Submarine Missing at Titanic Wreck
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Submarine Missing at Titanic Wreck

This will not have a happy ending.

A submarine used to take tourists to view a wreck of the Titanic has gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean.

A search and rescue mission is currently underway, the BBC reports. It's currently unknown if there were any people on board the submarine at the time.

Paying tourists can take trips in small submarines to see the sunken wreck of the Titanic.

The famous wreck, which sits 12,500ft below the surface of the Atlantic, is around 370 miles off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada.

After its discovery in 1985, the wreck has been extensively explored by divers and submarine crews.

Last year, it was reported that one such excursion run by OceanGate cost a group of guests $250,000 to take the submersible 2.4 miles down to where the wreckage lays on the seabed.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I guess 5 people were onboard.

You couldn’t pay ME $250,000 to ride on that can 12,000 feet below the surface.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject:

If the life support systems failed they are all dead anyways.
If the sub is intact and just lost communication it would still be a challenge to rescue them from those depths. Not many submersibles that can go that deep.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject:

One of the passengers is a billionaire who flew on Jeff Bezo's rocket.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/titanic-tourist-submersible-goes-missing-155552504.html
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Megalodon?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject:

How would they search?

What's the budget to do this search?

Who's conducting the search? Is it private? Our coast guard? Our military?

Here's the answer:

Quote:
US Coast Guard to continue surface search for missing submersible throughout the evening

From CNN’s Artemis Moshtaghian

The US Coast Guard tweeted that it will continue to conduct surface searches for the missing submersible throughout the evening.

The Coast Guard tweeted that The Polar Prince, the vessel used to transport the submersible to the site of the Titanic wreckage before the expedition, as well as aerial support from the Air Force’s 106th Rescue Wing will be involved in the surface searches.

Quote:

“Two C-130 flights have been completed from @USCG CG Air Station Elizabeth City,” read the tweet, posted at 9:10 p.m. ET.

Canadian Coast Guard surface and subsurface search, as conducted by Canadian P8 Poseidon aircraft, will continue in the morning, according to the US Coast Guard.

Quote:
OceanGate says it's taking "every step possible" to bring missing submersible crew back to safety

From CNN’s Jackie Wattles

OceanGate Expeditions says it is taking “every step possible” to return the five crew members onboard the missing submersible to safety and focusing its entire search effort on their wellbeing, according to a statement released by the company Monday night.

OceanGate Expeditions is the group that was conducting the expedition to view the wreckage of the Titanic.

“We are deeply grateful for the urgent and extensive assistance we are receiving from multiple government agencies and deep-sea companies as we seek to reestablish contact with the submersible,” the statement read.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Also, it's not submarine, it's a submersible:

Quote:
The submersible — a watercraft that, unlike a submarine, needs a mother ship to launch it — lost contact 1 hour and 45 minutes into its dive Sunday, the US Coast Guard said. The vessel has between 70 and 96 hours of life support, officials said.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
”We know we lost communication," Marquet said. "It's probably not just malfunctioning because then they would have just come back up to the surface and they would have started communicating from the surface, so I fear something worse happened."

I don’t think they need communications to resurface, so it was probably something more serious.

Quote:
Most submarines, including military attack submarines and the vessels that rescue submariners during emergencies, cannot reach the depths that Titan can reach, complicating the search, Marquet added.

Only other submersibles can search for them at the floor. How many submersibles and capable captains are out there, and how far do they have to travel to get the surface of the search zone?

LINK
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, even if they locate it, do they even have the equipment to retrieve it? 70-96 hours in not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.
Also the more I read about this submersible, it seems like it was a sketchy craft with minimal safety features.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
”We know we lost communication," Marquet said. "It's probably not just malfunctioning because then they would have just come back up to the surface and they would have started communicating from the surface, so I fear something worse happened."

I don’t think they need communications to resurface, so it was probably something more serious.

Quote:
Most submarines, including military attack submarines and the vessels that rescue submariners during emergencies, cannot reach the depths that Titan can reach, complicating the search, Marquet added.

Only other submersibles can search for them at the floor. How many submersibles and capable captains are out there, and how far do they have to travel to get the surface of the search zone?

LINK

And even if you got one there, you’re looking for a needle in a haystack at depth.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If the life support systems failed they are all dead anyways.
If the sub is intact and just lost communication it would still be a challenge to rescue them from those depths. Not many submersibles that can go that deep.
Near, far, wherever they are...their hearts can't go on.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject:

For the sake of those onboard, I hope whatever happened was catastrophic structural damage so it was relatively quick as opposed to hours of knowing they were never going to be rescued and slowly asphyxiating.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
For the sake of those onboard, I hope whatever happened was catastrophic structural damage so it was relatively quick as opposed to hours of knowing they were never going to be rescued and slowly asphyxiating.

Like an astronaut who's cable breaks while making an outer space repair. You would be floating in space waiting for your oxygen to run out.
No way you're getting rescued (unless you're Sandra Bullock). Makes one wonder if a way could be found for someone in such a predicament to have access to a poison pill or something. The end would be the same but less painful.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Like an astronaut who's cable breaks while making an outer space repair. You would be floating in space waiting for your oxygen to run out.
No way you're getting rescued (unless you're Sandra Bullock). Makes one wonder if a way could be found for someone in such a predicament to have access to a poison pill or something. The end would be the same but less painful.

I'd say providing people with poison pills is the same as assisted suicide.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Tim Taylor and former Col. Terry Virts said the crew aboard the missing submarine set to see the wreck of the Titanic now face “a very cold, dark environment” with “water temperature right at freezing,” as the air on board begins to run out.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject:

So it didn't sink in that this is a self navigating submersible. Or all submersibles are?

So that means the passengers can't take control of the submersible to guide it to the surface?

This video says that one thing the passengers can do is bang on the walls of the submersible. This would be picked up by sonar.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject:

You know if they had designed this craft with a tow cable as a backup safety feature they wouldn't be facing this situation.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
You know if they had designed this craft with a tow cable as a backup safety feature they wouldn't be facing this situation.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

How thick would 2.5 miles of tow cable be when wounded? How heavy would that be?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

How thick would 2.5 miles of tow cable be when wounded? How heavy would that be?

I'm guessing the cable wouldn't be cheap and would have added to the costs....but to the people on board that would be the difference between life and death.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject:

Does this mean the next set of tourists will now have 2 sites to visit?

Quote:
1) The Titanic

2) The submersible
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I'm guessing the cable wouldn't be cheap and would have added to the costs....but to the people on board that would be the difference between life and death.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the cost. I was thinking of the feasibility. I don't know how thick or heavy 2.5 miles worth of cable would be.

They were talking about bringing a crane with cables on one of the video, so I guess it's feasible.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the cost. I was thinking of the feasibility. I don't know how thick or heavy 2.5 miles worth of cable would be.

They were talking about bringing a crane with cables on one of the video, so I guess it's feasible.

Yeah, I think the spool would be quite big. Not sure if they could use the existing ship to launch it. But considering they lay undersea cables across continents, a 2.5 mile long cable isn't something that hasn't been done before. I hate to say it but they probably went with the lowest cost design with no backup in case anything goes wrong.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Submersibles typically have a drop weight — “a mass they can release in the case of an emergency to bring them up to the surface using buoyancy,” according to Greig.

If the missing sub had deployed its drop weight, it would be bobbing on the surface of the ocean waiting to be found.

Quote:
What is it?

Operated by OceanGate Expeditions, the submarine, known as the Titan submersible, holds up to five people. Since 2019, the company has offered tourists the chance to explore the Titanic’s wreckage more than 2 miles below the ocean’s surface off the coast of Canada — at $250,000 per ticket.

The Titan usually operates with one chief pilot, three crew members, and then the tourists who pay for the daredevil adventure.

Quote:
The people aboard the submersible have been identified as:

1) OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush,
2) British billionaire Hamish Harding,
3) French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeolet, and
4) British-Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood
5) and his son.

Wait, so there's a crew and 5 tourists? Or just 5 tourists? So much contradicting info. Or usually operates with a chief pilot and crew but not this time? Or maybe the CEO of OceanGate is also the chief pilot?

Quote:
The submersible’s 96-hour oxygen supply has been ticking down from about 6 a.m. Sunday, according to Concannon, who was supposed to be on the dive himself but was unable to go due to another client matter.

Quote:
Sunday’s trip was OceanGate’s third annual voyage to the site of the famous underwater shipwreck to report on its deterioration over the years.

3rd time is not the charm here.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Submersibles typically have a drop weight — “a mass they can release in the case of an emergency to bring them up to the surface using buoyancy,” according to Greig.

If the missing sub had deployed its drop weight, it would be bobbing on the surface of the ocean waiting to be found.

Yep. I have a friend who has actually gone down in the Alvin, the submersible that actually found the Titanic. He wasn’t on that expedition. He just did it for a KCET piece and went down to 3,600 feet off of the back side of the Chanbel Islands. He said that they were all fully briefed on how to handle an emergency and what to do should the pilot become incapacitated. Dumping the ballast is step one (a concept those of us who SCUBA dive are familiar with. That submersible is also equipped with secondary masks for getting air. There also is an IPR beacon that can be activated when running off battery power. The problem is such craft are sealed from the outside because it’s a stronger design. Which means even if the submersible makes it to the surface, the occupants wouldn’t be able to open it up to get air.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
So it didn't sink in that this is a self navigating submersible. Or all submersibles are?

So that means the passengers can't take control of the submersible to guide it to the surface?

This video says that one thing the passengers can do is bang on the walls of the submersible. This would be picked up by sonar.

No, it's not self navigating. It comes with a playstation controller and a laptop (no kidding).

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: