Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/1351988199103451136?s=21

Quote:
@LakersReporter

LAL are No. 1 in DEF efficiency, but only 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6.

Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the past games.

NBA Opposite Team Shooting by Zone (2020-21)

NBA Opposite Team Shooting by Zone (2019-20)

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the entire 2019-20 season, the Lakers' opponents made 22.9 baskets per game on 42.2 attempts.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the 2020-21 season (so far), the Lakers' opponents made 24.2 baskets per game on 45.5 attempts.

So, in the paint on average per game, the Lakers are giving up 1.3 extra baskets on 3.3 extra attempts.
In other words, Lakers opponents are attacking in the paint quite a bit more this year than last year but the efficiency of those extra attacks is only about 40%. Thus, the explanation of why the Lakers defense is better this year than last year but points in the paint have increased. The opponents are attacking the paint more often but the Lakers defense against those attacks is actually pretty good.

Summary: Rob screwed up by not resigning McGee/Howard and relying on the bloated Marc Gasol.

The summary is not that at all. Opponents are attacking the paint more often because they perceive a weakness. The Lakers are holding those extra attacks off at a good rate.

Also, you owe Marc Gasol an apology.

Without your rebuttal, I probably would have been a bit concerned if the poster had stated RP messed up based on those numbers. I'm not that deep or clear about these areas.

I appreciate the clarification from your post because it's more in line with what we're seeing w/o understanding numbers such as those. Thank you.

Simple questions to the "Rob messed up poster"

1. How did you determine that Pelinka "messed up" from those numbers when it looks like it's the opposite?

2. How did Pelinka "mess up" when we have the best record in the league, and unbeaten on the road?

Not complicated. LA Laker head coach Frank Vogel stated that the Laker interior defense was bad and he challenged his backline players to be better.

I'm not sure why such energy is put forth into denying what is obvious EVEN TO THE LAKER HEAD COACH.

Our interior defense, be that in the paint or at the rim, is not as "effective" as it was last season. Not sure why some here are fighting that...

"Rob messed up" is the point contested. We won't know if he messed up until the season is completed. With the best record in the league comments such as he messed up sounds like the season has been completed, and the results are in.

They're not.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Last few games, Laker analyst Stu Lance has been lamenting about all the points the Lakers are giving up in the paint. All this talk about Gasol being "high IQ" (whatever) and a positional defense is just another way of saying he doesn't have the physical ability to contest shots at the rim, and the fact that opposing teams are driving into the paint so often confirms that Gasol has no intimidation factor.

Come the playoffs, teams will exploit the weakness Gasol brings. They will figure out that Gasol is too slow and bloated to do anything to stop drives to the basket, and they will either draw AD into foul trouble covering for Gasol, or they will draw him away from the key to isolate Gasol inside.

We will have to rely on positional defense and help-outs, which is not a good proposition come playoff time. That said, I have enough faith in Vogel to figure it out.

We already went through this. Last playoff, the shot blocking big was only had only an impact on one playoff series and that is the Nuggets. Other than matching up with someone like Jokic, we can’t utilized them. I believed Gasol is good enough .

Both AD and Lebron are in cruise mode defensively. I expect them to tighten the screws comes playoff.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Gasol's looking quicker out there. He's dropped some weight and was actually flying out to the 3 point line. He got there too late most times but I was impressed with the effort.

Honestly, If we got a rim protector and our front line is healthy, he would almost exclusively take Trez's minutes and I'm not sure that makes us better.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

<snip>

The FO apparently sees it differently, at least for now. A part of me feels like they have someone in their back pocket.

Small correction - we don't know whether they're thinking differently because even if they wanted a big ASAP they couldn't simply get one due to the hard cap. We may get a better read later in the season when there's more (but still pretty limited) room under the hard cap.

I used the word "apparently" not certainly. The word used suffices for the point made.

Apparently I missed the point
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
troy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

LAL are No. 1 in DEF efficiency, but only 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6.

Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the past games.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the entire 2019-20 season, the Lakers' opponents made 22.9 baskets per game on 42.2 attempts.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the 2020-21 season (so far), the Lakers' opponents made 24.2 baskets per game on 45.5 attempts.

So, in the paint on average per game, the Lakers are giving up 1.3 extra baskets on 3.3 extra attempts.
In other words, Lakers opponents are attacking in the paint quite a bit more this year than last year but the efficiency of those extra attacks is only about 40%. Thus, the explanation of why the Lakers defense is better this year than last year but points in the paint have increased. The opponents are attacking the paint more often but the Lakers defense against those attacks is actually pretty good.

Summary: Rob screwed up by not resigning McGee/Howard and relying on the bloated Marc Gasol.

The summary is not that at all. Opponents are attacking the paint more often because they perceive a weakness. The Lakers are holding those extra attacks off at a good rate.

Without your rebuttal, I probably would have been a bit concerned if the poster had stated RP messed up based on those numbers. I'm not that deep or clear about these areas.

I appreciate the clarification from your post because it's more in line with what we're seeing w/o understanding numbers such as those. Thank you.

1. How did you determine that Pelinka "messed up" from those numbers when it looks like it's the opposite?

2. How did Pelinka "mess up" when we have the best record in the league, and unbeaten on the road?

Not complicated. LA Laker head coach Frank Vogel stated that the Laker interior defense was bad and he challenged his backline players to be better.

I'm not sure why such energy is put forth into denying what is obvious EVEN TO THE LAKER HEAD COACH.

Our interior defense, be that in the paint or at the rim, is not as "effective" as it was last season. Not sure why some here are fighting that...

"Rob messed up" is the point contested. We won't know if he messed up until the season is completed. With the best record in the league comments such as he messed up sounds like the season has been completed, and the results are in.

They're not.

TBF teams have been going right after AD to start this season with success as well including last night. It's def. more "to start the season" kind of thing then some legit problem like some here are trying to make it out to be.

It's a luxury need for sure and I have no doubt they'll grab that emergency big eventually when someone worthwhile is available. Nothing to stress over or go massively overboard with it saying things like "Rob messed up" which is just silly considering how deep and talented our current roster is with that last spot still open.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
troy wrote:
Last few games, Laker analyst Stu Lance has been lamenting about all the points the Lakers are giving up in the paint. All this talk about Gasol being "high IQ" (whatever) and a positional defense is just another way of saying he doesn't have the physical ability to contest shots at the rim, and the fact that opposing teams are driving into the paint so often confirms that Gasol has no intimidation factor.

Come the playoffs, teams will exploit the weakness Gasol brings. They will figure out that Gasol is too slow and bloated to do anything to stop drives to the basket, and they will either draw AD into foul trouble covering for Gasol, or they will draw him away from the key to isolate Gasol inside.

We will have to rely on positional defense and help-outs, which is not a good proposition come playoff time. That said, I have enough faith in Vogel to figure it out.

We already went through this. Last playoff, the shot blocking big was only had only an impact on one playoff series and that is the Nuggets. Other than matching up with someone like Jokic, we can’t utilized them. I believed Gasol is good enough .

Both AD and Lebron are in cruise mode defensively. I expect them to tighten the screws comes playoff.

From my observations, the amount of paint-points we are allowing this year versus last year is at a critical level. Dwight and Mcgee contributed at least 10-12 points on lob dunks every game, and their interior intimidation probably saved us at least 8-10 points per game.

I just don't see what Gasol offers. He's big, but he can't jump. He can shoot the 3 pointer, but not often. His inside game is ineffective. He can rebound when the ball comes his way, but he's not a pure rebounder. He can position himself just fine, but opposing players just go around him or through him if no other Lakers rotate to help him out.

Again, not sure why this deficiency is so clear to me and not to some of you.
I'm sure Gasol will contribute whatever he can.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

You are misquoting Vogel. I bolded it for your benefit. He referred to "the last few games." Your context is the entire season. Vogel used "lagging" as compared to you saying "bad." These words have significantly different meanings.
Kobefied
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Would trade for Jarrett Allen from the Cavs.
They already got Drummond, so he is not their main Center.

He is on a low contract, playing for a contract for next year.
But worth it even if you can't keep him, to win championship this year at the trade deadline.

Would give up Tucker-Horton who becomes free agent this year and probably be gone next year anyways. Am sure Cavs want someone young in return.

Plus would have to probably need to give up Wesley Matthews hopefully, but they might want Kuzma.

But even Allen for Kuzma + THT I think you make that trade for rim-protecting Allen. He is 6'11 and 22 !

Thoughts ?
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

You are misquoting Vogel. I bolded it for your benefit. He referred to "the last few games." Your context is the entire season. Vogel used "lagging" as compared to you saying "bad." These words have significantly different meanings.

Bottom line, Vogel is saying our interior defense is subpar. Interpret that however you'd like. Our starting center is Marc Gasol.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Kobefied wrote:
Would trade for Jarrett Allen from the Cavs.
They already got Drummond, so he is not their main Center.

He is on a low contract, playing for a contract for next year.
But worth it even if you can't keep him, to win championship this year at the trade deadline.

Would give up Tucker-Horton who becomes free agent this year and probably be gone next year anyways. Am sure Cavs want someone young in return.

Plus would have to probably need to give up Wesley Matthews hopefully, but they might want Kuzma.

But even Allen for Kuzma + THT I think you make that trade for rim-protecting Allen. He is 6'11 and 22 !

Thoughts ?

Nope, like JA but rather have depth.

Dedmon/Kuz/THT > JA
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
troy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

Bottom line, Vogel is saying our interior defense is subpar. Interpret that however you'd like. Our starting center is Marc Gasol.

Again, not really the same. How about:

Vogel said that the Lakers' interior defense was lagging in a few previous games.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Javale was a DNP (coach's decision) tonight.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

He didn't play in either game against the Nets. Been 7 days since he's played at all.

I'm sure they're looking to trade him but at the same time Drummond and Allen are both much better players.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
DrDent wrote:

He didn't play in either game against the Nets. Been 7 days since he's played at all.

I'm sure they're looking to trade him but at the same time Drummond and Allen are both much better players.

Everywhere he goes as a 3rd will got a lot of DNP -CD
BlueNGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Hope 'Vale gets traded and waived / bought out.

That'd be perfect.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

BlueNGold wrote:
Hope 'Vale gets traded and waived / bought out.

That'd be perfect.

The prob is, I could see BKN going after him hard and they could pay him more money and offer a starting gig. Depending on how he felt about being dumped by the Lakers, not a sure thing he comes here to be the 3rd big.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
DrDent wrote:

The Cavs are probably looking to trade Drummond, who will be an unrestricted free agent next year. Then they will move Allen to starter and have Javale back him up.

Given that covid can knock anyone out at anytime, I think teams will be less inclined to buy out players this season.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

The concern trolls are squawking again . . .
SD2Hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

The way of lakersground....
I believe that a triangle, if it could speak, would say that God is eminently triangular, and a circle that the divine nature is eminently circular; and thus would every one ascribe his own attributes to God. - Baruch Spinoza
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject:

SD2Hollyweird wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

The way of lakersground....

It's usually just handful of guys that love to beat a point to death.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

Pretty ignorant thing to say.. and anyone who agrees with it.

People can express what they believe to be legitimate concerns about our interior. They should be able to do so without being labeled a troll.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
CRoost wrote:
troy wrote:

From my observations, the amount of paint-points we are allowing this year versus last year is at a critical level. Dwight and Mcgee contributed at least 10-12 points on lob dunks every game, and their interior intimidation probably saved us at least 8-10 points per game.

I just don't see what Gasol offers. He's big, but he can't jump. He can shoot the 3 pointer, but not often. His inside game is ineffective. He can rebound when the ball comes his way, but he's not a pure rebounder. He can position himself just fine, but opposing players just go around him or through him if no other Lakers rotate to help him out.

Dwight and McGee contributed in the regular season last season. Their presence also felt as intimidating factor mitigating the paint scored on us. But we are not trying to win the regular season. The big picture is the playoff of which AD will play more minutes on Center position and Lebron goes all out on defense. There’s no such as critical level on regular season. We are a championship team, not a playoff or bust kinda team. It’s definitely a concern but like I said , our 2 best defenders are in cruise mode.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

How it started

Nash Vegas wrote:
Nets really need a rim protecting big.

How it’s going

Quote:
The Brooklyn Nets are expected to make a run at JaVale McGee

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1353400360384262144?s=21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
DrDent wrote:

He absolutely needs to be here on the Lakers. Rob has to swallow his pride and get that man in LA.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
troy wrote:
CRoost wrote:
troy wrote:

Dwight and McGee contributed in the regular season last season. Their presence also felt as intimidating factor mitigating the paint scored on us. But we are not trying to win the regular season. The big picture is the playoff of which AD will play more minutes on Center position and Lebron goes all out on defense. There’s no such as critical level on regular season. We are a championship team, not a playoff or bust kinda team. It’s definitely a concern but like I said , our 2 best defenders are in cruise mode.

My point should be that I'd rather go into the post season with McGee/Harrell than Gasol. McGee>Gasol, and I broke that down in detail in another thread.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 13 of 26
Jump to: