Think We Need a Rim Protecting Big? (LAL rank 23rd in Defending Points in Paint)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

Alex Len waived. 7’0 who averages 1 block per 10 mins.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1351615855654809600?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Alex Len waived. 7’0 who averages 1 block per 10 mins.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1351615855654809600?s=21

Pass.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakersreporter/status/1351988199103451136?s=21

Quote:
@LakersReporter

LAL are No. 1 in DEF efficiency, but only 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6.

Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the past games.

M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

LAL are No. 1 in DEF efficiency, but only 23rd in paint points against (47.9) after ranking 7th last year at 44.6.

Frank Vogel said it’s too early to draw any conclusions about that, but did say he challenged his back line defenders about rim protection that’s been lagging the past games.

Good find. The truth is... their rim protection doesn't even pass the eye test. Its been way too easy to score in the paint against this team... whenever the opponent got past the perimeter defender.

Last year, the presence of a second shot blocker (having Howard and AD on the court) had opponents rushing their shot or struggling to get a clean shot up in the paint.

The intimidation of that happening, made it harder to score in the paint. No one...and I mean no one... worries about Gasol or Trez blocking their shot.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

The thing that I'm finding confusing is that we gave up the big GSW run without Gasol/Trezz really on the floor much. (Trezz was off the floor much of the 4th). This was the pattern last year too, against teams like GSW (who don't have dominant bigs) we'd close with AD/LBJ and Howard/McGee would rarely see the floor in the 4th.

So - at least for this one game Gasol/Trezz's lack of paint protection couldn't really have been responsible for the big GSW run and our ultimate defeat.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

First, I think Marc Gasol is an asset. Cheap price tag, and fits in better on offense than McGee (who he was traded for basically). Once the games slow down, and it becomes the same team again and again in a playoff series, I trust Marcs IQ. I think he will play 15-20 minutes at most, and can be trusted to defend, shoot 3s, pass, set screens. Quality support player, IMO, with a niche.

No doubt the Warriors loss, was not due to this. It was the AD-Kuz-Bron-KCP-Dennis lineup that (bleep) up that game. It was just a really bad game from Bron, as a closer.

So far, Trez and Gasol individually have been as follows. I will add Dennis Schroder as well, because he is a 3rd major addition-change.

OBPM
Trez 2.3 (very good)
Dennis -2.2
Gasol -2.8

DBPM
Gasol 2.8 (very good)
Dennis -0.6
Trez -0.8

BPM (net)
Trez 1.5
Gasol 0
Dennis -2.8

O rating
Trez 131
Gasol 111
Dennis 105

D rating
Gasol 101
Trez 105
Dennis 106

Overall, the numbers indicate that Dennis has been a bigger challenge to get impact out of, on a consistent basis, vs Gasol-Trez.

Combined Trez-Gasol make less than Dennis. All the advanced numbers I am looking at, show that Dennis is the one that needs to get better, yet it seems all the criticism falls on Trez-Gasol. Dennis is shooting the 3 ball poorly, and he has had a number of high FGA games, while Anthony Davis has been ignored in the paint. The paint intimidation we have, goes both ways. We have to be physical on O, not just D. We are allowing guys like Dennis to create way too much from outside, when the team runs a much better game when Dennis plays more of a facilitating game, similar to Caruso-THT.

While I agree our rim protection is not great, the greater concern for me is the number of minutes we give Dennis. He is a negative player overall right now in impact. This should not be the case. Dennis should be a positive asset, and can be, if his minutes were more along the 20-24 range vs starter heavy minutes he is getting.

We can improve a lot, IMO. We need to play AD at the 5 a bit more, and we need give Caruso-THT more PT instead of Dennis. Come playoffs I do not see Frank giving Trez-Gasol too many minutes if the interior defense is hurting. But so far, the stats show, the Lakers do well on offense with Trez, and they do even better on D with Gasol. You can not argue against that, nor can you argue that the Lakers are the #1 ranked defensive team in the NBA.

There is always a trade off and the stats show that. With McGee, you got better rim protection, but you also did not get the net+ ratings you are with Gasol. With Trez you are getting 131 O ratings, which is amazing. With Dwight you did not get that. I think we will be fine without Dwight-McGee so long as AD steps up in the playoffs as a DPOTY 5. like he did last year. Where we will not be fine, is if we keep playing Dennis Schroder as if he is a 3rd star on the team, when he is clearly not that. His career arc (and play) this year screams 6th man, or supporting 20-25 mpg starter. His usage rate and net impact have not been consistent. I love his defense, I love that he can create some plays, but he has to get in line, and it is way more important that we utilize Dennis well vs complaining always about Gasol-Trez.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>

Very insightful post, thank you. Indeed DS has been flashy, has been a fine individual contributor, and has played as well as ever: fast, skilled, talented, breaker of defenses, pesky defender, good shooter, BUT .. isn't *yet* making "the whole greater than the sum of its parts". The emphasis is on "yet" - there's a long way to go in the season, PG is the toughest position to learn/acclimate to, gel'ing takes tens of games or even longer.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject:

I love Vogels leadership but his rotations SUCK!

Harrell and Kuzma should NEVER see the floor together. Two space cadets.

When they mess up on defense they do not take it personal.

We need to switch things up

PG.KCP / Dennis
SG.Matthews / THT
SF.LeBron / Kuzma
PF.Davis / Morris
C.Harrell / Gasol
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

M2K wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

Good find. The truth is... their rim protection doesn't even pass the eye test. Its been way too easy to score in the paint against this team... whenever the opponent got past the perimeter defender.

Last year, the presence of a second shot blocker (having Howard and AD on the court) had opponents rushing their shot or struggling to get a clean shot up in the paint.

The intimidation of that happening, made it harder to score in the paint. No one...and I mean no one... worries about Gasol or Trez blocking their shot.

As usual those stats only tell a partial story. 23rd in paint points would make you assume that the Lakers are bad a rim protection. However that isn't the case either.

Quote:
Raj C.
@UnwrittenRul3s
The Lakers with the number 1 defense are holding teams to 60.1% shooting at the rim on 29 attempts. Teams shot 61% at the same attempts last year. Rim protection is slightly better this season (so far), just gone about differently.

Quote:

Piggybacking off this, when you take a look at which player at the Center position is most effective in defending in the restricted area, Anthony Davis (not surprisingly) is the top performer for the Lakers, followed by Gasol and then Trezz.

Restricted Area
Anthony Davis 58%
Marc Gasol 59%
Montrezl Harrell 63%

In the Paint (Non-RA)
Anthony Davis 38.3%
Marc Gasol 36.4%
Montrezl Harrell 40%

https://twitter.com/IouaLagazoNBA/status/1350879691058651136

So there's something to consider. Rim protection isn't the problem.

AD being engaged is a lot of our paint protection as well as Gasol and until recently AD wasn't engaged. Last game against the Warriors he also played complacent in the 4th quarter. Because the Warriors beat us up in the paint in the 4th Quarter when Gasol wasn't the last line of defense.

What you also need to keep in mind is that these things will fluctuate as it's super early in the season. We can have 4-5 straight games where we are the best rim protecting team in the league. But have another game where we don't give effort at all on that end and it knocks us down some slots. That's the nature of the small sample size. And Golden State killed us in the 4th in the paint when our effort wasn't there and Gasol wasn't the last line of defense.

So again, take from the numbers what you will. But the reality is, till we're 40 games or so into the season we won't have a true consistent idea of them.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Gobert is so overrated.

He's a team defender, not a man defender. Needs to protect fouls to stay on the floor.

This is typical tbh.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Gobert is so overrated.

Can't help myself. I have to know why you feel Gobert is "overrated".

He has basically set the standard for defensive center play since he joined the League 7 years ago. Multiple time DPOY, multiple time All-Defensive Team, Multiple times AllPro. His stats, efficiency ratings, and impact on games is universally recognized by his peers and rank him in top 10 in multiple categories, multiple years.

What are you seeing that is so different?

Jokic having a huge game against him is noteworthy. Just one game and Nuggets still lost but still an accomplishment none the less.

There's a weird assumption that DPOY at relatively the same position is equivalent to past DPOY.

It's not even true. Giant difference between peak Olajuwon and Dikembe with the 76ers. Gobert is more of the latter than the former.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>

Very insightful post, thank you. Indeed DS has been flashy, has been a fine individual contributor, and has played as well as ever: fast, skilled, talented, breaker of defenses, pesky defender, good shooter, BUT .. isn't *yet* making "the whole greater than the sum of its parts". The emphasis is on "yet" - there's a long way to go in the season, PG is the toughest position to learn/acclimate to, gel'ing takes tens of games or even longer.

Very strange to me how we go from "need a rim protector" to "let's trash DS" focus.

Dennis's usage is 22%. THT is 21%, Trezz is 20%, Kuz is at 20%.

Using the BPM argument, Kuz is also -2.9. Wes is a -2.1 and Kieff is also -2.6.

Want to compare DBM? Dennis is -.6, but Trezz is -.8, Kuz is -1.4.

But look at win shares, and Dennis is 5th on the team at .9, about the same as KCP.

The interesting stat is that the starting lineup's offensive/defensive/net rating, which includes Dennis/Marc is better than last year's.

Lakers 2019-20 starting lineup 114.0 101.4 12.6
Lakers 2020-21 starting lineup 127.2 102.0 25.2

So it's a work in progress but this year's starting lineup with Dennis and Marc are getting the job done it seems. Dennis probably has the most difficult job adjusting to playing with AD/LBJ. Marc doesn't look to score, and KCP's usage is low too. I believe Dennis will find a good balance over the year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>

Very strange to me how we go from "need a rim protector" to "let's trash DS" focus.

But look at win shares, and Dennis is 5th on the team at .9, about the same as KCP.

The interesting stat is that the starting lineup's offensive/defensive/net rating, which includes Dennis/Marc is better than last year's.

So it's a work in progress but this year's starting lineup with Dennis and Marc are getting the job done it seems. Dennis probably has the most difficult job adjusting to playing with AD/LBJ. Marc doesn't look to score, and KCP's usage is low too. I believe Dennis will find a good balance over the year.

Trash? Not really. Stating the facts. Of the 3 major changes, Dennis is the toughest one to fit in, not Gasol-Trez. Gasol-Trez have had issues, but the numbers tend to support them. Dennis is shooting 32.7% from 3, he has had some issues with taking care of the ball, and while his defensive effort can be superb and can play some great defense, the overall fit is still to be determined.

Saying DS is better than some other role guys, is not a strong argument for him. He is paid 16M a year, wants a 60M contract extension (or something in that. And even if compare to role guys, lets compare to Caruso. 120 O rating, +2.6 overall BPM on +2.1 DPM and +0.5 OBPM.

Finally it is relevant as the point is that the Lakers need more rim protection, or that not having Dwight-Javale is a big loss. I disagree with that, and I loved Dwight. I think we are still far from where we could be, and a large part of that is how we are using Dennis, and how his overall impact is not the positive it needs to be. I think more pressing than arguing for a 3rd string Center like Dedmon (who would barely play unless there is an injury in the playoffs) is to get the minutes right between Caruso, Dennis, THT, KCP and Wesley. BTW, I also think Kuzma is playing way too much, especially if he is getting burn at the 2-3. That is not his best spots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Point is DS is not an apples to apples comparison with Marc who plays much less and has a lesser role. We all knew having a PG like Dennis would take the most adapting. Everyone else is playing same basic role. Trezz same bench role. Marc same role. KCP. Same role. Etc.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers gave up 17 layups or dunks in the 1st half against the Bucks. Is that number too much? Just average? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Lakers gave up 17 layups or dunks in the 1st half against the Bucks. Is that number too much? Just average? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Slightly better 2nd half only gave up 11 layups/dunks, for 28 baskets total. Still... that’s 56 easy points given up.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Slightly better 2nd half only gave up 11 layups/dunks, for 28 baskets total. Still... that’s 56 easy points given up.

And held them to only 106 points for the game... They are averaging 120ppg.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

The 106 points scored by Milwaukee in this game were the second fewest that they have scored in a game so far this season. Furthermore, at this moment (still very early in the season), the Lakers are the #1 ranked defensive team. So, whatever deficiencies that we are seeing on rim protection are being counteracted by defensive play somewhere else.

Last edited by Annihilator on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

And held them to only 106 points for the game... They are averaging 120ppg.

Would have held them to even less with more of an interior precense.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Do we need a big? Sure, just for insurance, but the chances are players like Dwight and McGee won’t see much time in the playoffs due to the play style of today’s game. Maybe gasol won’t even see much time in the playoffs. The lakers starting lineup out scores the other teams by 25-30 points per 100, I don’t know any coach would break that up. DS and Gasol might not be playing particularly well at the moment, but it is getting the job done
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:

Criticisms like these are always head scratchers. How do you know they don't take it personally? We aren't mind readers here, and that is the only way you could make this claim.

Unless there is an interview out there where they say they don't care, in which case I stand corrected.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

Criticisms like these are always head scratchers. How do you know they don't take it personally? We aren't mind readers here, and that is the only way you could make this claim.

Unless there is an interview out there where they say they don't care, in which case I stand corrected.

The dont care part is ridiculous and the only time i've heard them speak it's usually the opposite of that. Kuzma has talked about wanting to improve his defense countless times and has made strides overall. He's fine for his role and what he's being paid, if anything he's out performing it to start the season imo. If he didn't have some of these flaws the Lakers wouldn't have had a chance to reup for 3 more years at the same price. Defensively I think it's more Morris then those 2 at least defensively but even with him it's not that serious.

Kind of obvious at this point Vogel is playing with the different lineups and trying things out. A lot like the bubble, people were freaking out and then once the Playoffs started everything got super tight and he did a great job with the rotations from game to game and series to series.

The Lakers no doubt want to win every single game but at the same time Vogel and the staff knows they got a bunch of new toys and have to figure things out and doing it right now is significantly better then later in the season and into the Playoffs.

I get that it's frustrating at times because it is for any fan that knows what this team is clearly capable of but it's not like Vogel suddenly forgot how to put the right players in the right spots when he just had consistent great rotations all throughout the entire Playoffs from matchup to matchup just a few months ago.

This team is going to look very different late in the season I can promise you that. Enjoy the process, it all ends before you know it and we'll be romanticizing how amazing this team is/was.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>

Well that is my whole point! The fact that you're comparing DS to KCP speaks volumes, at an abstract level DS at least as offensively talented as KCP though they score differently. Great, so what use is that? We are not lacking for great scorers/shooters - we already have KCP and Kuzma, and even Caruso/Wes.
However, what KCP is not is a facilitator/distributor/initiator (only other one is LBJ), nor a PnR partner to Trezz/AD. I'd happily tradeoff some of DS's pure solo offensive firepower for more (and sustained) Trezz/AD pick and roll action. This will diverseify the offense providing many more options when the other team is making a run, relieve pressure on LBJ and allow Trezz's to get some closing minutes instead of being yanked due to his defensive deficiencies.

Last point, If I'm coming across as trashing DS, hardly, I harped all last year about how nice it would be to have an attacking guard on the team. In a nutshell for *this* team DS is *currently* a B (decent but not great), whereas he has the talent/ability to be an A with coaching/reps, and I have no issues waiting 30-40 games to see him achieve his potential.

Last edited by ThePageDude on Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject:

[quote="ThePageDude"]
yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

<snip>

Well that is my whole point! The fact that you're comparing DS to KCP speaks volumes, at an abstract level DS at least as offensively talented as KCP though they score differently. Great, so what use is that? We are not lacking for great scorers/shooters - we already have KCP and Kuzma, and even Caruso/Wes.
However, what KCP is not is a facilitator/distributor/initiator (only other one is LBJ), nor a PnR partner to Trezz/AD. I'd happily tradeoff some of DS's pure solo offensive firepower for more (and sustained) Trezz/AD pick and roll action. This will diverseify the offense providing many more options when the other team is making a run, relieve pressure on LBJ and allow Trezz's to get some closing minutes instead of being yanked due to his defensive deficiencies.

Last point, If I'm coming across as trashing DS, hardly, I harped all last year about how nice it would be to have an attacking guard on the team. In a nutshell for *this* team DS is *currently* a B (decent but not great), whereas he has the talent/ability to be an A with coaching/reps, and I have no issues waiting 30-40 games to see him achieve his potential.

No, the point is that guys like KCP have nothing to adjust to b/c he has played with LBJ for now a 3rd season. He knows his role and remember, he was pretty bad year 1 with LBJ. DS is still wading through finding out how to play off of LBJ/AD. Maybe he'll figure it out, maybe he won't, but the net team statistics with him in the starting lineup show it's working.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

Quote:
@LakersReporter

NBA Opposite Team Shooting by Zone (2020-21)

NBA Opposite Team Shooting by Zone (2019-20)

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the entire 2019-20 season, the Lakers' opponents made 22.9 baskets per game on 42.2 attempts.

If one combines the points-in-the-paint shooting statistics (both restricted and non-restricted), over the 2020-21 season (so far), the Lakers' opponents made 24.2 baskets per game on 45.5 attempts.

So, in the paint on average per game, the Lakers are giving up 1.3 extra baskets on 3.3 extra attempts.
In other words, Lakers opponents are attacking in the paint quite a bit more this year than last year but the efficiency of those extra attacks is only about 40%. Thus, the explanation of why the Lakers defense is better this year than last year but points in the paint have increased. The opponents are attacking the paint more often but the Lakers defense against those attacks is actually pretty good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 11 of 26
Jump to: