DAMIAN JONES 2-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

I think Lakers were happy with Jones but they weren’t gonna use a spot on him considering that there gonna be getting AD and Gasol back soon and also because the buy out market is gonna be in high demand this year.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Not gonna lie, it'll be disappointing to give those minutes back to Gasol. DJ showed plenty, and will have no problem finding a home with a pro team. Hopefully, we acquire a big free agent center soon.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Not gonna lie, it'll be disappointing to give those minutes back to Gasol. DJ showed plenty, and will have no problem finding a home with a pro team. Hopefully, we acquire a big free agent center soon.

Agreed. Especially since Kostas is simply warming the bench wasting a roster spot. and Dudley too, now with his injury. If we add Cacok, that's 3 wasted roster spots.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Agreed. Especially since Kostas is simply warming the bench wasting a roster spot. and Dudley too, now with his injury. If we add Cacok, that's 3 wasted roster spots.

We can't replace any of those guys if we release them though so it's either them or just a wasted vacant roster spot. Gasol was a much better fit the couple weeks before he was taken out due to the Covid protocol, he does things for the offense DJ simply isn't capable of.

I'm sure the Lakers are just hoping for a better player out of the buyout market or trade and if it doesn't happen then they can design DJ for the rest of the season.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

We can't replace any of those guys if we release them though so it's either them or just a wasted vacant roster spot. Gasol was a much better fit the couple weeks before he was taken out due to the Covid protocol, he does things for the offense DJ simply isn't capable of.

I'm sure the Lakers are just hoping for a better player out of the buyout market or trade and if it doesn't happen then they can design DJ for the rest of the season.

Oh sorry, I think you are right and I forgot about that: If we release Kostas, Cacok or Dudley, we cannot replace them this season.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
TDRock wrote:
WELP

Per Woike

Sources say the Lakers are not re-signing center Damian Jones for the rest of the season after his second 10-day contract expired. Jones has been a fill-in starter and played well, but hard cap, roster limitations win out in the end.

What roster limitation? I thought we can sign Dame AND another person

So this is wrong? only one roster spot left for prorated min, that's why we let him go? (thought he good for Gasol back up, guess more mins for Markieff)
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:
TDRock wrote:
WELP

Per Woike

Sources say the Lakers are not re-signing center Damian Jones for the rest of the season after his second 10-day contract expired. Jones has been a fill-in starter and played well, but hard cap, roster limitations win out in the end.

What roster limitation? I thought we can sign Dame AND another person

So this is wrong? only one roster spot left for prorated min, that's why we let him go? (thought he good for Gasol back up, guess more mins for Markieff)

Strange. Jones didnt play great, was up/down (and he had major issues with capela yesterday) but ge did fulfill a lob / block threat. Reading tea leaves here but this likely done since they either believe they gonna get a buyout of more value or are figuring lets put ourselves in a position to grab someone better and if not...they bring back Jones?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
hype wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Oh sorry, I think you are right and I forgot about that: If we release Kostas, Cacok or Dudley, we cannot replace them this season.

Yeah, I was saying the same thing before I looked into it so I def. get it. To be exact Dudley would just be a vacant roster spot since he's on a guaranteed minimum deal while Kostas and Cacok are on 2 way deals so you can get a different g league 2 way player since they don't count towards the cap but still not anything that will help us currently.

This just gives them maximum flexibility with the possibility of still signing DJ if nothing better pans out soon.

Kind of sad every time I look at our cap space and see Deng still there for $5 million this season and next
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject:

NOT A DEFINITE NO, JUST TRYING TO STAY FLEXIBLE

Per Woike

Frank Vogel said "the door's not closed" in regards to Damian Jones. But with trade deadline and buyout market, team wanted to keep flexibility

https://twitter.com/danwoikesports/status/1373798065811820544?s=21
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

Per Woike

Frank Vogel said "the door's not closed" in regards to Damian Jones. But with trade deadline and buyout market, team wanted to keep flexibility

I suspect if we don't get Drummond/Whiteside he'll be back, we're just waiting and seeing for those two
#18 next...
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

Per Woike

Ok, makes sense. My guess is if he's bought out, they are making a Drummond push. If that falls, maybe they grab Jones back. Not sure if the team is interested in LMA at all (and no one on these forums actively advocates for him either).

He will likely be back as my belief is, for Drummond, Lakers are way down the list. Keeping my expectations low intentionally on that.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I absolutely do not agree with letting him go

After watching how he was playing......watch another team that needs rim protection scoop him up.....just watch
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

what's robert upshaw doing these days?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
I absolutely do not agree with letting him go

After watching how he was playing......watch another team that needs rim protection scoop him up.....just watch

Hopefully they have something up their sleeve that will give us a sigh of relief.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
what's robert upshaw doing these days?

Good question.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject:

i think the lakers have to wait until end of March to have space for 2 prorated vet min spots, if they sign Jones now, they can’t sign anyone else
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
i think the lakers have to wait until end of March to have space for 2 prorated vet min spots, if they sign Jones now, they can’t sign anyone else

This confusing, we can sign 2 prorated min OR one Damion at min (which is prorated also)... why can’t we do Jones AND another prorated min?
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

This confusing, we can sign 2 prorated min OR one Damion at min (which is prorated also)... why can’t we do Jones AND another prorated min?

I think mad5 meant that if we wait until end of march before signing DJ, then he’s prorated salary by then will enough for us to sign another prorated min. Him signing now will probably not leave enough for us for another signing. Not sure about the computation tho.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

It’s all about prorated and hard cap. Nobody knows the exact number, but the lakers needs to have enough space for 2 prorated vet min spots, and the prorated number goes down as time goes by.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Jones is way better than Cacok
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject:

Jones is better thank Cacok and Costas, if we could bring him back and get those guys off the roster, I would do it!. He has more upside as well. For the record though, I think Cacok is better than Costas!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
Jones is better thank Cacok and Costas, if we could bring him back and get those guys off the roster, I would do it!. He has more upside as well. For the record though, I think Cacok is better than Costas!

Too old for 2-way so the Q is McKinney or Jones? I’d take Jones
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject:

He's not gonna be back, now we've got Dre. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to another contender, though

He definitely will make a career for himself as that McGee type center
#18 next...
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lakurluv wrote:

Too old for 2-way so the Q is McKinney or Jones? I’d take Jones

As of now i'd actually rather have McKinney since Dre pretty much cements us having very deep depth that is already going to see quality guys get low to no minutes nightly.

Our biggest need now imo is shooting and more 3&d depth which McKinney is at least capable of being a 3&d guy but I have no doubt the Lakers are looking to add someone better.

I'd love to see Jones back next year though since i'm sure we'll be in dire need of cheap depth at the 5.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I dont understand how cucok is on this team over him........the level of player is so vast.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16
Jump to: