*** Detroit Pistons @ Los Angeles Lakers (02/06/21 @ 7:00PM PST) Gm#24***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 6099

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
We made that about 10 times harder than it needed to be, but at least the extra minutes got us a win. Worst thing is you play AD and Bron all those minutes in a RS game and lose.

The issue is our effort level and coasting mode. We switch into a very lazy style of offense, and it also transfers into the D.

When you have the weapons we do, Dennis, Bron, THT, AD. And then you see guys get the ball with about 3 seconds left. That is a sign the team is a) coasting b) tired and c) playing passive basketball.


Wolf - what is your assessment as why the Lakers have those moments (I have dubbed "G League/3 stooges") of offense when they start having a bunch of unforced turnovers in a small time span? I just dont get it. Seems to hit them almost every game.

I also do not understand why, in the 4th, three times this year I can recall their offense has gone into that coast/tired/passive basketball you mention, where they seem to just settle for jumpers (and often contested ones)


Ask James. The ball is usually in his hands in those moments.

Sometimes settling for 3s works, sometimes it doesn’t.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Dec 2013
Posts: 5739

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Denver getting rid of Grant was a mistake

Would prefer him over porter but it was about $


pay him


They’re in contention— need to maximize chances. Mistake to let him walk.


I thought they matched Detroit’s offer, but maybe he was offended by that or maybe he wanted his own team with emergence of Murray/Jokic/Porter as the big 3.

He has become a hell of a player though.


He was a pain in the playoffs. I think he wanted to see if he could be his own "star" - hard to do with Murray and Jokic in front of you.

Could be as simple as he went to High School in Maryland, then Syracuse for college- Maybe he just likes the east coast/ great lakes vibe...
He does flop a bit tho, which I have zero respect for .
_________________
Creatures crawl in search of blood, To terrorize y'all's neighborhood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 8860

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Just occurred to me: Lakers held 2 of the league's better offenses to under 100 points (Celtics 95; Denver 93)...come in tonight and could not stop DET in the 4th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 8860

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
DrDent wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Denver getting rid of Grant was a mistake

Would prefer him over porter but it was about $


pay him


They’re in contention— need to maximize chances. Mistake to let him walk.


I thought they matched Detroit’s offer, but maybe he was offended by that or maybe he wanted his own team with emergence of Murray/Jokic/Porter as the big 3.

He has become a hell of a player though.


He was a pain in the playoffs. I think he wanted to see if he could be his own "star" - hard to do with Murray and Jokic in front of you.

Could be as simple as he went to High School in Maryland, then Syracuse for college- Maybe he just likes the east coast/ great lakes vibe...
He does flop a bit tho, which I have zero respect for .


He was on my offseason pipe-dream list for the Lakers. Yea, that was one hell of a strong pipe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Aug 2004
Posts: 4210
Location: Next door to 24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
_#1_ wrote:
No matter. Can't be thrilled with this win. I'll take it but unpack it later.


To sum up:

Sort of a summary of a number of games this year. The Lakers are generally good for at least 1, if not 2, 4-5 minute stretches of G-League basketball in a game. By that I mean either on offense, or defense, or both. It's usually characterized (when this happens) by the Lakers offense turning into the 3 stooges, or alternatively not starting any real offensive action until play clock at 10 second or 5 second mark and settling for a jumper. They've had long stretches of inability to score when this happens, and of course the opponent goes on a run.

With that said, the Lakers also have it in them to have long stretches of awe-inspiring basketball. For 8 minutes, 5 second in the third, (funny enough I thought it was longer), Lakers held Pistons to under 10 points in the quarter. Built a 17 point lead. Defense looked ridiculously good.

After that? Pistons scored 44 points in a little under 16 minutes (44-27 run to end regulation).

Add ontop of that, Pistons were 1) on the second night of a B2B 2) had 3 of their better players not even playing 3) and it took two OT's to beat a bunch of guys...

Yea, annoying. Shrug.

I'll take the W, but it's a headscratcher to me. Literally best defense vs what was already a bad offense minus 3 of their better players, and you struggle to get the W.


On that run the guys just quit defense of any kind barring AC on some plays. Up 17 to down 1 with 28sec to play. Against the Sisters of Mercy.

On top of that we're running the old man's wheels off. No 6 month break this year. This kind of win makes you more pissed then some losses.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 54674

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
We made that about 10 times harder than it needed to be, but at least the extra minutes got us a win. Worst thing is you play AD and Bron all those minutes in a RS game and lose.

The issue is our effort level and coasting mode. We switch into a very lazy style of offense, and it also transfers into the D.

When you have the weapons we do, Dennis, Bron, THT, AD. And then you see guys get the ball with about 3 seconds left. That is a sign the team is a) coasting b) tired and c) playing passive basketball.


Wolf - what is your assessment as why the Lakers have those moments (I have dubbed "G League/3 stooges") of offense when they start having a bunch of unforced turnovers in a small time span? I just dont get it. Seems to hit them almost every game.

I also do not understand why, in the 4th, three times this year I can recall their offense has gone into that coast/tired/passive basketball you mention, where they seem to just settle for jumpers (and often contested ones)

It has a lot to do with coasting, and a lack of fire. No urgency, We may be 18-6, but we play with the urgency of a team that already has the #1 seed in the bag by miles.

The good thing is it seems we are load managing without actually giving guys nights off. But there's a lot of energy savings going on right now. Lebron often doesn't bring the ball up, and we initiate the offense at a snail's pace. By having Dennis simply be an offense initiator, we are just giving Bron the green light to sleep walk until he gets the ball. AD often calls for the ball, only to realize the shotclock is winding down and it's not coming so he goes out and spaces the floor. Once this happens, you get a passive AD, and then a lazy Lebron as well.

I expected some of this considering the turnaround.

The TOs are just lazy low IQ low mental involvement stuff. The Lakers literally look like they're sleep walking some of these games.

What frustrate me are the non-Bron lineups. We have more talent than the other 2nd unit, but get out played. Simply by execution and IQ.


Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 8860

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject:

AD...5 boards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 8860

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject:

_#1_ wrote:
DrDent wrote:
_#1_ wrote:
No matter. Can't be thrilled with this win. I'll take it but unpack it later.


To sum up:

Sort of a summary of a number of games this year. The Lakers are generally good for at least 1, if not 2, 4-5 minute stretches of G-League basketball in a game. By that I mean either on offense, or defense, or both. It's usually characterized (when this happens) by the Lakers offense turning into the 3 stooges, or alternatively not starting any real offensive action until play clock at 10 second or 5 second mark and settling for a jumper. They've had long stretches of inability to score when this happens, and of course the opponent goes on a run.

With that said, the Lakers also have it in them to have long stretches of awe-inspiring basketball. For 8 minutes, 5 second in the third, (funny enough I thought it was longer), Lakers held Pistons to under 10 points in the quarter. Built a 17 point lead. Defense looked ridiculously good.

After that? Pistons scored 44 points in a little under 16 minutes (44-27 run to end regulation).

Add ontop of that, Pistons were 1) on the second night of a B2B 2) had 3 of their better players not even playing 3) and it took two OT's to beat a bunch of guys...

Yea, annoying. Shrug.

I'll take the W, but it's a headscratcher to me. Literally best defense vs what was already a bad offense minus 3 of their better players, and you struggle to get the W.


On that run the guys just quit defense of any kind barring AC on some plays. Up 17 to down 1 with 28sec to play. Against the Sisters of Mercy.

On top of that we're running the old man's wheels off. No 6 month break this year. This kind of win makes you more pissed then some losses.


Def. feels like a pyrrhic victory to me. Better than an L, but eesh.

Hoping they wipe this one away with more focused ball over the next couple weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 8860

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DrDent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
We made that about 10 times harder than it needed to be, but at least the extra minutes got us a win. Worst thing is you play AD and Bron all those minutes in a RS game and lose.

The issue is our effort level and coasting mode. We switch into a very lazy style of offense, and it also transfers into the D.

When you have the weapons we do, Dennis, Bron, THT, AD. And then you see guys get the ball with about 3 seconds left. That is a sign the team is a) coasting b) tired and c) playing passive basketball.


Wolf - what is your assessment as why the Lakers have those moments (I have dubbed "G League/3 stooges") of offense when they start having a bunch of unforced turnovers in a small time span? I just dont get it. Seems to hit them almost every game.

I also do not understand why, in the 4th, three times this year I can recall their offense has gone into that coast/tired/passive basketball you mention, where they seem to just settle for jumpers (and often contested ones)

It has a lot to do with coasting, and a lack of fire. No urgency, We may be 18-6, but we play with the urgency of a team that already has the #1 seed in the bag by miles.

The good thing is it seems we are load managing without actually giving guys nights off. But there's a lot of energy savings going on right now. Lebron often doesn't bring the ball up, and we initiate the offense at a snail's pace. By having Dennis simply be an offense initiator, we are just giving Bron the green light to sleep walk until he gets the ball. AD often calls for the ball, only to realize the shotclock is winding down and it's not coming so he goes out and spaces the floor. Once this happens, you get a passive AD, and then a lazy Lebron as well.

I expected some of this considering the turnaround.

The TOs are just lazy low IQ low mental involvement stuff. The Lakers literally look like they're sleep walking some of these games.

What frustrate me are the non-Bron lineups. We have more talent than the other 2nd unit, but get out played. Simply by execution and IQ.


Thanks Wolf. My wife was staring at me with a quizzical look as I went from elated ("look at the defense in the third!"); to more subdued ("hey, everything ok honey?"); to "$#!%!! score!!! What is wrong with you guys?!" ("Honey, remind me again why I married you?")
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Mar 2015
Posts: 1474

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Can we contribute AD’s lack of aggressiveness near the rim to his free throw struggles?

We’re is the man that lived at the line?

Seems like he’s in a funk, while a center like embidd is on a roll and confident.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DrDent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jun 2016
Posts: 8860

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Can we contribute AD’s lack of aggressiveness near the rim to his free throw struggles?

We’re is the man that lived at the line?

Seems like he’s in a funk, while a center like embidd is on a roll and confident.


His rebounds are down as well, seems like that started happening in the playoffs last year and carried over to this year. He was a walking double double, at a solid 25ish/10. But this year it's not unsurprising to see him end up with less 20 points and less than 8 boards.

I've pondered if it's that shoulder issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
leking006
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Oct 2018
Posts: 1667

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Cant believe these guys comparing this lakers to flippers last season. Guys here aint chokers, they are lock in whenever they face top teams. Stop it. AD is just in a slump, he will eventually get back his bearing before the playoffs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 13814
Location: L.A County, 26 miles away from Staples Center

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Always set my dvr for an extra 30 to 40 minutes extra in case of overtime not expecting double OT against the last place team in the league.

So the dvr stopped at the 3 hour mark (Lakers 132 Pistons 127 2OT with :26.6 left remaining) so I immediately go to LG.net for kicks to see if we closed the deal
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 13814
Location: L.A County, 26 miles away from Staples Center

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
Can we contribute AD’s lack of aggressiveness near the rim to his free throw struggles?

We’re is the man that lived at the line?

Seems like he’s in a funk, while a center like embidd is on a roll and confident.


His rebounds are down as well, seems like that started happening in the playoffs last year and carried over to this year. He was a walking double double, at a solid 25ish/10. But this year it's not unsurprising to see him end up with less 20 points and less than 8 boards.

I've pondered if it's that shoulder issue.


All these power dunks tells me his shoulders are fine.

It’s more of the fact AD got a taste of Championship basketball and is cruising saving himself for the real deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2006
Posts: 13814
Location: L.A County, 26 miles away from Staples Center

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject:

Lebron 45 minutes +8

AD 46 minutes +9


Looks like a lot of chillin with Lobos tequila for them on Super Bowl Sunday
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Posts: 1100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Cant believe these guys comparing this lakers to flippers last season. Guys here aint chokers, they are lock in whenever they face top teams. Stop it. AD is just in a slump, he will eventually get back his bearing before the playoffs.


I know you get unreasonably offended when anyone dare compare the approach of the two teams, so I will wind it back and restate for the umpteenth time.

It is about the approach. Last year, this Laker organization was locked in night-in, night-out, not coasting and disrespecting the regular season. The team in the basement, however, was not. They were pacing themselves until the playoffs, relying on talent every night to win. That has become our approach this season and Kuzma said as much in a recent interview.

Whine all you want about the comparisons, but they are closer than you'd like to believe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1546
Location: Yorba Linda, Ca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

That was some 'revenge' game. Good lord!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2017
Posts: 1254

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
Lebron 45 minutes +8

AD 46 minutes +9


Looks like a lot of chillin with Lobos tequila for them on Super Bowl Sunday


They should definitely take off Mondays OKC game after this and Super Bowl tequila day. Vogel should say, “See you both Wednesday.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 8764
Location: SGV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject:

Very dissapointed we did not beat them by 30+. I don't know what about us turns the Pistons from a YMCA squad into a respectable team.

Josh Jackson tricked another unfortunate team to giving him a contract this offseason with this performance.
_________________
2020-2021 Depth Chart: Let's do it again
Schröder/Caruso/Horton-Tucker
Caldwell-Pope/Matthews/McLemore
James/Kuzma/McKinnie
Davis/Morris/Dudley
Drummond/Harrell/Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 02 Jul 2018
Posts: 483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

I guess its just human nature to play to the level of your opponent, I would think with a championship caliber squad they would be over that but this game was an indication they are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB