Suez canal jam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Suez canal jam

Surprised no one here is talking about the Suez Canal situation.

Link

Whenever I'm having a bad day I just think of the captain of that ship.
$ 9 bn trade traffic a day held up.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

It does seem strange in these technically advanced times that this can't be figured out.

The Captain may want to update his resume. Or change his name.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

The name of the ship, Evergreen, apparently was also Hillary Clinton's Secret Service codename when she was First Lady. QAnon conspiracy nuts have already claimed the ship is involved with the child sex trafficking ring they accuse her of masterminding. The ship's radio call sign is apparently H3RC, another clue (!). There have been calls from some of these nuts to open the containers on live TV to "prove" this bizzaro idea. I kid you not.

Trump was supposed to be working on thwarting and exposing this child sex trafficking group of Dems, Libs and Hollywood types right? So maybe he arranged for it to go aground. Or it's just God's will to expose these evil pedophile cannibals.

Seriously tho' the captain and/or the canal pilots steering this ship are probably going to need new jobs after this. And no matter how bad you think you suck at your job, at least you didn't ground a huge ship and block the Suez Canal for a week.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
And no matter how bad you think you suck at your job, at least you didn't ground a huge ship and block the Suez Canal for a week.

This.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
SweetP wrote:
And no matter how bad you think you suck at your job, at least you didn't ground a huge ship and block the Suez Canal for a week.

This.

I'm seriously thinking of using it a comparator in this year's annual employee reviews. "FB did not meet his assigned goals and he is not an efficient employee but ..."
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

How much would it cost to build another Suez? I understand that it is literally one of the "Wonders of the World," but it is so vital to global commerce (with a constantly growing population).

Also, it was built in the 1850's, with slave labor...We now have much more advanced, heavy machinery that can speed up the digging/overall construction.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
How much would it cost to build another Suez? I understand that it is literally one of the "Wonders of the World," but it is so vital to global commerce (with a constantly growing population).

Also, it was built in the 1850's, with slave labor...We now have much more advanced, heavy machinery that can speed up the digging/overall construction.

Probably the same reason why many great things were built in the past without regard to safety standards, low wages or lack of wages. The machinery might be much more advanced these days, but you have stuff like red tape and politics getting in the way.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bloomberg
@business

BREAKING: The giant ship blocking the Suez Canal has been freed by salvage crews, but it's unclear how soon the vital trade route will be open to traffic https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-28/progress-made-in-moving-ship-more-vessels-diverted-suez-update

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

How'd that even happen? Did the dude just get wasted and spun the wheel too hard? Shouldn't this ish be all computerized now?
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Probably the same reason why many great things were built in the past without regard to safety standards, low wages or lack of wages. The machinery might be much more advanced these days, but you have stuff like red tape and politics getting in the way.

Apparently the US had a plan in the 60's to nuke a canal through Israel:

The US had a plan in the 1960s to blast an alternative Suez Canal through Israel using 520 nuclear bombs
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

The US had a plan in the 1960s to blast an alternative Suez Canal through Israel using 520 nuclear bombs

That sounds so...safe...

From the same link:

Quote:
The memo came as the US Atomic Energy Commission was investigating using "peaceful nuclear explosions" to dig out useful infrastructure, Forbes reported in 2018. There were also plans to use this method to dig out a canal in Central America, Forbes reported.

But the PNE project remained experimental, after the US found that 27 experiments with PNEs heavily irradiated the landscape.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

I'm not intimately familiar with the Suez Canal's history, but I strongly suspect that the canal's width was designed for old-fashioned steamers rather than the modern, massive container ships. I would imagine the solution set to solve this problem is very costly: 1. Expand the width of a very long canal; 2. Purchase something akin to barge cranes, capable of lightening the load of grounded container ships; 3. Maintain a large fleet of heavy-duty, seegoing tugs, not your run of the mill pilot tugs you see in harbors. Option three risks breaking up the breaking up the grounded container ship; they aren't built to handle stress.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

That just seems like a terrible idea....but then again in the 50's and 60's anything nuclear was all the rage.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm not intimately familiar with the Suez Canal's history, but I strongly suspect that the canal's width was designed for old-fashioned steamers rather than the modern, massive container ships. I would imagine the solution set to solve this problem is very costly: 1. Expand the width of a very long canal; 2. Purchase something akin to barge cranes, capable of lightening the load of grounded container ships; 3. Maintain a large fleet of heavy-duty, seegoing tugs, not your run of the mill pilot tugs you see in harbors. Option three risks breaking up the breaking up the grounded container ship; they aren't built to handle stress.

I think thats the problem with these canals is that they aren't built to accommodate these supertankers. I think the Panama canal has the same problem. Some of the biggest passenger ships and aircraft carriers are too big to transit thru the canal zone.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject:

They've expanded the Suez canal multiple times since it was originally built in the 1850s. They've made it deeper and made it wider at certain spots to accommodate two-way traffic, but most of the canal is one-way traffic. Except for the super-large oil tankers, most large ships can go through it. The Ever Given is freaking enormous.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
How'd that even happen? Did the dude just get wasted and spun the wheel too hard? Shouldn't this ish be all computerized now?

I heard somewhere there was a sandstorm and extremely high winds that blew the ship off course. But looks like there might have been human error involved as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/03/26/how-evergreens-ship-got-stuck-in-the-suez-canal/7010375002/

Quote:
Its owners originally said high winds in a sandstorm pushed the ship sideways, wedging it into both banks of the waterway. Containers stacked on deck may have acted as a sail.

However, the chairman of Egypt's Suez Canal Authority said Saturday, without giving details, that weather conditions "were not the main reasons" for the grounding, and that "there may have been technical or human reasons," the BBC reported. An investigation is ongoing.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject:

A terrorist somewhere: "Hmmm, we just have to hijack superships, block Suez and the Panama canal simultaneously ..."
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject:

^ if that happened the US military would certainly bomb their way through the blockage
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I heard somewhere that it would cost $500,000,000,000.00 USD to build a new Suez Canal. That's FIVE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ if that happened the US military would certainly bomb their way through the blockage

Modern shipbuilding makes that problematic. Large ships are incredibly hard to sink, even intentionally, and then you have to clear the wrecking of millions of pounds of metal.

In 2005, the US Navy attempted to sink the decommissioned aircraft carrier USS America with aerial munitions (bombs, missiles, etc.), to see how much damage she could take before sinking. Long story short - she took it all, and after 4 weeks of bombing, the Navy finally had to go aboard and scuttle her from the inside.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I think thats the problem with these canals is that they aren't built to accommodate these supertankers. I think the Panama canal has the same problem. Some of the biggest passenger ships and aircraft carriers are too big to transit thru the canal zone.

"Too beaucoup" would be the Vietnam era parlance for this kind of situation.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Did the dude just get wasted and spun the wheel too hard?

That's Joe Hazelton yer thinking of.

Per wiki one of the names of the now-retired (and possibly scrapped) Exxon Valdez is the Oriental Nicety. Really.

You never wanna play Spin The Wheel when you're wasted, btw. It's a recipe for disaster every time.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:

All that would do is leave a debris field making the canal unpassable. The canal isn't very deep, which is the reason why the ship was stuck in the first place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: