Ditto Heads in Mourning. Rush Limbaugh is a goner.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88134
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Trying to kill someone, wishing them dead, enjoying their death, and being glad they died, are all very different parts of a continuum, and context matters. I’m glad because alive he was as responsible as any single person for the hatred on the GOP side of the aisle, responsible for real deaths and countless suffering. So while trying to kill him is wrong, wishing for his death is wrong, and enjoying it on a visceral level of pleasure is wrong, being glad that he cannot do what he does any longer is neither wrong nor what the GOP haters do.


The chasm between those two is so vast they aren't even on the same continent.


They are on a continuum on this topic though. Actively looking to cause a death, wishing for it, enjoying it if it happens, and being fine with it happening when it does are all possible reactions to a person one finds abhorrent.


Not at all. By that rationalization, you may as well add advocating for the genocide of all people similar to Limbaugh to the top of your chain of continuum.


Actually, that would be true if your continuum was all possible reactions to his death, although it would not be all the way to the “top” (by which I assume you mean one end). A continuum is every option from one extreme to the other. Being a mass murder is on the same continuum as being a life saving hero if the continuum is things people do with their lives, for example, even though you would rightly say they are nowhere near the same thing. They are, however, on the continuum I just named.

The entire point here is that there are lots of ways to deal with the death of Limbaugh, and while some are obviously wrong (like actively working to cause it) and others are obviously not, at some point on the continuum you cross from wrong to not wrong. My contention is that being glad he’s gone is on the OK side ethically where being pleasured by it would be just on the other side.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88134
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject:

The reason I listed that continuum in relation to someone saying he wasn’t going to be happy about it because he didn’t want to be like the other side, the other side does and has actually taken measures to try and kill people they considered evil on our side (like Nancy Pelosi or even Mike Pence when he went along with democratic norms), so we shouldn’t be too worried about feeling positively that Limbaugh is dead in comparison while having had neither activity nor advocacy toward taking his life.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Posts: 201

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject:

My points"

From Omar Little "The entire point here is that there are lots of ways to deal with the death of Limbaugh...."

I did a little dance.

Around 20 years ago someone told me that I should listen to rush because even though he was a little over the top he was critical of both the republicans and democrats. Well I tried listening once in a while and:
-he was a pompous jerk
-he was almost never critical of republicans.
-The people that called in all had the same message: "rush I'm bowing down to you and I thank you for enlightening us. And rush, you are MY ONLY SOURCE FOR NEWS".

If we gave this guy the Medal of Freedom award we might as well give one to Jared Kushner, all of the Proud Boys, and the legendry John Holmes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 2723
Location: 6.1.9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject:

Holmes would deserve it more than those (GOP) hacks.
_________________
Lakers & Dodgers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 47735

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Holmes would deserve it more than those (GOP) hacks.


One had a huge dick. The other was a huge dick.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32008

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Trying to kill someone, wishing them dead, enjoying their death, and being glad they died, are all very different parts of a continuum, and context matters. I’m glad because alive he was as responsible as any single person for the hatred on the GOP side of the aisle, responsible for real deaths and countless suffering. So while trying to kill him is wrong, wishing for his death is wrong, and enjoying it on a visceral level of pleasure is wrong, being glad that he cannot do what he does any longer is neither wrong nor what the GOP haters do.


The chasm between those two is so vast they aren't even on the same continent.


They are on a continuum on this topic though. Actively looking to cause a death, wishing for it, enjoying it if it happens, and being fine with it happening when it does are all possible reactions to a person one finds abhorrent.


Not at all. By that rationalization, you may as well add advocating for the genocide of all people similar to Limbaugh to the top of your chain of continuum.


Actually, that would be true if your continuum was all possible reactions to his death, although it would not be all the way to the “top” (by which I assume you mean one end). A continuum is every option from one extreme to the other. Being a mass murder is on the same continuum as being a life saving hero if the continuum is things people do with their lives, for example, even though you would rightly say they are nowhere near the same thing. They are, however, on the continuum I just named.

The entire point here is that there are lots of ways to deal with the death of Limbaugh, and while some are obviously wrong (like actively working to cause it) and others are obviously not, at some point on the continuum you cross from wrong to not wrong. My contention is that being glad he’s gone is on the OK side ethically where being pleasured by it would be just on the other side.



Guilty pleasures are vastly underrated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48148
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Trying to kill someone, wishing them dead, enjoying their death, and being glad they died, are all very different parts of a continuum, and context matters. I’m glad because alive he was as responsible as any single person for the hatred on the GOP side of the aisle, responsible for real deaths and countless suffering. So while trying to kill him is wrong, wishing for his death is wrong, and enjoying it on a visceral level of pleasure is wrong, being glad that he cannot do what he does any longer is neither wrong nor what the GOP haters do.


The chasm between those two is so vast they aren't even on the same continent.


They are on a continuum on this topic though. Actively looking to cause a death, wishing for it, enjoying it if it happens, and being fine with it happening when it does are all possible reactions to a person one finds abhorrent.


Not at all. By that rationalization, you may as well add advocating for the genocide of all people similar to Limbaugh to the top of your chain of continuum.


Actually, that would be true if your continuum was all possible reactions to his death, although it would not be all the way to the “top” (by which I assume you mean one end). A continuum is every option from one extreme to the other. Being a mass murder is on the same continuum as being a life saving hero if the continuum is things people do with their lives, for example, even though you would rightly say they are nowhere near the same thing. They are, however, on the continuum I just named.

The entire point here is that there are lots of ways to deal with the death of Limbaugh, and while some are obviously wrong (like actively working to cause it) and others are obviously not, at some point on the continuum you cross from wrong to not wrong. My contention is that being glad he’s gone is on the OK side ethically where being pleasured by it would be just on the other side.


My point is there is no continuum, at all. There's no correlation between, "I'm gonna kill that miserable POS" and ,"that person is so vile, I'd be happy if he dropped dead today". One is the willfulness to commit an act, the other is a passive acknowledgement that you are ok with something you aren't controlling.

I also don't buy this idea that there is any danger of being like the other side based on how one addresses Limbaugh's death. How someone on the Left feels about his demise is entirely different than how the Right is addressing Democratic leaders. No one on the Left has advocated storming Limbaugh's home en masse to murder him. The Right quite literally did invade the Capitol with the intent of lynching members on both sides of the aisle.

It's just all false equivalence.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88134
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

You’re twisting reality into a pretzel trying to deny a basic fact (that all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh would be on continuum of all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh... by definition of the concept) to argue the exact point I was making. That all responses are not equivalent, and that being glad he’s dead is not the same as what the GOP does. Don’t go full Jod on me.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55424
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You’re twisting reality into a pretzel trying to deny a basic fact (that all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh would be on continuum of all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh... by definition of the concept) to argue the exact point I was making. That all responses are not equivalent, and that being glad he’s dead is not the same as what the GOP does. Don’t go full Jod on me.

WUT
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55424
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
FernieBee wrote:
Holmes would deserve it more than those (GOP) hacks.


One had a huge dick. The other was a huge dick.


How you knew?
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48148
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You’re twisting reality into a pretzel trying to deny a basic fact (that all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh would be on continuum of all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh... by definition of the concept) to argue the exact point I was making. That all responses are not equivalent, and that being glad he’s dead is not the same as what the GOP does. Don’t go full Jod on me.


I'm not twisting anything. I demonstrating an undeniable difference between two completely different things. Trying to tie them into some inter-related "continuum" is where the twisting results.

How you try to get from me demonstrating two things are not related and you saying they are all part of the same thing to me arguing the exact point you were making is where the Jod special enters into it.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88134
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

You realize that a continuum contains all of the things from one extreme to another on any given subject? Including things incredibly unlike each other except their relationship to the subject? For example, you realize there are people who have tried to kill Nancy pelosi, those who wish she’d die, those that love her and hope she lives forever, and those who have never heard of her, and therefore don’t care or have no opinion one way or the other? And all of these are on the continuum of opinions on the death of Nancy Pelosi. That’s how a continuum works.

Getting out over your skis because you didn’t understand the point I was making is fine. No harm in it.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55424
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Uh Oh. 2 of the 3 stooges going at it. LINK
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88134
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Uh Oh. 2 of the 3 stooges going at it. LINK


Lol, one of them has been arguing too often with you and got your techniques by osmosis!
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55424
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Uh Oh. 2 of the 3 stooges going at it. LINK


Lol, one of them has been arguing too often with you and got your techniques by osmosis!

_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55424
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You’re twisting reality into a pretzel trying to deny a basic fact (that all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh would be on continuum of all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh... by definition of the concept) to argue the exact point I was making. That all responses are not equivalent, and that being glad he’s dead is not the same as what the GOP does. Don’t go full Jod on me.


I'm not twisting anything. I demonstrating an undeniable difference between two completely different things. Trying to tie them into some inter-related "continuum" is where the twisting results.

How you try to get from me demonstrating two things are not related and you saying they are all part of the same thing to me arguing the exact point you were making is where the Jod special enters into it.

Seeing that you involved me in your disagreement with OL, I'll opine. OL's correct by the definition of continuum.

Definition of continuum

1: a coherent whole characterized as a collection, sequence, or progression of values or elements varying by minute degrees
"good" and "bad" … stand at opposite ends of a continuum instead of describing the two halves of a line
— Wayne Shumaker
2: the set of real numbers including both the rationals and the irrationals
broadly : a compact set which cannot be separated into two sets neither of which contains a limit point of the other
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48148
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You’re twisting reality into a pretzel trying to deny a basic fact (that all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh would be on continuum of all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh... by definition of the concept) to argue the exact point I was making. That all responses are not equivalent, and that being glad he’s dead is not the same as what the GOP does. Don’t go full Jod on me.


I'm not twisting anything. I demonstrating an undeniable difference between two completely different things. Trying to tie them into some inter-related "continuum" is where the twisting results.

How you try to get from me demonstrating two things are not related and you saying they are all part of the same thing to me arguing the exact point you were making is where the Jod special enters into it.

Seeing that you involved me in your disagreement with OL, I'll opine. OL's correct by the definition of continuum.

Definition of continuum

1: a coherent whole characterized as a collection, sequence, or progression of values or elements varying by minute degrees
"good" and "bad" … stand at opposite ends of a continuum instead of describing the two halves of a line
— Wayne Shumaker
2: the set of real numbers including both the rationals and the irrationals
broadly : a compact set which cannot be separated into two sets neither of which contains a limit point of the other


I know what continuum means . . . but thanks for your effort.

It's not the definition of the word that's the issue, it is whether it reasonably exists between wanting to engage in the act of murder and simply feeling you'd be happy if someone dropped dead (hint: it doesn't).
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 88134
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

lol quiz: name a half dozen points on a continuum of thoughts people have about the death of people they loathe on a visceral level. Start with glad they are dead and work your way darker...
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 55424
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a learning experience.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
You’re twisting reality into a pretzel trying to deny a basic fact (that all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh would be on continuum of all possible responses to the death of Limbaugh... by definition of the concept) to argue the exact point I was making. That all responses are not equivalent, and that being glad he’s dead is not the same as what the GOP does. Don’t go full Jod on me.


I'm not twisting anything. I demonstrating an undeniable difference between two completely different things. Trying to tie them into some inter-related "continuum" is where the twisting results.

How you try to get from me demonstrating two things are not related and you saying they are all part of the same thing to me arguing the exact point you were making is where the Jod special enters into it.

Seeing that you involved me in your disagreement with OL, I'll opine. OL's correct by the definition of continuum.

Definition of continuum

1: a coherent whole characterized as a collection, sequence, or progression of values or elements varying by minute degrees
"good" and "bad" … stand at opposite ends of a continuum instead of describing the two halves of a line
— Wayne Shumaker
2: the set of real numbers including both the rationals and the irrationals
broadly : a compact set which cannot be separated into two sets neither of which contains a limit point of the other


I know what continuum means . . . but thanks for your effort.

It's not the definition of the word that's the issue, it is whether it reasonably exists between wanting to engage in the act of murder and simply feeling you'd be happy if someone dropped dead (hint: it doesn't).


I'm sure you do. I posted it to bolster OL's position. Note the bold green.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Your prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is NO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 48148
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:


I know what continuum means . . . but thanks for your effort.

It's not the definition of the word that's the issue, it is whether it reasonably exists between wanting to engage in the act of murder and simply feeling you'd be happy if someone dropped dead (hint: it doesn't).


I'm sure you do. I posted it to bolster OL's position. Note the bold green.


And yet you felt the need to post otherwise.

I'm happy for you both and Omar that you found common ground. And your ability to not only post in just bold but also in green is commendable. Kudos to the both of you.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB