61%
 61%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 21

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Manning has never shown me the ability to rise above a true challenge and lead his team to greatness when the chips were stacked against him throughout his entire career. When something start to go wrong, its over for him.

A big part of this is coaching. Have any of his coaches “shown the ability to rise above a true challenge and lead his team to greatness?” Nope. He had to overcome the bad coaching.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
^Even Brady admitted that he was pissed off because he thought he fumbled the ball and lost the game. Later his kicker made two difficult kicks in the snow, and another to win the Super Bowl.

I do think he had a mental advantage from winning it so quickly, like Montana. Nobody ever questioned if he could win a ring after that. Especially when he was in the playoffs two years later and had proven himself by then.

He didn’t get the media and fans constantly questioning him and calling him a choker. Manning, Lebron, Shaq and even Kobe received that type of treatment. I do think it can affect athletes mentally if they constantly have the media questioning their play in the clutch and calling them choker. Even teammates can buy into that talk and trust you less, especially when people can point to previous playoff games the athlete came up short in.

Steve, but Brady separated himself from those guys at a young age by proving that he had more poise than all of them did when they were young. Manning's chokings are almost Kershaw-esque...no need to talk about him. Bron first half of his career was a mental midget who was visibly intimidated by Kobe. Shaquille didnt take his Orlando years seriously and hence, the sweep at the hands of the Rockets - the Bulls sweep was just Chicago so much more superior. Kobe never and I mean never had the poise Brady had. Kobe improved drastically n this regard but when it came to the biggest moment that he wasnt used to again (game 7 vs Boston), that same lack of poise that you saw vs Utah reared its ugly head again. Brady's poise was evident from his first playoff run and you see this in guys that are the best playoff performers like Koufax, Schilling, Jordan and Brady....its that they ALWAYS displayed poise even from the very beginning. They didnt need to learn into it.

It was easy for Brady to have poise when he was younger because not much was asked of him. He was told to just manage the game and that was enough when backed up by a great defense. It was only later in his career after he won rings as a game manager that he was asked to play to a lot more. And Brady teammates tended to play well, just like his teammates outplayed Mahomes teammates by a huge margin.

Manning had a (bleep) defense and was forced to try and score at least 30 a game. He couldn’t be cautious, try to make the easy, safe throws and try to win 20-10 or 17-3.

Manning, Kershaw, Shaq, Kobe-these guys had to deal with much higher expectations from the start and that increases pressure. Brady in his first season was basically an underdog for most of the playoffs. All he had to do was show up and even if he lost, he lived up to expectations. If he completed a one yard pass he was exceeding expectations-nobody was going to give him much (bleep) for losing because he wasn’t even supposed to be there.

I do think there is some truth to what you’re saying though. However, notice that the biggest LeBron choke of all was in the series against Dallas. There was a ton of pressure and expectations with that Miami team that year. Far more than Brady faced earlier in his career. Probably the most pressure Brady faced in the Super Bowl was after the undefeated season. That was his best team and they played their worst game by far and lost.

All true but I think with certain guys, they instill confidence under adversity and you arent that worried. Like comparing Fernando and Kershaw. When Fernando runs into trouble in a BIG game (which he did sometimes even in big games because his control wasnt the greatest), he just gives off that stoic confidence and NEVER melted down and always found a way to get out of that jam by becoming more focused and making better pitches. Now he may lose the game, but he loses it like 3-2, 2-1 where you know its not his mental toughness that was the issue but just his typical control problems and he found a way to get out of it but just got outpitched. Well, you know what happens often with Kershaw. When he starts running into trouble, lets be honest, we are all waiting for that dam to burst and we saw it again against the Braves this year in Gm 4 but he did show me something when he didnt blow-up and instead locked down despite not having his best stuff the 2nd time vs the Rays.

As for Brady, that undefeated Pats team seemed like it was running on fumes and they noticeably struggled vs the Chargers in the AFC championship. Yes Brady and the Pats did not play well but even in that game, Brady made clutch plays at the end that almost won the game for them. Again we can all see that it wasnt Brady shrinking as the reason they lost but simply the Pats got outplayed. The greatest playoff GOATS dont always win or even play well but I guess my point is, you can see that when they lose, its because they had a bad day or were beaten but they dont beat themselves because of their mental weakness/lack of capability of rising to the occasion of a big moment and much more often than not, they succeed in the highest stakes.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
with certain guys, they instill confidence under adversity and you arent that worried.

This is a trait I think Brady does have. Manning and even Kobe did look like they panicked at times to me. Shaq looked scared when he was shooting free throws.

Unfortunately the confidence from Brady does have a downside to it, but off the field. I didn’t realize he was refusing to wear a mask yesterday, both while entering the stadium and during the trophy celebration. He even told someone from the media to get closer to him in an interview. It seemed like he was a Trump supporter and I’m more certain of it now.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:
with certain guys, they instill confidence under adversity and you arent that worried.

This is a trait I think Brady does have. Manning and even Kobe did look like they panicked at times to me. Shaq looked scared when he was shooting free throws.

Unfortunately the confidence from Brady does have a downside to it, but off the field. I didn’t realize he was refusing to wear a mask yesterday, both while entering the stadium and during the trophy celebration. He even told someone from the media to get closer to him in an interview. It seemed like he was a Trump supporter and I’m more certain of it now.

He’s been quite public about it.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

Thats idiotic and disappointing. If he is a conservative or even support Trump, that is his choice but the lack of defying common sense with the mask is disappointing
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

Thats idiotic and disappointing. If he is a conservative or even support Trump, that is his choice but the lack of defying common sense with the mask is disappointing

Those two things in a Venn Diagram kind of make one circle...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

He is also among a collection of extremely wealthy business owners who took almost a million dollars from the PPP loans program that was intended for small business owners who were dependent on them to stay in business.

Tom's a GOAT alright . . . Greedy Outrageous (bleep) Thief.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

He is also among a collection of extremely wealthy business owners who took almost a million dollars from the PPP loans program that was intended for small business owners who were dependent on them to stay in business.

And as a business owner that barely squeeked in on the 2nd round of PPP loans, we got a fraction of what we asked for. Basically the crumbs leftover after the fat cats stuck their hands in. How much is f'en enough?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

And as a business owner that barely squeeked in on the 2nd round of PPP loans, we got a fraction of what we asked for. Basically the crumbs leftover after the fat cats stuck their hands in. How much is f'en enough?

I remember you mentioning that. To make matters worse, at the same time, Brady was taking delivery of a multimillion dollar yacht.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Quote:

I remember you mentioning that. To make matters worse, at the same time, Brady was taking delivery of a multimillion dollar yacht.

Yeah, we ended up getting help from the city at the height of it. Newport Beach came through...not a lot, but just enough to get us over the tipping point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: