Philadelphia records highest number of homicides in 30 years
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

And I thought this might finally be the year the Washington Bullets made a come back.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
catalytic converters being stolen

So this is a thing then? This happened to 2 of my co workers this year. When I heard about it, I thought that it was very odd.

I know two people that had the cc’s sawed out of their cars in broad daylight in public places. The metals in those things are very valuable.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
C M B wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

So this is a thing then? This happened to 2 of my co workers this year. When I heard about it, I thought that it was very odd.

I know two people that had the cc’s sawed out of their cars in broad daylight in public places. The metals in those things are very valuable.

It’s a huge thing right now. These guys are really good at it too. I’ve seen video of dudes cutting them off in less than 2 minutes. Tons of police reports for it. I’m not a car guy, but I’m told they contain metals inside of it that are sold to shady metal scrappers.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

They have platinum or palladium in them. They pull all CCs out of junkers for that reason and chop em up and extract the metal thru various processes. Platnum spot price is currently $1078 and palladium is up at a record high of $2413 an ounce (per apmex.com). Gold is at $1952 an ounce, silver at $27. All four metals are going thru upward spikes at the moment. Silver's all-time high was in 2011 at $49 per frickin oz. Newer cars will have platinum most likely due to cost, but for a few years in the recent past, platinum was over palladium. The US started making palladium bullion coins, which has increased demand for the metal, imo. The metals in the CC are part of the conversion process of carbon monoxide into less harmful byproducts.

Palladium Eagles have the front of the Winged Liberty or "Mercury" dime and the reverse of the Walking Liberty half dollar, both circulating at the same time after Teddy Roosevelt demanded the Mint to design more artistic coinage.

https://www.apmex.com/category/46001/1-oz-american-eagle-palladium-coins
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
Now, are there bad officers, sure. Just like there are bad doctors, bad nurses, bad teachers and just bad people in general. No one defends them.

I think you are a fair guy. But this is a bad argument in my opinion.

Putting that aside, thanks for telling us more about your experience. It genuinely interests me.

I think we were talking past each other a bit earlier. You are right, seeing more law enforcement around makes violent criminals less likely to commit street violence there. Law enforcement presence is like a metaphorical border wall. But if you don't address why people are committing violent crime or why people are "crossing the border" illegally. You are just playing defense on the problem and not offense.

So that's why I see this as an economics problem more so than a police presence problem.

I totally agree with you on the economics part. Property crime (especially GTA’s/ catalytic converters being stolen) has increased dramatically since covid began. At my division, we were averaging about 60 cars being reported stolen a week. Less people at work, more cars parked out on the street and people looking for an easy buck selling stolen parts.

As far as the violent crime (homicides, Shootings), Hoover criminals gang has really stepped up their feud with the “duece card” gangs( East coast, Main Street, etc etc. basically most crip gangs). Add the blood gangs also shooting it out with the crip sets.

I have not seen south central/watts this bad since the 90’s and early 2000’s.

You should write a book about what you've seen through the years. I'd probably read it.

Now I just want to ask you questions. What do you think the gangs make the most $ on? Drugs, sex, gambling, guns? Maybe trafficking?
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:00 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
Now, are there bad officers, sure. Just like there are bad doctors, bad nurses, bad teachers and just bad people in general. No one defends them.

Putting that aside, thanks for telling us more about your experience. It genuinely interests me.

I think we were talking past each other a bit earlier. You are right, seeing more law enforcement around makes violent criminals less likely to commit street violence there. Law enforcement presence is like a metaphorical border wall. But if you don't address why people are committing violent crime or why people are "crossing the border" illegally. You are just playing defense on the problem and not offense.

So that's why I see this as an economics problem more so than a police presence problem.

I totally agree with you on the economics part. Property crime (especially GTA’s/ catalytic converters being stolen) has increased dramatically since covid began. At my division, we were averaging about 60 cars being reported stolen a week. Less people at work, more cars parked out on the street and people looking for an easy buck selling stolen parts.

As far as the violent crime (homicides, Shootings), Hoover criminals gang has really stepped up their feud with the “duece card” gangs( East coast, Main Street, etc etc. basically most crip gangs). Add the blood gangs also shooting it out with the crip sets.

You should write a book about what you've seen through the years. I'd probably read it.

Now I just want to ask you questions. What do you think the gangs make the most $ on? Drugs, sex, gambling, guns? Maybe trafficking?

Lol! Naaa I’m sure there’s thousands of books out there on it.

It depends on the gangs. Black gangs make a lot of their money through burglaries (they call it flocking) and robberies. Usually they will tattoo the monopoly man or bags of money on themselves when they make a name robbing or burglarizing homes. Drugs and prostitution are close too. If you drive down Figueroa you usually can tell who the pimps are. Right now there’s a huge influx of prostitutes on Figueroa due to covid. With strip clubs closed, a lot of them have turned to prostitution. I have seen some as young as 14 out there. Prostitution is not currently being prosecuted by the current la county DA so it’s a free for all.

Hispanic gangs make their money through drugs and taxing businesses in their areas. They answer to the Mexican mafia who are connected to the Mexican cartels. That’s where they get their supply. Hispanic gangs also pay taxes to the Mexican mafia and allows them to carry the “13” on their gang name.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

It depends on the gangs. Black gangs make a lot of their money through burglaries (they call it flocking) and robberies. Usually they will tattoo the monopoly man or bags of money on themselves when they make a name robbing or burglarizing homes. Drugs and prostitution are close too. If you drive down Figueroa you usually can tell who the pimps are. Right now there’s a huge influx of prostitutes on Figueroa due to covid. With strip clubs closed, a lot of them have turned to prostitution. I have seen some as young as 14 out there. Prostitution is not currently being prosecuted by the current la county DA so it’s a free for all.

Hispanic gangs make their money through drugs and taxing businesses in their areas. They answer to the Mexican mafia who are connected to the Mexican cartels. That’s where they get their supply. Hispanic gangs also pay taxes to the Mexican mafia and allows them to carry the “13” on their gang name.

What about the white gangs? Are there white gangs?
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

What about the white gangs? Are there white gangs?

There are but I don’t know much about them. I work south LA and we don’t have them here. I’ve talked to a few white gang members from Hispanic gangs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Read the whole thread and the attached article:
Quote:
Radley Balko
@radleybalko
So very interesting. After implementing a de-escalation program, Newark cops didn’t fire a single shot last year. And while homicides soared across New Jersey in 2020, they were unchanged in Newark.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1346658745611415552
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Funny how it works out that you don’t end gang violence by legally empowering a larger gang to employ violence.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

8 murders and 15 shot over the weekend alone in south la. This is what you don’t see in the media.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Philadelphia is really a mess right now. Worst it has been in years according to my girlfriends family who all are born, raised and still living there except for her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9152211/Video-shows-2-gunmen-surrounding-man-25-walking-dog-shooting-dead.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: