Last year vs This year’s team
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Last year vs This year’s team

Why do you think this current team is just not as good?

- Last year team have actual practice time to fix mistake and bad habits even through the bubble
- No Fans is really starting to affect energy (Javale and Dwight are huge last year)
- Team bonding is lacking - COVID protocol
- Verticality Defense and agile center is lacking (very important in regular season, in the playoff will be different since you play a series and you can counter and make adjustment).

Outlook.

- I feel this team is still one of the favorite to win. Getting a def big won’t be too hard to find in the buyout market. This team has almost all the pieces as long as AD n LBJ is healthy. I feel once the playoff comes around, and LBJ is in his drive to basket self this team will he hard to eliminate.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I know last years team was fun. Even when we were winning I just didn’t get that same feel. Team chemistry or lack of an offensive system is don’t know, but our offense even when healthy looked so sloppy compared to other teams.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Last year’s team had an identity, we were BIG.

Even when we couldn’t make shots, we got by with our defensive length.

This year, what’s our identity?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

We are missing the Dwight/McGee combo that gave LBJ a lob outlet on drives, which was good for 6-10 points a game. Let alone the rim defense that added as well. We can’t pound the paint like last season and even the fear of us doing that would open up the court for us. I feel like a Whiteside or even a healthy Mo Bamba could make a significant difference. I’d love to see us move Kuzma in a deal for Buddy Heild/Whiteside somehow...this answers a lot of our issues.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject:

This years team beats the bricks off last year's team, if both teams are healthy.

Kicking our current team when it's missing it's 2nd and 3rd offensive options is a bit premature.
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Last year’s team had an identity, we were BIG.

Even when we couldn’t make shots, we got by with our defensive length.

We're still big but more slow footed. Harrell is smaller than Dwight too. McGee seems quicker than Gasol. Those 2 things and the team seemingly tired and/or less motivated after a long season and short postseason. If they can get (stay) healthier they will crank it up down the stretch. Be hot in the playoffs.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject:

We were 6-3 last year without AD scoring 121 pts/game

We are 5-5 this year without AD scoring 108 pts/game

Schroder also counts but we just were a different beast last year and the role players fought hard and kept all games close.

Switching Dwight/McGee/Danny Green/Rondo/Avery Bradley for Gasol/Wes/Schroder/Harrell is about equal talent wise (99.9999% its basically Schroder/Harrell) but we also lost depth/height/defenders/chemistry and a leader in Rondo.

all in favor of 2 iso players

Last edited by Nnamdi21 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I said it before that the best thing to do was run it back. Way too much tinkering has affected chances to win. Without any assets to speak of, is the backup big gonna be someone like Noah? Replacing bonafide playmakers and defenders with scoring numbers was fool’s gold, imo.

Last year the big guys forced others to go small. We beat them big, and when we competed against small ball, we won that too. Chemistry is more than just scoring and stats. This team is better than they look lately when they’re at full strength, but the bench looks like individuals with flaws.

Interestingly, a similar thread with a poll asked which team was better and the majority chose this year. The lack of practice is the same challenge all other teams have so there’s no disadvantage there. I’m familiar with the short offseason but that primarily affected LBJ, AD, KCP, AC, Kuzma, and Morris, 6 of your 11 rotation players who played consistent minutes. I don’t buy the tired leg syndrome 30 games into the season. They had almost a 4 month mid season break before that.

Last edited by lakersboy on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka put this **** team together. This team is not as good because look at all the dead weight we have this year. Gasol, KCP, and Wes give us next to nothing on a nightly basis. Morris has pretty much done the same.

Throw in Dudley and McKinnie and you might as well forget about it. That's basically half the roster.

We have no chance vs. good teams.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject:

This year's team is more talented for sure.

I just think we had so many things go our way the last season (players' hunger to win the chip, better suited for the bubble due to team chemistry, good mix of veterans, long layoff for Lebron, etc..). And also other teams just weren't as good.

This year, some teams have retooled to take on the Lakers while the Lakers also did improve, but other teams' upgrades just seem to work better. At least for now.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
This years team beats the bricks off last year's team, if both teams are healthy.

Kicking our current team when it's missing it's 2nd and 3rd offensive options is a bit premature.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject:

A classic case of thinking guys who score more are better. When you have Lebron and Davis, you only need the right fit and chemistry. What you don't need is two bench players who think they are better than they really are.

I thought Harrell and Dennis were over rated and over paid coming in and I still feel that way. Then there is Gasol and Matthews who have been borderline terrible.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject:

This year's team is more talented.

But last year's team didn't have to deal with the shortest offseason in history, had a well-rested Lebron from missing the playoffs the prior season and had a relatively healthy Anthony Davis who, if rumors are to be believed, came into this season out of shape.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject:

This team is composed of better individual talent, but last year's TEAM was better.

Everyone had a role, knew it, and did what they could / had to to fulfill that role. Kobe's death during the season gave them a reason to bond together and see the season through to the ultimate goal and basically forced them to build chemistry and do it for Kobe and the organization.

Last year's season and team was the lightning-in-a-bottle original movie that was beloved by all and this season is the disappointing sequel.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject:

If injuries weren't there, this year team should be better, the only reason last year team is hypothetically better is because AD's play dropped off from MVP/DPOY level, DS/Trez role playing improvement can't overcome that drop off
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

Motivation is a big factor. Lakers had an edge they played with last year that they do not have this year. Bron was playing against the Washed King, Kawhi is King of LA angle. AD was playing against the we gave up too much for him, is he really gonna be the next great Lakers big or Dwight 2.0, angle. We were underrated by the media. Then Kobe Bean. All that motivation, Bron-AD + Kobe now.

This year it is simply about just surviving the schedule. Read Morris quote after the game. He says he has never played so much ball in such a short time.

Yes we lost key guys in Danny, Rondo and Dwight, You can not easily replace champion role players. But this team only wins when Bron and AD play on the level of Shaq and Kobe. This season, AD has been injured. He is at about 70-80%. Bron is coasting, even though playing well, not with the same determination as last year. We also made some changes, that make our offense a little less cohesive. Our blue print was a lot simpler last year.

We need 3 things to repeat IMO

1) AD to be healthy enough to be AD (27-10 a night with elite D).
2) Bron to be in playoff mode and healthy,
3) Dennis or someone to elevate our 2nd unit, when Bron sits or has an off game in the playoffs.

If we get those 3 things, I take us against anyone in a playoff setting.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:

Last year's team without AD would have looked a lot worse IMO. Then you take out what is the equivalent of Dennis too?

Our team is premised upon a 2 star system. Then Dennis is our next player. I can't imagine any version of that team doing better with so many key pieces out. I think Dennis's COVID absence has hurt us. We went 5-1 with him, and have lost 4 (and I think we 2 or even 3 of those with him).
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
A classic case of thinking guys who score more are better. When you have Lebron and Davis, you only need the right fit and chemistry. What you don't need is two bench players who think they are better than they really are.

I thought Harrell and Dennis were over rated and over paid coming in and I still feel that way. Then there is Gasol and Matthews who have been borderline terrible.

Perfectly said. DS and Trez are way too overrated. both these guys play for themselves. they don't make anyone better.

DS is a glorified bench player. he is not a starter on a championship team. Trez gives more points than he scores.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
defense wrote:

Perfectly said. DS and Trez are way too overrated. both these guys play for themselves. they don't make anyone better.

DS is a glorified bench player. he is not a starter on a championship team. Trez gives more points than he scores.

This is also a case of glorifying a brilliant one year run, where AD was mostly healthy and LBJ playing at a higher level.

Trezz/Dennis are not the problem. AD being hurt and our role players utterly crapping the bed are.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject:

Last year's team will beat this years team in a playoff series.

You can not replace Rondo
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
We were 6-3 last year without AD scoring 121 pts/game

We are 5-5 this year without AD scoring 108 pts/game

Schroder also counts but we just were a different beast last year and the role players fought hard and kept all games close.

Switching Dwight/McGee/Danny Green/Rondo/Avery Bradley for Gasol/Wes/Schroder/Harrell is about equal talent wise (99.9999% its basically Schroder/Harrell) but we also lost depth/height/defenders/chemistry and a leader in Rondo.

all in favor of 2 iso players

When healthy aren’t our team stats elite on both sides? Last year I thought we bumbled around in December and lost some games
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Last year vs This year’s team

DLaker wrote:
Why do you think this current team is just not as good?

- Last year team have actual practice time to fix mistake and bad habits even through the bubble
- No Fans is really starting to affect energy (Javale and Dwight are huge last year)
- Team bonding is lacking - COVID protocol
- Verticality Defense and agile center is lacking (very important in regular season, in the playoff will be different since you play a series and you can counter and make adjustment).

Outlook.

- I feel this team is still one of the favorite to win. Getting a def big won’t be too hard to find in the buyout market. This team has almost all the pieces as long as AD n LBJ is healthy. I feel once the playoff comes around, and LBJ is in his drive to basket self this team will he hard to eliminate.

This team is perceived by some as not as good because (a) Davis is currently injured and (b) we know that last year's team won and we don't know what will happen with this year's team.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

I think its pretty simple. There’s no chemistry on this years team. And as the losses mount up its clear these guys are not working as a team.

Maybe it changes, but it’s a team sports issue. Some teams just don’t gel - regardless of how good on paper they are.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

Last year's team has a ring, so therefore, this year's team, which doesn't have a ring, is not as good.

Did I do it correctly?
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

Since the Bucks game we're dead last in 3pt% while also committing the most turnovers. Impressive
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: