DENNIS SCHRÖDER - Toronto (2yr, $26M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject:

DS gets game ball.
Killed Claxton on switches. And Claxton actually defended Lillard pretty well: https://streamable.com/vhq84v .
AND he took Kyrie out the game.
Only improvement would be if he got 1 tech instead of 2 in the process.
But he still gets game ball.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
We're not "saving" money for any other player. So again, if we have to slightly overpay to keep Schroeder, we should be doing it. Keeping this core together is very important moving forward, especially as LeBron gets older.

Depends on his playoff performance. I think him hesitating to sign an extension is more favorable for us. Hes definitely an asset but he’s a luxury more than a necessity . I think the odds of keeping him is in line with us winning it all. If we don’t , I can see our FO moving on and hopefully execute S&T and unleash THT.

love THT but DS > THT by a lot, our PG is a need not luxury, Bron is 37, can't have him be PG full time

Disagree, you can’t limit Lebron ability. You can cut his minutes and rest him by sitting him out from time to time but Lebron will be Lebron. THT with all the learning experience has a better upside than overpaying Schroder. If we win it all (hopefully), I do believe Schroder will play a big part and everyone will be back except Trez and others who are not in playoff rotation.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:
We're not "saving" money for any other player. So again, if we have to slightly overpay to keep Schroeder, we should be doing it. Keeping this core together is very important moving forward, especially as LeBron gets older.

Depends on his playoff performance. I think him hesitating to sign an extension is more favorable for us. Hes definitely an asset but he’s a luxury more than a necessity . I think the odds of keeping him is in line with us winning it all. If we don’t , I can see our FO moving on and hopefully execute S&T and unleash THT.

love THT but DS > THT by a lot, our PG is a need not luxury, Bron is 37, can't have him be PG full time

Completely disagree. Just by this game for example, THT got 11 assists without committing 10,000 turnovers.

Plus if we had THT the game before, we would have won.

I already trust THT’s ball handling/play making more than I do with Schroder. Schroder has literally ONE gear. For some reason, Schroder forgot how to pull up mid-range these days.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:

Completely disagree. Just by this game for example, THT got 11 assists without committing 10,000 turnovers.

I already trust THT’s ball handling/play making more than I do with Schroder. Schroder has literally ONE gear. For some reason, Schroder forgot how to pull up mid-range these days.

This. I don’t know how we can afford DS if we want to keep Andre Drummond. I think THT can be starting pg by next season.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:

This. I don’t know how we can afford DS if we want to keep Andre Drummond. I think THT can be starting pg by next season.

can't just give DS money to AD2 (there's a scenario tho, it's in emplay's article)
carjoch831
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Nets‘ Kyrie Irving is out Monday vs. Minnesota due to personal reasons.

Dang! DS really got in to Kyrie's head.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Kyrie issued the following statement on Twitter, clearly referring to the DS scuffle:

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1381288285838962690?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

DS will deny it, forcing people to choose who to believe. The rantings of a fool who thinks the earth isn't round, agitates his teammates where ever he goes, and misses games on purpose so he doesn't get traded for Harden from a super team, or DS who has no reputation at all for being aggressive to opponents like that.

It probably doesn't hurt that Kyrie is looking to take some of the spotlight off of Durant's recent malicious ravings at that actor by pointing the finger at a potential Finals opponent. I don't trust one syllable out of the mouth of World B. Flat.

Agreed.

As always, he's just playing the victim after doing something asinine.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:

can't just give DS money to AD2 (there's a scenario tho, it's in emplay's article)

DS just rejected a 4 yr 84 million extension meaning he wants to get paid somewhere around $25-27 mil a yr. I would rather use the money and maybe sign Spencer Dinwiddie for around $12-14 mil a yr.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:

Completely disagree. 16 of 4 THT got the blessing of McLem got microwave.. What do you think of the 3 Ill advised consecutive iso plays that gave the lead in the 2nd quarter.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
joeblow wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
Kyrie issued the following statement on Twitter, clearly referring to the DS scuffle:

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1381288285838962690?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

DS will deny it, forcing people to choose who to believe. The rantings of a fool who thinks the earth isn't round, agitates his teammates where ever he goes, and misses games on purpose so he doesn't get traded for Harden from a super team, or DS who has no reputation at all for being aggressive to opponents like that.

It probably doesn't hurt that Kyrie is looking to take some of the spotlight off of Durant's recent malicious ravings at that actor by pointing the finger at a potential Finals opponent. I don't trust one syllable out of the mouth of World B. Flat.

Agreed.

Hopefully this post is OK as I am simply relaying information. If not, feel free to delete it.

I saw the video online and someone posted what they both said.

Schroder said it casually to him "Calm down n****" and that set Kyrie off. He responded "Don't call me n****, you don't know me like that" and he was really upset. His response to hearing DS say this is what got Kyrie ejected. But DS wasn't being aggressive when he used it or racial in any way (at least in my estimation, but I am just an observer so I could be wrong).

Probably the most complicated word in terms of intent/meaning/slang ever in the history of language. Can change meaning depending on who is saying it and the context or tone in which it is said. And even then it can be ambiguous/taken differently by the person.

Also is Kyrie offended because DS said it and is from Germany and not African-American? Who knows.

Kyrie is an odd guy, but I am not going to judge him based on his response to hearing someone else use that word to him. It is a super sensitive issue and for good reason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
governator wrote:
LakersForever123 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
CRoost wrote:
MJST wrote:

DS just rejected a 4 yr 84 million extension meaning he wants to get paid somewhere around $25-27 mil a yr. I would rather use the money and maybe sign Spencer Dinwiddie for around $12-14 mil a yr.

Where are you getting 12-14m in cap space?
BEazy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
It's interesting that just a couple of days back there were multiple posts alleging that DS's skill-set was of little to no use to the Lakers.

I don't get it.

The guy plays hard and isn't afraid to D up.

I am not saying he is a Hall of Famer, but he brings much needed speed and quickness to the lineup.

I am on the DS Train....I hope he ends up a Laker long term.

Yeah I hope we trade him. Don't want to see 4-5 years of multiple turnovers and spotty shooting.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

He's by far the best pg we've got. I'm fine if we upgrade or do a lateral trade, but pg (especially on D) would be a serious issue without him.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
DS just rejected a 4 yr 84 million extension meaning he wants to get paid somewhere around $25-27 mil a yr.

If someone offered him that kind of money I'm sure he would take it. But I think it's a leap to say that because he turned down $21M a year that he wants $25-27M. Perhaps he just wants an extra year.

The reality is that at the end of a 4 year contract he would be a thirty something small guard and those guys often don't age well. This may be his last chance to lock up big money. Now if your the Lakers and you can give him that extra year, maybe you can do that at a lower salary per year. Maybe he just wants to say he's making a 9 figure salary and the deal winds up being something like 5 years, $100M.

The truth though is that the market will dictate what he's worth this summer. If some team is willing to give him $25M a year, then that's his value. But from the Lakers standpoint they have the advantage of being able to give him the extra year to try to reduce the per year hit. I would imagine that Dennis is fully aware of some other similar guards and where they dropped off in their respective careers. Some of them saw huge drop offs prior to hitting thirty. I'm sure he is aware of that. So if someone does throw 4 years, $100M at him, I'd imagine the Lakers counter would be something like 5 years, but less than $125M.

Will there actually be a market for him at that price though remain to be seen. His value is probably in the $15-20M range. And if we say its $20M then the most another team would offer him to average that salary would be 4 years, $80M. Since he already turned down more than that reportedly, you are left with him either:

- Not being happy here and just wanting out: That doesn't seem to be the case but you never know.

- Overestimating what he will fetch in free agency and thinking he deserves a $25M+ a year contract. Guys have egos. But if that's the case he will probably be greeted with a harsh reality come free agency.

- He wants to get a fifth year and get himself as much security as he can. Because as I speculated before, I'm sure he understands that he could start losing some of his athleticism by the end of his next deal.

We're all just speculating here. I don't know what's in the guys head. I'm hoping its the latter. The first option would be the worst as he'd probably screw them in free agency.

If it's that he is overvaluing himself then he'll either be in for a rude awakening and might wind up signing for less money in a 5 year deal... Or he might find a team willing to give him a huge deal and the Lakers might be able to sign and trade him to at least get some value back in return.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
joeblow wrote:
PenG_ wrote:

Agreed.

Hopefully this post is OK as I am simply relaying information. If not, feel free to delete it.

I saw the video online and someone posted what they both said.

Schroder said it casually to him "Calm down n****" and that set Kyrie off. He responded "Don't call me n****, you don't know me like that" and he was really upset. His response to hearing DS say this is what got Kyrie ejected. But DS wasn't being aggressive when he used it or racial in any way (at least in my estimation, but I am just an observer so I could be wrong).

Probably the most complicated word in terms of intent/meaning/slang ever in the history of language. Can change meaning depending on who is saying it and the context or tone in which it is said. And even then it can be ambiguous/taken differently by the person.

Also is Kyrie offended because DS said it and is from Germany and not African-American? Who knows.

Kyrie is an odd guy, but I am not going to judge him based on his response to hearing someone else use that word to him. It is a super sensitive issue and for good reason.

Post the link, please.
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
My takeaway is that DS is more comfortable if he’s with another playmaker in the court. He looked good sharing the court with tht tonight—consistently creating opportunities without turning the ball over. Not like when he’s the lone playmaker forcing the issue.

Id really rather talk about DS’s game and how he is furthering his development to help the team instead of this contract nego which wouldnt even be relevant until the offseason.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject:

What I loved seeing in the Nets game is the same thing LBJ does, matchup hunt.

He was hunting out the Nets big men on switches like a predator. We only have 3 guys on this team that can really create off the dribble: LBJ/Dennis/THT. Last year, it was basically LBJ, and then Playoff Rondo.

This is why the Lakers probably wanted a player like Dennis. Can't have LBJ all the work as he hits age 36 and up. It's never been Dennis or THT for me. I think the Lakers would like to keep both to be honest.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He was hunting out the Nets big men on switches like a predator. We only have 3 guys on this team that can really create off the dribble: LBJ/Dennis/THT. Last year, it was basically LBJ, and then Playoff Rondo.

This is why the Lakers probably wanted a player like Dennis. Can't have LBJ all the work as he hits age 36 and up. It's never been Dennis or THT for me. I think the Lakers would like to keep both to be honest.

Yes exactly, a penetrating/attacking/creating wing, a skill-set that only LBJ had last year. (THT was too inexperienced to be counted upon)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes exactly, a penetrating/attacking/creating wing, a skill-set that only LBJ had last year. (THT was too inexperienced to be counted upon)

I think after the first 10 games or so, it was pretty abundantly clear that this was Dennis's strong suit, and not a traditional playmaker (which people are most critical of, when it was pretty obvious that he wasn't brought in for that role, but had to step up to it when LBJ went down).

That's going to be gold in the playoffs.

Think of bringing out guys like Jokic, Gobert, Zubac, etc., in the Western Conference playoffs and just matchup hunting against them. LBJ and Dennis will relentlessly do that.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject:

In the playoffs, you will see more of Dennis taking bigs off the dribble, for now, it is not really worth the physical punishment he would receive.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think after the first 10 games or so, it was pretty abundantly clear that this was Dennis's strong suit, and not a traditional playmaker (which people are most critical of, when it was pretty obvious that he wasn't brought in for that role, but had to step up to it when LBJ went down).

Think of bringing out guys like Jokic, Gobert, Zubac, etc., in the Western Conference playoffs and just matchup hunting against them. LBJ and Dennis will relentlessly do that.

You are right on everything you said. However, I think Dennis has been asked to work on his weaknesses which include being Play-making. His driving and scoring game is going to be there come playoff times but if teams force the ball out of LBJ hands or is out the game then we would need the skills Vogel is trying to develop in him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You are right on everything you said. However, I think Dennis has been asked to work on his weaknesses which include being Play-making. His driving and scoring game is going to be there come playoff times but if teams force the ball out of LBJ hands or is out the game then we would need the skills Vogel is trying to develop in him.

100%. It's a good thing that he's struggling through this b/c it'll only help him personally and the team in the playoffs. I think guys like Dennis, THT, Kuz, Trezz, Kieff have learned to step it up an extra notch in the absence of LBJ/AD.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Still cannot figure out why Schroder was thrown out of the game. I understand Kyrie getting thrown out, but DS was trying to de-escalate the situation and gets tossed
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Still cannot figure out why Schroder was thrown out of the game. I understand Kyrie getting thrown out, but DS was trying to de-escalate the situation and gets tossed

Apparently he waved goodbye and that got him a 2nd tech. Tacky of the refs.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:

I think Dennis is holding back on those drives hunting for bigs to blow by them. I think this is by design. Vogel tends to work on player's weaknesses when games don't matter so they can't be exposed during the PO. When LeBron sits Dennis will have to not only score but set up the table for others.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 122 of 284
Jump to: