Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Russ look like he went to about 85% game speed tonight. Probably was playing 70-75% previously. Look like a ramp up game for him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Yep, I am trying to remain positive but not sure Westbrook was the right choice. I do love watching him run and do other things, I just don't know if he is the right guy, the right fit. I am sure he will get better....

Perhaps a smaller splash was needed in LA, not a big $40 mil per year, splash...

The problem is we made a $40M splash when we still had many other pressing needs. It was irresponsible. Said this all offseason, but whatever. LeBron and AD got the guy they asked for, so I don't want to hear any excuses from them.

DJ, Dwight
AD, Melo, Ariza
LeBron, Baze, Wayne, Reeves
Hield, KCP, Monk
Nunn, THT, Rondo

Assuming everything else broke the same way, which is highly unlikely but still, that's our roster right now. Better than current? I don't know, time will tell.

Either way, this roster is going to take a while to get to where it needs to be to compete against the best in the NBA. I think we all need to sit back and be patient til it gets there or as close to it as possible. For now, I've seen flashes of greatness and I've seen a lot more ugly.

For now though, hard to sit here after 6 preseason games and think Buddy Hield and KCP are difference in bringing us close to # 18.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Yep, I am trying to remain positive but not sure Westbrook was the right choice. I do love watching him run and do other things, I just don't know if he is the right guy, the right fit. I am sure he will get better....

Perhaps a smaller splash was needed in LA, not a big $40 mil per year, splash...

The problem is we made a $40M splash when we still had many other pressing needs. It was irresponsible. Said this all offseason, but whatever. LeBron and AD got the guy they asked for, so I don't want to hear any excuses from them.

I think this may be an understated factor. You know LeBron and AD will try EXTRA hard to get another ring because it's out there that they're the ones who wanted to bring Westbrook in. They're gonna want to prove to everyone that they were right.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

The Kings game showed that there is hope for Westbrook.
He just has to learn to play smart and under control.
But still keep it quick.

The guy to help is Rondo. He is still good even though he can't blow
by players like he used to do. His bb IQ is the best.
He improved his 3 point shot.

If Rondo can teach Westbrook how to shoot wide open and
some of his playmaking tricks.
Vogel should read this.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
But still keep it quick.

Vogel should read this.

Russ is actually a decent 3 point shooter on c&s or open 3's already.. He has to kill a lot of the bad 3's he has taken in the past and he'll be fine, that's still asking a lot but I doubt Rondo is going to do anything to help him there.

The Russ we saw against the Kings is pretty average for him and we'll see that version most of the time where he gets the bigs a bunch of easy looks and gets some transition baskets. AD should have had another 3-4 baskets at least due to nice placement by Westbrook but he couldn't make anything all night.

If Westbrook can cut down on a big chunk of the bad 3's which I think is very possible with the roster and he tries to get back to his earlier days when he was an absolute defensive monster and use more energy on that side of the ball we will be wrecking havoc on the league by all star weekend imo. Realistically though, i'd just love to see Russ get solid defensively and i'll be very satisfied.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
laker50 wrote:
But still keep it quick.

Vogel should read this.

Russ is actually a decent 3 point shooter on c&s or open 3's already.. He has to kill a lot of the bad 3's he has taken in the past and he'll be fine, that's still asking a lot but I doubt Rondo is going to do anything to help him there.

The Russ we saw against the Kings is pretty average for him and we'll see that version most of the time where he gets the bigs a bunch of easy looks and gets some transition baskets. AD should have had another 3-4 baskets at least due to nice placement by Westbrook but he couldn't make anything all night.

If Westbrook can cut down on a big chunk of the bad 3's which I think is very possible with the roster and he tries to get back to his earlier days when he was an absolute defensive monster and use more energy on that side of the ball we will be wrecking havoc on the league by all star weekend imo. Realistically though, i'd just love to see Russ get solid defensively and i'll be very satisfied.

Yeah last season he was 36% on catch and shoot 3s. He played under control last night and shot something like the high 50s % wise. If he can do that while giving us 18-22ppg we can be a serious threat
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Westbrick didn't work out with Harden. Why would it be any different with Lebron? Lebron and Harden are both similarly ball-dominant player. MDA, one of the offense geniuses in the league, couldn't make it work. No way Vogel could. Vogel is all about defense.

I'll say it again. It's a HUGE gamble because Westbrick has another year. If he doesn't work out this year, what happens next year?? Look at what happened when Westbrick didn't work out with Harden. It could get real ugly for the Lakers. For the Lakers sake, I hope everything works out but I'd like to see it before I believe it.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVUXURfkdvE

Lays it out well.

Those playoff stats are absolutely dreadful.

Vogel has his work cut out for him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVUXURfkdvE

Lays it out well.

Those playoff stats are absolutely dreadful.

Vogel has his work cut out for him.

That video certainly lays out the anti-Westbrook case. It's interesting that this guy thinks that we'll have a top five defense this year. That would be great, but I'm not seeing signs of it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
I'll say it again. It's a HUGE gamble because Westbrick has another year. If he doesn't work out this year, what happens next year?? Look at what happened when Westbrick didn't work out with Harden. It could get real ugly for the Lakers. For the Lakers sake, I hope everything works out but I'd like to see it before I believe it.

The "Westbrick" thing is tiresome. You're right about the gamble, though. If Westbrook doesn't work out, it would be hard to move him, even as an expiring contract. He could opt out and become a free agent, but if he doesn't work out with us, he might have a tough time in free agency.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Someone who can truly free up Lebron for rest and be the pg for bron ad melo etc

There will be times that Bron on pure offense will be like a bulldozer for the other team.. Brodie will be PG for an elite squad (if HBK gets any better we might trade Brodie mid season)

I believe in Lebron.. I heard him say one time "there is "Energy" in the ball"

These guys will gel.. Bron must've signed off on this?? no way he can say he had no input?
Price is a bit high but I bet Westbrook has a decent amount of his own fans who will bring the lakers revenue in other ways along with ... a title?

Curious if Westbrook gets worn out carrying a team into the playoffs and that is why his playoff numbers might suffer?

Maybe he will learn a tremendous amount from his new team
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Westbrick didn't work out with Harden. Why would it be any different with Lebron? Lebron and Harden are both similarly ball-dominant player. MDA, one of the offense geniuses in the league, couldn't make it work. No way Vogel could. Vogel is all about defense.

Any player who cannot figure out how to work with Lebron would need traded.. I think Westbrook is willing to do anything necessary for this team
Harden isn't a Lebron
Lebron is a whole different level of TEAM player... This is a team of Champions getting ready for a long season..
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject:

If Russ, doesn't force being a PG and focuses more on attacking the basket, he will easily get assist on this team. Collapsing the defense will be a key to having him on this team and making a strong playoff run.

The last game he showed signs of what he should bring to the team, which is look to score the ball. Don't force the issue and we'll be good. He'll have to stay aggressive the entire game and keep the defense honest and on their heels.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject:

Westbrook seems to shoot his 3s in the same fast manner that he
plays. Very fast so it is not a balanced shot.
If he would take more time to adjust and keep a more stable body when he shoots it should improve.

With Lebron and Rondo Westbrook has to learn to play without the ball.
It means movement and cutting.
And being smart and going to the open spot.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Any player who cannot figure out how to work with Lebron would need traded.. I think Westbrook is willing to do anything necessary for this team
Harden isn't a Lebron
Lebron is a whole different level of TEAM player... This is a team of Champions getting ready for a long season..

Harden with the ball is probably only 2nd to Lebron. Are you saying that Westbrick wasn't willing to work with Harden? I saw Westbrick gave it his best for a whole season but it didn't work out so he asked out. Good luck trading Westbrick if he asked out again. But then again, it would his last year on the contract so I guess he would have some trade value.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Harden isn't a Lebron

Harden with the ball is probably only 2nd to Lebron.

Even though that YouTube video seemed to have an agenda, it was accurate about Westbrook's time in Houston. The Rockets changed their whole style of play in an effort to accommodate Westbrook. When I hear people try to blame it all on Harden, I sort of scratch my head. Harden proceeded to move to the Nets and significantly change the way he plays in order to fit in. Maybe Westbrook will finally become adaptable as a Laker. We shall see.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I can envision Russ having a late career resurgence similar to LO when he won 6MOY by cleaning up the flaws in his game and embracing a smaller role. That's the hope at least and he's certainly more than capable.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of his game, or his attitude. I think Rob did a good job offseason, but he made a true mistake picking up Russ.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
I'm not a fan of his game, or his attitude. I think Rob did a good job offseason, but he made a true mistake picking up Russ.

What was Rob supposed to do though? He had 2 choices in front of him:

Route A - Go with Buddy Hield(22.6M) + KCP(13M) + AC (10M)

or

Route B - Westbrook(44.2M)

If he went with Route A and we end up not winning the chip, he will forever be known as the GM who defied Lebron James and chose Buddy Hield over Westbrook(even if it truth would have been Hield+KCP+AC). He would most likely lose his job with all the blame going to him for not consulting and listening to his superstars.

If we win, then he'd look like a genius but that would be too much of a risk even if it's the better decision IMO.

By choosing Route B, he passed the burden of winning to Lebron and AD. It would be up to them to make this work since it was them who requested for Westbrook. Even if we don't win it all, apart from a few "i-told-you-so"s, no one can really blame Rob for going with this route since he simply acquiesced to both of his superstars' request and his job would probably be safe.

Let's be honest, most people in Rob's position would have done the same thing. I wanted the Hield trade too but I'm not blaming Rob for going with Westbrook. If anything, this is really on Bron and AD.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Rob has to do what's best for the team. Yes, he has to take what Lebron advises into consideration. But in the end, he has to be brave and make the decision that will put the Lakers in the best position to win. That is what his job is. If need be, he can explain his choice to Lebron and AD. But the choice still must be made.

You're telling me we lost out on Hield (3 point shooter), KCP (defender and 3 point shooter) and AC (defender and glue guy) for the likes of Westbrook? Can that be true?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

The "Westbrick" thing is tiresome. You're right about the gamble, though. If Westbrook doesn't work out, it would be hard to move him, even as an expiring contract. He could opt out and become a free agent, but if he doesn't work out with us, he might have a tough time in free agency.

Can't believe how many times in his posts he writes Westbrick, it just irritates me. Just call him by his name. Put some respect on it

And its fun to gamble. Hope it works out
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
I can envision Russ having a late career resurgence similar to LO when he won 6MOY by cleaning up the flaws in his game and embracing a smaller role. That's the hope at least and he's certainly more than capable.

Odom’s sixth man of the year award wasn’t really a resurgence. In the prior three seasons, he had been the #3 guy on a team which went to the finals three times and won twice.

Westbrook is a former MVP who has declined to being a borderline all star if not lower.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject:

Rob has a tendency to make moves good on paper but not consider chemistry
and fit. Magic left the legacy of Lebron and AD. He was lucky the first year.
Westbrook is not the all star he once was. But his game is not as adaptable as it depends on a huge motor and speed. But he has not learned to shoot and adapt his game. This trade can be at best if Westbrook can play good defense and at least shoot the mid range.

But it was not worth the cost of 3 decent players and a first round draft pick.
And the cost of a huge contract that prevents building further.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Westbrook is a former MVP who has declined to being a borderline all star if not lower.

A borderline all-star or lower? The guy averaged 22.2/11.5/11.7/1.4 last season. He lead the league in assists, was 6th in rebounds, and 14th in steals. Westbrook has his flaws, but he's still a very good player.

Last edited by J.C. Smith on Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject:

at least you have a guy in Brodie who can take a game whenever is neccesary / needed, will try to look for open shots for shooters and be part of the most letal fastbreak duo.

Did you notice Buddy Hield in the Kings preseason game ? Yes, he played 24 minutes and took 8 3pt shots making 3. I asked you again, Did you notice?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 53 of 426
Jump to: