Hield are super garbage for not even making the playoffs.

If you think the OKC teams he played on after Durant left and the wizards are equivalent rosters to our team with Bron and AD. Then I dunno what to tell u.

Closest team to the one he’s playing on now is the Harden, Durant Thunder. And he wasn’t the guy who choked in the finals.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Westbrook needs to be in the driver seat if we wanna see success this year. Also, Vogel needs to get his rotations together, but Westbrook needs the keys.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
3baller wrote:
kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Batguano wrote:
MJST wrote:
Stumpy25 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

All this work to ignore

Quote:
Westbrook:

Regular season:

Playoffs:

Good call. He just averaged 29/12/8 and 22/12/9. GARBAGE!
He did average a trip double with Beal though.

So the proof it’s logical is by saying “it’s only logical”? Well I guess if getting eliminated with below average playoff rosters is valid. Lillard is garbage. Doncic is garbage. CP3 is garbage. Harden is garbage. Jokic is garbage. Embiid is garbage.

And guys like Curry and Hield are super garbage for not even making the playoffs.

If you think the OKC teams he played on after Durant left and the wizards are equivalent rosters to our team with Bron and AD. Then I dunno what to tell u.

Closest team to the one he’s playing on now is the Harden, Durant Thunder. And he wasn’t the guy who choked in the finals.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, putting laughing emojis and going full straw man isn't going to save your post from being factually incorrect.

Also, let me get this straight, what's 'logical' to you is not using data from the past year or 2 but using something 10 years ago, when they were just 22-23 years old... when it's not uncommon for players to improve or decline even from season to season? Yeah, great logic there.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Russ will get a chance to be Russ tonight.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
why not call him assistbrook?

Or TOBrook
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

He getting comfortable, the pressure he puts on bigs are great to watch
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 67 of 426
Jump to: