🎾 US OPEN 🎾
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Djokovic's record at the US Open isn't as great as you'd think. Just the 3 titles there. Obviously that's nothing to sneeze at, but for a guy who is the greatest hard-court player ever, you'd think that he'd have at least a couple more. We may have discussed this already, but perhaps his grueling style of tennis leaves him a bit exhausted at the tail end of the tennis season. It's why I think it was a mistake to play the Olympics, given that the Grand Slam was in play. It's also why I think he's done so much better in Australia, as he's more fresh at the start of a new season.

He also had an extremely difficult draw, with Berrettini in the QF (Wimbledon finalist), Zverev in a 5-set SF (he plays Djoker really tough), and then the much-fresher Medvedev in the final, who wasn't tested in his SF against FAA. So that certainly had something to do with it as well. Add in the pressure of winning the Slam, and there you have it.

I think the racket smashing thing came a bit too early and gave Med the mental edge. It was just early in the 2nd set and he's smashing his racket, not a good sign. Down 2 sets, and 2 breaks in the 5, now if you smash your racket then, that would make more sense. Not a good look too when Rod Laver is in the stands. I wanted him to achieve history, but I was disappointed in both his play and antics.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Djokovic's record at the US Open isn't as great as you'd think. Just the 3 titles there. Obviously that's nothing to sneeze at, but for a guy who is the greatest hard-court player ever, you'd think that he'd have at least a couple more. We may have discussed this already, but perhaps his grueling style of tennis leaves him a bit exhausted at the tail end of the tennis season. It's why I think it was a mistake to play the Olympics, given that the Grand Slam was in play. It's also why I think he's done so much better in Australia, as he's more fresh at the start of a new season.

He also had an extremely difficult draw, with Berrettini in the QF (Wimbledon finalist), Zverev in a 5-set SF (he plays Djoker really tough), and then the much-fresher Medvedev in the final, who wasn't tested in his SF against FAA. So that certainly had something to do with it as well. Add in the pressure of winning the Slam, and there you have it.

I think the racket smashing thing came a bit too early and gave Med the mental edge. It was just early in the 2nd set and he's smashing his racket, not a good sign. Down 2 sets, and 2 breaks in the 5, now if you smash your racket then, that would make more sense. Not a good look too when Rod Laver is in the stands. I wanted him to achieve history, but I was disappointed in both his play and antics.

Djoker's temperament has always been his Achilles Heel. I thought he was seeing a sports psychiatrist to combat the weakness. When it gets out of control it sorely affects his game. When he controls it he's a tough out.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject:

It's also surprising to me this is Med's first slam. All the great players, they eventually break through and start collecting slams, I get that feeling Med's gonna be on a roll here on out. Dude is 6'6 and can move like that. I'm surprise it's taken that long at 25 yrs old to finally get one. If this was 20 yrs ago, I wouldn't be optimistic about a 25 yr old winning a slam. Nowadays, they're blooming late and playing longer. I grew up hating the Edbergs and the Beckers because they were in the way of our Americans. But man, looking back, those guys were done early. I think they each snuck in one more slam at 26 yrs old, but they were finished. Their dominance occurred in their late teens and early 20's. Sampras slowed down tremendously as he approached 30. Djoker became Steve Nash in his 30's. LOL! Nadal and Fed too. These guys played amazing tennis well into their 30's. So, this may be just the beginning for Medvedev.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah the big 3 (and Murray) basically stonewalled multiple generations from grand slams and most of the masters
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: