Last year vs This year’s team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Last season's team and its not even close.

The Lakers lost a lot of mental and physical toughness and its showing.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

Except when we were #1 with stout defense and road killers
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
We were a lob machine with Howard and Rondo. Now we're just another team. Anything we can do they can do better.

Last year, what's so special about the Lakers? Lebron and the twin towers of AD and Howard.

This year, what's so special about the Lakers? Lebron.

If we’re being honest, lately, he’s been less special offensively, defensively, and even with crazy turnovers. Last year he was better.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
RashardA wrote:

Except when we were #1 with stout defense and road killers

Established with the help of an early schedule against primarily bad teams. Just like people said we had to give it time to allow the team to play together, the numbers have changed against good teams.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Dwight was awesome in the playoffs last year. I get it. But we lost 4 games in a row last year. We were dominant on the road this year before injuries.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Dwight was awesome in the playoffs last year. I get it. But we lost 4 games in a row last year. We were dominant on the road this year before injuries.

You should look at who they beat on the road this year....there was only one quality win against an above .500 team....the Bucks....the rest were all lottery bound teams or teams under .500.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

You should look at who they beat on the road this year....there was only one quality win against an above .500 team....the Bucks....the rest were all lottery bound teams or teams under .500.

That was a good win, even though Bucks isn't a contender. Our closest game to a contender was probably the 1 point loss to 76ers
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject:

delete.

Last edited by WC13 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject:

delete.

Last edited by WC13 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Funny, before this losing streak, I thought when this team is playing well (and they were most of the time), no one could beat them. They've got more than enough talent.

They are without 2 starters, including a future Hall Of Famer, and need a break to regroup. (Imagine how awful they'd be if all of a sudden they were without Lebron...pretty much the same deal without Davis).

At the moment, they seem a mess, tired and disjointed.

That's it.

2 cents.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 am    Post subject:

Lakers are always gonna be with AD. He's made out of glass. Last year, we were winning without him and when he wasn't playing well. Pelinka made a mistake not prioritizing around dwight and our championship squad. I understand adding pieces, but he broke the squad up. That's unheard of.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Pelinka made a mistake not prioritizing around dwight and our championship squad. I understand adding pieces, but he broke the squad up. That's unheard of.

The Lakers thought they were bringing Dwight back. They made him an offer that was higher than what he got in Philly. He choose to leave. That isn't on Pelinka.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Pelinka made a mistake not prioritizing around dwight and our championship squad. I understand adding pieces, but he broke the squad up. That's unheard of.

The Lakers thought they were bringing Dwight back. They made him an offer that was higher than what he got in Philly. He choose to leave. That isn't on Pelinka.

Not what the reports and Dwight said....

Quote:
"At one point, I did," Howard said with a smile, when asked if he thought he had an offer in the opening hours of free agency. "That's when you saw the infamous tweet, because I really thought I was going back. But it was no offer.

"And I understand it's a business. The Lakers did what they felt was in their best interest, and I'm just very thankful for them giving me an opportunity to come back to L.A., and to just have an opportunity to win a championship.

"It's very difficult, but everything happens for a reason. I'm super excited about my purpose on this team, and moving forward."
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

The difference is Rondo....We have no lead guard to run the 2nd unit. DS is a better starter than a Bench player on this team. When the 2nd unit comes in...THT is a scorer...AC is a defender...Morris is a shooter...Who is the creator?? When AD was here it would be his turn to be LBJ basically. Can we get Pierre Jackson off the G league team...We need someone who can both score and create off the bench with some quickness.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:
"At one point, I did," Howard said with a smile, when asked if he thought he had an offer in the opening hours of free agency. "That's when you saw the infamous tweet, because I really thought I was going back. But it was no offer.

"And I understand it's a business. The Lakers did what they felt was in their best interest, and I'm just very thankful for them giving me an opportunity to come back to L.A., and to just have an opportunity to win a championship.

"It's very difficult, but everything happens for a reason. I'm super excited about my purpose on this team, and moving forward."

You really trust Dwight? Take a good look at his life. Premature decisions, immaturity and an inability to wait have sadly been the hallmark of his otherwise HOF career. Amazing player but in terms of character, gonna go with Pelinka’s word over his.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

You really trust Dwight? Take a good look at his life. Premature decisions, immaturity and an inability to wait have sadly been the hallmark of his otherwise HOF career. Amazing player but in terms of character, gonna go with Pelinka’s word over his.
Well if you take what some have said about Pelinka.........
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject:

Dwight wanted a guaranteed offer from the get go, he was told, it will come. Because McGee was already opted in, so they needed to make a move to get McGee out for Dwight to get that offer.

Then they signed Trez, who is a better player than Dwight at this point in time, on offense, so with AD being a primary 5 in the playoffs, Trez, it leaves Dwight few minutes, really. Dwight saw a situation of having to be a 3rd string guy possibly, in many situations when AD plays 5.

He may have made a mistake, but looking at it just from the standings, Philly and him are doing solid, and he gets consistent PT. I have not seen Dwight play at all this year, so not sure if he is still in the great shape he was last year. But his minutes have been consistent and his stats are very similar to last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

Nowhere near Dwight’s inability to be patient (on and off the court) and be ruled by his emotions. He took a paycut and a lesser role bc Rob said “wait a bit, we don’t have anything done yet.”
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

Nowhere near Dwight’s inability to be patient (on and off the court) and be ruled by his emotions. He took a paycut and a lesser role bc Rob said “wait a bit, we don’t have anything done yet.”
If you have to wait on a minimum contract...you aren't valued.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Quote:

If you have to wait on a minimum contract...you aren't valued.

So then he went a team to get less money? Remember he gets 120% non bird raise. He was also chirping about how he needed to get paid too a few weeks prior.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject:

You mean Dwight is inconsistent and constantly comes with logic that can't be trusted? Perish the thought...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
You mean Dwight is inconsistent and constantly comes with logic that can't be trusted? Perish the thought...

And remember we were going to be up against the hard cap so Rob and company needed the time negotiate and calculate. A little patience and Dwight may have come back. With a little more money and respect.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

he only one missed is Dwight for sure. i don't miss anyone else.
Mcgee had to go because the numbers won't work with him. it will exceed our hard cap.

if last year's team had a short turnaround like this year, i am not sure they will do better.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: