View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Seager 4-5. Wow

That is more hits than Bellinger has the entire month (3 for 41).

Jaysis...
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers win
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

What a nice double play to end it!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject:

6-6 game bottom of the 7th, Padres have 2 on with 2 out. Kim is up. He homered in his last AB, though that was against a lefty. Padres still have Machado available to pinch hit later.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Once again SD had SF on the ropes and yet SF escaped unscathed.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Let's revisit this question:

We tie the Giants after 162 games. The rotation right now to finish the season goes:

Wed, game 158: Scherzer
Thu, game 159: Gonsolin
Fri, game 160: Kershaw
Sat, game 161: Urias
Sun, game 162: Buehler

Mon, game 163: ????

Wed, Wild Card: ?????

Fri: NLDS game 1

Does Scherzer pitch game 163 or the Wild Card? I say game 163 because he'd be the only one on full rest. Everyone else would be on short rest.

Or, they don't pitch Buehler for game 162 and save him for game 163? The problem with that is, we'll probably need to win 162 to get to 163. If Buehler doesn't pitch game 162, then Price? Mitch White? Graterol?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Melancon actually had a scoreless appearance against the Giants! Stop the presses. 6-6 headed to the bottom of the 9th. Cronenworth-Tatis-Hosmer due up for the Padres, and they are bringing in lefty Jarlin Garcia, who allowed a 3-run homer last night.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Extra innings in San Diego. After a 2-out double by Hosmer, Garcia got away with a plethora of 0-2 strikes to Profar, who fouled off several pitches before lining out to fairly deep center.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Ross Detwiler in for the Padres in the top of the 10th facing the top of the Giants' order. Yeah, I don't like this at all.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Detwiler walked the leadoff hitter, then was behind 3-0 to both Belt and Kris Bryant, and they both made outs on 3-1 pitches. Talk about a gift. Then he got Duggar to ground out. That was lucky, so now maybe the Padres can walk this off.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

let them both burn as many pitchers as possible
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

1 game back. Unreal turn of events today. It was looking like a 3 game deficit then ended up being a 1 game deficit.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Padres win! A leadoff walk, then a perfectly executed sac bunt by Kim (not surprised at all, Asian players from Asia are well-schooled on bunting), then Caratini's infield grounder up the middle forced La Stella into a dive and then no chance to get the runner at the plate.

Back to 1 down. Back in it. Was looking like 3 down with 9 to play. Life!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Wonder why they didn't walk Caratini to set up the force play at home?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject:

By the way, Luis Castillo is down 2-0 to the Nationals in the 6th. Dude's record is awful this year but of course he beats us. And yes, I'm aware he's pitched much better since June, but that hasn't translated to wins.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

They had Meyers on deck to bat for the pitchers spot. I think they figured to take their chances with Caratini rather rather than Meyrrs with just 1 out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

I didn't watch the whole game, but perhaps I'll throw a theory out at you. It is a similar line of thought to something we talked about in the past with strategy. Wil Myers was in the on-deck circle, I believe in the pitcher's spot. I guess they figured Caratini is a significantly worse hitter than Myers, and you'd still need to get 2 outs if you put Caratini on, so I guess the strategy is to make Caratini beat you, and then if you get him without the run scoring, you now have an open base and just need 1 more out, allowing your pitcher a little bit of rope.

But I totally get what you're saying. Caratini isn't so terrible, and Myers isn't so good, that I would have done what the Giants did. But that may be the analytics play.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

I didn't watch the whole game, but perhaps I'll throw a theory out at you. It is a similar line of thought to something we talked about in the past with strategy. Wil Myers was in the on-deck circle, I believe in the pitcher's spot. I guess they figured Caratini is a significantly worse hitter than Myers, and you'd still need to get 2 outs if you put Caratini on, so I guess the strategy is to make Caratini beat you, and then if you get him without the run scoring, you now have an open base and just need 1 more out, allowing your pitcher a little bit of rope.

But I totally get what you're saying. Caratini isn't so terrible, and Myers isn't so good, that I would have done what the Giants did. But that may be the analytics play.

Yup. Caratini is a bad hitter. But 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, it's hard to get out of that jam.

Especially with any ball put in play, you now have to tag home instead of just having a force.

Plus, you also set up the double play chance.

Somehow I think it's just better to try for an inning ending double play plus the force out at home.

But yeah, Caratini's batting average surely played a huge role in their decision making. But, all he had to do was make a productive out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

^
Another factor, which is something I'm sure plays into the analytics, is that if you make it bases loaded, you bring a walk into play and if the pitcher falls behind, he's under pressure to throw strikes and then the hitter can tee off. I get the logic of making it bases loaded though.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Another factor, which is something I'm sure plays into the analytics, is that if you make it bases loaded, you bring a walk into play and if the pitcher falls behind, he's under pressure to throw strikes and then the hitter can tee off. I get the logic of making it bases loaded though.

This is one thing that is overlooked a lot. Walk means run so it makes it tougher on the pitcher from a stress point.

It was probably a flip with all things considered..Caritini ok hitter..Myers a little better..DP + force factor..walk factor etc and they decided to go with pitching to Caritini.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Seager 4-5. Wow

You might get your wish of the Dodgers re-signing him if he can put together a playoff run like last year and lead us to a title.

He's catching fire at the right time for us.

You know what I’m starting to think now? TT + Seager both. Probably impossible $ wise but man that 1-2-3 of Betts Seager TT is just ridiculous.

Also anyone know Seaver’s defensive numbers since he came back from injury? I feel like he’s been not just good but stellar since he has returned. Could be my Seager bias and I’m too lazy to check fangraphs but I’m seeing rookie Seager defensively at short recently and it’s nice to see.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Seager 4-5. Wow

Jaysis...

Raley has as many hits as Cody I believe since being called up.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Seager 4-5. Wow

You might get your wish of the Dodgers re-signing him if he can put together a playoff run like last year and lead us to a title.

He's catching fire at the right time for us.

You know what I’m starting to think now? TT + Seager both. Probably impossible $ wise but man that 1-2-3 of Betts Seager TT is just ridiculous.
Also anyone know Seaver’s defensive numbers since he came back from injury? I feel like he’s been not just good but stellar since he has returned. Could be my Seager bias and I’m too lazy to check fangraphs but I’m seeing rookie Seager defensively at short recently and it’s nice to see.

He's made only 6 errors this season in 716 innings in the field. Last year in the shortened season, he made 8 errors in 376 innings. His fielding % of .978 is his second-best mark, just behind a .979 mark in 2017. In looking at advanced metrics, he's below-average with range but very good with not making errors, so overall he's pretty neutral. His UZR (Ultimate Zone Rating) is -2.1, but he has a 1 for DRS (Defensive Runs saved), just the second time he's ever posted a positive number in that category (again, 2017, which was clearly his best fielding year).

To compare, Fernando Tatis Jr. has played a similar amount of innings at SS this season (778), yet he has 20 errors and a fielding % of only .939. To make matters worse, his UZR is -7.6 (you wouldn't have thought that) and his DRS is -7. Last year, his DRS was 0, so I'm willing to chalk up his poor defensive season this year to the shoulder injury he's been playing with.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Let's revisit this question:

We tie the Giants after 162 games. The rotation right now to finish the season goes:

Wed, game 158: Scherzer
Thu, game 159: Gonsolin
Fri, game 160: Kershaw
Sat, game 161: Urias
Sun, game 162: Buehler

Mon, game 163: ????

Wed, Wild Card: ?????

Fri: NLDS game 1

Does Scherzer pitch game 163 or the Wild Card? I say game 163 because he'd be the only one on full rest. Everyone else would be on short rest.

Or, they don't pitch Buehler for game 162 and save him for game 163? The problem with that is, we'll probably need to win 162 to get to 163. If Buehler doesn't pitch game 162, then Price? Mitch White? Graterol?

I believe Roberts has confirmed that Scherzer pitches 163, or WC if there is no 163. No word on who pitches WC if we play 163 and lose but I would assume Urias would be in there for a few innings.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
I really don’t want to face Wainwright. Let the Giants deal with that problem, and then we can face the Cardinals after they used him up and pitched him 9 innings. Wainwright nearly pitched a complete game against us last time; he lasted 8.1 innings.

I’d feel good about facing the Cardinals in a best of 7, but in a winner take all matchup where it doesn’t matter how good their #2-#5 starters are, the Cardinals match up well with any team because they have an elite #1 starter. They don’t win much with their other starters but they win with Wainwright; like any elite pitcher you could put him on a bad team and it’s still really tough to beat. And the Cardinals do have some power in their lineup.

Wainwright has historically kinda been our pigeon though and we are definitely NOT one of those teams that he seems to pitch well against. Even at his best in 2013, he lost to Ryu in the playoffs at Dodger Stadium and he also pitched Game 1 at Dodger Stadium in 2014 where he got trashed and sent back to the dugout after giving up 6 runs. Even in regular seasons he doesnt have a consistent track record of dominating us like Schilling or Lester used to do for example. Curt Schilling - now that guy was a Dodger killer whether he was with Philadelphia or Arizona.

I got around to this much later than I expected, but in any case:

But he pitched well in that game in 2013 though (7 innings, 2 earned runs). He lost not because he struggled, but because Ryu was fantastic. He had another playoff game in 2009 with 8 innings pitched and only 1 earned run allowed. So I don’t see any reason to believe he tends to underperform more often against our team. He didn’t look intimidated at all in his last start against the Dodgers.

Also those games and matchups were a long time ago. We didn’t even have the same manager back then.

His career postseason era is 2.89 and he has a lot of postseason experience. Not really a guy I want to face but it sure looks like it will happen now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 189 of 395
Jump to: