Tyson vs Jones fight
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

This KO paralleled Pacquaio vs Marquez. He never felt the canvas, he was out before he hit it. Like Nat he didn't move. It was scary. Difference was Manny was winning the fight when he got KDFO LINK I think the 10 second warning bell sounded before the KO

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
This KO paralleled Pacquaio vs Marquez. He never felt the canvas, he was out before he hit it. Like Nat he didn't move. It was scary. Difference was Manny was winning the fight when he got KDFO LINK I think the 10 second warning bell sounded before the KO

Didn’t matter. Couldn’t be saved by the bell.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I know. My unexplained point is, the round was almost over in a fight that I thought PacMan was winning. He got careless.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I know that. My unexplained point is, the round was almost over in a fight that I thought PacMan was winning. He got careless.

True dat.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Nat Robinson had his first professional fight. He got KDFO. He should quit while he has his health. Boxing is not his game.

Lol

Joel Embiid: NIGHT NIGHT – via Twitter JoelEmbiid

Stephen Curry: Be ok Nate……come on man. – via Twitter StephenCurry30

Nick Young: That was no representation of the NBA Family lol – via Twitter NickSwagyPYoung

@MagicJohnson wrote:
Praying for Nate Robinson 🙏🏾

easybreeze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Nate won't be shooting hoops with the fellers, no time soon.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
C M B wrote:
Tyson PPV saturday night at someone's house in the early-mid 90s = most electric sports atmosphere for casuals not in attendance.

The Non-Zealot fam even stupidly paid for Mike vs Peter "Hurricane" McNeeley, who twice used the term "jeepers creepers!" to describe Mike's strength. He wasn't using it in self-knowing way either, like you might if you ever say the term jeepers creepers. 50 bucks down the tube. And we knew better, I'm sure. Mike just got out of the can tho. It was like waiting for Magic to return to the NBA, years of waiting.

As Don King used to say on Conan: "FOTY-NIIINE NINETY-FIIIIVE!!!!1 OOOOONLY ON PAY-PUH-VIEW!!!1..."

I think some of the other fights were worse for $50 than the McNeeley fight. At least McNeeley fought and made it entertaining; his corner stopped it quickly and that upset people, but he wouldn’t have lasted much longer. He was overmatched. Tyson had another quick knockout in the first round soon after that.

The McNeeley fight was over as soon as you saw the Celtic green trunks. Any white dude who wears those is a 1st Rd jobber. Not as ill-advised as Marvis Frazier wearing pink trunks, but still. We bot Spinks in 88, too. That one lasted 30 seconds. By Holyfield, I was meh. I would've been annoyed if I had bought the ear match. Tyson pulling that was worse than Fan Man from Holyfield Bowe II. Robbed Evander from yet another moment to shine. That happened to him a lot, all the way back to the 84 Olympics.

The Great White Hype....loved that movie, pretty much described how to sell boxing in the PPV era.

Saw a large section of it a few months back on telly, the part where they were watching a montage of white boxers getting KO'd was part of it. Poor Tommy Morrison getting murdered by Ray Mercer was in there. That hurt my heart a little bit, haha. RIP, Tommy Gun! Ref let Tommy take 2-3 more haymakers while he was already out cold. He lost to a no one named Michael Bent after he built himself back up from the Mercer loss, but the Mercer KO was his NateRobb moment in the sport sans doubt. Tommy actually beat some of the same KO bait that Tyson did a few years prior. He was stricken by the same thing in the heavyweight class at the time -- lack of a strong class. But Mike losing to Buster, who actually had talent and reach and was powerful, wasn't like Morrison losing to Bent. Buster was just the Elden C of the sport and his mother had just died and Mike was off his meds. Bent was a whole nother class of defeat. Buster couldn't sustain it for Evander tho. Real Deal gave him whiplash on that KO.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You could tell from Spinks’s demeanor before the bell that he wasn’t about that life. Half of Tyson’s ability was the physical fear he put into guys. Yes, he could bring the pain, which is why they were afraid, but it created a self feeding loop. A guy like Ali, with skills, a chin, and no fear would have been a lot tougher for Tyson, and would have exposed his limited skill set. Make no mistake, Ali fought a couple guys who could hit every bit as hard as Tyson (perhaps three, Forman, Norton, and Liston, who approximated a lot of Tyson’s psychological effect), and Tyson would not have frightened him.

Spinks looked outwardly scared. That look on his face I don't know if I've ever seen on any other guy who even boxed Tyson. He faced many record-building fodder who weren't aware enough of him to be scared. Spinks looked like he knew he was gonna get KO'd hard. And not only was the fight only 30 secs long or so, the KO punch was at an angle that didn't "show" well on the TV cam's main angle. And it was more of an undercut unstead of an uppercut in that his fist didn't get to turn upwards as in some of his spectacular knockdowns w/ uppercuts. There was one against Jose Ribalta that looked nothing short of a deathblow. Knocked all the sweat off of Ferguson's head. Mike caught him flush on the chin w/ full force and with great separation between the two, making for an unreal .gif.

I think the guy who was LEAST afraid of Mike, at least in the early years, was Mitch Blood Green. He was even more hood than Mike and called him Ciciley Tyson and H. sapien (the first part only). He had a hard head too, managed to last 10 rounds with Mike tho Mike KO'd him in the NY street outside of a men's clothing sotre that both frequented. Charley Steiner bursted out in laughter reading about that incident on SportsCenter.

Ali had matchup trouble w/ Norton, but Foreman was such a monster that he beat Ken Norton around like a ragdoll. And Frazier. He couldn't be knocked down even at 36, re-won a belt against Michael Moorer at that age, oldest ever to regain. As far as Marvis Frazier, Joe's son, that was easily one of Mike's scariest KO's. Marvis came into the ring in purty pink trunks, which a guy like Mike was sure to key on (and did comment about it in a lewd way afterwards that you can guess). He looked like he beat the soul out of Marvis in that corner. The guy Michael Johnson, the one who's face Mike crouched up to and slammed his full weight into, was also scary. Another early one against Donnie Long. Dude looked cocky as all get out and Mike threw a lighting quick lunge and hook into his cheek, the slap against his face was audible "whap!" and he fell straight on his ass. That was back when even the announcers who were all old and jaded went "Wooooow!" at Tyson speed and power. Pinklon Thomas was a tough boxer and a solid, sound one and he took about 5 haymakers til finally falling with a look of pain and agony all over him. Mychal Thompson referenced that fight after the Baby Hook game in regards to Boston's dirty play. It was impossible to see Buster Douglas coming at that time, which is why they didn't bother to air it in the US until afterwards.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Tyson PPV saturday night at someone's house in the early-mid 90s = most electric sports atmosphere for casuals not in attendance.

100000%. A week before a fight, that's what every guy was talking about at my high school. It was a gd show man.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

100000%. A week before a fight, that's what every guy was talking about at my high school. It was a gd show man.

You guys brought back some memories....I remember the shock when we saw how the Tyson-Holyfield II fight ended.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

You guys brought back some memories....I remember the shock when we saw how the Tyson-Holyfield II fight ended.

I was more shocked by the Buster Douglas KO. Mike looked pitiful, mouthpiece hanging out, struggling to get to his feet. LINK

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Like this early one, short and sweet. Long didn't expect that kind of power until he felt it a few times and tried to get up but his body said F that.

Donnie Long

Michael Johnson

Jesse Ferguson lites

Sammy Scaff (tomato can)

Jose Ribalta lites

Trevor Burbick
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You could tell from Spinks’s demeanor before the bell that he wasn’t about that life. Half of Tyson’s ability was the physical fear he put into guys. Yes, he could bring the pain, which is why they were afraid, but it created a self feeding loop. A guy like Ali, with skills, a chin, and no fear would have been a lot tougher for Tyson, and would have exposed his limited skill set. Make no mistake, Ali fought a couple guys who could hit every bit as hard as Tyson (perhaps three, Forman, Norton, and Liston, who approximated a lot of Tyson’s psychological effect), and Tyson would not have frightened him.

I’ve seen a couple of sources that said Ali admitted he would have been afraid of a young Tyson. Haven’t seen him say it firsthand, but I find it believable because Tyson not only was a hard hitter and fast with defense, but he had an air of invincibility about him before the Douglas fight. He was SO intimidating.

I think Ali still beats him anyway though. Ali was almost impossible to knock out and if he had some fear, he would come out at his best. And if Ali had any trouble he could do what Lennox Lewis did. Hold Tyson if he could ever get inside where he was really dangerous.

Ali did fight some other really hard hitters. Ron Llye and Ernie Shavers were know as big punchers too and Ali beat both of them.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

I was more shocked by the Buster Douglas KO. Mike looked pitiful, mouthpiece hanging out, struggling to get to his feet. LINK

Tyson had the worst people ever in his corner that night. When Tyson's eye started to swell, they didn't even have an enswell to reduce the swelling. They used a condom with ice in it. How does that happen in a title fight?

It wasn’t the only reason he lost of course. Douglas fought a great fight. I just find it unbelievable that his corner would be so unprepared.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

Tyson had the worst people ever in his corner that night. When Tyson's eye started to swell, they didn't even have an enswell to reduce the swelling. They used a condom with ice in it. How does that happen in a title fight?

It wasn’t the only reason he lost of course. Douglas fought a great fight. I just find it unbelievable that his corner would be so unprepared.

IIRC Buster wouldn't give Mike a rematch. 30 years later since he's fought Roy Jones he wants to fight Mike. Bull Twinky.

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject:

His corner was even worse than I thought:

Quote:
Lampley noticed the battle damage Tyson had sustained, “There’s a lot of swelling around Mike Tyson’s left eye and it’s partially closed. And that is from the right hand leads that Buster Douglas has landed almost at will throughout the fight.” As Tyson sat in his corner after the fifth round, co-trainer Aaron Snowell treated the swelling left eye with what appeared to be a latex glove filled with ice water.

It looked like a small balloon being placed against Tyson’s eye. Team Tyson would come under tremendous fire for their lack of preparation. There was no cut man in the Tyson corner and the plastic glove with ice water was used because neither Snowell nor co-trainer Jay Bright had an end swell.

LINK

Some people say it was a latex glove and not a condom. In any case, how could they be so unprepared? Talk about laziness, arrogance and incompetence.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:

IIRC Buster wouldn't give Mike a rematch. 30 years later since he's fought Roy Jones he wants to fight Mike. Bull Twinky.

I wish they had a rematch too around 30 years ago.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject:

Buster was KO'd early in the fight, so the question of a rematch or any significant achievement by Buster is a moot point imo. The ref had it out for Tyson and gave Buster an extremely long count of 12-13 seconds while giving Tyson a quick count that night. Buster was a bum that put on the performance of his life due to tragic circumstances and still lost imo.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Buster was KO'd early in the fight, so the question of a rematch or any significant achievement by Buster is a moot point imo. The ref had it out for Tyson and gave Buster an extremely long count of 12-13 seconds while giving Tyson a quick count that night. Buster was a bum that put on the performance of his life due to tragic circumstances and still lost imo.

Buster was knocked down in the 8th round and won almost every round IMO. And up until that point he was far more effective against Mike than anyone else. I think Tyson looked better against Holyfield. He still had a chance to beat Holyfield in the 2nd fight if he didn’t bite his ear IMO. I’m a fan of Evander but one of the big turning points in the first fight was a low blow when Tyson looked like he had taken control of the fight, and later there was a nasty headbutt and both clearly hurt Tyson.

I thought the count on Buster was fine; with Tyson though I think the ref should have let him continue. Buster did have some lucky breaks though. One was Tyson knocking him down at the end of the round. It gave Buster time to recover.

In a rematch I do think Tyson smokes Douglas, but that’s one reason I’m disappointed. We never got to see it and can only speculate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Buster Douglas count

The bell saved Buster. If there had been any time left Mike would have knocked him out fo sho.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: