Official ALFONZO MCKINNIE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject:

This story just keeps getting worse and worse.

I don't get why we aren't cutting him like Bell... are we contractually obligated to keep him on our payroll?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject:

He was a viable wing 3 and D option for the Warriors in their last playoff run. Maybe he can recapture that. If not, we're talking about a 12th man. You have to sign somebody. Not that many world beaters willing to take the minimum to sit at the end of the bench.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject:

Redemption project, the repeat edition?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

I don't get why we aren't cutting him like Bell... are we contractually obligated to keep him on our payroll?

How is this “worse and worse”? He is an end of the bench cheap contract that will see limited mins throughout the season. From the sounds of it , when his knee is not flaring up.

Lakers will have similar issues with a lot of the most discussed additions. Guys with injuries are a part of the reason they are vet mins. For example Cousins, Batum, Matthews, even Gasol have had season ending surgeries that flare up. That is just off the top of my head. Likely more could be added with a little research.

There is a reason quality players are accepting min contracts. Injuries, age, hole in game (ex: good defender, poor shooter). The job of the coach is find the right mix and hope like hell they stay healthy or find their groove again.

McKinnie is just an inexpensive option with faults. Pretty much all we can expect for the vet mins signed to fill out 11-14 on the roster.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

How is this “worse and worse”? He is an end of the bench cheap contract that will see limited mins throughout the season. From the sounds of it , when his knee is not flaring up.

Lakers will have similar issues with a lot of the most discussed additions. Guys with injuries are a part of the reason they are vet mins. For example Cousins, Batum, Matthews, even Gasol have had season ending surgeries that flare up. That is just off the top of my head. Likely more could be added with a little research.

There is a reason quality players are accepting min contracts. Injuries, age, hole in game (ex: good defender, poor shooter). The job of the coach is find the right mix and hope like hell they stay healthy or find their groove again.

McKinnie is just an inexpensive option with faults. Pretty much all we can expect for the vet mins signed to fill out 11-14 on the roster.

But it makes sense to sign players like Cousins or Batum because at least they were good at one point.

It would also make sense to find a European or G Leaguer who showed some promise.

I get that we have to sign someone... I just don't see the point of this guy.

Sign Troy Daniels again... go get Lin from China... Let IT be the 12th man... this guy never did anything at any point in his career.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

But it makes sense to sign players like Cousins or Batum because at least they were good at one point.

It would also make sense to find a European or G Leaguer who showed some promise.

Sign Troy Daniels again... go get Lin from China... Let IT be the 12th man... this guy never did anything at any point in his career.

I apparently don’t feel as strongly about it as you do.

My point is any option at this point is going to have pros and cons. Even Lin or Daniels, as you suggest.

Maybe we differ in opinion on what it means to “show some promise” because McKinnie has with GS just a couple years ago. He was in the rotation and was chosen to start in the playoffs when Thompson was injured. IMO that qualifies as doing something.

So he has shown a glimmer of promise as a active defender at SF. A position of need for the Lakers. Even shot 35% from 3pt a couple years ago. Seems like a low risk choice for under $2m. Just open to the option, would be interesting to know why the decline in CLE.

He is not stopping the Lakers from signing any others if they choose to sign Batum or RHJ or Ariza or whoever you prefer. I’m curious, not planting my flag for a battle.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

My point is any option at this point is going to have pros and cons. Even Lin or Daniels, as you suggest.

Maybe we differ in opinion on what it means to “show some promise” because McKinnie has with GS just a couple years ago. He was in the rotation and was chosen to start in the playoffs when Thompson was injured. IMO that qualifies as doing something.

So he has shown a glimmer of promise as a active defender at SF. A position of need for the Lakers. Even shot 35% from 3pt a couple years ago. Seems like a low risk choice for under $2m. Just open to the option, would be interesting to know why the decline in CLE.

He is not stopping the Lakers from signing any others if they choose to sign Batum or RHJ or Ariza or whoever you prefer. I’m curious, not planting my flag for a battle.

Honestly, I came into the thread with an open mind. I asked if someone knew of a special skill he had that justified him taking the spot.

So far what you said makes the most sense... but still seems pretty tenuous.

The dude averaged 7 points a game at no name schools like Eastern Illinois and Green Bay. He hasn't done much in the pros. He's already 28 so it's not like he's going to evolve into something. I suppose if he's a great athlete whose contributions don't show up on any sheet... maybe it's worth keeping him. But when I see players like Whiteside, Boogie, Batum etc... I just want to make sure we prioritize them over someone who is likely to never do anything.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
I see a little bit of George Lynch in him. Works hard.

Get rid of him in that case.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Honestly, I came into the thread with an open mind. I asked if someone knew of a special skill he had that justified him taking the spot.

So far what you said makes the most sense... but still seems pretty tenuous.

The dude averaged 7 points a game at no name schools like Eastern Illinois and Green Bay. He hasn't done much in the pros. He's already 28 so it's not like he's going to evolve into something. I suppose if he's a great athlete whose contributions don't show up on any sheet... maybe it's worth keeping him. But when I see players like Whiteside, Boogie, Batum etc... I just want to make sure we prioritize them over someone who is likely to never do anything.

I’m open to those or any player additions. When they sign and the Lakers need the roster space I see the logic of cutting McKinnie.

But until they do they have an interesting athletic SF to add to the mix. If his health or talent don’t meet expectations so be it.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
Hasn’t he had 2 knee surgeries already? He has no meniscus in one of them. Just saying ...

Quick search just showed he did have knee surgery in college. Did he have another since becoming a pro in the past 3 yrs?

Something to be worried about or a case of most vet mins are going to have flaws?

damn and thats from a guy who is riding the DNP-CD tag for most of the season
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

They will most likely trade him depending on the need for more depth during the season. if the contract is anyway guaranteed why cut him now
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject:

So I went on YouTube and this work out video by McKinnie popped up, he looks good in it, he could be apart of the future along with AD/Schroeder and Trezz.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So I went on YouTube and this work out video by McKinnie popped up, he looks good in it, he could be apart of the future along with AD/Schroeder and Trezz.

No Vid...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_6F9mJVatZU
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

In an empty gym I would've hoped to have seen more athleticism/explosion. Most of the dunks wouldn't have even been attempted if there was someone to contest them and the pull up jumpers looked flat, as well.

The three pointers looked good, however, or at least good enough to hit 33.3%, and his body looks strong enough to not get manhandled if we needed to put him on KL or Tatum for 3 or 4 minutes.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject:

Spot wing defender role, end of bench, meh it's fine I guess.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

In an empty gym I would've hoped to have seen more athleticism/explosion. Most of the dunks wouldn't have even been attempted if there was someone to contest them and the pull up jumpers looked flat, as well.

The three pointers looked good, however, or at least good enough to hit 33.3%, and his body looks strong enough to not get manhandled if we needed to put him on KL or Tatum for 3 or 4 minutes.

Honestly...my daughter had a shooting coach in HS...basically the same shooting drills and she made most of her shots too when no one is guarding you.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject:

he is salary filler for possible Kuzma trade
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Devin Ebanks
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
I see a little bit of George Lynch in him. Works hard.

Get rid of him in that case.

You crack me up NPZ! And (agreed)
nslander32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Devin Ebanks

Funny, I had the same impression. Dude actually started some games for us.

Remember the bad times.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject:

nslander32 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Devin Ebanks

Funny, I had the same impression. Dude actually started some games for us.

Remember the bad times.

The days of CDR vs Devin Ebanks.

Unfortunately we picked Ebanks in that ill-fated 2012 season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject:

ALFONZO MCKINNIE

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject:

Where he
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Where he

Excused absence, per Vogel
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: