Can the Lakers compete with BKN in the Finals?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject:

Still a lot of games to be played before either team needs to be worried about each other in the Finals.

So many variables to consider.

Health being the main consideration. Will either team be at full strength come playoff time? If both are, it will be one hell of a show!

We still don’t know if Irving will get his head right. All this discussion of a Nets three headed monster, still needs him to return ready to play.

Does either team make a significant addition by trade or buy out playoff signing? Adding another key piece to either team could tip the scales for one team. If both at full strength and playing well it would not take much to alter the balance.

Going to be fun to see how the Nets develop. They will likely have some ridiculous blowouts this season with all that offensive firepower. Lakers will keep on winning with depth, offensive/ defensive balance and player chemistry. Once the playoffs begin, both will be tested.

An already interesting season just got a whole lot more entertaining. So many talented teams and only one Champion. Go Lakers!
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

Let's amend the title:

"Will BKN make the Finals?"

There are a lot of variables in this. Will Kyrie be back? Will Harden get in shape? Will Durant's Achilles hold up? Will Brooklyn make it out of the East? Will the chemistry match up?

Those guys have about 66 games to make everything click before postseason time. I fully expect them to be in contention, but their defense wasn't stopping anyone before, and it CERTAINLY won't be now.

Basically, they are banking on all three of those guys being gangbusters and their team not missing any / many shots because they won't be stopping anyone. What happens when any two go to the bench? Double teams for days on the one still in the game and they gutted their bench, so who is there to step up and take over against superior benches?

Add in that Kyrie is unhappy in the situation up there, even going so far as to be willing to sit out the season, according to some. This situation is not as shiny and bright as many seem to think it is. Best to wait and see what happens.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure that the Nets will be healthy enough to make the Finals. And they have some tough teams to finally go up against in the East (Miami, Boston, 76ers, Bucks, etc.) so it's not a guarantee at all.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

yo y'all taking the fun out of this hypothetical discussion, mad serious lol, basically

AD - KD
Bron - Harden
Gasol/Harrell/Morris - DeAndre
Schroeder/AC/THT - Kyrie/Shamet
KCP/Kuz - Joe Harris/Jeff Green

We good, we're deeper and we still have the best 1-2
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

So we have a season 2 of the world acclaimed series "Implosion". Stay tuned!
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

Double Post

Last edited by lakerican on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject:

I'm just happy that the Lakers are no drama.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

100%, since last season we have been that blue collar, family oriented, no ego, no drama team every other team wants to be. LeBron put his leadership stamp on display, AD is learning to be that leader nicely
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Super underrated factor. We have multiple generational talents who somehow found a way to not just coexist but harmonize. Pretty amazing, really.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject:

We even added JR Smith/Waiters to our Finals team and no drama. See that?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject:

In all honesty, if there was a hypothetical series matchup of the Lakers vs the top 12 players from the rest of the league, I think it would be a competitive series.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject:

looks like we will be competing w/ them for a big man. They too need a defensive big man.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Match up wise we do have the defenders with length/athleticism/strength to challenge their shots. We have AD for Duant, THT for Harden, and Alex/Dennis to throw at Kyrie. Now by no means are we shutting them down or anything like that, but it is a bit different than last year. THT is a key piece in a match up with Nets because he has the length and body type to get on Harden. For sure we can not blitz as effectively against them, and would need to play more man D.

Additionally, sometimes it just comes down to allowing the other team to make their own mistakes. If they run the ball through Kyrie or Harden a lot, they are not taking advantage of KD. KD went and joined an already established offense and champion winner in GST. This is a new group put together midseason with no training camp or anything. I think even if they win a ring together, the odds are it will be next season, in year 2 together. But just based on talent alone, I can see them get quite far in the playoffs immediately.

This is a great point - as good as Harden and Kyrie are, when they are going ISO it means KD is standing and watching. With Lebron and AD, because AD prefers to play off the ball it works seamlessly where they can dominate the court together at the same time.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

Yes, the Lakers can compete with Brooklyn in the finals. Coach Vogel recently used a term that will determine the ultimate outcome of the season: identity win. We play defense. It's not that Brooklyn doesn't or can't, but that will not be their identity. It will be offense.

Well, we play that end of the court quite well too. In summary, we're balanced to the point that we can compete offensively with anyone, and still get stops. LeBron & AD, the leaders of the defense, know we better not go into a game vs. a team like Brooklyn simply trying to outscore them.

Stay true to our identity.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Match up wise we do have the defenders with length/athleticism/strength to challenge their shots. We have AD for Duant, THT for Harden, and Alex/Dennis to throw at Kyrie. Now by no means are we shutting them down or anything like that, but it is a bit different than last year. THT is a key piece in a match up with Nets because he has the length and body type to get on Harden. For sure we can not blitz as effectively against them, and would need to play more man D.

Additionally, sometimes it just comes down to allowing the other team to make their own mistakes. If they run the ball through Kyrie or Harden a lot, they are not taking advantage of KD. KD went and joined an already established offense and champion winner in GST. This is a new group put together midseason with no training camp or anything. I think even if they win a ring together, the odds are it will be next season, in year 2 together. But just based on talent alone, I can see them get quite far in the playoffs immediately.

This is a great point - as good as Harden and Kyrie are, when they are going ISO it means KD is standing and watching. With Lebron and AD, because AD prefers to play off the ball it works seamlessly where they can dominate the court together at the same time.

I see Durant having an edge on AD in most areas on the court, both ends. The Lakers have the best player in LeBron, but Durant is the next best, not AD. Overall still, the LJ/AD combination feels more devastating a pairing than any two Nets, largely from the strength basis of the Nets is wholly in players with isolation-based talents.

The counterpoint is that LAL doesn't have anyone really to contain/deflect a motivated and healthy Kyrie, whose speed and finish-plus-one ability is pretty much the state of the art for small guys. Harden can score at will on just about anyone, triggers ungodly foul calls on opponents too.

But just how Kyrie and Harden will combine and play together is untested. All that said, I want the Lakers to face those guys playoff-time this Spring. Just seems the Nets have a lot of moving pieces that must fall together for the whole thing to go well for them at the end.

Go Lakers
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

I’ll say this: Caruso has Harden figured out more than any other defender in the league.

THT is not experienced enough yet, but he also does a good job bothering Harden.

As for Kyrie, I guess you give Schroder/KCP that challenge.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I see Durant having an edge on AD in most areas on the court, both ends. The Lakers have the best player in LeBron, but Durant is the next best, not AD. Overall still, the LJ/AD combination feels more devastating a pairing than any two Nets, largely from the strength basis of the Nets is wholly in players with isolation-based talents.

The counterpoint is that LAL doesn't have anyone really to contain/deflect a motivated and healthy Kyrie, whose speed and finish-plus-one ability is pretty much the state of the art for small guys. Harden can score at will on just about anyone, triggers ungodly foul calls on opponents too.

But just how Kyrie and Harden will combine and play together is untested. All that said, I want the Lakers to face those guys playoff-time this Spring. Just seems the Nets have a lot of moving pieces that must fall together for the whole thing to go well for them at the end.

Go Lakers

Interesting, I actually see this differently. While I agree KD is a better offensive player from the perimeter, and *likely* a better perimeter defender, AD is a guy who defensively can completely shut down the paint, whereas I have not seen KD do that in the times I've watched him play. I say *likely* a better perimeter defender only because AD typically is not asked to guard out there on any consistent basis (he does from time to time and has had success, and shown he can guard just about anyone).

I view AD and KD as different types; one more of a post player (AD) than the other, so I do not believe a straight comparison actually works. Just like I do not see AD guarding KD for any length of time, nor vice versa.

I do think, much like AD, KD is a difficult matchup for defenders. My thought is if the Lakers met the Nets in the finals, you'd likely see Kieff start with AD vs DJ, KD, Kyrie, Harden lineup, with Gasol coming in off the bench. My *guess* is Kieff would be asked to stay in front of KD as best he could, with switches up from AD and LBJ and others along the way. I'm not terribly excited about the idea of Kieff guarding KD, but my guess is that is what Vogel would do since I dont think we would ask AD to guard Durant for too many plays.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Let's see if KD's recovery from the Achilles injury will hold up. Kyrie hasn't been durable either. Ironically, Harden is a workhorse compared to them.
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
I’ll say this: Caruso has Harden figured out more than any other defender in the league.

THT is not experienced enough yet, but he also does a good job bothering Harden.

As for Kyrie, I guess you give Schroder/KCP that challenge.

I'd give it to KCP. Not quite as fleet-footed, but Schroeder is more likely to foul.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

The Lakers in 5 and Kyrie potentially retiring stuff is funny but for the sake of my sanity I will take a slightly devil's advocate approach and be as unbiased as possible. Right now the question should be flipped but it won't matter too much by the time its the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they are at our level if not a tad higher if we meet. They have precedent for that kind of success. My train of thought is that you get the stars and figure it out later and I wont flip flop on that right now. Regardless, I think it goes 6 or 7 either way and will be great basketball for everyone to watch. Needed some real stiff competition this year. Too much love from oddsmakers and analysts until yesterday. Need to stay hungry 😤
Kobe_Is_King13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
70sdude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Go Lakers

Interesting, I actually see this differently. While I agree KD is a better offensive player from the perimeter, and *likely* a better perimeter defender, AD is a guy who defensively can completely shut down the paint, whereas I have not seen KD do that in the times I've watched him play. I say *likely* a better perimeter defender only because AD typically is not asked to guard out there on any consistent basis (he does from time to time and has had success, and shown he can guard just about anyone).

I view AD and KD as different types; one more of a post player (AD) than the other, so I do not believe a straight comparison actually works. Just like I do not see AD guarding KD for any length of time, nor vice versa.

I do think, much like AD, KD is a difficult matchup for defenders. My thought is if the Lakers met the Nets in the finals, you'd likely see Kieff start with AD vs DJ, KD, Kyrie, Harden lineup, with Gasol coming in off the bench. My *guess* is Kieff would be asked to stay in front of KD as best he could, with switches up from AD and LBJ and others along the way. I'm not terribly excited about the idea of Kieff guarding KD, but my guess is that is what Vogel would do since I dont think we would ask AD to guard Durant for too many plays.

I think Kieff could do well and it keeps AD off him and hopefully out of foul trouble. I'm in the group that thinks KD is too quick and shifty for AD to check. And if BKN just posts KD in the corner 3 area it takes AD out of the paint if he's checking KD. He just wouldn't be able to cheat off KD because he's too deadly in catch and shoot or attacking a close out. Kieff on him is a much better option with AD playing the backline
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

Dallas has proven that depth can win it all vs. talent, my money is on the Lakers

Last edited by Great One on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

Easily.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

Thought about it over night and, no, the Lakers have no shot against the Nets. They should concede the Finals rather than embarrass themselves.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Thought about it over night and, no, the Lakers have no shot against the Nets. They should concede the Finals rather than embarrass themselves.

It would be very annoying if they did win this year. Kyrie and KD get propped up by the middle schoolers and a certain pundit on social media to bring down Lebron. I also wouldn't be too thrilled with Harden winning a ring.

It would still better than a Clipper or Celtic win tho.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 6 of 73
Jump to: