Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
leking006 wrote:
Theseus wrote:
Not worried about the nets at all. Will they even get out of the east? They have a fun team on paper, but when they lose 2 or 3 games in a row they're going to implode.

Who is the Chris Bosh of this team? Harden? He going to contribute with his grit and will to win? He going to be the floor general? Is he going to do the work getting open off the ball?

I just don't think the personnel meshes well.

I dont even think they can beat the Sixers or the Bucks.

Unless they get some major help at center Embiid and Giannis are going to consistently wreck there interior with ease. I could even see the Celtics beating them as much as I hate to give them credit. The Heat if they start turning it up and looking more like last season's bubble team towards the end could be a tough outing for them as well. The big 3 are going to have to play ridiculous minutes nightly in the Playoffs too and that can take it's toll even if they do end up putting it all together and proving so many people wrong.

Nice to see the East stronger then the West. Outside of the Clippers there's no team this Lakers team shouldn't dominate imo.

Lebron effect. If Lebron is still playing in the East now, this West teams are still strong. It's just that the Lebron playing with the Lakers made the conference not balanced.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject:

I just don’t think the Nets can get it together quickly enough to win it all this year. Next year they’ll add a couple players, the stars will have some playing time together, and they’ll be in better shape, so that is when I’ll worry about them more.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject:

KD, Kyrie, Harden healthy on a team together can beat Embiid + Proto-Odom and the Milwaukee Giannis's.

There's no team in the East that threatens a healthy Nets team aside from Boston, as it stands.

I'd be lying if I said I'd think that Giannis by himself could beat that team, or Embiid and Simmons.

Unless Simmons evolves from Odom to LeBron this season then that likely isn't happening.

Currently, only the Celtics would have a chance vs a Healthy nets squad. They have three players capable of averaging 27-30 ppg and an D'Antoni in charge of creating their offense.

On talent alone they are the best team in the East. Even more so than the Celtics, but Stevens can outcoach Nash/D'Antoni.

But Durant can bail out any issues there. So if the Nets are healthy, I'd expect the Lakers to be facing the Celtics or Nets in the Finals this year.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject:

Who do tiu think has a better team composition, the 2012 OKC team who went to the finals against Heat or this Nets team?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject:

The Nets. The Thunder were still babies then, and Durant showed what level he can elevate to in the Finals since then against LeBron. Kyrie is better than Westbrook. Harden still comes up small but he evolved into a 27ppg scorer from when he was a 6th man.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The Nets. The Thunder were still babies then, and Durant showed what level he can elevate to in the Finals since then against LeBron. Kyrie is better than Westbrook. Harden still comes up small but he evolved into a 27ppg scorer from when he was a 6th man.

How about the depth?
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
In a weird way, Kyrie's mental issues and the associated absence could end up preserving his physical health for the playoffs.

His physical health in the playoffs has rarely been an issue. He's 28 not 38

Um... he's missed over 200 games due to injury. He cost one team a championship and another a trip to the championship.

Last edited by PenG_ on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

Can Kyrie pressure D like Schroeder, that was a beauty last night
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
MJST wrote:

How about the depth?

What depth? The Thunder's depth was pretty much Harden as their 6th man.

Ibaka hadn't come into his own yet, Jackson hadn't come into his own yet. Kendrick Perkins was their starting center....

Their top 3 scorers was Durant(28), Westbrook(23) and Harden(17) and after that it dropped down to Ibaka at 9.

If we look at the Nets team

Durant (29.4 ppg)
Kyrie (27 ppg)
Harden when in shape is a 27 ppg guy

Then they have a bench with Joe Harris (14.5 ppg and 50% from three)
They had Dimwiddie but he's unfortunately out for the season
In addition to that they have
Jeff Green
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
They also have Tyler Johnson whom for some reason fell off after having a solid season last year, but with all the talent on their team he's going to have more opportunities now.

They also have Deandre Jordan starting, which to be honest although he's lost a step he'll get wide open lobs and be asked to block shots and rebound and that will be it. So as a 5th option he's where he wants to be.

All and all their starting lineup
Kyrie Irving
James Harden
Kevin Durant
(insert PF here, probably Nicolas Claxton when he's healthy)
Deandre Jordan

Is probably the most 'talent' in the East currently. They don't have a power forward, unless they insert Durant into that spot and move Harris to the starting lineup full time.

Either way, this team having 3 superstars + Deandre Jordan, as well as Joe Harris, Luwawu-Cabarrot and Jeff Green coming off the bench, makes them deeper than the Thunder team that went to the Finals.

Last edited by MJST on Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

From what ive seen, not like that. DS keeps that up and he is likely to match or exceed jrue holidays rep as best defensive pg.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Btw speaking of that I get the impression DS is eating up the defensive role. While he may have been use to scoring 18-20, I get the sense he is really buying into being a terrific defender, even if it means scoring 4-6 less a game.

Consider this: Lakers have a batch of 2 way players. AD, KCP, DS, AC so far this year with his 3s hitting, Wes, engaged LBJ, and I do believe slowly but surely Trez, THT developing that way too. Lakers may have the most 2 way players on a single team in the Association.

Remember the LBJ cavs team weaknesd was after their big 3, most of the rest of their guys were really good shooters, or defenders, but not both.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Defense is always going to be a team effort.

But having solid to above average defenders at multiple positions can really help to the point where even average defense is elevated.

In terms of defenders in our starting lineups

Schroeder (Good/Average)
KCP(Good)
LeBron James (Solid when he decides to be, Average/Below Average when pacing self)
Anthony Davis (Great)
Marc Gasol (Great/Above Average)

So when you put all that together, along with a coach like Vogel, we can maximize that in a very solid way. That's why how devastatingly defensive we could be, started to truly show itself once Davis got engaged on that end after a few games playing himself into a rhythm.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I think Dennis is at the “good” defender status.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Defense is always going to be a team effort.

But having solid to above average defenders at multiple positions can really help to the point where even average defense is elevated.

In terms of defenders in our starting lineups

Schroeder (Good/Average)
KCP(Good)
LeBron James (Solid when he decides to be, Average/Below Average when pacing self)
Anthony Davis (Great)
Marc Gasol (Great/Above Average)

So when you put all that together, along with a coach like Vogel, we can maximize that in a very solid way. That's why how devastatingly defensive we could be, started to truly show itself once Davis got engaged on that end after a few games playing himself into a rhythm.

Only one im still not sure about is Gasol...i joke that he has about 3 “jumps” a game in him (as in both his feet leaving a floor he appears bolted to). With that said jury still out for me as Im still uncertain this version of Gasol is the one we were hoping for.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Statistically Gasol is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, so he'd have to go in the category. It's not flashy or anything but it works and gets the job done.

Him doing all that last year without a defender like Anthony Davis beside him, makes it mesh all the better this year that he does.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

As a surprise to no one, KD going for a 50 piece in his first game with Harden. If they can pick up some defense, they'll be really solid. I miss the days of just worrying about the Clippers.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
As a surprise to no one, KD going for a 50 piece in his first game with Harden. If they can pick up some defense, they'll be really solid. I miss the days of just worrying about the Clippers.

And they're squeaking out a win against the Magic.

Kyrie slots back in which makes their defense more of a turnstile.

I'm watching this game and feel they'll have problems come playoff time. There is zero interior defense and people will pick on Kyrie all day on the perimeter.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject:

I hate the way James Harden plays the game of basketball. That is all.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:

More competition is good. It will make the victories sweeter. Unless you absolutely can't stomach losing.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

I'm watching this game and feel they'll have problems come playoff time. There is zero interior defense and people will pick on Kyrie all day on the perimeter.

I wonder how many Nets fans are wanting to trade Kyrie for pieces.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

More competition is good. It will make the victories sweeter. Unless you absolutely can't stomach losing.

Competition loses its appeal when your favorite player has been the underdog in 7 of 10 Finals.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

IMO Durant and Harden are a championship duo all by themselves and I think they compliment each other magnificently. I think adding Kyrie to the mix and shedding depth actually hurts their chance for a championship.

If Brooklyn can shed Kyrie for 3 really nice complimentary pieces they'd be extremely scary. Imagine if KD and Harden had people like Caruso, Tucker, and Dwight around them? O.O
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Yeah, KD and Harden shooting above 65 % and having 72pts and his greater ad is what 7/8 points,
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Nearly every single one probably but who is touching him especially for any kind of actual value? Maybe if he comes back and plays great with no more distractions all season they can do something in the off season but I just don't see how/why any team would entertain trading for Kyrie right now.

They would instantly be very scary though if they did pull it off and get some quality depth pieces back. I think Kyrie actually hurts Harden's game severely and vice versa. Tonight Harden got to run point and have the ball in his hands pretty much the entire time which when he has Durant as his running mate that is going to be potent nightly. I just don't see him or Kyrie happily playing a Ray Allen role once he returns and Harden is a vastly different player off the ball as we all know.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
drae wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Nearly every single one probably but who is touching him especially for any kind of actual value? Maybe if he comes back and plays great with no more distractions all season they can do something in the off season but I just don't see how/why any team would entertain trading for Kyrie right now.

They would instantly be very scary though if they did pull it off and get some quality depth pieces back. I think Kyrie actually hurts Harden's game severely and vice versa. Tonight Harden got to run point and have the ball in his hands pretty much the entire time which when he has Durant as his running mate that is going to be potent nightly. I just don't see him or Kyrie happily playing a Ray Allen role once he returns and Harden is a vastly different player off the ball as we all know.

And consider that the Nets have Dinwiddie coming back next year as backup PG for Harden. Some people might try and trade Dinwiddie but my God, 3 pieces for Kyrie and Brooklyn have themselves a SQUAD
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 11 of 73
Jump to: