Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

I don't think you can really stop KD - the guy hits jumpers like layups. I think you just try to get physical with him and take your chances, he will drop 30+ no matter what.

I'd rather have AD around the rim protecting the paint and use our other wings on him, with Lebron on him late.

What's interesting to consider is that Harrell might actually match up really well with the Nets. They don't have any scoring bigs to punish him inside and he will straight bully pretty much all of their dudes - their small ball 5 options would be way overmatched by Trezz.

That could help offset any of the production they are getting by Kyrie and it's not like Schroeder is a scrub, he will make Kyrie guard and work on D.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

I think the Nets could potentially be the team in the East..but

I don't see it happening at least this year for these reasons

1. The trade happened to late..gives less time for chemistry
2. Social distancing (will lead to postponed games & the like)
3. Harden, Kyrie, Durant aren't naturally complimentary (unlike Lebron & AD and KD & Curry/Thompson)
4. We don't know when Kyrie will be back
5. Lack of depth and defense (which KD warriors had)..which could have compensating for chemistry issues
6. Lastly this is speculative, they lack the coaching type to fill in this chemistry gap (I don't know about Nash, but D'Antoni doesn't seem to be the type of coach that fills in the chemistry gap good)

All this just doesn't give a lot of time to develop chemistry and because they aren't naturally complimentary, they need that time. They can have a good year record wise, but eventually a well developed and high chemistry team can knock them out.

We saw this in the Clippers last year..once punch came to shove, the chemistry issues were apparent.

You would need a Lebron type leadership to fill in this chemistry gap and I don't think Durant is that type..at least not yet..he didn't go through what Lebron went through with the Heat and Cavs to get the experience of what it takes to develop that chemistry the hard way.

Last edited by lar9149 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I’ll say this: Caruso has Harden figured out more than any other defender in the league.

THT is not experienced enough yet, but he also does a good job bothering Harden.

As for Kyrie, I guess you give Schroder/KCP that challenge.

Don't forget Wes who is a great option to stick on Harden too.

So basically one of Wes, KCP, AC, and Dennis will always be on Harden. They you have THT who hopefully they are really focusing on his defensive development this season bc come playoff time, that will be far more valuable than whatever offense he can give us. At least for this season.

I still think one more big body is needed but I would love to see McKinnie gone in favor of a big defensive wing.. just as insurance to stick in KD if he starts going off and we need to give whoever is guard him a spell.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:

3. Harden, Kyrie, Durant aren't naturally complimentary (unlike Lebron & AD and KD & Curry/Thompson)
5. Lack of depth and defense (which KD warriors had)..which could have compensating for chemistry issues
6 . Lastly this is speculative, they lack the coaching type to fill in this chemistry gap (I don't know about Nash, but D'Antoni doesn't seem to be the type of coach that fills in the chemistry gap will)

All this just doesn't give a lot of time to develop chemistry and because they aren't naturally complimentary, they need that time. They can have a good year record wise, but eventually a well developed and high chemistry team can knock them out.

We saw this in the Clippers last year..once punch came to shove, the chemistry issue were apparent.

You would need a Lebron type leadership to fill in this chemistry gap and I don't think Durant is that type..at least not yet..he didn't go through what Lebron went through with the Heat and Cavs to get the experience of what it takes to develop that chemistry the hard way.

All good points but especially the bolded part.

KD, Kyrie and Harden haven’t all exactly proven themselves when adversity hits. They have actually been thin-skinned and given up.

KD is the closest to have done well in adversity, but most of that came with the Splash brothers and a juggernaut GSW team.

It’s not always as easy as forming a super team or great roster. Same applies for the Lakers.

The most recent example is last year’s clippers who were by far the best team on paper imo.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Thought about it over night and, no, the Lakers have no shot against the Nets. They should concede the Finals rather than embarrass themselves.

It would be very annoying if they did win this year. Kyrie and KD get propped up by the middle schoolers and a certain pundit on social media to bring down Lebron. I also wouldn't be too thrilled with Harden winning a ring.

It would still better than a Clipper or Celtic win tho.

Very nice.

So, the order of teams that you would like to see win championships is
#1: Lakers
#2-27: Whoever
#28: Whatever team Harden is on.
#29: Clippers
#30: Celtics

Last edited by Annihilator on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Thought about it over night and, no, the Lakers have no shot against the Nets. They should concede the Finals rather than embarrass themselves.

It would be very annoying if they did win this year. Kyrie and KD get propped up by the middle schoolers and a certain pundit on social media to bring down Lebron. I also wouldn't be too thrilled with Harden winning a ring.

Very nice.

So, the order of teams that you would like to see win championships are

If I want to crack up the pettiness factor, I would put the Cavs and Pelicans high up on that list.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

6 . Lastly this is speculative, they lack the coaching type to fill in this chemistry gap (I don't know about Nash, but D'Antoni doesn't seem to be the type of coach that fills in the chemistry gap will)

We saw this in the Clippers last year..once punch came to shove, the chemistry issue were apparent.

KD, Kyrie and Harden haven’t all exactly proven themselves when adversity hits. They have actually been thin-skinned and given up.

KD is the closest to have done well in adversity, but most of that came with the Splash brothers and a juggernaut GSW team.

It’s not always as easy as forming a super team or great roster. Same applies for the Lakers.

The most recent example is last year’s clippers who were by far the best team on paper imo.

KD and Kyrie have both proven themselves in the big moments. Harden is the one who shrinks.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

KD and Kyrie have both proven themselves in the big moments. Harden is the one who shrinks.

KD perhaps, but Kyrie doesn’t exactly have the best track record without Lebron.

I know part of it was injuries in the first year with the Celtics, but he wasn’t particularly good in that series vs. Milwaukee. I haven’t seen any of them really prove anything being the main star tbh.

KD probably the closest though but he still had a ton of help.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
MJST wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

KD perhaps, but Kyrie doesn’t exactly have the best track record without Lebron.

I know part of it was injuries in the first year with the Celtics, but he wasn’t particularly good in that series vs. Milwaukee. I haven’t seen any of them really prove anything being the main star tbh.

KD probably the closest though but he still had a ton of help.

I am trying to remember, but didn't KD and Draymond Green started to have some chemistry issues the last year he was on the Warriors? If so, is this a sign he still needs some work on the leadership end?

Also, is his situation like Kawhi Leonard where he came on a team with already established leadership (the Warriors already had Curry/Thompson) and hasn't really been in a situation where he had to establish the leadership? On the positive end through, Durant seems more vocal than Kawhi.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Nets have the offensive firepower to keep the game close so the end game will be the game breaker. In essence, defensive stops down the stretch is the make or break it for them.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Very nice.

So, the order of teams that you would like to see win championships are

If I want to crack up the pettiness factor, I would put the Cavs and Pelicans high up on that list.

That's a good list. I have it the same but depending on the day I'll switch 28/29.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Coincidence? Per Sean Marks, He spoke to Kyrie and is now excited to return on playing. Sean Marks is also denying that Kyrie not playing has nothing to do with Harden trade.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
chantruong wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Very nice.

That's a good list. I have it the same but depending on the day I'll switch 28/29.

PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

KD is having his highest FT rate since 2012. That's pretty wild.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Will say the NBA are probably cheering. The Lakers were going to cakewalk to a title this year provided everyone stayed healthy

Brooklyn and Lakers though will be a good Finals series for them.

I don't see how Brooklyn competes with the Lakers defense though. We have exceptional guard defenders, and I hope we can put THT on Harden in the playoffs to get 3 or 4 steals a game
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Unpopular opinion, but I expect Brooklyn to look real good against us in the regular season. Playoffs though is when we lock in
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Kobetan wrote:
Unpopular opinion, but I expect Brooklyn to look real good against us in the regular season. Playoffs though is when we lock in

I expect them to implode in the playoffs.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

LOL, Lebron gonna feast on tiny Joe Harris.

Kuz/Kieff, and a little AD to bother KD's shot

You know we already got flabby old Harden on lockdown. Didn't even get to test our best defensive wing Matthews yet and still beat Harden down!

Our bigs of Marc and Trez gonna wear down DJ and whatever scrapheap big they pick up.

Kyrie will get his however, not sure DS and THT can keep up with him. But that's their third option now so the damage might be minimal considering.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject:

nba on tnt gave some good perspective

KD went from the splash bros to the dribble bros

Last edited by Halflife on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

When Payton and Malone joined us in '04, there was some rough tension between Kobe and GP and Phil on the offensive end, as GP wasn't a simple kick-out shooter and the tri de-emphasized ball-pounding iso plays from point guards.

When Dwight and Nash joined us in '13, no one worried about Nash fitting in with Kobe and Pau, but Dwight's desire to be the man in the post despite Pau's greater offensive skill, and his reluctance to play steady pick and roll (not to mention his back injury) made him a poor fit.

THIS will be worse, as all 3 of them have attitude issues to worry about.

Durant can play in a free-flowing system, but is known to be moody and desperate for approval. Kyrie is a good skill complement to him, but hardly has the maturity needed to lead a high-stakes team at this stage. And placing Harden next to both of them is like throwing gasoline, kerosene, and napalm into a pressure cooker and then chucking the whole rig into your backyard firepit.

Add on a rookie head coach and no reliable bench depth? Yikes.

Last edited by MIMLaker on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
When Payton and Malone joined us in '04, there was some rough tension between Kobe and GP and Phil on the offensive end, as GP wasn't a simple kick-out shooter and the tri de-emphasized ball-pounding iso plays from point guards.

When Dwight and Nash joined us in '13, no one worried about Nash fitting in with Kobe and Pau, but Dwight's desire to be the man in the post despite Pau's greater offensive skill, and his reluctance to play steady pick and roll (not to mention his back injury) made him a poor fit.

Durant can play in a free-flowing system, but is known to be moody and desperate for approval. Kyrie is a good skill complement to him, but hardly has the maturity needed to lead a high-stakes team at this stage. And placing Harden next to both of them is like throwing gasoline, kerosene, and napalm into a pressure cooker and then chucking the whole rig into your backyard firepit.

You have the 3 moodiest, thin skinned betas in the league together and all of three of them need the ball (Durant less so than the other two...James is worthless off ball). Oh and their skill sets have major overlap with one another. What could possibly go wrong?

Lakers in 5.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

You have the 3 moodiest, thin skinned betas in the league together and all of three of them need the ball (Durant less so than the other two...James is worthless off ball). Oh and their skill sets have major overlap with one another. What could possibly go wrong?

Yup, people going way overboard like all three of these guys can be there best selves. Only one ball and some heavy sacrificing on top of having to play more defense then they have in years from an offensive coaching staff. God help them if they go on a 3-4 game losing streak early on. harden already about to be mad af when he finds out it's topless only in the clubs out there.

Zoom Zoom Kyrie tho...

https://twitter.com/TheRealMF__/status/1349818332434763776
BruceLee-Bron23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Very nice.

My list:
#28: Whatever team Harden OR Durant is on.
#30: Whatever team Steph Curry’s on...He looks like a younger Mr. Burns from the Simpsons.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I don’t think any team in NBA history had 3 elite iso players like the nets.
KD is the only one that can play off ball. It would be interesting to see if we still double harden like we did before.
Joe Harris is an elite shooter, obviously KD is legendary. Might be hard to double them. Once they get into the bench, then obviously we can double harden or KD as desired. It will be hard, hopefully Vogel can find some good schemes.

On their defense side, they have huge issue. They have to put harden on lebron because KD would have to be on AD and joe Harris defending lebron is going to be free points. They literally have one good defender in their starting 5.
We have massive advantage when it comes to bench play. Trez is going to feast on them.

I can see the nets have issues with the bucks also
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Their offense will be deadly, but they are built almost exactly like the 2017 Cavs.

It's a free trip at the layup line against em.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 7 of 73
Jump to: