View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Seager rips the ball to for a 3 run double. Why anyone would throw him a first pitch strike anymore is beyond me. 4-0 Dodgers.

Mind-boggling.

Especially when he's 85% (just making that up) swinging at the first pitch. I'd throw that sucker in the dirt if I were pitching to him.

I also feel like he swings at the first pitch almost every time he's batting, so I tried looking it up.

He is swinging at the first pitch 54.5% so far this year after 48.7% last season. In all his previous seasons he's in the low 40's - so even though it's a smaller sample size, the stats back up the eye test that he is clearly more aggressive at the plate.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/corey-seager-608369?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

By contrast, Mookie/Muncy/Turner are all in the 20's. Mookie has only exceeded 20% once he joined the Dodgers. Bellinger has moved into the low 30%'s in 2020/2021.

Here’s another article from last year:

Quote:
Let’s begin with Corey Seager. If you’ve watched him play for even a handful of games, you may have noticed his penchant for first-pitch swings. You’d be right – in 2020, he swung at the first pitch 48.7% of the time, which is above the league-average. But this is very misleading. When that first pitch is a strike, Seager is swinging 71.2% of the time. When it’s outside the zone, though? He dials back the aggression, swinging just 22.4% of the time. With this split in mind, you’ll begin to understand why this is possible:
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Hot-streak....

i dont have my hopes up that he has suddenly reached this new incredible level. I mean in 2019 first two months of the season, Bellinger was looking like the next Ted Williams. I wouldnt count on Seager continuing to hit at the level of hitting prowess as a Piazza, Sheffield, Manny Ramirez or even Matt Kemp/Shawn Green at their bests. Eye test to me Seager's natural hitting abiity is slightly better than prime Ethier

It might he a hot streak, but it’s been over a year now and he hasn’t slowed down yet. In fact he keeps getting hotter and hotter.

It started with the offseason before 2020 when there were trade rumors for Lindor.

Then he came into Spring Training and everyone said Seager looks good. But we all wanted to wait until the season started.

Season started and he smoked the ball all season. Dave Roberts said he’s never seen a player hit the ball consistently hard as Seager did all season.

But we all said let’s wait until the playoffs to see if this new Seager can deliver. And dude upped his game in the playoffs and got NLCS MVP and WS MVP.

So we said let’s wait to see if it was a 1 year fluke. Dude came into Spring Training and again smoked the ball. Had an even more impressive Spring Training than last year.

So we said let’s wait until the season starts to see if he can keep it up. Season’s started and he’s absolutely smoking the ball.

If this is considered a “hot streak” it’s lasted very long and has covered:

2 Spring Trainings
1 (60-game) season
1 start to the season
1 entire playoff run
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Hot-streak....

i dont have my hopes up that he has suddenly reached this new incredible level. I mean in 2019 first two months of the season, Bellinger was looking like the next Ted Williams. I wouldnt count on Seager continuing to hit at the level of hitting prowess as a Piazza, Sheffield, Manny Ramirez or even Matt Kemp/Shawn Green at their bests. Eye test to me Seager's natural hitting abiity is slightly better than prime Ethier

It might he a hot streak, but it’s been over a year now and he hasn’t slowed down yet. In fact he keeps getting hotter and hotter.

It started with the offseason before 2020 when there were trade rumors for Lindor.

Then he came into Spring Training and everyone said Seager looks good. But we all wanted to wait until the season started.

Season started and he smoked the ball all season. Dave Roberts said he’s never seen a player hit the ball consistently hard as Seager did all season.

But we all said let’s wait until the playoffs to see if this new Seager can deliver. And dude upped his game in the playoffs and got NLCS MVP and WS MVP.

So we said let’s wait to see if it was a 1 year fluke. Dude came into Spring Training and again smoked the ball. Had an even more impressive Spring Training than last year.

So we said let’s wait until the season starts to see if he can keep it up. Season’s started and he’s absolutely smoking the ball.

If this is considered a “hot streak” it’s lasted very long and has covered:

2 Spring Trainings
1 (60-game) season
1 start to the season
1 entire playoff run

Actually in the past 40 years, I would rate Seager 8th in best Dodger hitters I have seen which is damn good. Using my eye test in terms of pure hitting ability as Dodgers

1. M. Ramirez
2. G. Sheffield
3. M. Piazza
4. P. Guerrero
5. M. Kemp
6. S. Green
7. J. Turner
8. C. Seager
9. C. Bellinger
10. H. Ramirez
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Actually in the past 40 years, I would rate Seager 8th in best Dodger hitters I have seen which is damn good. Using my eye test in terms of pure hitting ability as Dodgers

1. M. Ramirez
2. G. Sheffield
3. M. Piazza
4. P. Guerrero
5. M. Kemp
6. S. Green
7. J. Turner
8. C. Seager
9. C. Bellinger
10. H. Ramirez

Are you judging his entire career or what he’s done lately?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

1. M. Ramirez
2. G. Sheffield
3. M. Piazza
4. P. Guerrero
5. M. Kemp
6. S. Green
7. J. Turner
8. C. Seager
9. C. Bellinger
10. H. Ramirez

Are you judging his entire career or what he’s done lately?

You can call it what do I believe his consistent level to be at his best. In that regard, Manny Ramirez was the best Dodger hitter I have ever seen. It was the closest I have seen to a Bonds level of hitting from a Dodger and his command of the strike zone and lack of any weaknesses as a hitter was evident. Same with Sheffield. If I were to ask you what was a hole in Sheffield's hitting, chances are you wouldnt be able to come up with one because Sheff as a hitter really didnt have any weaknesses or holes and his command of the strikezone was second only to Bonds. Someone like Seager and Belli even at their best putting up great numbers cant be compared as hitters to those guys because even when they were going through their hot streaks, there were a few holes you can exploit to get them out.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Snipes wrote:
Seager rips the ball to for a 3 run double. Why anyone would throw him a first pitch strike anymore is beyond me. 4-0 Dodgers.

Mind-boggling.

Especially when he's 85% (just making that up) swinging at the first pitch. I'd throw that sucker in the dirt if I were pitching to him.

Hot-streak....i dont have my hopes up that he has suddenly reached this new incredible level. I mean in 2019 first two months of the season, Bellinger was looking like the next Ted Williams. I wouldnt count on Seager continuing to hit at the level of hitting prowess as a Piazza, Sheffield, Manny Ramirez or even Matt Kemp/Shawn Green at their bests. Eye test to me Seager's natural hitting abiity is slightly better than prime Ethier

Seager has had many small hot streaks that only came to end due to an injury. Even the years he was somewhat struggling he was always hampered by something and it was the main reason why I didn’t want to trade him. The thing is how long can he stay healthy? Or is he someone that will continuously be bothered by soemthing. So far so good though.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Some rather modest tweaks in tonight's lineup due to injuries...

Betts, cf
Seager, ss
Turner, dh
Muncy, 1b
Pollock, lf
Rios, 3b
Lux, 2b
Barnes, c
McKinstry, rf
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Roided up Manny was an absolute monster. The 2013 version of Hanley Ramirez was unreal. Seager has been locked in since spring training last year. He's just on everything. I was someone that wanted to trade him. Didn't think he had this in him, or, if he did, I figured it would be fleeting because he'd get hurt again. And look, maybe that will still happen. It is still a relatively small sample size. However, it's beyond the small sample size of the games played, in my opinion, since this has now carried over from one calendar year into the next. And we did see this type of hitting potential when he was just starting out in the league, until the injuries slowed him down. It's possible he's going to be a .300 hitting, .900-.950 OPS type for the next few years. I still don't see the Dodgers giving him a $300MM contract, but hey, perhaps they will decide that between he and Bellinger, he's the one that deserves the commitment because he's a much tougher out at the plate. Then again, even if the Dodgers want him, with Scott Boras as his agent, he seems likely to go to the highest bidder, and that may not be us. All in all, I think this is his last year in Dodger blue. So enjoy it, folks.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully Kershaw can come up with a good start tonight and help the Dodgers keep it rolling.

A 5-1 start sounds so much better than a 4-2 start but I know I am greedy! It is just this...the Dodgers are favored in every game, home or away. Literally.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Gave up b2b rockets to Lowrie and Laureano but I have not seen his stuff break this much in a long time...we could be in for a great outing. Weird first inning thus far for Kersh.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Kersh has settled in, stuff looking nasty
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

How beautiful that the Astros are winning. Only fitting to play and beat them in the World Series and only fitting to continue smashing the guy "Don Drysdale" who left us - Zack Greinke. We will "Yu Darvish" Greinke the way we always did when he pitched for the Diamondbacks
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Piscotty just homered on an 89mph fastball.

Not good news for his velocity this year...

Ok, foul but still...

89mph is not good.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Great job by Kershaw!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Ok, foul but still...

89mph is not good.

Hit 92 a few times in the 7th
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Classic Kersh after some early jitters.

Props to my man Mookie on his first bomb of the young year. Give us all a little sigh of relief for Treinen and Kenly to close up shop with less anxiety than without that insurance run.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Ok, foul but still...

89mph is not good.

Hit 92 a few times in the 7th

Nice!

Yeah he’s gotta stay above 91.

89 just won’t work
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Per LA Times:

Quote:
Bellinger status unclear
Roberts said tests on Bellinger’s calf revealed no structural damage, but the club could still place the center fielder on the injured list.

“There’s still obviously residual soreness,” Roberts said, “so I don’t know what we’re going to do as far as IL, no IL. I think we’re in a decent spot, but even with that, I just don’t know when the return will be.”

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Per LA Times:

Quote:
Bellinger status unclear
Roberts said tests on Bellinger’s calf revealed no structural damage, but the club could still place the center fielder on the injured list.

“There’s still obviously residual soreness,” Roberts said, “so I don’t know what we’re going to do as far as IL, no IL. I think we’re in a decent spot, but even with that, I just don’t know when the return will be.”

Nothing to worry about. Unlike the Padres, who are INSANE if they push Tatis to play in 10-14 days, the Dodgers realize that they can afford to let Bellinger rest if need be. This team is loaded and there is no reason whatsoever to push anyone. I'm fine with giving him the 10 days off.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Per LA Times:

Quote:
Bellinger status unclear

Nothing to worry about. Unlike the Padres, who are INSANE if they push Tatis to play in 10-14 days, the Dodgers realize that they can afford to let Bellinger rest if need be. This team is loaded and there is no reason whatsoever to push anyone. I'm fine with giving him the 10 days off.

Yeah, I'm just overaly cranky as neither my Dodgers or Lakers can catch a break on the health of their respective superstars/MVPs at the moment. Also CT3 is out for who knows how long so we are short a couple outfielders.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

Welp, good news CT3 returns to the lineup for the series finale, however both MVPs are out...

Some rather modest tweaks in tonight's lineup due to injuries...

Taylor, cf
Seager, ss
Turner, 3b
Smith, c
Pollock, lf
Muncy, 1b
Barnes, dh
Lux, 2b
McKinstry, rf
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Bauer’s been dominant in his 2 starts so far. Basically given up 1 hit save for 1 bad 7th inning in Colorado.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject:

We got the run in because McKinstry is awesome, but my God Austin Barnes almost gave me a heart attack with an awful baserunning blunder. Dude, the run is going to score, you can't run into that out right there because he almost took the run off the board. Idiotic by Barnes but at least we scored.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Kenley blows the save (shocker). Let's hope he can keep it tied.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Kenley gets out of it tied but, boy, he looked terrible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 30 of 395
Jump to: